Long-awaited clarifications coming tomorrow

112 posts / 0 new
Last post
From Greg Bilsland's twitter: "rules update coming out tomorrow with CB/Compendium update. Only a few items, but they represent long-awaited clarifications."

If they're long awaited, it probably isn't addressing Barbarian AC post-PrP, and if it's clarifications rather than changes, it probably isn't addressing orb wizards, but I have some high hopes for this one.  Actually settling some of the issues that come up again and again for weapon/implements, staves, and keywords would be nice (though some of those things have fairly clear RAW already, a clarification would be nice).  Rules for vertical teleports or teleports off cliffs would be nice too.  Maybe they'll even put in a definition for what counts as using a power or what counts as a damage roll

Nothing really to do but speculate until tomorrow, but I'm looking forward to it.
Maybe they'll even put in a definition for what counts as using a power or what counts as a damage roll

I would be ecstatic if they defined damage roll. What the issue with what counts as using a power? Haven't heard of that before.
He added "Let's just say it address [sic] a couple things from chapter 9 of the PH." So probably not the implement/staff/keyword trainwreck.
Maybe they'll even put in a definition for what counts as using a power or what counts as a damage roll

I would be ecstatic if they defined damage roll. What the issue with what counts as using a power? Haven't heard of that before.

Mostly whether sustaining a power or taking an action granted by a power (like a summon's attack) counts as using the power; there are some things (wildshape, some monster abilities) that stop you from using certain power types.
...and there are other things (feats and the like) that trigger on using certain powers.  I believe that it was established once upon a time that "use" inherently involves "spend an action on" but that's a necessary, not a sufficient.

There are also some fairly significant questions about what exactly "use a healing power on" entails - particularly with all of the healing-keyword powers out there that target an enemy for damage and then heal an ally without targeting them, and all of the healign items that give extra healing to people you've used healing powers on.
My speculation (or wishlist):
- Clarifying the confusion of power description where it says "on your next attack" and people are not sure if it applies to all attacks of multi-attack powers (they are going to say it only applies to the first)
- the 3rd dimension of walls (headache, no guess here)
- penalties: Save ends penalties never stack (BOOHOO!) unlike other penalties
- dominated: clarifying what other actions can be chosen besides at-will powers (like dropping a weapon, moving)
- damage types: officially clarifying that items, effects or powers that have a certain damage type augment the power they are being used on by adding the keyword
- charging: describing the movement requirements in more detail (what means "move directly") and addressing reach weapons on charge attacks.
- Clarifying free actions after a charge (they are going to be officially allowed)

I second this thought.

- Clarifying free actions after a charge (they are going to be officially allowed)

A general clarification on free action timing would be nice, too.  I've seen a lot of arguments over whether free actions in general can interrupt.
I would like to see better clarification on when forced movement into an area or zone that has an effect and/or damage aplies vs. voluntary entry into that area.  The current clarifications are a bit of a mish mash case by case basis that sometimes makes little sense.
My guess:
- Forced movement in three-dimensional combats (i.e., flying or swimming creatures)
- Forced teleportation to mid-air

I wouldn't be surprised to see offensive vertical teleportation nixed. Some better 3d forced movement rules would be nice, too.
I reckon charging 'directly' and static mods to damage rolls with no attack roll. Probably the oldest things to clarify
What needs addressing:

• Free Actions & Charging

• Charing 'directly'

• Teleports (cliffs, vertical, etc.)

• 'Damage Rolls'

• Attack vs. Attack Power

• Only enemies can trigger Opportunity Actions (doesn't so much need clarifying as restating because a lot of people tend to forget this...)

I didn't spot anything else in Ch. 9 that needed clarification.
I'm going to optimistically and wishfully hope they are going to clarify damage rolls. Way too much pain and suffering is caused when they say, "Takes 1d6 when X happens" instead of "Takes 4 damage when X happens".

Though whatever they say will probably destroy Hellish Rebuke/Dire Radiance warlock builds.  
What needs addressing:
  • Only enemies can trigger Opportunity Actions (doesn't so much need clarifying as restating because a lot of people tend to forget this...)

