Official word on D&D Minis and the PH Miniatures Line

Hey all. As the subject implies, I’m here to clear up any confusion about the PH3 Miniatures set and the future of D&D minis. First off, D&D Minis are not going away. We have a lot of great releases this year, including Orcus, and we’ll have more information on those releases as the year moves on.

Now as to the PH3 minis set specifically, it has indeed been canceled. We’re making some exciting changes to minis this year, and while I can’t tell you exactly what those changes are yet, the PH minis series didn’t support the new vision.  As always, I’ll come back as soon as I have any new info, and if you have any questions, send them my way and I’ll answer whatever I’m able.

Trevor Kidd
D&D Community Manager

Trevor Kidd Community Manager

Thanks for the clarification/news, Trevor. Can you tell us anything about the implications for the whole Player's Handbook Heroes line? Is the whole line being cancelled, as speculation has it? Is the whole distinction between "player" minis and "DM" minis on the chopping block?
Thanks!
Without being too specific as to what the strategy for the future lines may be, can you at least confirm that the 3 visible minis for players are done?
So the PHH Series is done. As to the rest of the details on the Player/DM side of things - I don't have any news I can share at this point. Keep your eyes peeled over the next couple weeks though - we do have more information coming.

can we pin this thread for easy finding for the news?
Done and done Mager. Thanks for suggeseting the sticky!

Thanks for the info Trevor, and looking forward to future news!

Dang.  I'm really sorry to hear that DDM has been cancelled.

Arrrghhhh Yell

Read the first post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only the PH line has been cancelled!!!!!!!!
I did.  It said that everything has been cancelled, and they're also pulling out a recall. You have to send all your old minis back, now.
Sorry for the sarcasm, but

THIS IS WOTC WAY OF TELLING THAT DDM IS BEING CANCELLED. Tongue out

Seriously, at this point everyone knew about the PHH cancellation. And at this point, there are rumors from european wotc distributor that miniatures are going to be release only in 4th-related games (As Ravenloft Boardgame and Heroscape).

Probably the "exciting changes" will be this.

I really want to be wrong on this, I really want to buy Streets of Shadows minis and Lords of Madness, but I'm really in doubt that this will occur.

Again, sorry, but after the "exciting news" of skirmish being cutt-off from boosters last year (and all with the same "exciting" way of wotc), I'm almost shure wotc will not say the things I want to hear (or read). And don't fool yourselfs, if they cancel boosters, they are cancelling ddm.

Waiting for the worse, but always with hopes for the better!
Bummer, the PHH was the product in the minis line that I liked and bought a bunch of.  I guess I was the exception!

Dude, you really need to go away and stop with the negativity. 

Tongue out

Back when I was positive, I was told to "stop drinking the kool-aid," and "stop ruining the hobby."  Now I'm finally joining the majority... and the majority has changed!  I feel like a 1968 Democrat.
Bummer, the PHH was the product in the minis line that I liked and bought a bunch of.  I guess I was the exception!

I bought a package of each for my group, via a case buy. The group didn't have any reason to buy multiple of any figure.

I have to imagine that was the case with a lot of groups - no duplicates, ever. And in some groups, they only pick up a couple specific PHH packs. Or just get metal figures for PCs.

I can see where it might not be a recipe for good sales.
Keith Richmond Living Forgotten Realms Epic Writing Director
Whats funny is that every time they made an 'exciting change!', they lost customers.  The only 'exciting change!' that I want to see is a change back to design/format/art of the minis prior to 2.0.
*Shrug* I was really happy with DDM 2.0, I thought it improved the skirmish game both crunchwise and fluffwise. I've really been enjoying the visible miniatures format of '09 as well.

However, I'm sure that the FLGSs have been really unhappy with the visible minatures. Customers can cherrypick their favourites and leave the dreck behind (We're looking at you, Unicorn!). Kind of like the "Tonight Show" fiasco: Conan is much funnier, but the affiliates want Jay back.

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

*Kind of like the "Tonight Show" fiasco: Conan is much funnier, but the affiliates want Jay back.

Well said.  I was sick of Leno when he left and Conan was a breath of freash air in late night comedy (and much funnier). 

Very sad to se it going back to the way it was and now no Conan for at least 8 months (if another network picks him up). 

