Mythic Rare Question

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey everyone! I'm about to pick up a box of 2010 and was wondering how many Mythic Rares are usually in a box? I know that there is no guarantee of how many you will pull, but is there a usual number of them in a booster box? Thanks!
Good M:TG trades with m00se, jakeh
The average rate of a Mythic Rare when buying a booster is 1/8. Means 1 one mythic in 8 boosters.

So a box has 36 boosters, make the average number of mythic rares you'll be getting 4.5. Which means on the average, you'll be getting 4 to 5 mythic rares.

But since its an average, it can range from anywhere from 0 to 10. But I've never seen these extreme cases.

Really bad mythic boxes might only have 2, and the good ones may have 7 (I've gotten a 7 Mythics in a box before).
The average rate of a Mythic Rare when buying a booster is 1/8. Means 1 one mythic in 8 boosters.

So a box has 36 boosters, make the average number of mythic rares you'll be getting 4.5. Which means on the average, you'll be getting 4 to 5 mythic rares.

But since its an average, it can range from anywhere from 0 to 10. But I've never seen these extreme cases.

Really bad mythic boxes might only have 2, and the good ones may have 7 (I've gotten a 7 Mythics in a box before).




Thank you for the information! I'll see how I do when I pick up the box tomorrow...
Good M:TG trades with m00se, jakeh

So a box has 36 boosters, make the average number of mythic rares you'll be getting 4.5. Which means on the average, you'll be getting 4 to 5 mythic rares


Note, though, that of the 4 to 5 mythics that you get, 3 to 4 of them will really be horrible.
See: Sphinx Ambassador and Lotus Cobra

Orzhova Witness

Restarting Quotes Block
58086748 wrote:
58335208 wrote:
Disregard women acquire chase rares.
There are a lot of dudes for whom this is not optional.
97820278 wrote:
144532521 wrote:
How;s a 2 drop 1/2, Flying broken? What am I missing?
You're missing it because *turns Storm Crows sideways* all your base are belong to Chuck Norris and every other overused meme ever.
Note, though, that of the 4 to 5 mythics that you get, 3 to 4 of them will really be horrible.
See: Sphinx Ambassador and Lotus Cobra.

Uh, I'm pretty sure Lotus Cobra is still worth more than a fetchland... not that he's like to pull either of those in an M10 booster box.
DCI Level 2 Judge WPN Advanced TO RPGA Herald-Level GM
I pulled 6 Mythic Rares from the booster box:

Ajani Goldmane
Sphinx Ambassador
Lilana Vess
Xathrid Demon
Garruk Windspeaker
Protean Hydra

Time to organize and try out some decks...
Good M:TG trades with m00se, jakeh

So a box has 36 boosters, make the average number of mythic rares you'll be getting 4.5. Which means on the average, you'll be getting 4 to 5 mythic rares


Note, though, that of the 4 to 5 mythics that you get, 3 to 4 of them will really be horrible.
See: Sphinx Ambassador and Lotus Cobra



Must you be negative everywhere you go?
Note, though, that of the 4 to 5 mythics that you get, 3 to 4 of them will really be horrible.
See: Sphinx Ambassador and Lotus Cobra.

Yeah... Lotus Cobra is only the most valuable mythic in Zendikar. How horrible to pull one *rollseyes*

You are Red/Blue!
My first booster box actually had 8 mythics in it, but three were doubles; 2x Baneslayer, 2x Protean and 2x Bogardian. I also pulled a foil mythic, but it was the sphynx The other two were Nalaar and Darksteel. What are the chances of all these doubles? I was really surprised/a little suspicious.
sig
My Trade Thread [c]Black Lotus[/c] = Black Lotus IMAGE(http://i43.tinypic.com/2nl7r48.gif)
My first booster box actually had 8 mythics in it, but three were doubles; 2x Baneslayer, 2x Protean and 2x Bogardian. I also pulled a foil mythic, but it was the sphynx The other two were Nalaar and Darksteel. What are the chances of all these doubles? I was really surprised/a little suspicious.


you act like double BSA is bad...
firebreathingturtles.png
you act like double BSA is bad...




