Gamma World 4E

485 posts / 0 new
Last post
Anyone else seen this?  It is one way they can show the rules being used in other genres.  Not a new setting, but an old favorite of mine.  I'll be interested to see more.
People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. --George Orwell There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people. --Howard Zinn He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster. --Friedrich Nietzsche Devil\'s Brigade
2 settings for 2010... dark sun & gamma world...

kind of a curveball...
3rd ed SRD, character sheets, errata & free modules 4th ed test drive - modules, starter rules, premade characters and character builder & character sheet, errata Free maps and portraits, dice, printable graph paper, campaign managing website, image manipulation program + token maker & zone markers

"All right, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD! I DON'T WANT YOUR **** LEMONS! WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO WITH THESE?! DEMAND TO SEE LIFE'S MANAGER! Make life RUE the day it thought it could give CAVE JOHNSON LEMONS! DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?! I'M THE MAN WHO'S GONNA BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that's gonna BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN!" -Cave Johnson, Portal 2
Next year maybe we'll get to see Boot Hill 4E!
People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. --George Orwell There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people. --Howard Zinn He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster. --Friedrich Nietzsche Devil\'s Brigade
I.like.this.
A.lot.
Cool
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
Even though the potential for unbalanced characters was really high, one of the things I really enjoyed way back with the original game was the random nature of character creation.  I'll be interested to see character creation 4E style.  What kind of choices will you have?  Will there be any random factors?  Will the races be generalities like humans, felines, ursines, canes, etc.?  So much to ponder.
Top Secret 4E (though I think it'd technically be 3E...)

-Cal
Top Secret 4E (though I think it'd technically be 3E...)

-Cal

I played both Top secret and Top Secret SI.  Fun games.  The hand to hand combat was fun and hilarious in Top Secret.  Personally, though, I find the Spycraft game to be a worthy successor to the Top Secret games.  Still, though, I'd still be interested in checking it out.
I'll buy just so I can combine Darksun and gamma world and get funky warriors of Mar thing going. If they release a thing on Spelljammer I add that to.Laughing
I like the notion of a single-shot supplement to update an old setting that doesn't take up the One Per Year slot.

It would mean a lot of the older settings that don't require significant crunch, like Greyhawk, could be reborn without interfering with the possibility of new settings.
For the first time in a long time, I want to be a beta tester again. What felony do I need to commit to get on the beta testing team for that?
WotC_Trevor recently posted this over at ENWorld:

www.enworld.org/forum/general-rpg-discus...

Looks like we'll be getting more info out of DDXP - and if I'm not mistaken the Seminar on D&D Product is tomorrow at 1:00.

So, stay tuned for more goodness from the show!
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

I keep waiting to here news about the 4E adaptation of Metamorphosis Alpha by Signal Fire Studios.  Hope both of these are good products.  Will I be able to play a cyborg or mutant plant in LFR?

Identical Games

D&D Published World foums at The Piazza (Dark Sun, Mystara, Spelljammer, Planescape, and more); Core Coliseum; D&D Material including my Master/Expert DM Competition entries

Interesting.  I am definitely excited.  This gives me hope for a 4e Modern.
First edition of Gamma World was an AWESOME fun game (rules were rather horrible though). The whole wacky mutation system and all the crazy off the wall tech was just hilarious. Mechanically it was pretty questionable. The problem was the later editions were all pretty crappy. Bringing 'balance' to that system kind of kills the atmosphere of it.

I guess we'll have to hope they go back to the first edition for their inspiration and that they understand what made it so much fun and don't try to 4e-ize it too much. It could be a very fun game if its done right, or a turkey if its not.

I'll be waiting with baited breath to see how it goes!
That is not dead which may eternal lie
4e is all about balance, so my guess is this is going to be balanced, and not off-the-wall like initial editions.  My guess is that each PC chooses a race (Pure Strain Human, Android, Mutated Human, Mutated Plant) and each race will have two or three builds that allow each race to fulfill a party role. 

PSH = Defender/Leader/Striker
Android = Controller/Defender/Striker
Mutant (animal or man) = Controller/Leader/Striker
Mutated Plant = Controller/Defender/Leader

Or something like that.
Color me intrigued   Can Star Frontiers, Top Secret and Dark*Matter be far behind?
Is anyone currently converting Expedition to Barrier Peaks to 4E as a prelude to Gamma World?

