1/20/2010 BoaB: "The Urge to Feed"

28 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's Building on a Budget, which goes live Wednesday morning on magicthegathering.com.

Why is Terror listed in the Budget Vampires "Standard with Worldwake" list?

Reprint? Or did you mean Doom Blade?

Regardless, it looks like the "best color" in draft keeps getting better...
Bah, someone beat me to the Terror notification....

Reprinted in Worldwake perhaps, or writer's slip?
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
I'm calling it - That infinity symbol is an upcoming expansion symbol.  If I'm correct, everyone reading this post has to build a deck using worldslayer.  Yes, you too.

Kalastria Highborn makes Sign in Blood look RIDICULOUS.  ("Hey, Black.  You're going to have to pay life whenever you do things ... By the way, you can drain life.  No, no.  Not GAIN life, you can DRAIN life.  You get burn spells along with your card drawing.  That's not retarded at all.  Also, enjoy your Jackal Pup and Duress.")

When you say the Elves List ran one Stomping Ground, what for? I'd like to try it, but don't see what you're fetching red mana for. Teasing us with part of the list is mean, sir. Just mean!

Anyone know where to find the decklists from that PTQ?

Thanks for the Vampire lists, too. My g/f appreciates it. She's going to beat me even more often now.

Edit: Grapeshot, I'm dumb. Thanks to the post below.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
The decklist is in a report posted by Chris Lachmann at ChannelFireball, and featured a sideboard with 4 Blood Moon, 2Magus of the Moon and 3 Ancient Grudge, along with a maindeck Grapeshot for the storm kill.  (8 fetchlands + 1 dual land=9 red sources).
Another chance to legitamize the "Tribal" card type wasted... decent card, though.
Another chance to legitamize the "Tribal" card type wasted... decent card, though.

Tribal has gone the way of the Tombstone Symbol.

Accept it.

Tribal has gone the way of the Tombstone Symbol.

Accept it.

Eh.  Just a sad thing that Wizards would create something so major without pressing it and giving it any actual impact in the game outside of pumping a certain chase rare...
Clearly, "incredibly obvious" is trumped by "we're not explicitly hammering that theme into the ground this time".
I'm curious about the Terror in that deck list, too.
You are Red/Blue!

Ok the terror in the budget standard deck should probably be doom blade or hideous end, unless terror is reprinted in Worldwake. Also about the Grapeshot in the budget elf deck: the only way I see to cast it are the two manamorphoses, are these enough to cast it reliably?

Jacob, although I usually find your articles and decklists interesting, small mistakes like this terror in a standard decklist seem to have happened several times lately, please check these little details a bit better (or ask your editor to keep an eye out for them). I know these things can slip through unnoticed easily, but still.

Ok I am bit new but could someone explain to me how any of these enable you to go infinite? Could someone walk me through the steps on one of these. Perhaps I am misunderstanding how Heritage druid works.

Heritage Druid + Nettle Sentinel + Elvish Visionary = Draw any number of cards

Heritage Druid + Essence Warden + any one-mana creature = Infinite life gain

Heritage Druid + Nettle Sentinel + any one-mana creature = Infinite mana

Heritage Druid + any two one-mana creatures = Infinite storm

Ok I am bit new but could someone explain to me how any of these enable you to go infinite? Could someone walk me through the steps on one of these. Perhaps I am misunderstanding how Heritage druid works.

1) Heritage Druid + Nettle Sentinel + Elvish Visionary = Draw any number of cards

Heritage Druid + Essence Warden + any one-mana creature = Infinite life gain

Heritage Druid + Nettle Sentinel + any one-mana creature = Infinite mana

Heritage Druid + any two one-mana creatures = Infinite storm

Remember you have Cloudstone Curio on the battlefield.
I think the "one mana creature" should be "one mana elf creature" to go with heritage druid.
1) You play Elvish Visionary, (Pay the cost with lands the first time), then you put the Curio's ability and the visionary ability on the stack. Before these abilities resolve, you tap Druid + Nettle + Visionary to make Three Green Mana. You Draw a Card (visionary ability), then Bounce the Druid (curio's ability). You can play the druid (cost one green mana out of three in your mana pool), untap the nettle (nettle ability), bounce the visionary (Curio's abilities), play the visionary (two green mana) and you start again from the beginning...
You can draw all your deck.

Others combos run the same way...

i know i'm basically repeating what's already been said, but creating an entire new card type and then not using it in a block where (for some bizarre reason) you're doing even more tribal stuff (hope no one's tired of that by now!) and where it would therefore make perfect sense to use it just boggles my mind. what a waste of an idea. the fact that tribal doesn't feel like a different card type in the first place makes it seem even sillier. if you're not going to use tribal ever again, why not just word the relevant cards so that you don't need it? you know, like some kind of keyword that amounts to "tarfire counts as a goblin card to cards that would count goblins." it would be ugly, yes, but does that justify creating a new card type and then abandoning it?
I'm calling it - That infinity symbol is an upcoming expansion symbol.  If I'm correct, everyone reading this post has to build a deck using worldslayer.  Yes, you too.

