Terra, the Warlord|Shaman

16 posts / 0 new
Last post

Terra's a Changeling and is very good at what she does.  She loves to boss people around (Commander's Strike and Claws of the Eagle for at-wills) and is really designed around getting her allies motivated to attack the bad guys.  (Provacative Order as Encounter and Great Watcher Spirit as Daily).  Now that she's level 2, she's taken Knight's Move, so she can even get them into position before telling them to hit something.

She is the consumate Dominatrix (leather armor? Check.  Whip?  Well, I'm working on that part... she's got a longspear right now) and likes to scream and yell at her allies when telling them what to do.  She also like to scream and yell at the bad guys when they get near her.

Her spirit companion is rudely ignored most of the time, until she needs it for Healing Spirits, then she will make use of it with Claws of the Eagle.  Until then, she'll get near an ally and use Commander's Strike.  Now that she has Knight's Move, she's not above healing a dying ally, telling them to stand up and then making them charge back into battle (minor action heal, knight's move move, provacative order standard.)

None of her attacks, currently, involve her lifting a d20 at all.  She is all about bossing people around and keeping them alive (or trying to, in some cases.)

EDIT (08/09): Here is the Character Builder summary for Terra at level 8.

At level 4, she retrained away from Martial Readiness in favor of the additional healing of Vigorous Spirits and to take the Artificer MC feat.  She also swapped out Commander's Strike for Direct the Strike, which is more to her liking (no need to get right into melee combat now.)  You will notice that her powers are more and more focused on getting her allies to make more attacks per round, which works out nicely when it does work.  Her new level 5 daily should be a nice addition to her attack list. 

At level 6, she took Spur the Pack for her Shaman utility power.  At level 7, she retrained a feat to be a Ritual Caster and bought Tensor's Floating Disk.  But, at level, 8, she retrained out of Ritual Caster because being prone on a Tensor's Floating Disk sucked, to be quite honest.  I enjoyed the role-playing aspect, but in LFR, that just doesn't fly all the time.  Maybe in a homebrew game....

Note that this build is her current build at level 8.  Since she hasn't played in any mods since she made level 08, this is all still up for changes.  I'm considering MCing her to Psion or Ardent currently, since the new Psionic Power book has some nifty new paragon paths which fit this build quite nicely (one is a Thrallherd, which means she has a thrall to do her bidding and the other is a "lazy Ardent" paragon path where you tell your allies to make attacks with both the encounter and daily power.  Nice. 

She bought a Dragontooth Shield and took Ninth Legion Student, so she can use Direct the Strike in place of a MBA on opp. attacks. 

EDIT (04/14/11) - Terra is now level 11 and has taken up the Catalyst paragon path.  She has exactly *one* power which she has to make attack rolls on, which allows her to qualify for the action point ability of her paragon path.  Mindlink Strike is a level 7 Ardent power which normally allows an ally to make an attack but when augmented 2 points, allows the Ardent to make a Close Burst 1 attack and then allow allies to attack from there.  I think it works out alright for Terra but I wish this paragon path had just stuck to being a Catalyst and let the action point ability grant an attack or offer some bonus healing or something.  I am updating the build in the spoiler block to her latest version.  ** NOTE: I am still using the original off-line character builder.  **

Terra, Shaman|Warlord, Level 11

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Terra, level 11
Changeling, Shaman|Warlord, Catalyst
Companion Spirit (Hybrid): Watcher Spirit (Hybrid)
Hybrid Shaman: Hybrid Shaman Will
Warlord Leadership: Battlefront Leader (Hybrid)
Hybrid Warlord: Hybrid Warlord Will
Hybrid Talent: Commanding Presence (Hybrid)
Commanding Presence (Hybrid): Insightful Presence (Hybrid)
Background: Impiltur (Impiltur Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 13, Con 13, Dex 9, Int 16, Wis 21, Cha 14.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 12, Con 10, Dex 8, Int 13, Wis 18, Cha 11.

