1/20/2010 StF: "Consortium Report: 'The Incident at the Eye.'"

29 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's Savor the Flavor, which goes live Wednesday on magicthegathering.com.

Anowan's card doesn't really seem to match the character described in this article.  He's obviously willing to kill vampires; for instance his "father," Tenihas.  He is also very obviously at least somewhat blue, as there are multiple references to his thirst for ancient knowledge.  Even if this interest is entirely fueled by a lust for the power of the eye of ugin, Anowan definitely seems like a black/blue character.

maybe something along these lines would have fit better flavorwise:

3UB

UB, T: Destroy target creature.  Draw a card.

4/3  

I am a fan of abyss type effects, and I like the card.  I just don't think the flavor matches up with it.

The image above "One night, Tenihas was brutally murdered in his own bedroom..." is THE HOTNESS.  Nice.

Regarding Anowon...yeesh!  Wow.  Looks VERY strong.  We'll see how the 5 mana affects it.

I enjoyed the arti....report. Very nice. This Anowon sounds like a nice fellow.

I also think the flavour matches just fine... If you are not a Vampire, you are of no use. Fits fine. But I do agree he seems more like a UB character.

Well we know the third Planeswalker is Sarkhan, but the white flames? That could be either Gideon, or Ugin. My money is on Ugin.
98% of people use statistics in their sigs, or have used them in the past. If you are one of the 2% that haven't or don't, place this into your signature. New Magic Forums, Im'a let you finish, but the old Magic Forums were one of the greatest boards of all time!
So, at the end of the comics, Sarkhan knocks out Anowon before he feasts on Chandra.  We have this report of what went down at the Eye:

During a fight with a third planeswalker, Chandra Nalaar was engulfed in a white flame, but it is not known if this affected her physiology or magecraft.

It's my best guess that during Sarkhan's weird vision quest (Journey to the Eye, pt. 2), he learned something of Ugin and maybe was gifted with knowledge of Ghostfire.  Then, he used Chandra to find the Eye, and, now with his knowledge of Ghostfire fully realized, used it to defeat Chandra and alter something at the Eye.

Probably the changes at the Eye have started the Worldwake which will lead to the eventual Rise of the Eldrazi.  Seems like another Bolas scheme is well on its way, but this may be far greater than Sarkhan or Bolas could have imagined.  Either way, Sorin seems PISSED.
rant rescinded. i still don't like this flavor text but i guess it's not as bad as i was thinking at first.
I would like more information over the end of this story. If it comes in latter articles or in an online webcomic, wonderfull. If it comes in a book or real comic that I won't be able to buy because they don't sell it in my country, awful.