I'm willing to give it a shot if I someone could tell me what the legal/social rules and restrictions are.

futuretech_expedition.jpg

I love the ray gun on the cover.
 Gamma World 4E?

Consider this my pre-order. Good, bad, passable, I'm buying it, sight unseen, not having read a single review.

I'm going to play a bright blue sentient tree that shoots lazer beams out of it's eyestalks again. That makes me happy on more levels than I can possibly express... Tongue out

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

4e is all about balance, so my guess is this is going to be balanced, and not off-the-wall like initial editions.  My guess is that each PC chooses a race (Pure Strain Human, Android, Mutated Human, Mutated Plant) and each race will have two or three builds that allow each race to fulfill a party role. 

PSH = Defender/Leader/Striker
Android = Controller/Defender/Striker
Mutant (animal or man) = Controller/Leader/Striker
Mutated Plant = Controller/Defender/Leader

Or something like that.

Yeah, but to really get the crazy flavor there just NEEDS to be a way to do random mutations, and you need to be able to be zotted by a ray gun and intensity 14 radiation gives you a mutation! lol. We all know its not balanced. It just seems like the GW 2nd and 3rd edition authors really didn't understand how it was the zaniness of the whole thing, combined with the pathos of the original setting that made it so immensely fun.

I don't mind if there are roles and even classes, but they need to work in some kind of way to recapture the craziness of it all. That was one game that really thrived on everything hanging on a single die roll.
I am surprised, and curious.  I look forward to finding out what, exactly, this product (and product line, I'm assuming) will entail.

I... honestly have no reaction beyond that.  More or less just curiousity.
Feedback Disclaimer
Yes, I am expressing my opinions (even complaints - le gasp!) about the current iteration of the play-test that we actually have in front of us. No, I'm not going to wait for you to tell me when it's okay to start expressing my concerns (unless you are WotC). (And no, my comments on this forum are not of the same tone or quality as my actual survey feedback.)
A Psion for Next (Playable Draft) A Barbarian for Next (Brainstorming Still)
Never played Gamma World but it always sounded like fun.  I'd pick it up outta curiosity.

Color me intrigued   Can Star Frontiers, Top Secret and Dark*Matter be far behind?

Now these games I'd pick up in a fit of nostalgia ;).  I hope WotC is on the same wavelength here.  Very fun idea, bringing back games like these I think.

/\ Art
Huh.  152 pages - about 2/3 the thickness of the PHB II. 

I can't see how they can make a playable game out of that many pages.  Even if they say, "Use the normal D&D rules" and give us only races, classes, feats, items, etc... specific to D&D, I can't see fitting in enough crunch into 152 pages to make a reasonably playable setting.

Further, I wonder if we'll be seeing articles about Gamma World displace articles about core D&D.  in Dragon/Dungeon.  That will rub a large number of people the wrong way.  Of course, so would ignoring GW in Dragon/Dungeon...  Perhaps they'll release a core book and then outsource support to someone else to avoid the issue?
D&D & Boardgames If I have everything I need to run great games for many years without repeating stuff, why do I need to buy anything right now?
Huh.  152 pages - about 2/3 the thickness of the PHB II. 

I can't see how they can make a playable game out of that many pages.  Even if they say, "Use the normal D&D rules" and give us only races, classes, feats, items, etc... specific to D&D, I can't see fitting in enough crunch into 152 pages to make a reasonably playable setting.

Further, I wonder if we'll be seeing articles about Gamma World displace articles about core D&D.  in Dragon/Dungeon.  That will rub a large number of people the wrong way.  Of course, so would ignoring GW in Dragon/Dungeon...  Perhaps they'll release a core book and then outsource support to someone else to avoid the issue?

Meh, the original First Edition rules are only 56 pages. Admittedly with the style of typography and larger amount of graphics they use now that probably brings it up to 100 pages. Remember, PHB1 has what, 8 classes and 8 races. The real core parts of the rules boils down to 50 pages including combat. Even call it 75 pages. Then you need 3 races (PSH, Mutant, Animal) plus maybe 5 classes. Then you have some items. I think they can do it. Remember there really wasn't a lot of fluff in the original game. It gives you the core rules mechanics, some advice on how to run the game, a little blurb on Cryptic Alliances, and a few other minor bits thrown in here and there plus whatever you can figure out from things like the list of artifacts, etc.