AC: 26 Fort: 20 Reflex: 22 Will: 25
HP: 83 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 20

TRAINED SKILLS
Perception +15, Nature +15, Arcana +13, Bluff +18

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +1, Diplomacy +7, Dungeoneering +10, Endurance +3, Heal +10, History +8, Insight +14, Intimidate +7, Religion +8, Stealth +1, Streetwise +7, Thievery +1, Athletics +3

FEATS
Level 1: Hybrid Talent
Level 2: Fervent Talent
Level 4: Psionic Dabbler
Level 6: Ninth Legion Student
Level 8: Focused Mind (retrained to Armor Proficiency: Hide at Level 11)
Level 10: Battle Caster Defense
Level 11: Fight On

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Direct the Strike
Hybrid at-will 1: Claws of the Eagle
Hybrid encounter 1: Powerful Warning
Hybrid daily 1: Great Watcher Spirit
Hybrid utility 2: Knight's Move
Hybrid encounter 3: Sly Fox Spirit
Hybrid daily 5: Destructive Surprise
Hybrid utility 6: Primal Investiture
Hybrid encounter 7: Friendly Fire (retrained to Mindlink Strike at Psionic Dabbler)
Hybrid daily 9: Warlord's Recovery
Hybrid utility 10: Spirit Summons

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit, Climber's Kit, Potion of Healing (heroic tier), Amulet of Protection +2, Diamond Cincture (heroic tier), Alchemical Reagents (Arcana) (40), Dragontooth Shield Heavy Shield (heroic tier), Vengeful Spirit Totem +2, Resplendent Gloves (heroic tier), Resplendent Boots (heroic tier), Resplendent Circlet (heroic tier), Resplendent Cloak +2, Veteran's Earthhide Armor +3
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

if she doesn't make any attack rolls or damage rolls there's no reason not to use a whip.
if she doesn't make any attack rolls or damage rolls there's no reason not to use a whip.

Yeah.  I know ... she doesn't need proficiency in order to wield it and use the reach property.  I was using the longspear because of the possible use of it as an Alfsair Longspear +x for use with the shaman powers.  But she can wield a spear as an Alfsair Spear and a whip and it would work the same.

I have a Genasi Warlord wielding a longsword and a whip .. she doesn't have whip proficiency either. 
I would start her out with a whip -- she doesn't need the longspear until she actually obtains a totemic or alfsair spear with reach.  There are a couple of things I am trying to recall about this concept of a character who never attacks -- How far can you advance her before she has to take a power that requires her to attack?  Before that point, isn't her racial power wasted? 
Well, I think her level 5 daily has to be a Warlord daily at this point and none of them are Effect: only, so it'll be at that point that she has to start making attack rolls, which sucks cause of his abysmal STR.  But I might be able to sacrifice and retrain her level 1 daily to be a Warlock daily so that she can get a decent level 5 daily with a WIS based attack.

:: Shrugs ::

I haven't had a chance to play her since she hit level 2 and took Knight's Move, so I'm not sure where to go next with her.

Also, my strategies tend to play around treasure picks in LFR, so if I find an item which gives me a new angle to look at her build, I might retrain some stuff at her next level up.
I got a chance to put such a character together in the Character Builder last night.  I actually found a level 5 daily with no attack roll -- I think it might have been Scent of Victory.  There was a hole at 7th level, but multiclassing into wizard, taking novice power, and picking up Arcane Bolt and Storm Pillar took care of that.  I got stuck at 11th level -- there is currently no paragon path whose 11th level encounter power does not require an attack roll.  Paragon hybrid or paragon multiclassing would do the trick if we got a few more non-attack roll powers....
I'd say traveler's harlequin for PP yes the at-will is an attack roll, but it's based on highest stat, no weapon, no impliment
level 20 with only one attack roll, int as a secondary stat

level 20

Gnome, Shaman|Warlord, Traveler's Harlequin

Companion Spirit (Hybrid): Stalker Spirit (Hybrid)

Hybrid Shaman: Hybrid Shaman Fortitude

Traveler's Unpredictable Power: Traveler's Unpredictable Power (Daily)

Background: Eldritch Harlequin (Eldritch Harlequin Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES

Str 9, Con 17, Dex 14, Int 23, Wis 17, Cha 13.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES

Str 8, Con 14, Dex 13, Int 16, Wis 14, Cha 10.