And I like the card. But I don't like the flavor text. Copy / Paste from the webcomic?
OMG click HERE! OMG! How to autocard and use decklist format
--->
For autocarding, write [c][/c] with the name of the card inside it. [c]Island[/c] = Island For linking a card to Gatherer without writting the name of said card for readers, use the autocard brackets together with and equal sign and right the name of the real card. Then put the message you want inside the tags, like you would do with autocarding. Like this: [c=Curse of the Cabal]Captain Never-resolves[/c] = Captain Never-resolves For using the decklist format, follow this: [deck] 4* Terramorphic Expanse 4* Evolving Wilds ... [/deck] It equals:
Real signature, Sblocked for space:
57817638 wrote:
I like storm crow because I really like crows in real life, as an animal, and the card isn't terribly stupid, but packs a good deal of nostalgia and also a chunck of the game's history. So it's perhaps one of the cards I have most affection to, but not because "lol storm crow is bad hurr hurr durr".
Listen to my SoundCloud while you read my signature. The Island, Come And See, The Landlord's Daughter, You'll Not Feel The Drowning - The Decemberists by vimschy IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/rkvR.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/L3es.gif) IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/m71H.gif)
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
Although I do assume you deliberately refer to them (DCI) as The Grand Imperial Convocation of Evil just for the purposes of making them sound like an ancient and terrible conspiracy.
Now, now. 1994 doesn't quite qualify as "ancient".
56734518 wrote:
Oh, it's a brilliant plan. You see, Bolas was travelling through shadowmoor, causing trouble, when he saw a Wickerbough Elder with its stylin' dead scarecrow hat. Now, Bolas being Bolas took the awesome hat and he put it on his head, but even with all his titanic powers of magic he couldn't make it fit. He grabbed some more scarecrows, but then a little kithkin girl asked if he was trying to build a toupee. "BY ALL THE POWERS IN THE MULTIVERSE!" he roared, "I WILL HAVE A HAT WORTHY OF MY GLORY." and so he went through his Dark Lore of Doom (tm) looking for something he could make into a hat that would look as stylish on him as a scarecrow does on a treefolk. He thought about the Phyrexians, but they were covered in goopy oil that would make his nonexistant hair greasy. He Tried out angels for a while but they didn't sit quite right. Then, he looked under "e" (because in the Elder Draconic alphabet, "e" for Eldrazi is right next to "h" for Hat) in his Dark Lore of Doom and saw depictions of the Eldrazi, and all their forms. "THIS SHALL BE MY HAT!" he declared, poking a picture of Emrakul, "AND WITH IT I WILL USHER IN A NEW AGE OF DARKNESS -- ER, I MEAN A NEW AGE OF FASHION!" And so Nicol Bolas masterminded the release of the Eldrazi.
57864098 wrote:
Rhox War Monk just flips pancakes, and if games have told us anything, it's that food = life.
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
This thread has gotten creepy. XP
Really? Really? The last couple days have been roughly every perverse fetish imaginable, but it only got "creepy" when speculation on Mother of Runes's mob affiliation came up?
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
Nice mana base. Not really.
Yeah, really. If my deck was going to cost $1000+, I'd at least make it good.
99812049 wrote:
I like to think up what I consider clever names for my decks, only later to be laughed at by my wife. It kills me a little on the inside, but thats what marriage is about.
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
Of course, the best use [of tolaria west] is transmuting for the real Tolaria. ;)
Absolutely. I used to loose to my buddy's Banding deck for ages, it was then that I found out about Tolaria, and I was finally able win my first game.
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
You know, being shallow and jusdgmental aside, "I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
"I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
The only way I'd cast this card is into a bonfire.
82032421 wrote:
The short answer is that there's no rule barring annoying people from posting, but there a rule barring us from harassing them about it.
56747598 wrote:
Browbeat is a card that is an appropriate deck choice when there's no better idea available. "No better idea available" was pretty much the running theme of Odyssey era.
56874518 wrote:
Or perhaps it was a more straightforward comment indicating a wish for you to be bitten (Perhaps repeatedly) by a small yet highly venomous arachnid.
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
You're an idiot, and I'm in no mood for silliness.
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
That's the answer to everything.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
I think the problem is that you don't exist.
This would sound great out of context!
56965458 wrote:
Modern is like playing a new tournament every time : you build a deck, you win with it, don't bother keeping it. Just build another, its key pieces will get banned.
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
I specifically remember posting a thread when I was just a witty bitty noob.
You make it sound like that's still not the case.
58325628 wrote:
Rap is what happens when the c from crap is taken away.
Doug Beyer:
But sometimes it's also challenging. Because sometimes OH MY GOD, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS THING?
141434757 wrote:
Flashforward five thousand years (Click for atmosphere) :
57927608 wrote:
to paraphrase Jeff Goldblum, Vektor finds a way.
58347268 wrote:
when in rome **** AND PILLAGE
143229641 wrote:
I always find it helpful when im angry to dress up in an owl costume and rub pennies all over my body in front of a full body mirror next to the window.
Dymecoar:
Playing Magic without Blue is like sleeping without any sheets or blankets. You can do it...but why?
Omega137:
Me: "I love the moment when a control deck stabilizes. It feels so... right." Omega137: "I like the life drop part until you get there, it's the MtG variant of bungee jumping"
Zigeif777:
Just do it like Yu-Gi-Oh or monkeys: throw all the crap you got at them and hope it works or else the by-standers (or opponents) just get dirty and pissed.
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
It's true that Alpha and Beta didn't contain any cards like Tarmogoyf, Darksteel Colossus, or Platinum Angel. It just contained weak, insignificant cards like Black Lotus, Mox Sapphire, and Time Walk.
Normally it's difficult to pick up on your jokes/sarcasm. But this one's pretty much out there. Good progress. You have moved up to Humanoid. You'll be Human in no time.
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
I didn't know Samurai were known to be able to cut down whole armies...
They can when they're using lightsabers!
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
My wife brought home a baby black squirrel they found on a horse track and cared for it for a few days. We named it Grixis, but it died.
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
[/spoiler] And I'm on Magic Arcana. How about you? Oh, by the way, I'm also on From the Lab now. Twice, actually. And now with my own submited decklist!
Perhaps I read this too fast, but I think I'm missing something here:

"We discovered a witness to an event that is not common knowledge, even to Anowon's followers. A woman named Sabra says she encountered the vampire..."

