The Fool's Gold ritual

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Let's say I have a level 8 wizard with 15 Arcana and the ritual Fool's Gold.
Is it legal for a player to use the fool's gold ritual to make more gold and then use it to buy items from a shop in a LFR adventure? I mean, with the stats above the average check for the ritual would be 25. If you used 500 gold it turns into 5000 illusionary gp and it'll last for 4 hours and needs a perception/arcana check of 25 that is a moderate DC for level 25-27 most characters shouldn't be able to notice it.  It's illusionary, so it's wouldn't be affected by the set gold limit that adventures have.

Is there a rule about this?  What are people's thoughts?
If you are really going to do this, just decide how much gold you want your character to have and scribble it on your character sheet then stock up on any magic items you want that are at your level or lower. Don't even bother playing it because no one is ever going to believe that it was a challenge where the risk and the rewards were balanced.

Seriously, you're only going to get two reactions from people you meet afterwards, disgust or apathy. Either they won't care or they won't sit at the same table as you (or let you sit at their table).

When you go through an adventure, you earn a certain amount of XP and a certain amount of gold. That gold:xp ratio is there to provide some amount of game balance. Get a bunch of 8th level characters from across the nation and they'll all have roughly the same volume of gold, the same number of magic items, etc. They'll look at your character with an extra 4500 gold worth of stuff and the imbalance will be obvious to everyone.
Using Fools Gold cannot give you more treasure at the end of the adventure than is in the adventure.
It is useful to spend ons tuff that does not survuive the adventure, like luxury food, festhalls, and 'free'healing at the local temple (if you don't get caught, and you likely will eventually). You can't use it to buy magic items (or you can, but the item is lost at the end of the adventure, since you didn't buy it with your own gold).

Gomez
In a home campaign, the DM could easily deal with townspeople becoming wise to a counterfeiter being around and track them down, assuming they had not skipped town.  Since a campaign like LFR does not focus on downtime between adventures, that is more awkward to deal with. 

Keith
Keith Hoffman LFR Writing Director for Waterdeep
Seems like it's a good way to pick up free consumables every adventure, be it potions, reagents, whetstones, magical ammunition...Even better if you have the Vistani feat that lets you cast the Fool's Gold ritual for free 1/day. Since with the feat you no longer have to actually spend gold, you can create an arbitrarily high ammount of fake gold. A Vistani Changeling cunning bard could actually reasonably pull this scam off, taking feats and powers that give bonuses/re-rolls to arcana/ritual checks. Start an adventure, load up on all the consumables you want, share them with the party, then make sure you don't go back to that particular shop after. And change identity with your changeling racial power of course. Rather amusing, if completely broken, lol.

Seems like it's a good way to pick up free consumables every adventure, be it potions, reagents, whetstones, magical ammunition...Even better if you have the Vistani feat that lets you cast the Fool's Gold ritual for free 1/day. Since with the feat you no longer have to actually spend gold, you can create an arbitrarily high ammount of fake gold. A Vistani Changeling cunning bard could actually reasonably pull this scam off, taking feats and powers that give bonuses/re-rolls to arcana/ritual checks. Start an adventure, load up on all the consumables you want, share them with the party, then make sure you don't go back to that particular shop after. And change identity with your changeling racial power of course. Rather amusing, if completely broken, lol.

I was reading old LG metaorg material yesterday, and I suddenly find myself nostalgic for a criminal justice system I never knew. "If you are forced to rule that a PC is executed for a crime, make sure you report it to the Triad!"

Ah well.

Is there a rule about this?  What are people's thoughts?

I would suggest only using this on extravagant clothing, exotic foods, ubiquitous quantities of alcohol, and the like. Live in opulent style, not for Yet Another Plus on your combat rolls.

(in other words, I don't see spending it all on fluff to be at all problematic; spending it on magical items is a different matter)
Start an adventure, load up on all the consumables you want, share them with the party, then make sure you don't go back to that particular shop after.

Yes, because shop owners never talk to each other, anyone else in the town, or the next group of mercenaries who come in for their supplies.

The shop owner somehow stocks everything the players could want with one stop shopping, takes the loss without talking to any of the local officals or guards (who might have known about adventuring strangers in the city), and never gets so mad that they hire the next crew of even higher level adventurers that come in the shop to bring back a few heads.

Anyone who can stock that kind of inventory has enough money to pay for heads and a solid buisness case for wanting to discourage that sort of behavior.

Personally, I'd be informing people to expect a TPK in the next couple hours because their method of increasing their resources for this module has resulted in a need and justification to add to the hazards of this module and the resources and hazards added are not likely to be balanced, since the intent of the players was to run an unbalanced event at my table.

Using Fools Gold cannot give you more treasure at the end of the adventure than is in the adventure.Gomez

Where is this stated in the rules?  All I could find was Page 11 of the CCG that says that the DM cannot give out extra treasure.  I do not think something created by a ritual, or a purchased magic item is considered to be treasure that is given out by the DM.

I don't think that would work.  Fool's Gold says that "You create an amount of false gold equal to the amount you spend as the ritual’s component cost times a multiplier based on your Arcana check result".  If you spent nothing for the component cost, you would get nothing in return.

You choose an arbitrary ammount to spend, which then becomes the component cost, which then does not actually have to be spent because of the feat, but the ritual functions based on that cost value. Just like any other variable component cost ritual, like make whole. The ammount of components needed is determined at the start of a ritual, but they aren't actually spent until the end. So in the case of fool's gold, you start the ritual deciding choosing to spend X gold, then that gold is not actually spent thanks to the feat.
"I'm going to Make Whole the universe, so the ritual would cost infinity gold, but I ignore that cost because of my Vistani Bloodline. Goodbye, spellplague!"

It's obviously a violation of RAI for any ritual with a variable component cost to have infinitely scalable returns just because you have some sort of feature that lets you perform a ritual for free.

Also, if you're ignoring the component cost you can't very well expect the component cost to act as a multiplier. You're ignoring it.
Aside from the issue of is this legal in LFR, you cannot skip paying the component cost for a ritual.  The real gold is replaced by x times fake gold. 

Keith
Keith Hoffman LFR Writing Director for Waterdeep
Thankfully, there exists deus ex machina.  It is amazingly inconvenient how after the cunning and heartless character robbed the town blind, a cunning and heartless thief came and stole all the misbegotten loot.

Also, I would like to point out that evil characters are not permitted in LFR.  A character that steals inordinate amounts of money is not unaligned.  That character is evil.  Blam!  Please watch closely as the DM removes said character from the game and tears up the offending character sheet (I can dream, right?).

-SYB
You choose an arbitrary ammount to spend, which then becomes the component cost, which then does not actually have to be spent because of the feat, but the ritual functions based on that cost value. Just like any other variable component cost ritual, like make whole. The ammount of components needed is determined at the start of a ritual, but they aren't actually spent until the end. So in the case of fool's gold, you start the ritual deciding choosing to spend X gold, then that gold is not actually spent thanks to the feat.

That's debatable. The result of the ritual is dependent on how much you spent. I'd feel very comfortable letting a Vistani spend 0 component cost and getting 0 gold back.

Also, this is not taking into account that merchants of extremely valuable items are almost certainly familiar with such tricks and that simply waiting will make them go away. Presumably, on large transactions, they hire the local high level wizard to do an arcana check or simply use some sort of bonded person to do the transaction.

After all, they're buying these items from adventurers for 20% - making 400% profit gives a lot of money for hiring wizards to make an arcana check...