I think its certainly possible. 152 pages would be cramped but doable if they don't waste a lot of space on layout. Plenty of systems come it at well under that page count.
I have a feeling its going to be very crunch heavy with barely a few pages of fluff.
I would like to see a system where you can freely chose between the setting appropriate power sources each time you level up.

Do you practice your personal skills or master your mutant powers or study lost tech.

I was kind of thinking about a small to medium list of mutations and using power and feat choices for diversity.

Two mutants with blast, one chooses fire another lightning one learns to make a fire ball at 3rd lvel and the other learns to field strip a slug thrower instead of upgrading his mutation.

Pure strains would get a bonuse tech power or with tech powers

I could also see kickers for mutations. An animal mutant with claws is some how better with them then a humanoid.

This is all the random stuff I came up with since I heard about it

In theory this will be the first of many genre books do you think they may make a third online magazine. If I remember the final issues of polyhydron had all kinds of fun and crazzy variations on 3rd edition ogl. ( like Hi-jinx the zany rock music mystery solving cartoon game that killed combat and reanimated it as playing music to gain fans )
The sea looks at the stabillity of the mountian and sighs. The mountian watches the freedom of the sea and cries.

Further, I wonder if we'll be seeing articles about Gamma World displace articles about core D&D.  in Dragon/Dungeon.  That will rub a large number of people the wrong way.  Of course, so would ignoring GW in Dragon/Dungeon

Maybe they'll bring back the Ares section of Dragon?

Further, I wonder if we'll be seeing articles about Gamma World displace articles about core D&D.  in Dragon/Dungeon.  That will rub a large number of people the wrong way.  Of course, so would ignoring GW in Dragon/Dungeon

Maybe they'll bring back the Ares section of Dragon?

Hard to say, but given that an electronic magazine doesn't have any hard and fast page count restrictions there's no real reason they can't publish articles on a limitless number of different games and settings as long as each one draws in enough audience to justify paying writers to do the work. If DDI supports Gamma World then GW fans will sign up for it. Of course 90% of them are probably D&D players too, but one never knows. GW had a pretty good fan base in its heyday and if its done well it could bring in more new players. In these days of doubt and uncertainty about the future a light hearted post-apocalypse game might just do really well.
3 Races: 6 pages. 
5 Classes: 75 pages. 
Feats: 20 pages.
(New) Skills: 5 pages. 
Items, Vehicles, etc...: 50 pages?

That seems to be about all they'd have room for in a book like this.  Unfortunately, that seems like a pretty thin basis for an RPG setting.   I am curious...

Regarding Dragon/Dungeon and GW: 

The idea that they can just add more content onto what they already do seems a bit far fetched to me.  The vast majority of the GW players will be D&D players.  Accordingly, adding GW stuff to Dragon will encourage few additional DDI subscriptions.  As such, they will be hard pressed to justify spending the additional funds necessary to provide 'additional' materials in Dragon to support the game.  If they do support it, they'll have to do it in lieu of some of their D&D support.  In other words, instead of spending additional cash to pay for additional articles, additional editing, additional technical support, etc... they'll need to use their normal people and resources and do less D&D.

Further, there are presentation issues that make including GW problematic in D&D online mags.  People don't like searching for useful content.  They don't want to sort through countless articles to find one they can use.  If we start dropping Gamma World, Cthulhu, Top Secret, Modern, Star Frontiers, etc... into Dragon then there will be more and more material that people find to be useless for them.  That will raise ire.

Regardless, this is all speculation at the moment.  I have a feeling that D&D XP will answer a good number of questions for us.

D&D & Boardgames If I have everything I need to run great games for many years without repeating stuff, why do I need to buy anything right now?
I'm really interested in seeing this version of Gamma World and I also hope to see more of these "Genre Settings". This might be the way they do Oriental Adventures. Planescape and Spelljammer might be possibilities. I personally hope to see Urban Arcana most.
Bring on the old Marvel game. I know this is most likely pipe dreaming, with licensing and all. But a guy can dream can't he.
The Marvel Super Heroes game would work well with the new 4E. I believe the new psonics system in the PH3 would work well in this format. 
For the first time in a long time, I want to be a beta tester again. What felony do I need to commit to get on the beta testing team for that?