Cool

Whats funny is that every time they made an 'exciting change!', they lost customers.  The only 'exciting change!' that I want to see is a change back to design/format/art of the minis prior to 2.0.

All change is exciting. Good changes, bad changes; either way, it gets your blood pumping, doesn't it? Wink

For some reason, WotC has not been able to make their minis line work at a level with which they're comfortable. 

I look back at 2004, a price of $10 and 8 miniatures in a pack.  Then I compare it to 6 years later and an MSRP of $15 for 5 figures. 

From $1.25 a figure (at MSRP) to $3 per figure.  Thge figures have more than DOUBLED in price.

Inflaction accounts for a ~17% increase in prices.    That would bring the price per figure up to $1.50 per figure.  The other $1.50 per figure? We'll never know for sure where that is going.  Fuel costs impacted costs to be sure, but improvements in technology should have reduced costs as well. 

Regardless, the line is now going into a 4th incarnation.  Considering that change rarely does good things for collectible games, I am not very confident that this is going to turn out well.  However, I'm more than willing to hear what WotC has to say about their new plans.  Perhaps the 4th time is a charm.

D&D & Boardgames If I have everything I need to run great games for many years without repeating stuff, why do I need to buy anything right now?
It's difficult to judge how much the increase in oil prices have impacted the cost of minis. Oil based product decorated with another oil based product transported via vehicles that depend upon oil for fuel and parts (more plastics or rubber)...  On top of which everybody needs raises to pay for everything. And, perhaps Hasbro is looking for a higher net profit on minies than WotC did itself?

All change is exciting. Good changes, bad changes; either way, it gets your blood pumping, doesn't it?

I have yet to see 'Change I can believe in'.  Innocent
It would be nice to hear anything new about it.
Why is it so extremely difficult to get even a pack of Savage Encounter Minis?
Typical reply from a WOTC drone. "we don't have anymore info at this time". Thats the answer they give with the future of DDi and now it seems like its the answer they give when asked about the future of the mini line.

If everyone was smart they would be like me and support companies that care about the customer and keep the customer in the loop like Pazio and Dwarven Forge.
Agreed, the mini line is the ONLY WOTC product I buy.
If everyone was smart they would be like me and support companies that care about the customer and keep the customer in the loop like Pazio and Dwarven Forge.

LOL :D
If Paizo and Dwarven Forge make pre-painted minis (and 4E) I WILL support them. Right now our only other option is Reaper and they only come out with a handful a year. And although their quality is great, I don't need anymore skeletons, orcs, etc. Let's not forget that the people who work for Wizards have to answer to the people at Hasbro who have a big business mentality.
Dwarven Forge actually does do prepainted minis. The kick is that they're in exactly two types: orcs and skeletons. They're also more expensive. Though they're on big sale right now, looks like, if someone does need orcs or skeletons. I've got a mountain of them myself as Commons from DDM, so I'm good, though the collector in me itches a little 'Hmm, just $42 plus shipping and I'd have some more. Can't ever have enough. Right?'

Anyhow, eagerly awaiting further news. Hopefully from DDXP this weekend.
in this article:

www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/d...

Sherry Mazzanoble told (in a very funny way) of future D&D products.

I think this is about DDm:

The future is random for players and Dungeon Masters. Once at odds, I see characters and monsters co-existing in the same space peacefully in the distant future. Or rather, trapped in the same space. Once they are unleashed, there is no telling what will happen. But wait… there is telling. I'm psychic, remember?

I see huge danger for players! Can any good come from this very rare occurrence? The future says outlook good… if you're a DM.

Speaking of Dungeon Masters, 2010 might as well be dubbed "The Year of the DM." Characters take heed: This is not good. What I am about to tell you is real. And it is traumatizing. And frightening beyond words (which is unfortunate for a writer).

What incomprehensible fiend has risen from the bowels of the Elemental Chaos? A horrific foe! The most dreaded and dastardly villain of all time! I want to turn away, but I'm paralyzed. Scarier than watching several desperate, delusional women duking it out to marry a guy they've known for eleven days on The Bachelor. In hi-def no less! But if I see it, I must report it because that is the code of the psychic. Yes. We have a code.

To be fair, my view of this baddie is partially impeded by a stainless steel thermos and a grease stained Top Pot Doughnut paper bag, but I'm pretty sure I know what, or rather who, I'm looking at. And no doubt that sound I hear in the distance is that of Dungeon Masters all over creation cackling with Machiavellian delight.