"Once she recovered the chest, a hidden foe emerged from the shadows and slit her throat. Falling to the ground, she glimpsed her attacker just before she lost consciousness. Her would-be killer was Anowon, of that she has no doubt."

Soooooo her throat was slit and she went back to cap to tell the writer about it? Usually people with slit throats are pretty dead, and don't tell tales.   Unless this person happened to be reanimated and the writer was interviewing the undead, in which case, this is fine.
I believe it happened quite a while ago. And the cut wasn't fatal (God knows why). So after fully recovering, she was able to tell this tale. But I agree that if someone did cut her throat, she would be very dead. Leaving a big ruin full of traps and other dangers with such a wound would be even less likely. Maybe there is a Necromancer among the interviewers as you said...
--->
For autocarding, write [c][/c] with the name of the card inside it. [c]Island[/c] = Island For linking a card to Gatherer without writting the name of said card for readers, use the autocard brackets together with and equal sign and right the name of the real card. Then put the message you want inside the tags, like you would do with autocarding. Like this: [c=Curse of the Cabal]Captain Never-resolves[/c] = Captain Never-resolves For using the decklist format, follow this: [deck] 4* Terramorphic Expanse 4* Evolving Wilds ... [/deck] It equals:
57817638 wrote:
I like storm crow because I really like crows in real life, as an animal, and the card isn't terribly stupid, but packs a good deal of nostalgia and also a chunck of the game's history. So it's perhaps one of the cards I have most affection to, but not because "lol storm crow is bad hurr hurr durr".
Listen to my SoundCloud while you read my signature. The Island, Come And See, The Landlord's Daughter, You'll Not Feel The Drowning - The Decemberists by vimschy IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/rkvR.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/L3es.gif) IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/m71H.gif)
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
Although I do assume you deliberately refer to them (DCI) as The Grand Imperial Convocation of Evil just for the purposes of making them sound like an ancient and terrible conspiracy.
56734518 wrote:
Oh, it's a brilliant plan. You see, Bolas was travelling through shadowmoor, causing trouble, when he saw a Wickerbough Elder with its stylin' dead scarecrow hat. Now, Bolas being Bolas took the awesome hat and he put it on his head, but even with all his titanic powers of magic he couldn't make it fit. He grabbed some more scarecrows, but then a little kithkin girl asked if he was trying to build a toupee. "BY ALL THE POWERS IN THE MULTIVERSE!" he roared, "I WILL HAVE A HAT WORTHY OF MY GLORY." and so he went through his Dark Lore of Doom (tm) looking for something he could make into a hat that would look as stylish on him as a scarecrow does on a treefolk. He thought about the Phyrexians, but they were covered in goopy oil that would make his nonexistant hair greasy. He Tried out angels for a while but they didn't sit quite right. Then, he looked under "e" (because in the Elder Draconic alphabet, "e" for Eldrazi is right next to "h" for Hat) in his Dark Lore of Doom and saw depictions of the Eldrazi, and all their forms. "THIS SHALL BE MY HAT!" he declared, poking a picture of Emrakul, "AND WITH IT I WILL USHER IN A NEW AGE OF DARKNESS -- ER, I MEAN A NEW AGE OF FASHION!" And so Nicol Bolas masterminded the release of the Eldrazi.
57864098 wrote:
Rhox War Monk just flips pancakes, and if games have told us anything, it's that food = life.
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
Really? Really? The last couple days have been roughly every perverse fetish imaginable, but it only got "creepy" when speculation on Mother of Runes's mob affiliation came up?
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
99812049 wrote:
I like to think up what I consider clever names for my decks, only later to be laughed at by my wife. It kills me a little on the inside, but thats what marriage is about.
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
Of course, the best use [of tolaria west] is transmuting for the real Tolaria. ;)
Absolutely. I used to loose to my buddy's Banding deck for ages, it was then that I found out about Tolaria, and I was finally able win my first game.
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
You know, being shallow and jusdgmental aside, "I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
"I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
82032421 wrote:
The short answer is that there's no rule barring annoying people from posting, but there a rule barring us from harassing them about it.
56747598 wrote:
Browbeat is a card that is an appropriate deck choice when there's no better idea available. "No better idea available" was pretty much the running theme of Odyssey era.
56874518 wrote:
Or perhaps it was a more straightforward comment indicating a wish for you to be bitten (Perhaps repeatedly) by a small yet highly venomous arachnid.
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
Modern is like playing a new tournament every time : you build a deck, you win with it, don't bother keeping it. Just build another, its key pieces will get banned.
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
58325628 wrote:
Doug Beyer:
But sometimes it's also challenging. Because sometimes OH MY GOD, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS THING?
141434757 wrote:
57927608 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
143229641 wrote:
I always find it helpful when im angry to dress up in an owl costume and rub pennies all over my body in front of a full body mirror next to the window.
Dymecoar:
Playing Magic without Blue is like sleeping without any sheets or blankets. You can do it...but why?
Omega137:
Me: "I love the moment when a control deck stabilizes. It feels so... right." Omega137: "I like the life drop part until you get there, it's the MtG variant of bungee jumping"
Zigeif777:
Just do it like Yu-Gi-Oh or monkeys: throw all the crap you got at them and hope it works or else the by-standers (or opponents) just get dirty and pissed.
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
It's true that Alpha and Beta didn't contain any cards like Tarmogoyf, Darksteel Colossus, or Platinum Angel. It just contained weak, insignificant cards like Black Lotus, Mox Sapphire, and Time Walk.
Normally it's difficult to pick up on your jokes/sarcasm. But this one's pretty much out there. Good progress. You have moved up to Humanoid. You'll be Human in no time.
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
My wife brought home a baby black squirrel they found on a horse track and cared for it for a few days. We named it Grixis, but it died.
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
[/spoiler] And I'm on Magic Arcana. How about you? Oh, by the way, I'm also on From the Lab now. Twice, actually. And now with my own submited decklist!
Left for dead makes sense to me. Some tough tomb raider crawling out of the shhhhtuff makes sense enough. Adds to the flavor, IMO.

