Expanding Star Wars Miniatures (Discussion & Ideas)

I know there was a topic before the forum change discussing ways to expand the game, but I need more posts anyway. Tongue out

So what are some effective ways to expand this game to a larger audience? What can we do as individual players to bring more players to this wonderful game? While more players = more fun and larger fanbase, this also means more customers for Wizards (and ultimately, Hasbro), which can garner more attention from WotC for their Star Wars Miniatures franchise.

1. Some obvious ideas are to tell friends about this game and actually teach them how easy it is to learn and play. Reenact some battles from the films, CW show, comics, books, etc. Hold your own tournaments at home or at your local game store.

2. Play some games with a friend or 2 in a public place. You'd be surprised how curious people can be. I'm planning to have games more often with a friend at my local Borders book store.

3. Social media. There are many, many Star Wars fans out there on social media sites such as Facebook or Twitter. You can blog about a recent match (add quality pictures!) or mass game you had. This coming Saturday, GvE Games will be having a massive Battle of Kashyyyk game and I'll be participating and taking pictures which I'll be posting on my personal blog and on Facebook.

These are just a few ideas I have so far. I do think we all need to be much more proactive about attracting more players into SWMs rather than worry about the party poopers leaving the game.

So let's be positive and help ourselves keep this game rolling onto the next couple of years. Laughing
Wizards needs to actually give a damn.
Do you want to help advance the game when Wizards pulls the plug? Go Here: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75862/22337613/Minis_YOU_want_to_see:_The_first_step - - -
I second that. They haven't shown much interest in SWM, especially with a new set at the doorstep.Yell
Wizards needs to actually give a damn.

/thread

IMAGE(http://www.lusogamer.com/live/green/gamercard_gamerbar/EmporerDragon.png)
@nynja,
great ideas here! Laughing
I currently do all of the above! I get a couple of people that come along and play or that see me play in a public place and wonder what it is im playing/where they can get it from. Unfortunately, there are few places in my locality that they still can purchase from... but i send them and tell them who to see at my LGS. Some potential players actually purchased minis! Laughing

Some bad things happened too; some of my demo minis were STOLEN! and some of the potential players only came along to see what free prize support i was offering (none, hence most of the snatch and grab style looting!) But overall, it was a generally positive experience!

In the future, i think there needs to be the following things put in place to ensure the longevity of our game;
1. Some form of support from WotC (after all, we are bringing them customers/ thats what customers want). --- customer service would go a long way with WotC, to be sure (when compared to Paizo, G.W. or any of the other rival miniatures companies)
Support could be in the form of competitions (these are great! Laughing), retailer incentives (NOT of the redemption kind) or focusing on demographics outside of North America.

2. between 1% and 5% of all existing players needs to be actively pursuing new players/ demoing the game. Any more than this, and we come across as "preachy" and any less and we may as well not be doing anything! Laughing

3. New and exciting formats of game play. Consider GW's W40K; it uses THOUSANDS of points for its system (which is similar in many respects, right down to 'measuring'*). My point? Why not make a gargantuan format that sees 1000pts a side! That could be interesting... Dynamic Duos was a godsend at my LGS; so many new players jumped on board for that one!

Hows about introducing some SWM scaled space-craft into the fray (and im not talking about starship battles Tongue out)? Again, borrowing from W40K, these vehicles would be hefty points wise and would strafe the field of battle (or hover to unload troops). This action would attract many new players, simply due to the new level of strategy involved.

---- These are my humble additions to your thread, Nynja. I look forward to seeing more suggestions presented as this discussion continues! Laughing
Kobayashimaru
There are other things that I would suggest:

1) Scenario sets - Include 3d cardboard models, cardboard scenery

2) 3d maps, provide either in packs or as separates. Nothing looks as good as a 3d battle scene. I know what attracted me to GW was the in-store battles scenes.

3) Agreement to sell in GWs etc. how many kids love star wars, how many go past GW shops and who wouldn't love to see a huge set up scenario of endor???

btw I am considering creating my own resin cast 3d scenery sets in the near future!
1000 point games take a long time to play. Too long IMO. But they can be fun. If something like that were put forward then there would need to be a list of banned figures and abilities. Especially Darth Vader, Dark Jedi.

