Storminglord - Ranger(Paladin)/Morninglord/Demigod - DPR 182.71

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
For those who aren't following the DPR thread, here's my variation on LDB's Stormwarden build (I borrowed heavily from his feat selection).  Also a credit to Damon_Tor as I shamelessly stole a few ideas from his various hybrid builds.

Storminglord, level 30 - DPR: 178.91
Cheese Used: 1,6,@

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Norman, level 30
Longtooth Shifter, Ranger, Morninglord, Demigod
Fighting Style: Two-Blade Fighting Style
Divine Spark: Divine Spark Strength
Divine Spark: Divine Spark Wisdom

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 30, Con 14, Dex 18, Int 12, Wis 20, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 11, Dex 13, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 8.

AC: 44 Fort: 43 Reflex: 35 Will: 35
HP: 186 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 46

TRAINED SKILLS
Dungeoneering +25, Stealth +24, Perception +25, Acrobatics +24, Athletics +32, Religion +21

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +16, Bluff +15, Diplomacy +15, Endurance +19, Heal +20, History +16, Insight +20, Intimidate +15, Nature +20, Streetwise +15, Thievery +19

FEATS
Level 1: Weapon Expertise (Heavy Blade)
Level 2: Two-Weapon Fighting
Level 4: Weapon Focus (Heavy Blade)
Level 6: Weapon Proficiency (Bastard sword)
Level 8: Disciple of Divine Wrath
Level 10: Wintertouched
Level 11: Lasting Frost
Level 12: Armor Proficiency (Chainmail)
Level 14: Armor Proficiency (Scale)
Level 16: Pervasive Light
Level 18: Prime Punisher
Level 20: Prime Quarry
Level 21: Heavy Blade Mastery
Level 22: Two-Weapon Opening
Level 24: Prime Hunter
Level 26: Font of Radiance
Level 28: Called Shot
Level 30: Rending Tempest

POWERS
Ranger at-will 1: Hit and Run
Ranger at-will 1: Twin Strike
Ranger encounter 1: Off-Hand Strike
Ranger daily 1: Jaws of the Wolf
Ranger utility 2: Yield Ground
Ranger encounter 3: Disruptive Strike
Ranger daily 5: Frenzied Skirmish
Ranger utility 6: Serpentine Dodge
Ranger encounter 7: Lashing Leaves
Ranger daily 9: Attacks on the Run
Ranger utility 10: Blood of the Fallen
Ranger daily 15: Blade Cascade (replaces Jaws of the Wolf)
Ranger utility 16: Evade the Blow
Ranger encounter 17: Untamed Outburst (replaces Off-Hand Strike)
Ranger daily 19: Cruel Cage of Steel (replaces Frenzied Skirmish)
Ranger utility 22: Master of the Hunt
Ranger encounter 23: Nonchalant Collapse (replaces Disruptive Strike)
Ranger encounter 27: Death Rend (replaces Lashing Leaves)
Ranger daily 29: Follow-up Blow (replaces Cruel Cage of Steel)

ITEMS
Blood Fury Longsword +1, Adventurer's Kit, Siberys Shard of Merciless Cold (epic tier), Siberys Shard of Radiance (epic tier), Iron Armbands of Power (epic tier), Gloves of Ice (epic tier), Ring of Giants (paragon tier), Ring of the Radiant Storm (paragon tier), Belt of Vim (paragon tier), Crown of the Brilliant Sun (paragon tier), Spark Slippers (paragon tier), Symbol of Divine Light +4, Pelor's Sun Blessing (level 3), Frozen Whetstone (heroic tier) (100), Tattoo of Vengeance (paragon tier), Agile Elderscale Armor +6, Radiant Bastard sword +6, Frost Bastard sword +6, Cloak of Displacement +5
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

To-hit Matrix

statlevelprofenhanceexpertiseprimetotal hit

to hitcamisshitboth misseither hitca

Damage Matrix

dice2wfshiftingfocuscoldprimeradiantarmshandssetenhancementshardtotal
M14.31234.99519.956436574.24
MC531234.99519.9564365112.94
S14.3236.99519.956436575.24
SC53236.99519.9564365113.94

DPR Matrix

Main2woSecondChanceQuarryMain Dam2wo DamSec DamFontringrtTotal DExpectation
CCC0.001018112.94124113.94333610447.870.45
CCH0.008518112.9412475.24332410397.173.37
CCM0.000518112.94124332410321.940.16
CHC0.008518112.9485.3113.9433247.15394.323.35
CHH0.072218112.9485.375.2433127.15343.6224.8
CHM0.004318112.9485.333127.15268.391.15
CMC0.000518112.94113.943324301.880.15
CMH0.004318112.9475.243312251.181.08
CMM0.000318112.943312175.940.04
H-C0.085010.574.24113.943312243.6820.7
H-H0.721710.574.2475.24159.98115.45
H-M0.042910.574.2484.743.64
M-C0.005118113.943312176.940.89
M-H0.042910.575.2485.743.68
M-M0.0026

Comments: The build stemmed from an idea that if I use a radiant and a frost weapon with Twin Strike then the power would gain both keywords.  As the power has both keywords, it activates both Lasting Frost and Burning Radiance, giving a vulnerability to the same double attack on the next turn of about 25.

