1/13/2010 BoaB: "Hive Mind"

35 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's Building on a Budget, which goes live Wednesday morning on magicthegathering.com.

Thank you Jacob for a budget deck that feels budget - and it looks fun to boot! I'm not sure about the Shivan Reefs though; there must be something less painful, even if it's a turn slower.
Article:..."Chalice of the Void for zero is game over if we don't play a card like this".

How exactly does this interaction work?

Q1: Does the Chalice trigger off of the hive mind copies, or do they not count as played?
Q2: If not, and if the Hive Mind ability resolves when the spell to be copied is already countered, does it fizzle?
Q3: If it fizzles, can you get around this by casting the pact on your opponent's turn instead of your own (your copy is countered so you don't have to pay, his isn't so he does on his next upkeep).
Article:..."Chalice of the Void for zero is game over if we don't play a card like this".

Q1: Does the Chalice trigger off of the hive mind copies, or do they not count as played?
Q2: If not, and if the Hive Mind ability resolves when the spell to be copied is already countered, does it fizzle?
Q3: If it fizzles, can you get around this by casting the pact on your opponent's turn instead of your own (your copy is countered so you don't have to pay, his isn't so he does on his next upkeep).

The Pacts cost 0.

The Pacts cost 0.

Which means your spells get countered.  I was asking about the copies. 
My friend won a 3 player game with something like this around turn 4 or 5, pretty much out of nowhere. It was great. I would make this deck, but the Negations are pretty pricy. They're pretty important, too; free combo protection that doubles as a win condition seems like something you shouldn't leave out.
Contest Winners
Random Words
Round 1: Maraxas-of-Keld, Cryos_Icy_Manipulator Round 2: Dr_Demento, UltraMaximum Round 3: Dr_Demento, Keino Round 4: KunouNoHana Round 5: Maraxas-of-Keld, Stigma_Lasher Round 6: royinator Round 7: forty2j Round 8: Qazior Round 9: Qazior Round 10: Could be you link
Split Cards
Winner: dberry02
Pac-Man
Round 1: Fallingman
Worldprism
Quotes
57051078 wrote:
I just love how focused the YMtC community is.
56901828 wrote:
That's what I love about posting on these forums. Everyone's an expert(except for me).
57031358 wrote:
really no need to be so bitchy.
58021268 wrote:
@Edacade: Awright kid you go on ahead and do your thing and don't let anyone tell you different y'hear
58335208 wrote:
City of Asymmetrical Beings Land :T:, sacrifice a creature: Destroy target creature with the same converted mana cost as the sacrificed creature.
56957928 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
Might I just interject that making this a meme is the worst idea in magic in my opinion. It is too overpowered. It encourages cheating it in play. Essentially 99/100 times it is cheated in play instead of hardcast. Not only that, but you essentially win when it comes into play.
74943291 wrote:
82512575 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
Make five-color hybrid tribal instant with buyback, kicker, cycling, card draw, token production, a steal effect, alternate casting cost and landfall that embodies the love that your mom and I share.
I think you just killed all chances of my card being elegant. Ardency :1mana::symwu::symbr: Tribal Instant - Soldier You may have target opponent gain control of 3 permanents you control rather than pay ~'s mana cost. As an additional cost to cast ~, choose two creatures you control, and sacrifice the rest. If you control a soldier, you can't sacrifice permanents this turn. Landfall - If you had a land enter the battlefield under your control this turn, instead choose 4 creatures. Kicker You get an emblem with "As long as you control both chosen creatures, they have protection from everything." If ~ was kicked, creatures you control get +1/+1 for each creature card in your graveyard until end of turn. Cycling :2mana: When you cycle ~, put two 2/2 Soldier creatures onto the battlefield. Would this EVER fit on a card?~
Aside from a few wording mishaps (should say "each chosen creature" because it's not necessarily two) this is nice. Very simple and elegant. I like the alternate cost a lot, and the kicker goes nicely with the sacrifice. However, the cycling seems a bit powerful (4 power and a card for 3? Cycling is supposed be bad. 8/10 EDIT: Just looked up "ardency". Lol.
58347268 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
58325628 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
I'm immortalized too as long as no one deletes this post!
But in the shadow of the great one lurked many who sought to partake of his eternal glory.
Since when am I "many"?
You're a whole damn city.
74943291 wrote:
83237429 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
83237429 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
Ahem.
58021268 wrote:
Vivisect Sorcery As an additional cost to cast Vivisect, sacrifice a creature. Draw three cards. "For the sake of humanity," the surgeon whispered. The knife had never felt heavier in his hand.
I don't think a world that sacrifices so much would want to stop the making of children .
Vivisect =/= vasectomy
Now I just feel silly.
56287226 wrote:
I read over two hundred webcomics on a regular basis. "Terrible" doesn't even begin to describe me.
70246459 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
I think that this is the first wizards-community thread that actually made me laugh out loud. Maraxas, I love you.
IMAGE(http://www.free-smiley-faces.de/free-animated-smileys_Smileys-animiert-kostenlos/free-animated-smiley-love_smiley-herz-animiert-kostenlos_250x250.gif)
58347268 wrote:
batman is a jerk in all of my dreams
mafia is fun so play it

The Pacts cost 0.