I have been meaning to go to my college gamers society and introduce SWM to them, but due to bad weather and hideous deadlines, I have been unable to. However in 2 weeks I hope to be beginning the process of nuturing some players where I live.
@Kobayashimaru:

You assume that you are not getting support from Wizards because you do not live in North America. It wouldn't be that different if you were here. It's not a disregard for Australia, it's a disregard for everywhere.
Do you want to help advance the game when Wizards pulls the plug? Go Here: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75862/22337613/Minis_YOU_want_to_see:_The_first_step - - -
I have said it many times that we have no LGS here in Eugene that support SW minis.  There is a launch event up in POrtland but it's 2 hrs away and the friends that I have that are intrested in the game are worried about driving up, spening the money and not being comfortable having to play.  So I have to cases of DT coming and I will host my own sealed tourney,  (if i have more than 6 people, I have a case of LotF I order at the same time and can use that too if needed.)  Hopefully this will tun into something more people want to do.
@nynja,

3. New and exciting formats of game play. Consider GW's W40K; it uses THOUSANDS of points for its system (which is similar in many respects, right down to 'measuring'*). My point? Why not make a gargantuan format that sees 1000pts a side! That could be interesting... Dynamic Duos was a godsend at my LGS; so many new players jumped on board for that one!

Kobayashimaru

I have to agree with this one a lot.
As long as it doesn't matter to you that your LGS follows DCI to the T, make sure that all the different types of games are available to all those different types of players.

I have thought of one recently that I really want to try out.  A competitive DCI tournament with everything as competitive as possible, but call it Limited format, and make it 8 activations or less (150 pts or 200 pts) just like old D&D minis.

The people over at SWMUniverse always talk about the different types of games that they try out, and they seem to have a blast and bring in a lot of the younger element that a lot of the more competitive scenes are missing out on.  I know when I have kids that I will be showing them Star wars minis at a very early age

I think the key to creating custom scenarios is to create in essence a less-broken game, rather than trying to break the game in favor of your favorite character.  For example, the limited format is much more limits broken combinations with out-activation and tempo control than it helps power-houses, as a lot of those tempo control combinations can still be played, just with a bit less effectiveness than before.

For a 1000 point battle, there has to be a lot of limiting factors given the fact that you are making uber a heck of a lot of commanders (specifically new ones).  I heard on one of these boards at some point to limit the entire team to 1 commander effect at a time. (If that commander dies, another commander effect can come into effect) [it would have to include a lot of special abilities also]
RS 55/60; CS 54/60; RotS 55/60; UH 46/60; CotF 60/60; BH 44/60; A&E 58/60; FU 49/60; LotF 60/60; KotOR 57/60;
CW 40/40; IE 39/40; JA 40/40; GaW 40/40; DT 39/40; MotF 40/40
@AdmiralMotti89;
My point was this: So SWM arent popular in North America. WotC should perhaps "cut their losses" in North America and look at sales figures world wide, and sell harder in the best areas. That was more my point there, Admiral Laughing

@Thestarkiller;
For 1000pt games, my LGS prototyped adapted GW W40K rules... basically the empire was like the space marines and followed similar codex stucture. It meant that squads were made; grunts were brought to the fore-front and strategy suddenly became necessary! Laughing Ranges are the same as SWM, so melee attack means adjacent, non-melee attacks are rangeless and so on...

Then, heroes were adapted as HQ choices (limited to three HQ slots per army, as per W40K). This seemed fair, you could have The Emperor, Lord Vader and either Mara Jade or a retinue of Royal Guards for your HQ choices. The Emperor could take an elite Royal Bodyguard squad, and Vader could take a retinue of 501st troopers! Laughing

It seemed interesting enough anyways... commander effects are no real problem on maps, and mas ameda was taken care of via this simple rule; if there are two mas amedas on the field (both of the opposing armies had a copy of mas in them) then either mas ameda couldnt be used for the battle or one would be taken off the field and the other essentially became a savage/internal stifing independent character in the middle of the board! Laughing

This mod to SWM made the game much more fun... strategy with flanking, outmanuvering and jedi became a little more dangerous! Laughing

Kobayashimaru