At the beginning of the combat, start with the Blood Fury weapon.  Activate the ability as a minor, then drop your fury sword and draw your radiant weapon as a minor then charge at a solo enemy.  On the first turn we won't have vulnerability so we'll do slightly less damage.  At the start of round 2, empower your radiant weapon with a frozen whetstone so that it does both radiant and cold damage, activate your shifting power and then start twin striking.

A hit with the frost weapon will activate both vulnerabilities due to Pervasive Light.  A hit with the radiant weapon will now also also do the same for the entire encounter. 
Again, I repeat my advice regarding Heavy Armor and Robust Defenses, or you're gonna be a glass cannon extraordinaire. That ain't a good thing in my book.

Here's your vital statistics right now:

AC: 42 --> 10 base, +15 levels, +5 armor, +6 ability (Dexterity), +6 enhancement

HP: 184 --> 12 base, +12 ability (Constitution), +145 levels, +15 Toughness
Healing Surges: 7 --> 6 base, +1 Constitution

This is a recipe for disaster. You either buff one or the other, and AC is easier to buff.
Again, I repeat my advice regarding Heavy Armor and Robust Defenses, or you're gonna be a glass cannon extraordinaire. That ain't a good thing in my book.

Here's your vital statistics right now:

AC: 42 --> 10 base, +15 levels, +5 armor, +6 ability (Dexterity), +6 enhancement

HP: 184 --> 12 base, +12 ability (Constitution), +145 levels, +15 Toughness
Healing Surges: 7 --> 6 base, +1 Constitution

This is a recipe for disaster. You either buff one or the other, and AC is easier to buff.

I agree.  In fact Lethal Hunter only adds 3.31 DPR to the build and is a prime candidate for substituting.

After that:

Swift Blade Style: 5.41
Rending Tempest:  5.44

And then (interestingly): Weapon Focus: 5.95

What should I do to see that matrix ?

I am aware that this build is completely constructed for DPR, but can you give some power progression?

Is it playable after all?

Some nova turn atempts?
Wow, that is kind of low for Weapon Focus, but not totally unexpected when you think about it.

If you give Swift Blade Style the boot, doesn't that free you up to grab a weapon with a bigger [W] than a Rapier, thus softening the DPR blow?

Also, novas like Rending Tempest (and vice versa), so I'd hold off on taking it out, if you can.

And I forgot to say on this thread; Radiant Weapon + Frostcheese + Pervasive Light = Win. Very awesome idea.
Wow, that is kind of low for Weapon Focus, but not totally unexpected when you think about it.

If you give Swift Blade Style the boot, doesn't that free you up to grab a weapon with a bigger [W] than a Rapier, thus softening the DPR blow?

Also, novas like Rending Tempest (and vice versa), so I'd hold off on taking it out, if you can.

And I forgot to say on this thread; Radiant Weapon + Frostcheese + Pervasive Light = Win. Very awesome idea.

If he gets a larger weapon he could also drop nimble blade and that would free two feats.
Ah, if he has Nimble Blade he'll have to run the numbers, though I suspect the Light Blade will prevail regardless.
Nice build !

I realize the cold whetstone is a nice addon to gain the cold vulnerability bonus for both attacks - however, whetstones do use up daily magic item uses. So, for the same amount of times you can use the whetstone, you also could use a +4 dancing rapier for a minor action melee basic attack each round.

Loose: Damage 0.95*(whetstone+vulnerability) + 0.1*0.95*(whetstone+vulnerability) + minor action. Gain: damage =  0.75*(mba with pervasive light).

Also, you might want to take a look at your sblocks. They are perfectly readable while in edit mode, but seem unreadable otherwise (or maybe its just my browser... ?).

Ah, if he has Nimble Blade he'll have to run the numbers, though I suspect the Light Blade will prevail regardless.

