Non Forgotten Realm races in LFR

36 posts / 0 new
Last post
In LFR, players can use races from outside of the Forgotten Realms (i.e. warforge and changling). Has this ever been explained story wise? Do we use the spell plague to explain all the new races? Should NPC's act surprised when they see a warforge?
Explain it however you want.  There was an article in Dragon that gave several possible angles to explain how your warforged came to be.

As for Changelings, they're just dopplegangers now.  They aren't any special unique race anymore.
Sorry WOTC, you lost me with Essentials. So where I used to buy every book that came out, now I will be very choosy about what I buy. Can we just get back to real 4e? Check out the 4e Conversion Wiki. 1. Wizards fight dirty. They hit their enemies in the NADs. -- Dragon9 2. A barbarian hits people with his axe. A warlord hits people with his barbarian. 3. Boo-freakin'-hoo, ya light-slingin' finger-wigglers. -- MrCelcius in response to the Cleric's Healer's Lore nerf
In LFR, players can use races from outside of the Forgotten Realms (i.e. warforge and changling). Has this ever been explained story wise? Do we use the spell plague to explain all the new races? Should NPC's act surprised when they see a warforge?

I have always explained Warforged as creations of Gond. One of my main LFR characters is a Warforged Paladin of Gond.

I would think that NPCs would be suprised but it has not come up. Maybe they see the holy symbol of Gond around his neck and think "oh, that explains it". Laughing

Can't... seem... to resist...

Warforged are legal in LFR? Since when!?
Dave Kay LFR Writing Director Retiree dkay807 [at] yahoo [dot] com
Can't... seem... to resist...

You can play them with a Player Reward card, but word is that they will be open for play without a card in the next update of the CCG.
In the RPGA CHARACTER CREATION GUIDE (updated December, 2009) in the Player Resources section, the "Eberron Players Guide" is included (with the exception of dragonmarked rules and backgrounds).  I don't have the book in front of me but I believe warforge are in that book, check it out.
In the RPGA CHARACTER CREATION GUIDE (updated December, 2009)

Uh, you walked into an ongoing joke.  Best to just keep walking.

"Nice assumptions. Completely wrong assumptions, but by jove if being incorrect stopped people from making idiotic statements, we wouldn't have modern internet subculture." Kerrus
Practical gameplay runs by neither RAW or RAI, but rather "A Compromise Between The Gist Of The Rule As I Recall Getting The Impression Of It That One Time I Read It And What Jerry Says He Remembers, Whatever, We'll Look It Up Later If Any Of Us Still Give A Damn." Erachima

How dare you make an ongoing joke about the CCG ... or warforged!

And, hugozilla, I'm also fairly sure we don't have a version of the CCG that's newer than June 2009. There was one due in December but delays have forced that back some. Sorry.
The explaination I used for my warforged was that shortly after his creation on Eberron, as he was following his creator and passing though the door from his creation chamber he stepped in to a strange city (Sigil, though he doesn't know it) and his creator was not to be seen anywhere. Confused, he turned around an went back through the door only to end up in the wilds of Returned Abeir with no door in sight.

Changelings exist on Toril. No real explaination needed.

As for Kalashtar (sp?), I would either rehash the Sigil explaination in some way or use an explanation I read that someone posted elsewhere on the forum where the transposition of parts of Toril and Abeir in some cases caused a merging of two people, one from Toril and another from Abeir, into a singe entity. Use the mechanics of the Kalashtar, but dump the Eberron racial history.
-Sartredes

Well, at least revenant dhampyr warforged paladins of Kelemvor aren't legal, are they?

Gomez,
just adding fuel
All Warforged in LFR should be melted down into ingots and sent thru the nearest planar portal back to wherever they came from Tongue out

Well, at least revenant dhampyr warforged paladins of Kelemvor aren't legal, are they?

How could you go for zombie vampire robots without adding some ninja pirates?

That's revenant dhampyr warforged avengers of Kelemvor(Pursuit)/Sword Coast Corsair (windrise ports, to qualify for an arcane class and pick up a parrot familiar)

That can't possibly be legal, right?

"Nice assumptions. Completely wrong assumptions, but by jove if being incorrect stopped people from making idiotic statements, we wouldn't have modern internet subculture." Kerrus
Practical gameplay runs by neither RAW or RAI, but rather "A Compromise Between The Gist Of The Rule As I Recall Getting The Impression Of It That One Time I Read It And What Jerry Says He Remembers, Whatever, We'll Look It Up Later If Any Of Us Still Give A Damn." Erachima

All Warforged in LFR should be melted down into ingots and sent thru the nearest planar portal back to wherever they came from

Yeah!  Umm... how do you melt stone and wood into ingots?

How could you go for zombie vampire robots without adding some ninja pirates?

Ninja|pirate isn't a legal hybrid class combination, nor may you multiclass between the two.  Ninjas and pirates are mortal enemies and the two may never be combined into a single class without causing an extinction level disruption in the space-time continuum.  Besides, why have a pirate ninja when all you need is a ninja?  They're better than pirates, and cooler too.