That's funny indeed!

The future is random for players and Dungeon Masters. Once at odds, I see characters and monsters co-existing in the same space peacefully in the distant future. Or rather, trapped in the same space. Once they are unleashed, there is no telling what will happen. But wait… there is telling. I'm psychic, remember?

Is this about boosters going full random again?

I see huge danger for players! Can any good come from this very rare occurrence? The future says outlook good… if you're a DM.

Speaking of Dungeon Masters, 2010 might as well be dubbed "The Year of the DM." Characters take heed: This is not good. What I am about to tell you is real. And it is traumatizing. And frightening beyond words (which is unfortunate for a writer).

What incomprehensible fiend has risen from the bowels of the Elemental Chaos? A horrific foe! The most dreaded and dastardly villain of all time! I want to turn away, but I'm paralyzed. Scarier than watching several desperate, delusional women duking it out to marry a guy they've known for eleven days on The Bachelor. In hi-def no less! But if I see it, I must report it because that is the code of the psychic. Yes. We have a code.

To be fair, my view of this baddie is partially impeded by a stainless steel thermos and a grease stained Top Pot Doughnut paper bag, but I'm pretty sure I know what, or rather who, I'm looking at. And no doubt that sound I hear in the distance is that of Dungeon Masters all over creation cackling with Machiavellian delight.

And that's Orcus??
I agree. 

Cool

So the exciting change was that Streets of Shadow was cancelled? At least we get Lords of Madness in the summer. But really, only one set this year? I wonder if they'll put the whole line out of its misery in 2011.

On the other hand, I was already having difficulty storing my 3000+ D&D minis.
From DnDXp comes some news that matches with Shelly's post.

Original Post bycommunity member Keith53

May:
Limited Edition miniature of Orcus.  price 74.99

August:
Lords of Madness, miniatures, back to 60 minis in collection, 6 in booster pack, non visable, 21.99 each

Nothing else in the list he posted.
From DnDXp comes some news that matches with Shelly's post.

Original Post bycommunity member Keith53

May:
Limited Edition miniature of Orcus.  price 74.99

August:
Lords of Madness, miniatures, back to 60 minis in collection, 6 in booster pack, non visable, 21.99 each

Nothing else in the list he posted.

60 minis, cool; 6 in a pack, it originally was 8...that sucks. Non visible...was neccessary.

21.99? Holy crap, that's almost 4 bucks a mini! Hopefully this is a huge minis set.

But what concerns me most is the statement that "All other mini sets are cancelled."

Could this be the end of DDM, just like what has happened very recently with Star Wars minis?

Halber

Very Rares? Only 1 set per year? Unpainted minis in Castle Ravenloft?

Thanks for continuing to ruin the DDM line, WotC.

Very Rares are a cash grab and a very, very poor idea.
Life's a bowl of cultists.... __________ Champion of the Scale-Creep Resistance & the Invisible Cylinder. Joke Champion of the Fiendish Dire Vampiric Were-Butthatch of Ill Repute.
Let me amend one part of my post.  When asked, they carefully worded a reply, only one miniatures release is officially announced at the present.  He seemed to be hinting that a second miniatures release might be approved and announced later, but I don't place a lot of reliance on hints, winks and nods.  (with a knowing wink, that is all I can say now...)

One FLGS owner present mentioned that the last change in miniatures (the visable packages, small sets, etc.) caused a major drop in his sales.  So maybe WotC hear the cry of the game store owners.

Keith
Keith Hoffman LFR Writing Director for Waterdeep
Thanks for the info, Keith.

As a note, 21.99 was the same price used for Against the Giants. Still 2 less per pack than 2 years ago. I guess we could infer that a non-Huge release would be 14.99 for 6 minis, but that seems overly presumptuous at the moment. Hopefully we'll get a more official note soon enough.
They did say that in addition to Orcus and the HUGE set LoM that they was also a surprize for DDM in 2010, but didn't elaborate on the surprize.

Any Edition

I have learned that WotC's surprises are usually in the "unpleasant" category...
It would be nice to hear anything new about it.
Why is it so extremely difficult to get even a pack of Savage Encounter Minis?

You should be able to find the product easy. Since WOTC dumped the prices. www.miniaturemarket.com/home  that is $59.00 for a full case and once you get $75 you get free shipping.