Obscure rumors

Ok I had a friend and fellow player of SWM mention to me two strange rumors he was told from the owner of his LGS and I wanted to throw then out here to see if there was any truth to them. I doubt there is though.  

The first was that Wizards is no longer going to allow local game stores to run DCI sanctioned events.

The second was something about Dark Times being released in blister packs. Both of these seemed so obscure I didn'tknow what to think of them. Any thoughts?
Since we have seen e-bay auctions and other pics of the DT boosters I can't see how this rumor could in any way be true.

Since there was just a DCI floor rules update for SWM I am not sure how the other rumopr could be true either unless WOTC was stopping that particular venue from running ANY DCI events due to some sort of infraction.  I know that shops have been banned from running events in the past because of abuse of the DCI rating system to artificailly inflate some MTG players ratings in order to qualify for certain benefits.
Wizards wouldn't just pull DCI events out of LGSs. Friday Night Magic is working too well for them. It's more likely that your LGS did something that violated their DCI agreement. It happened here in my town too. A store owner (who I shall not name) got his/her license yanked. The rumors vary, but one story put him/her selling the promo materials he/she was supposed to be distributing to participants. It seems more likely your LGS owner just doesn't want to own up to their mistakes.
Need a custom mini for your Roleplying Game, or just because? PM me with the details or check out my Custom Thread. ARCTrooper-A79s Custom Thread The Reverend Strone Project (Custom Set) We make the minis now.
Any thoughts?

Thoughts:

1) Thanks for asking/checking instead of coming on and repeating them as fact.

2) Sounds like total bunk to me.  The above answer about the LGS might be accurate, or your LGS just doesn't want to run DCI anymore - it's impossible for me to say. 
I suspect the explaination that they don't want to run DCI SWM events is probably the most accurate.  Unfortunately I've never frequented the particular LGS that was named as the source so I can't speak for any infractions or anything of that nature.  I do know they haven't run SWM DCI events in the past and have resisted multiple requests to do so.  So I suspect it's just someone trying to avoid cluttering up his game schedule when he's doing too well with MTG.

As far as the blister packs rumor, I agree that it doesn't make sense given the fact that we've seen images of the boosters and we know they're being sold by the case as boosters.  I didn't know if there was possibly some retail packaging scheme that might be hitting places like Target or something around the same time like Rebels vs. Imperials as a way to boost sales, but I doubt it.

Thanks for taking the time to address (and dispell these rumors).  Everyones thoughts here were pretty much in line with my intial thoughts when the rumors were conveyed to me as well.

Any thoughts?

Thoughts:

1) Thanks for asking/checking instead of coming on and repeating them as fact.

2) Sounds like total bunk to me.  The above answer about the LGS might be accurate, or your LGS just doesn't want to run DCI anymore - it's impossible for me to say. 

I'm surprised George Lucas doesn't tell Wizards to make DCI officially Saturday, he loses a large chunk of his Clone Wars audience on Friday nights
Quotes: "A Commander who would send untested troops against a man such as Kano is indeed foolish--But to also defy me, he'd have to have a Death Wish!" -Carnor Jax to General Wessel "Yub,yub Commander" -Wes Janson after pulling yet another ridiculous Ewok prank on Wedge Antilles "Your taste buds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!", -Admiral Ackbar, CEO of Admiral Ackbar's cereal and fishsticks And some movie quotes! "Half of everything is luck James." "And the other half?" "Fate" -Sean Bean to Pierce Brosnan in Goldeneye "Did you bring a horse for me?" (three gunslingers laugh) "Well it seems we're one horse short." "No. you brought two horses too many." -Charles Bronson in Once Upon A Time in The West
true, it would make alot of sense for them to switch it to saturday. thats they time my league can play. ALso i think they have it on friday because of friday night magic.
you can have a DCI event any day of the week...but friday night magic is supposed to be played on friday nights,thats why its called that....

ThorvaldHafgrimsson wrote:
Life is full of choices. Sometimes you make the good ones, and sometimes you have to kill all the witnesses.
NastasiaLorn; wrote:
But then you have to pay the liability insurance.
A note about character and world creation
Show
Character and world creation are a form of expression. The point is that some people don't have much to say...
57949688 wrote:
Why doesnt anyone ever sig my qoutes!?
On the subject of who post in the Off-Topic Tavern:
57131438 wrote:
most of them are bored, immature adults.
Offical troller of the House of Trolls
Sooo......has anyone found the Dark Times blister packs yet?  I'd really like to know....
Well i got a blister from opening mine...
Every move in this game is a mistake, the hope is that your opponent makes a bigger mistake when he makes his move.
What's a blister pack?
AMS-51 "Dendrite" Connection lost...searching...
A blister pack is

where one character is shown in a plastic blister on top of the booster while the rest are unknown in the booster. 
Every move in this game is a mistake, the hope is that your opponent makes a bigger mistake when he makes his move.
Sign In to post comments