I don't see an issue with something somewhat improbable happening. It's vital to storytelling.

In truth, occassional improbability makes a story more realistic than when it's stilted on stretched logic. Strange stuff happens in real life.

IMO, this is MUCH preferable to cramming irrelevant necromancy into a story to make it pass some stretched logic test. The current version makes it vibrant. Adding necromancy would seem forced and unfocused, and probably confusing.
In truth, occassional improbability makes a story more realistic than when it's stilted on stretched logic.

"improbable" and "based on stretched logic" sound kinda...synonymous to me.
So Kalitas is mythic, and this guy who is causing the Worldwake is not? Smooth, Wizards.
Don't mess with the Evil Cheesecake or it will go straight to your thighs. With its teeth. I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
In truth, occassional improbability makes a story more realistic than when it's stilted on stretched logic.

"improbable" and "based on stretched logic" sound kinda...synonymous to me.

Not at all.

Stretched logic is when people try to overuse logic. A classic example is folks arguing about the biology of merfolk. In this case, it is distorting a story structure to stuff in a necromancer to explain something that makes sense on its own. Straining out a gnat and swallowing a camel, so to speak.

Improbable is an unlikely event occurring. Obviously, overusing improbable events in storytelling is not appealling to western culture. Speaking as a westerner, I don't think this event approachs overuse even in a strict context. (Most other cultures are much freer in the storytelling use of the improbable or even impossible.)