@Hugozilla... look what you started!  ;)
Sorry WOTC, you lost me with Essentials. So where I used to buy every book that came out, now I will be very choosy about what I buy. Can we just get back to real 4e? Check out the 4e Conversion Wiki. 1. Wizards fight dirty. They hit their enemies in the NADs. -- Dragon9 2. A barbarian hits people with his axe. A warlord hits people with his barbarian. 3. Boo-freakin'-hoo, ya light-slingin' finger-wigglers. -- MrCelcius in response to the Cleric's Healer's Lore nerf
how do you melt stone and wood into ingots?

Well, Gondsmen are actually "made of metal and wood" (Per FR Faiths and Pantheons p.207).

Warforged typically have metal too (in addition to wood and stone).

Besides, why have a pirate ninja when all you need is a ninja?  They're better than pirates, and cooler too.

And now I have to prove you wrong by posting:

www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0121.html

Gomez
Besides, why have a pirate ninja when all you need is a ninja?  They're better than pirates, and cooler too.

And now I have to prove you wrong by posting:

www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0121.html

Gomez

Actually... Belkar in the last panel proves me right. 
As for Kalashtar (sp?), I would either rehash the Sigil explaination in some way or use an explanation I read that someone posted elsewhere on the forum where the transposition of parts of Toril and Abeir in some cases caused a merging of two people, one from Toril and another from Abeir, into a singe entity. Use the mechanics of the Kalashtar, but dump the Eberron racial history.

With the unique position of the kalashtar in the Eberron setting, it's not easy coming up with an explanation for the racial abilities and nature without stretching things to fit the FR setting.

For my kalashtar's backstory, I had him start off in Durpar, born as a human to a wealthy family in the Datharathi chaka.  From birth, he was weak and sickly (CON dump stat), with an assortment of ailments that would eventually lead to a near fatal illness which left one side of his body crippled.  As a last resort to save his life, he took the crystal and became a plangent.

Unfortunately, the plangent crystal used in the process contained an alien sentience of pure mental energy, which infused with its host.  This entity is usally the dominant personality, capable of wielding mental powers (psion class), but sometimes the host personality will emerge (bard multiclass).
Someone in the characters forum had a great idea for Kalashtar: it was a merging of souls from when parts of Abeir were fused to Toril.  It just caused a merging of some poeple.  I thought that was a clever and great setting specific way to explain them.
8 months ago, in a galaxy far far away... Yeah, I think that's the easiest route for FR. It's FR, though - there are a ton of possibilities and they all work.
Keith Richmond Living Forgotten Realms Epic Writing Director
8 months ago, in a galaxy far far away... Yeah, I think that's the easiest route for FR. It's FR, though - there are a ton of possibilities and they all work.

Hah! Great memory and good post. I think you deserve some kind of "called shot" award. I guess it needs to appear in an actual wotc product though for the full cs award.
My warforged fighter was not created by Lantanese gnomes, does not worship Gond, and did not come to Toril through some portal from Eberron. He was created in one of the bloodforges of the Five Kingdoms (see Grand History of the Realms, page 95, for the incredibly obscure history point).  He has only vague memories of this, however.  His recent memory consists of "waking up" underwater somewhere in the Golden Water SE of Durpar, covered in blue flame (yes, he has a spellscar, and the appropriate feat). Because of the situation where he was re-activated, he constantly has the odor of the ocean, there's an air of dampness about him, and no matter how much he cleans away the rust and barnacles, within the span of a few minutes to an hour, a little burst of blue flame will lick over the cleaned spots, and new rust or growth will appear.

My warlock is a half-elf from Aglarond who thinks his powers came from meeting an avatar of Amaunator, when in fact, it was from merging with a rathe deceptive Far Realms entity (hence his star pact).  Mechanically, however, he is a Kalashtar -- the merger with the avatar is the rationale for the changes in his being.  I took the Aglarond background (granting Elven as a language), and gave the Kalashtar's "floating" skill bonus to Dimplomacy -- both to retain some of the half-elf flavor.  I let the DM know he's a Kalashtar, but I intoduce him, and play him, as a half-elf -- who has no idea there's this other being inside him (and ocassionally, the entity talks to the other characters telepathically, mostly in an insulting manner).
You know, considering that I am sure we have Knights of the Rose, Gnome Tinkers, and 20+ level Kenders still running around in the realms SOMEWHERE (Don't believe me? Read all the way back at the end of the Dragonlance Campaign Guide, 1st Edition), I don't think we should have a hard time fitting in anything from Eberron. All sorts of weird unexplained things end up in the realms.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000)
Kenders?  We should hunt those little ****s down and kill them.  Slowly and painfully.
Kenders?  We should hunt those little ****s down and kill them.  Slowly and painfully.