AC: 34 Fort: 28 Reflex: 31 Will: 28

HP: 124 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 31

TRAINED SKILLS

Nature +18, Athletics +14, Bluff +17, Arcana +23

UNTRAINED SKILLS

Acrobatics +12, Diplomacy +11, Dungeoneering +13, Endurance +13, Heal +13, History +16, Insight +13, Intimidate +11, Perception +13, Religion +16, Stealth +14, Streetwise +11, Thievery +13

FEATS

Learned Spellcaster: Ritual Caster

Level 1: Learned Spellcaster

Level 4: Novice Power

POWERS

Hybrid at-will 1: Commander's Strike

Traveler's Unpredictable Power (Daily): Exhorted Counterattack

Hybrid encounter 1: Provocative Order

Hybrid daily 5: Scent of Victory

Hybrid utility 6: Sudden Restoration

Hybrid encounter 7: Hammer of the Grasping Tides (retrained to Radiant Pillar at Novice Power)

Hybrid daily 9: Warlord's Recovery

Hybrid utility 10: Primal Gust

Hybrid utility 16: Warlord's Banner

ITEMS

Whip, Magic Anathema Armor +5, Torc of Power Preservation +4

=

I got my dominatrix all the way to 19th level by giving her the Windrise Ports background, multiclassing into wizard and cleric, and taking the Divine Oracle paragon path.  Her 11th level encounter attack power has no attack roll, so she is not forced to take a power with an attack roll until 20th level.  Now if I can find a way to swap out that paragon daily attack power, I might be able to get her all the way to 30th level.  One problem, of course, is that at this point I have used up my multiclass options.  I think it might not be too much longer before we can take this concept all the way to 30th level.
With the release of Martial Power 2, we may now have options for getting a non-attacking character all the way to 30th level.  The addition of another non-attack at-will power for warlords makes it possible for the character to be a human shaman|warlord.  The Adroit Explorer and Paragon Hybrid paragon paths can be set up to give no attack powers.  I will have to wait until I get my own copy of the book to see what I can put together.
Well, Terra is currently still level 3.  But I did a build her up to level 30 this past weekend to see what powers she might take.  I gave her the Chameleon paragon path which will likely see no use except for the Utility power part at level 12.  I guess it depends on what other classes she's grouped with when I get her to that level.

Her level 1 encounter power is Powerful Warning now, from Martial Power 2.  It fits more with her "boss 'em around and keep 'em healthy" approach.  She took Martial Readiness, so she can swap between Commander's Strike and Direct the Strike at the beginning of a mod (a new day, one would hope) depending on the classes she's grouped with for that mod. 

I decided on the Darklord epic destiny for the time being, just because it sounds cool but that is likely to change.  I might end up going with the Reincarnated Champion.  Her first past spirit: Eladrin.  Her second one: Shader-kai.  ;)
I played Terra some at MobiCon this past weekend.  The first mod she played in, she was at a table with two rogues, a ranger and a druid.  She bossed the druid around mostly in beast form, but the ranger got to make a few off-turn attacks as well. 

The second mod she played in, she was at a table with two rangers and a fighter.  She spread the commanding goodness to the other players  but mostly to the fighter but they were all rolling poorly.  At one point, the lady playing the fighter said I could tell someone else to make attacks if I thought they might have a better chance to hit and I told her I had faith in her fighter (and her dice) and the next attack I told her to make, she critted then nearly maxed out the 3d12 crit dice from her vicious +2 high crit weapon!  Very nice. 

Anyway, I'll update the main post with her new build as soon as I get home. 
Wow.  It's been a while since I update this post.  I'm going to update Terra's build in the first thread but it's also listed below in spoiler blocks for those who just want to see it and not go all the way back to the first thread to get to it. 

Terra, Shaman|Warlord, Level 08

Terra, level 8
Changeling, Shaman|Warlord
Companion Spirit (Hybrid): Watcher Spirit (Hybrid)
Hybrid Shaman: Hybrid Shaman Will
Warlord Leadership: Battlefront Leader (Hybrid)
Hybrid Talent: Commanding Presence (Hybrid)
Commanding Presence (Hybrid): Insightful Presence (Hybrid)
Background: Impiltur (Impiltur Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 11, Dex 8, Int 16, Wis 20, Cha 14.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 11, Dex 8, Int 14, Wis 18, Cha 10.