It's simple communication. IMO, adding a necromancer doesn't add anything to the story, and quite possibly would be a confusing addition.
I'm not saying it was supposed to be in the story. Not at all, it would be very unecessary. But the fact that they did everything possible to convince us that Zendikar's ruins are very dangerous helps making the fact that a person that had received such a wound to leave them and survive very unlikely. Anyway, I'm not saying this story is better nor worse because of this, even less that it should have been changed. But we have the right to use our own imagination and think of a reason for this woman to be able to tell the story. Please, don't overeact to something as trivial as this.
--->
57817638 wrote:
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
56734518 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
99812049 wrote:
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
82032421 wrote:
56747598 wrote:
56874518 wrote:
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
58325628 wrote:
Doug Beyer:
141434757 wrote:
57927608 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
143229641 wrote:
Dymecoar:
Omega137:
Zigeif777:
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
I'm not saying it was supposed to be in the story. Not at all, it would be very unecessary. But the fact that they did everything possible to convince us that Zendikar's ruins are very dangerous helps making the fact that a person that had received such a wound to leave them and survive very unlikely. Anyway, I'm not saying this story is better nor worse because of this, even less that it should have been changed. But we have the right to use our own imagination and think of a reason for this woman to be able to tell the story. Please, don't overeact to something as trivial as this.

Actually, I was responding to Deruvid's post.

I tend to advocate a less stringent approach to storytelling than what western culture teaches. Apologies if it seemed an overreaction...
What I want to know is...who's "we"?

Jace is not a native of Zendikar. Jace was not involved in writing the report (it was prepared "at his request"). Yet clearly agents of the Consortium are on the ground in Zendikar. They're not as skilled as Jace, either--I don't think Jace would ever have to resort to "physical restraints" to do a little mind trawling!

So what's the nature of the Consortium, and why does it have agents in Zendikar? How did they get there? Who are they?

The PoV issues are bothering me. Maybe someone with a better understanding of the lore can fill me in.
Here is a good place to start. The Consortium are (not confirmed) the shadowy organisation that have recruited Jace as an agent, appearing in Fuel for the Fire and The Veil's Curse. They collect artifacts and lore from across the Multiverse. There's probably more about them in the novel Agents of Artifice.
Don't mess with the Evil Cheesecake or it will go straight to your thighs. With its teeth. I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
Perhaps I read this too fast, but I think I'm missing something here:

"We discovered a witness to an event that is not common knowledge, even to Anowon's followers. A woman named Sabra says she encountered the vampire..."

"Once she recovered the chest, a hidden foe emerged from the shadows and slit her throat. Falling to the ground, she glimpsed her attacker just before she lost consciousness. Her would-be killer was Anowon, of that she has no doubt."

Soooooo her throat was slit and she went back to cap to tell the writer about it? Usually people with slit throats are pretty dead, and don't tell tales.   Unless this person happened to be reanimated and the writer was interviewing the undead, in which case, this is fine.

Yes, this passage confused me as well.  I reread it a couple of times to see if I had missed something, but apparently you're supposed to somehow assume that getting your throat slit and having all your blood gush out in a matter of minutes is "merely a flesh wound".

It's like if you were watching a TV show.  If someone gets shot, that doesn't necessarily mean they are dead.  If someone gets shot IN THE FREAKING HEAD, you can pretty much assume they are dead.  If they intended for the character to live on, they could easily have made her get stabbed anywhere else in the body that might be believably nonfatal.  I don't understand why you would make a character get her throat slit, then go, "Oh yeah, and then she got better."

Well, the most interesting thing in this article to me was the mention of Chandra being consumed by white fire and then the specific mention of how it is unknown how it would affect her. It pointing to the notion that Chandra will make a third incarnation as the white Planeswalker to finish the cycle of Planeswalkers for this block. Seems improbable with her already appearing again in the same block but Wizards likes to defy expectations from time to time and this just seemed like its setting that up  to me.

Also about the throat being slit, they need Anowon to think he killed her and that why he left without actually finishing the job. The fact that it should have been a fatal wound was why it was used in the story to begin with. Anowon didn't expect her to live, giving her the opportunity to survive.

Also about the throat being slit, they need Anowon to think he killed her and that why he left without actually finishing the job. The fact that it should have been a fatal wound was why it was used in the story to begin with. Anowon didn't expect her to live, giving her the opportunity to survive. 

There is a huge difference between "believably fatal, but also believably nonfatal" and "believably fatal, not believably nonfatal".  Anowon decapitates her, puts her head in a vat of acid, incinerates her body in molten lava, and feeds whatever is left of her bones to his dog.  BUT WAIT: she gets better!  At a certain point, you just end up making your audience roll their eyes, and surviving getting your throat slit is so far beyond that line it's not even funny.