No, certainly not. But the devil is in the details... because I only play casual, I debated selling both for the price of the box or just wrecking every deck my angel deck plays against. I chose the latter because I realized I was in it for the game and not the investment. But seriously, how many others have received doubles like this?

sig
My Trade Thread [c]Black Lotus[/c] = Black Lotus IMAGE(http://i43.tinypic.com/2nl7r48.gif)
But seriously, how many others have received doubles like this?


Well, in a similar vein I've had uncanny luck with mah boosters. I think my last X packs of Zendikar got me the following;
3 Rite of Replication
3 Luminarch Ascension
1 Bloodchief Ascension
1 Day of Judgement
2 Verdant Catacombs
2 Marsh Flats
1 foil Eldrazi Monument (In the same pack as one of the Marsh Flats no less).

Also went to get 23 sexy zendikar lands for mah bear deck, and the shop had exactly 23 of the one I wanted in stock (not to mention them just getting twincasts in stock when I picked up the fourth one for mah mill deck) .

Zammm = Batman.

It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.

The Pony Co. 

Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.

Note, though, that of the 4 to 5 mythics that you get, 3 to 4 of them will really be horrible.
See: Sphinx Ambassador and Lotus Cobra.

Uh, I'm pretty sure Lotus Cobra is still worth more than a fetchland... not that he's like to pull either of those in an M10 booster box.


A card's "worth" really can't be used to dictate how good it is. Godsire is "worth" more than Blightning, for example.

[..] 3 to 4 of them will really be horrible.

Must you be negative everywhere you go?


No. I won't be anymore. Jump is an excellent card for all contructed formats. Something like a monoblue Sphinx Ambassador aggro-burn build is two seconds away from coming together.

Jokes aside, though, I am pretty excited about the new elf lord coming soon. I guess it's more likely that folks will express dislike for something more than what's satisfying.

Yeah... Lotus Cobra is only the most valuable mythic in Zendikar. How horrible to pull one *rollseyes*


I can't tell if you're for real or not. Baneslayer is more, as far as mythics go. Lotus Cobra's price is floating right around Cryptic Command, Bitterblossom, and Thoughtseize. I gave mine away as a prize for a deck building contest that required the use of Celestial Mantle and Aurification over in the Casual forums.

Orzhova Witness

Restarting Quotes Block
58086748 wrote:
58335208 wrote:
Disregard women acquire chase rares.
There are a lot of dudes for whom this is not optional.
97820278 wrote:
144532521 wrote:
How;s a 2 drop 1/2, Flying broken? What am I missing?
You're missing it because *turns Storm Crows sideways* all your base are belong to Chuck Norris and every other overused meme ever.
...Are you implying that Baneslayer is in Zendikar?
...Are you implying that Baneslayer is in Zendikar?

....you're right. It came out of M10. 

Orzhova Witness

Restarting Quotes Block
58086748 wrote:
58335208 wrote:
Disregard women acquire chase rares.
There are a lot of dudes for whom this is not optional.
97820278 wrote:
144532521 wrote:
How;s a 2 drop 1/2, Flying broken? What am I missing?
You're missing it because *turns Storm Crows sideways* all your base are belong to Chuck Norris and every other overused meme ever.
OH SNAP.
OH SNAP.


Ok. I deserved that one.

The fact remains, though, that Lotus Cobra's price are just after-effects of it being entirely overhyped.
The card is actually terrible, and in practice, Plated Geopede and Steppe Lynx tend to be more useful, they're  at common, and each of which you could get 100 - 200 copies of for the price of 1 Lotus Cobra.

Orzhova Witness

Restarting Quotes Block
58086748 wrote:
58335208 wrote:
Disregard women acquire chase rares.
There are a lot of dudes for whom this is not optional.
97820278 wrote:
144532521 wrote:
How;s a 2 drop 1/2, Flying broken? What am I missing?
You're missing it because *turns Storm Crows sideways* all your base are belong to Chuck Norris and every other overused meme ever.
Glad I traded my cobra for 25 while I still could.  Sad I traded my bullshit angel for 20 a week after the release.  Cry  Let this be a lesson: whenever there's global interest in a card, store it in a sleeve in a toploader in a secret compartment in your underpants for at least two months after the release.
Sign In to post comments