I dont know how much Nimble blade normally helps DPR. You are probably right though. You have been running numbers longer than I have been thinking about running numbers.
Have you considered radiant hunter? I'm not sure exactly how the hunter's quarry damage being radiant works, but I would think that that lets you add the damage due to an enemy's vulnerability to radiant again, since hunter's quarry damage is a separate damage source from your attack. It's not totally clear whether or not this works, but if it does, that's a bunch more radiant damage each round.

Another interesting (high-level) variation of this sort of build is to swap out morninglord for pathfinder, and instead inflict radiant vulnerability on the enemy by buying a huge stack brightleaves. If you start at level 30 and spend about half your starting cash on lv. 18 brightleaves, you can buy a stack of about 420 of them (alternatively give up a significant amount of damage and save a lot of cash and use the lv. 8 version/buy a mixture of various levels of brightleaves so you can prioritize based on the difficulty of the encounter exactly how much damage you need to unleash). On its own, this would obviously be a huge loss, but combined with radiant hunter (boosting your hunter's quarry damage by 15 from the enemy's radiant vulnerability) and pathfinder's level 16 class feature (cruel recovery) you can generate between 30 and 40 THP each round with your hunter's quarry damage. This makes you waaaayyy more durable to say the least.
brightleaves is a reagent and only works on encounter and daily powers.
DPR King Candidates 3.0
How much damage should I shoot for?
You're fired : 1 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .2 KPR Fair Striker : 2 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .4 KPR Highly Optimized : 3 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .6 KPR Nerfbat please : 4 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .8 KPR It's OVER 9000!!!!!: 5 Kills Per 5 Rounds = 1+ KPR
DPR? KPR? KP4R? Bless you
DPR = Damage Per round ~= Chance to hit * damage on a hit KPR = Kills Per Round. 1 Kill = 8*Level+24 damage = DPR/(8*level+24) KPNR = Kills Per N Rounds. How many standards can you kill in N rounds?
One thing I would definitely do in this build is take Disciple of Divine Wrath instead of Soldier of Faith. Unless you plan to use any Paladin feats, like Virtuous Recovery, you might as well get two double-roll turns during a battle, which will about equal 6 attacks if you use an AP, not to mention bonus crit chances. It's not going to do much good on at-will DPR, but it'll help you land those big attacks, like the Armor Splinter/Blade Cascade combo. Since you hit twice, I would consider moving just about all of your Wis & Dex into Int and taking Radiant One as a Epic Destiny (Dragon 366). For the AB loss from Demigod, you deal Int modifier every time you hit someone while having combat advantage, which should be just about every time according to your build. While people are debating now whether  Immortal Curse from Punisher of the Gods still returns to you when you kill an enemy (the errata was confusing,) having so many attacks might help your build deal more DPR than Demigod also, but I would choose Radiant One first. I wish I could see your numbers with the matrix so I can run them through the comparifier, but I think Radiant One should definitely help
brightleaves is a reagent and only works on encounter and daily powers.

Oh wow, can't believe I missed that. That considerably complicates things. It'd still work on some level since rangers have a bunch of minor action encounter powers to set it up, but your strictly at-will DPR would certainly plummet and it'd be less reliable.
I've hopefully fixed the sblocks.

Thanks for the feedback.  I didn't realise that whetstones count towards your daily item usage.

Nimble Blade is droppable - I actually left out Prime Hunter as I didn't need the extra +1.  So you could drop Swift Blade and Nimble Blade and maybe go with double bastard swords.
I have a question, does using a frost and radiant weapon add the frost and radiant keyword to both Twin Strike attacks? 

You can't add a keyword to an attack - just to a power.  An attack can only do a particular type of damage.  This build uses Pervasive Light to add radiant vulnerability damage to the Frost weapon and uses a frozen whetstone to add cold damage to the Radiant weapon.

I'm not particularly happy with the whetstone though so would be happy if someone could think of another way. 

Would using Radiant Hunter and two frost weapon work? Your quarry damage becomes radiant.
I've run the numbers on:

losing: Nimble Blade, Weapon Proficiency (Rapier), Lethal Hunter, Swift Blade Style

and

gaining: Armor Proficiency (Chain), Armor Proficiency (Scale), Weapon Proficiency (Bastard Sword), Prime Hunter

The result is a net rise to 183.32 

The reason for this is I can lower my dexterity to 18 and raise my wisdom to 20 resulting in slightly more radiant damage from Pelor's boon and increased weapon damage.

Ack - I've also realised that I've misread Rending Tempest and it only does a measly 0.71 damage.

This reduces the total to 178.91 
Would using Radiant Hunter and two frost weapon work? Your quarry damage becomes radiant.

Kind of - but then the power wouldn't have the radiant keyword and we wouldn't set up radiant vulnerability for the next round.
Sign In to post comments