We actually know that this isn't true.  There are too many counter examples, opportunity actions that trigger off of someone starting their turn or failing a saving throw.  It could be that only 'enemy actions' can trigger Opportunity actions, but events and effects can trigger them too.  

The quote on page 269 that I'm guessing you're referencing also instructs readers to refer back to page 268 for the actual rules.

Clearly clarification is needed. 
I did indeed mean the rule on p 269. And I realize things like Polearm Gamble grant exceptions. But what I'm referring to is people mistaking Agile Opportunist for allowing allies to slide you around for free attacks. Clarification or repetition of the rule on page 269 would be nice (though repetition is unlikely to occur).
Actually, IIRC they errata'd Agile Opportunist to be an immediate action, so it clearly does now work off of allies.  That said, it leads me to believe that their intent is for you to be able to take Opportunity Actions on anyone else's turn (as it actually says), but straight up Opportunity Attacks (i.e. the ones specifically listed for provoking in the PHB like moving out of a threatened square or making a ranged attack) only can be provoked by enemies.
A note to all who think I am being aggressive or angry- 99% of the time, I do not intend to be. I apologize if you think I am attacking you, odds are very strong that I am not. The only exceptions are when people become extremely uncivil to me, and even then I usually ignore them. I think it is very obvious when I am really mad; if I just seem generally abrasive, it is a reflection of my thought process rather than a state of emotion. I have the greatest respect for those who can debate rationally, even if we come to different conclusions. I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
My wish-list for clarification...

- Clarifying damage roll bonuses is number one (and whether it applies to summons, ally-granted BA's (ex. lvl 25 bard daily Frenzied Rhythm), etc.)
- Dominated -- can you force a dominated foe to jump off tall cliff to certain death, no save?
- Vertical teleports (permit save or disallow?), horizontal teleports (off cliffs for example)
- Typing stat modifier bonuses to prevent stacking (more a pet peeve, but I hate builds that rely on 2 or 3 times a single stat modifier from various sources for high DPR... didn't need to nerf Fleeting Dweomer to a daily, just tying it to artificer secondary stat modifier would have sufficed IMO)
- Stacking feat bonuses (ex. cunning ambusher/lingering wrath, prime punisher/called shot, etc.)
- Damage types add typed keyword to powers
- Whether to allow free actions (Eladrin Swordmage Advance for example) after a charge, or to split other actions
- Do magic weapon properties(/powers) apply to implement-based attacks for 'weapliments'
I want a blanket clarification/rule change that says properties of a weapon/implement only apply to attacks with that weapon.
I want a blanket clarification/rule change that says properties of a weapon/implement only apply to attacks with that weapon.

Maybe, just maybe, we will finally get a Weapon/Implement/Powers clarification. One that actually solves things and doesn't just muddy the waters even further.
And of course there's the ever-standing Staff vs Quarterstaff, among others. Like Frost weapons...
Show

You are Red/Blue!

You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what you create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.

D&D Home Page - What Monster Are You? - D&D Compendium

57047238 wrote:
If you're crossing the street and see a city bus barreling straight toward you with 'GIVE ME YOUR WALLET!' painted across its windshield, you probably won't be reaching for your wallet.
I Don't Always Play Strikers...But When I Do, I Prefer Vampire Stay Thirsty, My Friends
This is what I believe is the spirit of D&D 4E, and my deal breaker for D&D Next: equal opportunities, with distinct specializations, in areas where conflict happens the most often, without having to worry about heavy micromanagement or system mastery. What I hope to be my most useful contributions to the D&D Community: DM Idea: Collaborative Mapping, Classless 4E (homebrew system, that hopefully helps in D&D Next development), Gamma World 7E random character generator (by yours truly), and the Concept of Perfect Imbalance (for D&D Next and other TRPGs in development) Pre-3E D&D should be recognized for what they were: simulation wargames where people could tell stories with The Best Answer to "Why 4E?" Fun vs. Engaging
Forced movement / damage roll questions can be pretty much summed up by the Blood Mage paragon path from the PHB.  When a character uses bolstering blood on themselves, hits an enemy with blood pulse, and then pushes them 4 squares with a thunder wave, how much damage do they take?  This is a question that's been around since the PHB has been published and has only gotten conflicting customer service answers.  Errata and/or clarification on this are pretty sorely needed.
Any idea when these updates will be posted?  Does DDI have a specific update time or do they post whenever they finish wrapping things up at the last minute?
What needs addressing:

• Free Actions & Charging

• Charing 'directly'

• Teleports (cliffs, vertical, etc.)

