using published adventures

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi all,

I hope this is in the right spot for this post. I still don't feel like I know my way around the forums properly after the revamp. 

I have a couple of practical questions regarding using published adventures for LFR sessions.

I am considering running the Keep on the Shadowfell as a private event with my kids and a group of their friends. It will take multiple sessions to finish the adventure. Do I need to sanction and report each one? If not, do I sanction a session for what I anticipate will be the last session, so that I can report its completion in good time?

I've run LFR modules before. Any practical advice on how running the published adventures will be different? What do I need to anticipate with this that isn't an issue with the single-session modules?

Thanks in advance,

Matt 
The published adventures are not related to LFR or RPGA at all.  Only the Sceptre Tower of Spellguard has been adapted for LFR, so it can be run for LFR, but need not be.  Keep on the Shadowfell, Tunderspire Labyrinth, etc, are not sanctioned or reported through the RPGA, and characters that play those adventures cannot be played in LFR.
The published adventures are not related to LFR or RPGA at all.  Only the Sceptre Tower of Spellguard has been adapted for LFR, so it can be run for LFR, but need not be.  Keep on the Shadowfell, Tunderspire Labyrinth, etc, are not sanctioned or reported through the RPGA, and characters that play those adventures cannot be played in LFR.

To be completely clear ... LFR characters could play those mods, they just will not receive any XP or GP or items from them, at least not legally. So your friends and kids can play it, with the same characters, they just can't benefit from them in the Living environment.

Of course you could always run and record them as MYRE adventures, as long as you follow the standard rules.

Allen.
Of course you could always run and record them as MYRE adventures, as long as you follow the standard rules.

Allen.

From www.loremaster.org/campaign-settings/641... - Please note the re-skin paragraph.

Here's WotC's statements about what can't be done with MYRE adventures from the 1-4 module :
"What Can’t I Do With A My
Realms Adventure?
My Realms adventure packets allow you to run your
own adventure for a group of 4 to 6 players in a normal
Living Forgotten Realms campaign event. It does not
give you license to produce and distribute (for sale or
for free) your own Living Forgotten Realms adventures.
That said, the intent of the My Realms adventures
is for you to create and present exciting Forgotten
Realms adventures for a small group of players;
anything more than that is beyond the scope and intent
of the My Realms adventure program.
To be clear, you cannot do the following with a My
Realms adventure:
• You cannot distribute your adventure to another
DM, player, or organizer. The maximum number
of DMs that can run any unique My Realms
adventure is 2, if the adventure had co-creators.
My Realms adventures are not intended to be
interactives or completely replace standard Living
Forgotten Realms adventures officially produced
through Wizards of the Coast. However, the
adventure creator can DM the adventure
personally as much or as little as they would like.
• You cannot “re-skin” an existing adventure with a
My Realms adventure. Your adventure should be a
unique experience that might have a location,
event, or minor NPC from another adventure to
link it back to the campaign, but shouldn’t take
story or plot elements whole-cloth from another
official adventure.
• You cannot create a multi-table experience with a
My Realms adventure. My Realms adventures are
designed for a single table’s worth of players (4-6
participants).
• You cannot alter the play format of the game
through a My Realms adventure. Essentially, you’re
playing a standard game of D&D that you created.
You cannot create special rules that modify the
way a player or character interacts with the Living
Forgotten Realms campaign. For example, you
couldn’t create a “battle royale” player-versusplayer
gladiatorial arena (although you could have
the PCs fight NPCs in such an arena)."

Keep on the Shadowfell, Tunderspire Labyrinth, etc, are not sanctioned or reported through the RPGA

Not entirely true.  You can run them and report the sessions as home games in the RPGA system.

Sorry WOTC, you lost me with Essentials. So where I used to buy every book that came out, now I will be very choosy about what I buy. Can we just get back to real 4e? Check out the 4e Conversion Wiki. 1. Wizards fight dirty. They hit their enemies in the NADs. -- Dragon9 2. A barbarian hits people with his axe. A warlord hits people with his barbarian. 3. Boo-freakin'-hoo, ya light-slingin' finger-wigglers. -- MrCelcius in response to the Cleric's Healer's Lore nerf
Not entirely true.  You can run them and report the sessions as home games in the RPGA system.