We should form an Adventuring Company to do just that...
Would it be really bad if we named the AdCo the KKK (Kender Killers Klan)?
My warforged fighter was not created by Lantanese gnomes, does not worship Gond, and did not come to Toril through some portal from Eberron. He was created in one of the bloodforges of the Five Kingdoms (see Grand History of the Realms, page 95, for the incredibly obscure history point).  He has only vague memories of this, however.  His recent memory consists of "waking up" underwater somewhere in the Golden Water SE of Durpar, covered in blue flame (yes, he has a spellscar, and the appropriate feat). Because of the situation where he was re-activated, he constantly has the odor of the ocean, there's an air of dampness about him, and no matter how much he cleans away the rust and barnacles, within the span of a few minutes to an hour, a little burst of blue flame will lick over the cleaned spots, and new rust or growth will appear.

My warlock is a half-elf from Aglarond who thinks his powers came from meeting an avatar of Amaunator, when in fact, it was from merging with a rathe deceptive Far Realms entity (hence his star pact).  Mechanically, however, he is a Kalashtar -- the merger with the avatar is the rationale for the changes in his being.  I took the Aglarond background (granting Elven as a language), and gave the Kalashtar's "floating" skill bonus to Dimplomacy -- both to retain some of the half-elf flavor.  I let the DM know he's a Kalashtar, but I intoduce him, and play him, as a half-elf -- who has no idea there's this other being inside him (and ocassionally, the entity talks to the other characters telepathically, mostly in an insulting manner).

Wotc has turned LFR in to this all encompassing nebulus world I play a Warforged Cleric of Gond and a concrete orign for mechanoids would be great. I don't understand how can there can even be mechanoids without the advent of FiREARMS and or gunpowder I would have much prefered them to Crossbows or Hand Crossbows     
 Wotc has turned LFR in to this all encompassing nebulus world I play a Warforged Cleric of Gond and a concrete orign for mechanoids would be great. I don't understand how can there can even be mechanoids without the advent of FiREARMS and or gunpowder I would have much prefered them to Crossbows or Hand Crossbows     

Golems have existed in most magical universes without requiring gunpowder. And most stories involving Golems involve them being made of metal and/or wood, and having a semblance of life and intelligence:
Aka
Golem
Frankenstein's Monster
Pinocchio

If I'm not mistaken, gunpowder does (or at least, *did*) exist in the Realms in the form of "smokepowder" which was, in and of itself, magical, i.e., items relying on smokepowder to function wouldn't work in an anti-magic field.  Guns (pistols, muskets) existed at least into 3.x, since there is even a Dispel Confusion article for the Legacy of the Green Regent campaign dealing with the issue.
My understanding was that smokepowder is rare and mostly showed up in the form of cannons on ships.  It popped up in one of the Drizzt books when he and Cattibrie were pirate hunting out of Waterdeep and they were surprised and alarmed at the presence of smokepowder cannons.

Indeed. In my imagination, dwarves have guns.
I recall back in the days of Living City, one particular player character obtained a firearm, I think the only one in the campaign.

That character was the high priest of Tymora in the city, and had a special daily power to cause all the damage from one attack to be treated as if all the die had rolled their maximum value.

Of course, in the rules set of the time, firearms had "exploding" damage dice. That is, if any damage die rolled it's maximum value, you rolled another die of the same type and added the result to the total. If any additional dice also rolled their max value, you'd keep rolling addtional dice and adding them, and so on and so on...

As far as I remember, I never actually saw him use the infinite damage combo. I think he drew enough amusement from the idea that he COULD do it.

LFR Characters: Lady Tiana Elinden Kobori Silverwane - Drow Control Wizard | Kro'tak Warscream - Orc Bard | Fulcrum of Gond - Warforged Laser Cleric

AL Character: Talia Ko'bori Silverwane - Tiefling Tome Fiend Warlock

I distinctly remember reading somewhere the gunpowder became inert since the Spellplague.
I distinctly remember reading somewhere the gunpowder became inert since the Spellplague.

Interestingly, the only reference to either gunpowder or smokepowder I can find in the 4e sourcebooks is in the Campaign Guide, on page 12, in the flavor text describing the Loudwater Apothecary:

A sign displaying several oddly shaped bottles hangs over
the door of this shop. A dozen different scents waft through
the doorway, including tangy musk, cinnamon spice,
orange peel, baking bread, and gunpowder.

I can't imagine an apothecary continuing to manufacture gunpowder if it no longer worked (unless he's trying to find a way to get it to work again).  Nonetheless, that seems to be the only reference otherwise, so there don't appear to be any game mechanics related to it in 4e (so far!)

You know, when you say that I feel like I heard that somewhere too. Couldn't tell you where though.
I wouldn't use something like a boxed text in a minor adventure as a conclusive text for things like this. It is easy to miss such a sentence when things change later, and considering the many things that changed between various versions during development of 4E FR that might be very well be one thing. Not to mention that it was never called gunpowder in the FR in the first place. Of course, it might be very well that I read about it in one of the earlier versions and that they removed it (although there is a suprising lack of references to the large siegemachines that used smokepowder in 3E).
That's revenant dhampyr warforged avengers of Kelemvor(Pursuit)/Sword Coast Corsair (windrise ports, to qualify for an arcane class and pick up a parrot familiar)

That can't possibly be legal, right?

I don't see why it wouldn't be.

I have a warforged dhampyr revenant dragon sorcerer in LFR. He's AWESOME 
Sign In to post comments