Greg's Alternate Standard

311 posts / 0 new
Last post

Welcome to Greg's Alternate Standard.

This will be a tournament that will get off the ground even if I have to disqualify everyone and declare a winner by random!

And remember, the winner of this tournament gets a fabulous prize of the likes that you see here: i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm284/fengai...

It's awesome!

-

Our Blocks, Chosen By You Guys!

Ravnica, Invasion, 9th Edition

-

WINNER!
LegendofLink (1)

ELIMINATED: royk, febbstalicious42, Greg_the_Egg, ForgottenMountains, Sisomic, Technozombiejesus, kedi, mal3diction, evilweevil666, Radio_Oasis, Halo_Lover, NivMizzet_theFiremind, KillerBirds, Theix, Bugferd,  Glux 
Umm, so I don't really frequent these forums any more, but I do blog for my website Greatplay.net.
I'll join.

9th-onslaught-ravnica, so many viable decks with viable, aggro, control etc etc etc.

9th-inv-rav.
But you were deceived.
ravnica - ravnica - ravnica 
Photobucket Team GFG - Glux's Fine Gents

In.  Lorwyn-Ravnica-10th.  I just named random sets.  I began in Shadowmoor so I can't really say that my vote counts.

Want to know how to keep a moron busy? Reread this sentence to find out!
In. Ravnica-9th-Lorwyn

Vary nice card pool, has some of the best cards in each. and what if decks would become broken? since possibly every ones will.

also i started near the start of Lowryn block thats why i want it
Started to write 2 articles a week on getting ready for GP Toronto were i will be talking about getting ready for sealed. The first one is up so go check it out on PMP post.
NOT in, because it annoys me.  But 4th Rav, Shards would be nutty.
NOT in, because it annoys me.  But 4th Rav, Shards would be nutty.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! Do not mention that. You will get this thread RFG'ed.

/In Rav/something/M10!
I'll join.

9th-onslaught-ravnica, so many viable decks with viable, aggro, control etc etc etc.

Fo' realz.  This one.
NO ONE EXPECTS THE QUAGSIRE INSURRECTION! My SUPER AWESOME GregtheEgg lightning bolt: http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm284/fengairen2/Scan.png pmppostchandraversion.png
I'm in. 
I'd enjoy whatever sets you guys come up with, but I do agree that Ravnica is a must. 
Photobucket
As good as avnika wRas, right now I'm REALLY tired of 3-color decks being practically required and so color intensive. not that it would be as much an issue with rav, but I'm feeling

kami-9th-tsp

also, IN like I finally can. Windows 7 trumps Vista like Chuck Norris crushes your skull.

edit: although, I think tarmogoyf might be a little too much above kami's curve, what a predicament.

Hey, whatever we decide on, does anyone want to help me learn the sets we use.  It took me 3-4 hours to sit and read every card in the Odyssey block and Kamigawa Block and I still had a round 1 loss.  So, if someone can help me use the sets that'll be great.

Also, I switch to TSP-M10-Ravnica

I'd love to see Goyf and BSA in the same Standard.  That'll be fun to see what happens.

ravnica is going to be chosen, so don't bother posting options without it.
lol, glux. . .

touching on halo's concerns, we could possibly set up double elimination or swiss instead of single elimination, so that people don't get a round one loss and then mope about until the next tournament starts.

also, it's possible we could post decklists and have discussions on the set's strengths, maybe hiding plans and exact lists would be acceptable, but sharing general skeletons of possible archetypes.
In, 9th ravnice odyssey Lets you play agro and control with the chance for some combo decks with graveyard shanaiganes.
And it's said that youth's ,well only tragedy Is being unoriginal
89522235 wrote:
niche's solution to everything is always MOAR BLACK! "ok, my legacy mono black control deck is getting hated out by light of day..." "MOAR BLACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
In, 9th ravnice odyssey Lets you play agro and control with the chance for some combo decks with graveyard shanaiganes.

This is a good one too.

Hey, whatever we decide on, does anyone want to help me learn the sets we use.  It took me 3-4 hours to sit and read every card in the Odyssey block and Kamigawa Block and I still had a round 1 loss.  So, if someone can help me use the sets that'll be great.

Also, I switch to TSP-M10-Ravnica

I'd love to see Goyf and BSA in the same Standard.  That'll be fun to see what happens.

I would help you know your way around some of the sets, if they're ones that I know well.
NO ONE EXPECTS THE QUAGSIRE INSURRECTION! My SUPER AWESOME GregtheEgg lightning bolt: http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm284/fengairen2/Scan.png pmppostchandraversion.png
I'm in. 
I'd enjoy whatever sets you guys come up with, but I do agree that Ravnica is a must. 

All of the above.
whatcolor_isred.jpg
In. Ravnica, Time Spiral, Judgement
OP updated!
Umm, so I don't really frequent these forums any more, but I do blog for my website Greatplay.net.
Ravnica - Odyssey.

It will be incredibly overpowered, but fun.

Oh, and M10 for the coreset. We need Pithing Needle in this format (or it's going to get absurdly stupid), so M10 and X are the only real options. 
A good aggro card is powerful, whilst a good control card is overpowered.
Ravnica Odyssey?