AC: 23 Fort: 16 Reflex: 21 Will: 24
HP: 67 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 16

TRAINED SKILLS
Perception +15, Nature +14, Arcana +12, Religion +12

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +1, Bluff +8, Diplomacy +6, Dungeoneering +9, Endurance +2, Heal +9, History +7, Insight +13, Intimidate +6, Stealth +1, Streetwise +6, Thievery +1, Athletics +2

FEATS
Level 1: Hybrid Talent
Level 2: Initiate of the Faith
Level 4: Pacifist Healer
Level 6: Ninth Legion Student
Level 8: Acolyte Power

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Direct the Strike
Hybrid encounter 1: Powerful Warning
Hybrid daily 5: Destructive Surprise
Hybrid utility 6: Warp in the Weave (retrained to Bastion of Health at Acolyte Power)
Hybrid encounter 7: Overwhelming Force Trap

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit, Climber's Kit, Potion of Healing (heroic tier), Watchful Spirit Totem +1, Amulet of Protection +2, Reading Spectacles (heroic tier), Obsidian Steed (heroic tier), Diamond Cincture (heroic tier), Rat Killer's Coat Leather Armor +2, Alchemical Reagents (Arcana) (40), Dragontooth Shield Heavy Shield (heroic tier)
RITUALS
Tenser's Floating Disk

So, Terra is level 08 now.

I've made some changes but she is still the same ol' Drill Sargeant that I've been playing her as.  When she hit level 7, I had retrained a feat to Ritual Casting and bought Tensor's Floating Disk, thinking that might be a cool schtick to have for battles and making sure people remember Terra.  Well, it didn't work out too well.  At level out, she re-retrained out of Ritual Caster and into Ninth Legion Student.  She bought a Dragontooth Shield (Heavy Shield) to hold in one hand while she continues to use her Watchful Spirit Totem in the main hand.  This allows her to use Direct the Strike in place of a MBA for opportunity attacks.

Also, she's MC Cleric now, but since I haven't played her at level 8 in LFR, that's subject to change.  I'm thinking about getting her to multiclass into Psion and have the new Thrallherd Psion paragon path from Psionic Power.  It just seems to fit with the build very much.  Either that, or MC Ardent and take the new Catalyst Ardent paragon path, which has no attack rolls in either the encounter or daily powers.  Very nice for her as well. 
Terra is level 11 now.  I decided on the Catalyst for her Paragon Path, so she is multiclasses Ardent.  I took the feat to swap an encounter power and I took Mind Link Strike.  I will only use the Augment 2 form, but that gives me an attack to use with the Catalyst's action point feature, which requires me to make an attack roll.  Kind of silly, really, since the Catalyst seems to be all about giving out attacks to your allies.

:: Shrugs ::  Oh well.  I'll post her current build later and I'll update the first post, as well.
Wow.  Just a little over a year ... that's how long it took for me to get Terra from Level 11 to Level 14.  And she's changed a bit.

No longer is she MCd Ardent.  Now, she is MCd Cleric.  She has the Pacifist Cleric feat and, instead of the encounter<->augment at-will power swap, she has the Utility power swap for Word of Vigor.  Once per encounter, she can heal her allies in a Close Burst 1, letting them spend a healing surge and regain 4d6+CHA mod hit points.

She is a World Speaker Shaman (so she has an attack at-will...) and she has the Opp. Action which stops an enemy from moving when it provokes from my SC.

Warlord at-will is still Direct the Strike.

Build will be posted in the first post later tonight. 
Terra is level 17 now.  She's a Divine Oracle (which is nice for her few attacks which target Will.)  She took the new Chauntea feat which lets her lose a healing surge whenever she allows an ally to spend a healing surge, so an ally without any surges can still benefit from her healing.  Now she just needs to get more surges...  :P

She is still wearing Plate armor with no proficiency and uses a Heavy Shield.  I'm trying to figure out how to get plate proficiency for her but all of her feat slots are used and it will take way too many to get her to plate, anyway. 

I don't think I ever updated the first post build, so I'll be doing that with the level 17 version in a little bit.  And I'll post it here too!     
Sign In to post comments