I believe that she just got her throat slit because they had an image of Anowon cutting the throat of a woman in the webcomic. So, as a way of recycling the image, they just stretched the story a bit.
--->
57817638 wrote:
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
56734518 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
99812049 wrote:
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
82032421 wrote:
56747598 wrote:
56874518 wrote:
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
58325628 wrote:
Doug Beyer:
141434757 wrote:
57927608 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
143229641 wrote:
Dymecoar:
Omega137:
Zigeif777:
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:

People actually can survive having their throat slit as long as their main artery isn't slit wide open thus causing them to bleed to death uncontrollably.

*warning this video show someone getting his throat slit and bleeding all over the Ice, but he survives*

www.liveleak.com/view?i=1ef_1202514712

depending on the damage you can stop the bleeding yourself, or slow it down by wrapping the wound.

I'm just saying that it’s not a 100% fatal wound, especially if the attacker is careless and preoccupied, with say a valuable treasure.

Also it’s a world of magic blah, blah, but seriously the scene is simply a throwback the 3rd part of the graphic novel where they show that scene and Anowon is cutting someone’s throat.

Edit- Vektor480 beat me to the point, too busy trying to look up whether you can survive you throat being slit, lol.

There is a huge difference between "believably fatal, but also believably nonfatal" and "believably fatal, not believably nonfatal".  Anowon decapitates her, puts her head in a vat of acid, incinerates her body in molten lava, and feeds whatever is left of her bones to his dog.  BUT WAIT: she gets better!  At a certain point, you just end up making your audience roll their eyes, and surviving getting your throat slit is so far beyond that line it's not even funny.

I'm no doctor, so maybe it is in ignorance that I don't think it is far-fetched.

The wound has to be severe enough that Anowan believes it to be certain death, but you're right, he can't be incinerating her in lava either. Plus, it has to be done with materials readily available in the comic book scene that will are not too conceptual as to confuse the reader. (Ah Vektor480 beat me to it too!)

What particular wound would you suggest?
So far everyone seems to be speculating that Chandra being engulfed in white flame is a bad thing for her.  Based on the text/mechanic of Ghostfire and all the images of Chandra in battlemode (usually she is engulfed in orange/red normal flames in this case), I would guess that being engulfed in white flame would mean that Chandra has somehow "gone colorless" and perhaps derived other benefits from contact with the eye of Ugin.

Anowan's card doesn't really seem to match the character described in this article.  He's obviously willing to kill vampires; for instance his "father," Tenihas.  He is also very obviously at least somewhat blue, as there are multiple references to his thirst for ancient knowledge.  Even if this interest is entirely fueled by a lust for the power of the eye of ugin, Anowan definitely seems like a black/blue character.

maybe something along these lines would have fit better flavorwise:

3UB

UB, T: Destroy target creature.  Draw a card.

4/3  

I am a fan of abyss type effects, and I like the card.  I just don't think the flavor matches up with it.

I have to agree. The story about him is about knowlege at any price, which is why i thought there should be some Blue in him, as well as card drawing and sacrificing. I think it would fit much better...
I'd be more excited about the card if it didn't die to Lightning Bolt and could block Bloodbraid Elf.

- Doug

"Collectability is just a code-word for ripping you off." - David Sirlin

Ha ha! I beat you all!
--->
57817638 wrote:
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
56734518 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
99812049 wrote:
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
82032421 wrote:
56747598 wrote:
56874518 wrote:
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
58325628 wrote:
Doug Beyer:
141434757 wrote:
57927608 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
143229641 wrote:
Dymecoar:
Omega137:
Zigeif777:
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
I enjoyed the arti....report. Very nice. This Anowon sounds like a nice fellow.

I also think the flavour matches just fine... If you are not a Vampire, you are of no use. Fits fine. But I do agree he seems more like a UB character.

Well we know the third Planeswalker is Sarkhan, but the white flames? That could be either Gideon, or Ugin. My money is on Ugin.

no it isnt a reference to either, its a reference to the fact that Chandra entered a nexus of white mana, where she should have learned some sort of white magic related to either destruction or judgement, if at least a more stable way to planeswalk.

when i found out about Chandra going to Zendikar, i fully thought she would be a red/white planeswalker 
What card is the art with the 3 merfolk in it ?
Sign In to post comments