Great... Legacy Dredge... Heeee-yar is what a pirate says to that nonsense. Plus, a lot of hate is missing to stop that crap in those two blocks.

I'll pass, but I am curious to see what gets put together. 

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGNichecopy.png)

Fix your Forum Experience here: http://community.wizards.com/forum/new-site-feedback/threads/3925861

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4
Multiple 2013 IQ Top 4/8 Finishes
Designer of Top 8 States finishing MBC decks in 2011, 2010, and 2009 
Standard Forum - Iron Deck Builder Season One Champ

Favorite Quotes

"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance." - Laurence J. Peter 
"It is the province of knowledge to speak, and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen.” - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Ravnica Odyssey?

Great... Legacy Dredge... Heeee-yar is what a pirate says to that nonsense. Plus, a lot of hate is missing to stop that crap in those two blocks.

I'll pass, but I am curious to see what gets put together. 

dredges power really mostly comes from tsp, unless your talking about dredge-a-tog which isn't that busted.
But you were deceived.
It's still pretty strong... and you have Ichorid. You don't even need Bridges with Ichorid. Just smarsh.

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGNichecopy.png)

Fix your Forum Experience here: http://community.wizards.com/forum/new-site-feedback/threads/3925861

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4
Multiple 2013 IQ Top 4/8 Finishes
Designer of Top 8 States finishing MBC decks in 2011, 2010, and 2009 
Standard Forum - Iron Deck Builder Season One Champ

Favorite Quotes

"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance." - Laurence J. Peter 
"It is the province of knowledge to speak, and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen.” - Oliver Wendell Holmes

I'm changing to ravnica Odyssey M10 as opposed to ravnica Odyssey 9th pithing needle really is needed to keep the format in check.
89522235 wrote:
niche's solution to everything is always MOAR BLACK! "ok, my legacy mono black control deck is getting hated out by light of day..." "MOAR BLACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
I posted that I was in earlier, but I guess you missed me when you updated the OP.  
I'm all for Rav-something-M10, as long as the second block isn't anything broken like Urza block. 
Photobucket
Alpha + Beta + Unlimited/Revised(whichever came first).
Real men hold shift. If everyone has their fingers in the pie, then someone is eating fingers.

I think we're going to skip on Psychatog and Tarmogoyf.

I'd prefer you have to be at least a little bit imaginative when making a deck.

9th is clearly the best core set.  M10 is for noobs.

M10 is the only core set I know well enough to play with

EDIT:  Greg, I noticed that you only had one vote down for M10.  I went back and counted 5 votes, just thought I'd throw that out there.
Still deciding if I want in or not, however Rav-Invasion-7th.
I'm for 9th. 8th looks like fun too.

9th is overall a better set but we need pithing needle if we include odyssey to help curve graveyard and tog shananiganes. So we either use M10 or we use kamigawa but then kamigawa odyssey just screams abuse me with gifts.
89522235 wrote:

9th is overall a better set but we need pithing needle if we include odyssey to help curve graveyard and tog shananiganes. So we either use M10 or we use kamigawa but then kamigawa odyssey just screams abuse me with gifts.

Well I don't particularly want odyssey.  My vote is with Rav/Onslaught/9th.

Well I don't particularly want odyssey.  My vote is with Rav/Onslaught/9th.

I'm personally against this. I know why you want it, you play Extended. But it will just be full of decks that used to be played in Extended with a few minor tweaks. I'm not interested in revisiting that.

M10 and Rav provide a good mana-base that isn't entirely broken. (Be able to search for an Island with Verdant Catacomb or something just seems wrong.)

Neither Onslaught or Odyssey seem like good block choices.

Is there anything else you guys would like to see, or does it have to be one of those two?

(Kamigawa is out because it's boring -- everyone plays Gifts.)

-

Some options in my opinion:

* Time spiral, with Tarmogoyf possibly banned

* Lorowyn/Shadowmoor, with possible anti-Faeries bannings

* Mirrodin, with affinity bannings

* Invasion

* Three individual sets -- one big, two small -- from different blocks

-

My personal coreset opinions would be either 9th or M10.

Go with M10.  I'll actually know the cards.Cool
Fo' realz though, gifts won't be that good.  I'd be up for kamigawa, except for you can't do kami and rav, since they were in standard together.
Go with M10.  I'll actually know the cards.

Legit, I will teach you the art of 9th.  Plus core sets are small, you can just gatherer that up or whateva.

I think I'd rather use 9th than M10 expressly because I don't know the cards.

That's what makes it fun.

That, and Mana Leak / Rewind.

Fo' realz though, gifts won't be that good.  I'd be up for kamigawa, except for you can't do kami and rav, since they were in standard together.

that's why I suggested kami/tsp. and we could totally experiment with what ravnica standard would be like without ravnica.

please please pleas 8th or 9th? I really miss playing phyrexian arena.

I don't think there's any need to ban anything that wizards never banned.

9th/rav/invasion would be the sickness
9th/rav/invasion would be the sickness

Yeah, if you guys don't want onslaught, then this is my second choice.  Followed by what niv said.