Too late, I already have one
OMG click HERE! OMG! How to autocard and use decklist format
--->
For autocarding, write [c][/c] with the name of the card inside it. [c]Island[/c] = Island For linking a card to Gatherer without writting the name of said card for readers, use the autocard brackets together with and equal sign and right the name of the real card. Then put the message you want inside the tags, like you would do with autocarding. Like this: [c=Curse of the Cabal]Captain Never-resolves[/c] = Captain Never-resolves For using the decklist format, follow this: [deck] 4* Terramorphic Expanse 4* Evolving Wilds ... [/deck] It equals:
Real signature, Sblocked for space:
57817638 wrote:
I like storm crow because I really like crows in real life, as an animal, and the card isn't terribly stupid, but packs a good deal of nostalgia and also a chunck of the game's history. So it's perhaps one of the cards I have most affection to, but not because "lol storm crow is bad hurr hurr durr".
Listen to my SoundCloud while you read my signature. The Island, Come And See, The Landlord's Daughter, You'll Not Feel The Drowning - The Decemberists by vimschy IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/rkvR.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/L3es.gif) IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/m71H.gif)
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
Although I do assume you deliberately refer to them (DCI) as The Grand Imperial Convocation of Evil just for the purposes of making them sound like an ancient and terrible conspiracy.
Now, now. 1994 doesn't quite qualify as "ancient".
56734518 wrote:
Oh, it's a brilliant plan. You see, Bolas was travelling through shadowmoor, causing trouble, when he saw a Wickerbough Elder with its stylin' dead scarecrow hat. Now, Bolas being Bolas took the awesome hat and he put it on his head, but even with all his titanic powers of magic he couldn't make it fit. He grabbed some more scarecrows, but then a little kithkin girl asked if he was trying to build a toupee. "BY ALL THE POWERS IN THE MULTIVERSE!" he roared, "I WILL HAVE A HAT WORTHY OF MY GLORY." and so he went through his Dark Lore of Doom (tm) looking for something he could make into a hat that would look as stylish on him as a scarecrow does on a treefolk. He thought about the Phyrexians, but they were covered in goopy oil that would make his nonexistant hair greasy. He Tried out angels for a while but they didn't sit quite right. Then, he looked under "e" (because in the Elder Draconic alphabet, "e" for Eldrazi is right next to "h" for Hat) in his Dark Lore of Doom and saw depictions of the Eldrazi, and all their forms. "THIS SHALL BE MY HAT!" he declared, poking a picture of Emrakul, "AND WITH IT I WILL USHER IN A NEW AGE OF DARKNESS -- ER, I MEAN A NEW AGE OF FASHION!" And so Nicol Bolas masterminded the release of the Eldrazi.
57864098 wrote:
Rhox War Monk just flips pancakes, and if games have told us anything, it's that food = life.
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
This thread has gotten creepy. XP
Really? Really? The last couple days have been roughly every perverse fetish imaginable, but it only got "creepy" when speculation on Mother of Runes's mob affiliation came up?
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
Nice mana base. Not really.
Yeah, really. If my deck was going to cost $1000+, I'd at least make it good.
99812049 wrote:
I like to think up what I consider clever names for my decks, only later to be laughed at by my wife. It kills me a little on the inside, but thats what marriage is about.
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
Of course, the best use [of tolaria west] is transmuting for the real Tolaria. ;)
Absolutely. I used to loose to my buddy's Banding deck for ages, it was then that I found out about Tolaria, and I was finally able win my first game.
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
You know, being shallow and jusdgmental aside, "I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
"I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
The only way I'd cast this card is into a bonfire.
82032421 wrote:
The short answer is that there's no rule barring annoying people from posting, but there a rule barring us from harassing them about it.
56747598 wrote:
Browbeat is a card that is an appropriate deck choice when there's no better idea available. "No better idea available" was pretty much the running theme of Odyssey era.
56874518 wrote:
Or perhaps it was a more straightforward comment indicating a wish for you to be bitten (Perhaps repeatedly) by a small yet highly venomous arachnid.
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
You're an idiot, and I'm in no mood for silliness.
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
That's the answer to everything.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
I think the problem is that you don't exist.
This would sound great out of context!
56965458 wrote:
Modern is like playing a new tournament every time : you build a deck, you win with it, don't bother keeping it. Just build another, its key pieces will get banned.
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
I specifically remember posting a thread when I was just a witty bitty noob.
You make it sound like that's still not the case.
58325628 wrote:
Rap is what happens when the c from crap is taken away.
Doug Beyer:
But sometimes it's also challenging. Because sometimes OH MY GOD, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS THING?
141434757 wrote:
Flashforward five thousand years (Click for atmosphere) :
57927608 wrote:
to paraphrase Jeff Goldblum, Vektor finds a way.
58347268 wrote:
when in rome **** AND PILLAGE
143229641 wrote:
I always find it helpful when im angry to dress up in an owl costume and rub pennies all over my body in front of a full body mirror next to the window.
Dymecoar:
Playing Magic without Blue is like sleeping without any sheets or blankets. You can do it...but why?
Omega137:
Me: "I love the moment when a control deck stabilizes. It feels so... right." Omega137: "I like the life drop part until you get there, it's the MtG variant of bungee jumping"
Zigeif777:
Just do it like Yu-Gi-Oh or monkeys: throw all the crap you got at them and hope it works or else the by-standers (or opponents) just get dirty and pissed.
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
It's true that Alpha and Beta didn't contain any cards like Tarmogoyf, Darksteel Colossus, or Platinum Angel. It just contained weak, insignificant cards like Black Lotus, Mox Sapphire, and Time Walk.
Normally it's difficult to pick up on your jokes/sarcasm. But this one's pretty much out there. Good progress. You have moved up to Humanoid. You'll be Human in no time.
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
I didn't know Samurai were known to be able to cut down whole armies...
They can when they're using lightsabers!
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
My wife brought home a baby black squirrel they found on a horse track and cared for it for a few days. We named it Grixis, but it died.
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
[/spoiler] And I'm on Magic Arcana. How about you? Oh, by the way, I'm also on From the Lab now. Twice, actually. And now with my own submited decklist!
Why is Terror listed in the Budget Vampires "Standard with Worldwake" list?