Right. I saw them as sanctionable adventures in the list when I was sanctioning another event.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Matt

Correct, but confusing to someone who equates RPGA with LFR.

To clarify: You can run KotS or a Star Wars adventure, and sanction it for RPGA points.  This just means that it helps WOTC know how often these adventures are played and gives you RPGA points (which are not used for anything right now).

This has nothing whatsoever to do with LFR.  You can't play those adventures and gain XP or other rewards for your LFR character.

Allen.

From www.loremaster.org/campaign-settings/641... - Please note the re-skin paragraph.

• You cannot “re-skin” an existing adventure with a
My Realms adventure. Your adventure should be a
unique experience that might have a location,
event, or minor NPC from another adventure to
link it back to the campaign, but shouldn’t take
story or plot elements whole-cloth from another
official adventure.

I always assumed that meant I couldn't reskin a standard published published module.  I couldn't "re-skin" CORM1-1 for example.  Personally I wouldn't have a problem with someone running a published mod pretty much as written.  They aren't "re-skinning" anything.

In any case the RPGA police aren't likely to bust down your door if you do and by following MYRE guidelines for xp and rewards the characters would be legal for LFR play.

Allen.
I always assumed that meant I couldn't reskin a standard published published module.  I couldn't "re-skin" CORM1-1 for example.  Personally I wouldn't have a problem with someone running a published mod pretty much as written.  They aren't "re-skinning" anything.

In any case the RPGA police aren't likely to bust down your door if you do and by following MYRE guidelines for xp and rewards the characters would be legal for LFR play.

I'm fairly sure that the admins have said that this included other published adventures such as the various WotC printed mods. At the very least, you're right, no one is going to come to your house and take away your dice if you do, but if LFR did ever make their own adaptables of these mods (again, also unlikely) then at the very least, your players would be confused (or other players might be).

I'm fairly sure that the admins have said that this included other published adventures such as the various WotC printed mods.

That's how I read it. However, why would WotC wish to discourage use of their other printed products?

Would this also make the lairs provided in Draconomicon and Open Grave useless for LFR?

I'm fairly sure that the admins have said that this included other published adventures such as the various WotC printed mods. At the very least, you're right, no one is going to come to your house and take away your dice if you do, but if LFR did ever make their own adaptables of these mods (again, also unlikely) then at the very least, your players would be confused (or other players might be).

Maybe. This thread seems to indicate that using Dungeon mods as the basis for MYRE adventures is OK. Whether the same holds for other types of published adventures isn't answered, but I don't see why the same rule wouldn't apply.

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Sean Molley: I think the Chaos Scar adventures are an excellent length for adapting to LFR using the My Realms packet.  They are long enough to be satisfying and short enough to finish in 4-5 hours.  And so far, they have all been really interesting.  Just remember that My Realms adventures cannot be distributed, so only you (and potentially one co-author) can run your adaptation, even if it is an adaptation of a Dungeon adventure.
Maybe. This thread seems to indicate that using Dungeon mods as the basis for MYRE adventures is OK. Whether the same holds for other types of published adventures isn't answered, but I don't see why the same rule wouldn't apply.

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Sean Molley: I think the Chaos Scar adventures are an excellent length for adapting to LFR using the My Realms packet.  They are long enough to be satisfying and short enough to finish in 4-5 hours.  And so far, they have all been really interesting.  Just remember that My Realms adventures cannot be distributed, so only you (and potentially one co-author) can run your adaptation, even if it is an adaptation of a Dungeon adventure.

Thanks, rczarnec, that would suggest it is ok to take non-LFR published mods and reskin them. Very interesting.

Of course, we've never gotten conflicting info from the PTB before, have we.

It takes a bit more work then reskinning since you need to make sure xp, gp and treasure bundles are correct. Otherwise though Sean's opinion is the same as that of the other globals. You can use MYREs to run official WotC adventures as long as you reskinned them. You CANNOT use them to reskin LFR adventures though. You should also realize that we might use official published adventures (especially FR ones) and hence official events might differ from your MYRE version. The promise to leave the rumors/plot ideas alone only goes for those offered in the MYRE document.

Sign In to post comments