So you're saying you want to beta test Gamma World....

Wizards of the Coast has just announced (via Twitter) that a new edition of Gamma World will be published in October 2010Laughing The following details were released:

• The Gamma World rule book will be 160 pages and include everything you need to play, covering character creation through GM advice.

• The rules will be strongly rooted in the 4e Dungeons & Dragons game mechanics.

• The rule book will include 30 different monsters, including badders and yarns.

• The rule book will include an adventure with 10 encounters, providing enough experience to raise character levels by 2.

• The game will incorporate a card component. 40 tech cards and 40 mutation cards will be included.

• Booster packs of random tech and mutation cards will be available for purchase separately.

• The rule book will be supported with a boxed set release, Famine in Fargo. This adventure will include 16 encounters, token sheets, poster maps, and 10 additional GM cards. Oh, and mutant chickens... can't forget the mutant chickens.

• Booster packs of random tech and mutation cards will be available for purchase separately.

Aaaaand they lost me.

Aaaaand they lost me.

Nobody said you couldn't make your own. Wink You can't tell me that you've never expanded from the mutations and tech in the other editions...

Kerry

So you're saying you want to beta test Gamma World....

I was thinking of loosely basing the campaign on "The Omega Man".

Aaaaand they lost me.

Nobody said you couldn't make your own.  You can't tell me that you've never expanded from the mutations and tech in the other editions...

Kerry

Oh, I'll probably buy the original setting book.  If nothing else, I'm interested in seeing how futuristic equipment gets integrated to the D&D rules.  But I'm not going to play a collectible card game.  And I'm not going to support that business model.

Oh, I'll probably buy the original setting book.  If nothing else, I'm interested in seeing how futuristic equipment gets integrated to the D&D rules.  But I'm not going to play a collectible card game.  And I'm not going to support that business model.

My hope is that the card component is some sort of variant of what Fantasy Flight Games did with the Warhammer RPG. Although I haven't played it, I've read good things...

Kerry

• The Gamma World rule book will be 160 pages and include everything you need to play, covering character creation through GM advice.

• The rules will be strongly rooted in the 4e Dungeons & Dragons game mechanics.

• The rule book will include 30 different monsters, including badders and yarns.

• The rule book will include an adventure with 10 encounters, providing enough experience to raise character levels by 2.

• The game will incorporate a card component. 40 tech cards and 40 mutation cards will be included.

• The rule book will be supported with a boxed set release, Famine in Fargo. This adventure will include 16 encounters, token sheets, poster maps, and 10 additional GM cards. Oh, and mutant chickens... can't forget the mutant chickens.

Hmm... Not liking the card component.  Especially the booster packs.  I'm unsure how I feel about it being a complete game.  On the one side it is nice for playing but it also means less new material.  I have all the other versions so I'll probably get this one.  If nothing else I'll need to add the monsters to my big monster list.

Identical Games

D&D Published World foums at The Piazza (Dark Sun, Mystara, Spelljammer, Planescape, and more); Core Coliseum; D&D Material including my Master/Expert DM Competition entries

I highly doubt this will somehow turn it into a "collectable card game". It'll still be an RPG. I do agree that it's a silly business model. Cards are a terrific idea, because it means that expansions can be made without requiring entire new books being made. It'll lower costs, which will be passed on to the consumer, and as well it'll take less effort and print time, so that the devs can continue working on other things. But making them random doesn't make sense. Yes, WotC likes radomized collectables games. I have at minimum 4 of the collectable games they have produced, more if you include both editions of DDM. But it would be best if they treated these cards as they would splat books, IE they tell you what you'll be getting, and you get it.
EVERY DAY IS HORRIBLE POST DAY ON THE D&D FORUMS. Everything makes me ANGRY (ESPECIALLY you, reader)

This... this is quite possibly the worst idea I have ever seen.  In fact, I consider it such a bad idea, I am worried that it would begin to affect normal D&D.  What if they started putting out booster packs of cleric powers and the only way to get the new Consecrated Ground was to hope that you pulled it as your ultra-rare?

Oh God, how I hate you, Magic: the Gathering.  "From hell's heart I stab at thee...."