Reprint? Or did you mean Doom Blade?

A simple error. The list now includes Doom Blade instead.
Gotta agree on the missed opportunity for another tribal card. As much as I disliked the whole concept, I hate it even more when they go to all the trouble of cramming something like that down our throats, then dump it like a sack of moldy tangerines after their pet chase rare rotates out of standard.
Proud member of C.A.R.D. - Campaign Against Rare Duals "...but the time has come when lands just need to be better. Creatures have gotten stronger, spells have always been insane, and lands just sat in this awkward place of necessity." Jacob Van Lunen on the refuge duals, 16 Sep 2009. "While it made thematic sense to separate enemy and allied color fixing in the past, we have come around to the definite conclusion that it is just plain incorrect from a game-play perspective. This is one of these situations where game play should just trump flavor." - Sam Stoddard on ending the separation of allied/enemy dual lands. 05 July 2013
Next wednesday, I will be ready at midnight so I can post the new decklist error first.  That isn't pointless at all.

Anyways, are there any good ways to ramp out Mindlock Orb against fetchland decks in standard?
Apparently with Everflowing Chalice and Etherium Sculpter. Perhaps the return of Tezz? Hmmm. Especially since the Boarderposts don't have to come into play tapped any more....

And then there was "Lights" Ahhhh, enough of this R/G/(B,W) stuff. Lets get some Esper!
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Anyways, are there any good ways to ramp out Mindlock Orb against fetchland decks in standard?

i sure hope so, because i have like 12. i'd like to see a dark depths style transformation in price.

but let's not kid ourselves. mindlock orb is never EVER going to be good at anything. it is awful forever.
Once your team of vampires are tapped for the effect of Urge to work are they still considered blocking or are they no longer eligible blockers because they are now tapped?
if a creature is declared as a blocker and then taps (or attacker, in the case of vigilance) it is not removed from combat. if it was attacking it's still attacking, if it was blocking it's still blocking.
Interesting, I had no idea.  Thanks for clearing that up.  I honestly don't think thats ever come up in the few months I've been playing. Tongue out
it enables weird shenanigans like blocking a 2/2 with your animated mishra's factory and not losing the land. or blocking and killing one 1/1 with your prodigal pyromancer and killing another 1/1 with his ability (two for one yay). or killing a 2/2 with your prodigal pyromancer. etc.
Wow, that sounds pretty awesome.  I had no idea you could stack triggers like that.  Definetly something to think about with the new sparkmage this weekend, assuming of course he has something to wear Tongue out
great deck i to have been using a buget vamps deck and have 2 highborns, but if i were to get bloodghast what shoukd be removed to play it? i was thinking gruul draz. also what would be a good side board for a heavy jund meta game or even a genral SB for the current standard, i was thinking of some commbination of the following: smother, disfigure, mind sluge, marsh casualties, black knight, duress. so thats just to name a few but how does everyone feel about Bloodhusk Ritualist over mind sludge because for the sme price u get a 2/2 and they discard two cards
Sign In to post comments