• 'Damage Rolls'

These are a few of my favorite things.

(and also, weapliments)
These are a few of my favorite things.

Also an ailment to dog bites and bee stings.
The january updates are now up!
Dominated (creatures can take no actions on their own, Dominating creature chooses one action for the dominated creature to take each turn)
Teleporting (into the air grants a save.  On save, teleportation negated.)
and a couple of clarifications about vulnerability and resistances that, to the best of my knowledge, don't actually change anything.

"Nice assumptions. Completely wrong assumptions, but by jove if being incorrect stopped people from making idiotic statements, we wouldn't have modern internet subculture." Kerrus
Practical gameplay runs by neither RAW or RAI, but rather "A Compromise Between The Gist Of The Rule As I Recall Getting The Impression Of It That One Time I Read It And What Jerry Says He Remembers, Whatever, We'll Look It Up Later If Any Of Us Still Give A Damn." Erachima

They said it would be tiny, well, it was. 
Let the lamentations commence.  I guess we have until March 2 to make our voices heard. ; )
Alas it still does not say whether or not verticle teleportation is allowed. 
Yay!  Forced teleportation clarified(fixed).  That was about it, haha.
A note to all who think I am being aggressive or angry- 99% of the time, I do not intend to be. I apologize if you think I am attacking you, odds are very strong that I am not. The only exceptions are when people become extremely uncivil to me, and even then I usually ignore them. I think it is very obvious when I am really mad; if I just seem generally abrasive, it is a reflection of my thought process rather than a state of emotion. I have the greatest respect for those who can debate rationally, even if we come to different conclusions. I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.

Looks like the answer is yes, but if they would fall, they get a chance to cancel it. Sounds good to me.

It has to disallow it if it is not allowed. You can target squares in the air just fine--or do you think that archer up on that wall is untargetable?
Looks like the teleport issue has been resolved once and for all.  Teleport to dangerous terrain or a fall?  Monster gets a saving throw, on a success teleport is negated.

Edit: Ninja'd!

Hm, come to think of it, they didn't actually address that, now did they? I suppose actual 3-d rules (as opposed to implied and assumed 3-d rules like we have now) would require much more errata. Ah well, one can always hope...
On a brighter topic.  Any idea when the new PHB3 Hybrid rules are gonna come out?  (Hoping they squeeze in Artificer... ; )
I would guess March when they release the PHB 3

I would assume that any class not presented in the book will be presented online in some format. 

To clarify, we don't say you can't teleport into midair, therefore you can.

This update was fairly small because these were PH3 clarifications that weren't originally in the update pipeline. You can look forward to a much more comprehensive update in March (in addition to PH3 clarifications). Weapons as implements and implement as weapons, for example, couldn't be included in this update due to the programming time constraints for the CB.

D&D Producer

Oh, my god thank you!  I reaaaally want to see the "weapliments" clarification.  Glad to hear it is very soon!
I am Blue/White
Link to the updates? Is it somewhere on the mainpage?

edit: aha!

www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/u...
If you look past the plot and the voice acting, Metroid: Other M was an okay game. Not a great game, but an adequate one. Not using the Metroid item collect jingle though? That, was a mistake.
To clarify, we don't say you can't teleport into midair, therefore you can.

Thank you, Greg. Does the "WOTC" in your name mean that this is official, including for LFR/RPGA games?

And since this is the quickest and most official answer I've ever gotten on this topic, would you mind clarifying (1) whether falling past someone triggers opportunity attacks, (2) whether a stinking cloud can be conjured one square above the ground, so that it affects large creatures but not medium creatures, and (3) whether the blood mage's Blood Pulse is intended to add a damage bonus from implements or from Bolstering Blood to the damage for every individual square the target leaves?