1/19/2010 LI: "Dependency Issues"

19 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's Limited Information, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.

One mana Ally ahoy!  For those bringing a soldier deck to a FNM, I could see this being the one-drop alongside Elite Vanguard.  Turn one freeblade, turn two Kazandu Blademaster, to state the obvious.  I wasn't a big fan of allys, but this might make them playable in white weenie.

So we actually get a one-drop ally.  It looks like W/B allies will be a very strong archetype in the new draft format.
My white weenie deck just got weenier.
+1 points for rules joke in the article title.
It is nice to see ally decks get a bit beefier. If they get a some type of search or draw they may just be a fun little agro deck. (maybe they already do)

Nice to see traps get some love too.

I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
i think they really messed up with allies in zendikar. if they were planning on making cards like this (and some other cheap allies that are in the set) why did they wait until worldwake? allies were basically unplayable in zendikar, because they were mostly costed too high and spread too far over every color. why not save some of the wackier ones for worldwake and put stuff like this in zendikar with the blademaster?
why not save some of the wackier ones for worldwake and put stuff like this in zendikar with the blademaster?

Probably some issues with limited?
When there's a pool of 24 packs for this guy to be in, chances are good someone's going to draft maybe eight or nine.  When there's only a pool of 16 packs this guy can appear in, there's going to be far less to go around.

Of course, it's likely much simpler than that.  I wouldn't be surprised if Zendikar development was already done, and then someone said, "Ummm... why didn't we make any cheap allies?"

Sweet Jesus, we got a 1 drop ally that isn't a changeling! Oh happy day!

MTG Rules Advisor
why not save some of the wackier ones for worldwake and put stuff like this in zendikar with the blademaster?

Probably some issues with limited?
When there's a pool of 24 packs for this guy to be in, chances are good someone's going to draft maybe eight or nine.  When there's only a pool of 16 packs this guy can appear in, there's going to be far less to go around.

Chances are never good that someone is going to get 8 or more of a certain uncommon.  With 24 packs, there is a 0.3% chance that there will be 8 or more of a certain common at the table.  And that is with perfect distribution.  With WotC's print runs I bet the chance of such an anomoly is much less.  And remember that is for a common, not an uncommon like Hada Freeblade (I did the math for a common before noticing its rarity, and dont want to do the math again).

Of course, it's likely much simpler than that.  I wouldn't be surprised if Zendikar development was already done, and then someone said, "Ummm... why didn't we make any cheap allies?"

I really doubt this is the case.  While WotC R&D does make mistakes, I am sure they understand that a constructed ally deck would have needed a good aggressive curve to be playable.  Considering that allies are already a good archetype in Zendikar limited though, they probably made tough decisions about how many allies to put in the first set.

Each color had 2 common, 1 uncommon, and 1 rare ally (black only had 1 common, and colorless had the puma).  So WotC perhaps had to decide between Hada Freeblade and Kazandu Blademaster for Zendikar's white uncommon slot.  Since Blademaster is clearly the more interesting, fun, and powerful card I think WotC made the right choice.

Chances are never good that someone is going to get 8 or more of a certain uncommon.  With 24 packs, there is a 0.3% chance that there will be 8 or more of a certain common at the table.  And that is with perfect distribution.  With WotC's print runs I bet the chance of such an anomoly is much less.  And remember that is for a common, not an uncommon like Hada Freeblade (I did the math for a common before noticing its rarity, and dont want to do the math again).

Well...  I certainly can't argue with that.
(I thought it was a common too, until I checked it again, just now.)

You don't need 8 of them to be bonkers...just 2 or 3 alongside a couple copies of another counter ally would be crazy. It's like a steppe lynx that can block...

Though I agree that the space issue is probably the biggest reason.

Check out my magic blog: http://magicthemusing.wordpress.com/
if there was a space issue they should have put in more allies in a certain color or cut some of the more expensive/rarer ones for cheaper more playable ones. a really great symmetrical distribution doesn't count for much if the theme plays badly.
i think they really messed up with allies in zendikar. if they were planning on making cards like this (and some other cheap allies that are in the set) why did they wait until worldwake? allies were basically unplayable in zendikar, because they were mostly costed too high and spread too far over every color. why not save some of the wackier ones for worldwake and put stuff like this in zendikar with the blademaster?

I would not go that far, I found them playable. And the reason for the colour stetch was to reprisent the fact that diffrent people from diffrent creeds come to geather, like a group of mercs. In flavour it's sound, but there were some problems.

Did you hear all the people clamoring for this? How often do they get to create demand for something very very specific and get to deliver it almost immediatly. They wanted allies to be alright but have a few important pieces missing. Giving us the pieces becomes that much sweeter.
i feel like it would have been better to skip that disgusted stage where many people realized allies were garbage. i don't think that's necessarily a good thing to have that.
Aand once again, the article forum link points to the wrong week's thread...
how's that deathmark in your hand doing? huh huh

oh wait they gave 5 new amazing cards for vamps QQ

how's that deathmark in your hand doing? huh huh

oh wait they gave 5 new amazing cards for vamps QQ

are you talking to me?