Yeah, Jacob hasn't thought it through. Chalice is not a problem.

The Pacts cost 0.

The copies were not cast, they were put on to the stack. Chalice only counters spells that were cast. I'm no judge, but almost positive that your opponent's copies resolve.
Contest Winners
Random Words
Round 1: Maraxas-of-Keld, Cryos_Icy_Manipulator Round 2: Dr_Demento, UltraMaximum Round 3: Dr_Demento, Keino Round 4: KunouNoHana Round 5: Maraxas-of-Keld, Stigma_Lasher Round 6: royinator Round 7: forty2j Round 8: Qazior Round 9: Qazior Round 10: Could be you link
Split Cards
Pac-Man
Worldprism
Quotes
57051078 wrote:
56901828 wrote:
That's what I love about posting on these forums. Everyone's an expert(except for me).
57031358 wrote:
58021268 wrote:
@Edacade: Awright kid you go on ahead and do your thing and don't let anyone tell you different y'hear
58335208 wrote:
City of Asymmetrical Beings Land :T:, sacrifice a creature: Destroy target creature with the same converted mana cost as the sacrificed creature.
56957928 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
Might I just interject that making this a meme is the worst idea in magic in my opinion. It is too overpowered. It encourages cheating it in play. Essentially 99/100 times it is cheated in play instead of hardcast. Not only that, but you essentially win when it comes into play.
74943291 wrote:
82512575 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
Make five-color hybrid tribal instant with buyback, kicker, cycling, card draw, token production, a steal effect, alternate casting cost and landfall that embodies the love that your mom and I share.
I think you just killed all chances of my card being elegant. Ardency :1mana::symwu::symbr: Tribal Instant - Soldier You may have target opponent gain control of 3 permanents you control rather than pay ~'s mana cost. As an additional cost to cast ~, choose two creatures you control, and sacrifice the rest. If you control a soldier, you can't sacrifice permanents this turn. Landfall - If you had a land enter the battlefield under your control this turn, instead choose 4 creatures. Kicker You get an emblem with "As long as you control both chosen creatures, they have protection from everything." If ~ was kicked, creatures you control get +1/+1 for each creature card in your graveyard until end of turn. Cycling :2mana: When you cycle ~, put two 2/2 Soldier creatures onto the battlefield. Would this EVER fit on a card?~
Aside from a few wording mishaps (should say "each chosen creature" because it's not necessarily two) this is nice. Very simple and elegant. I like the alternate cost a lot, and the kicker goes nicely with the sacrifice. However, the cycling seems a bit powerful (4 power and a card for 3? Cycling is supposed be bad. 8/10 EDIT: Just looked up "ardency". Lol.
58347268 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
58325628 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
But in the shadow of the great one lurked many who sought to partake of his eternal glory.
Since when am I "many"?
74943291 wrote:
83237429 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
83237429 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
Ahem.
58021268 wrote:
Vivisect Sorcery As an additional cost to cast Vivisect, sacrifice a creature. Draw three cards. "For the sake of humanity," the surgeon whispered. The knife had never felt heavier in his hand.
I don't think a world that sacrifices so much would want to stop the making of children .
Vivisect =/= vasectomy
Now I just feel silly.
56287226 wrote:
I read over two hundred webcomics on a regular basis. "Terrible" doesn't even begin to describe me.
70246459 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
I think that this is the first wizards-community thread that actually made me laugh out loud. Maraxas, I love you.
IMAGE(http://www.free-smiley-faces.de/free-animated-smileys_Smileys-animiert-kostenlos/free-animated-smiley-love_smiley-herz-animiert-kostenlos_250x250.gif)
58347268 wrote:
mafia is fun so play it
"The copies that Hive Mind's ability creates are created on the stack, so they're not "cast." Abilities that trigger when a player casts a spell (like Hive Mind's ability itself) won't trigger."

- from the rulings on hive mind in gatherer
Well, three people said it works, so it must work. Don't tell the Chalice players though.
Contest Winners
Random Words
Split Cards
Pac-Man
Worldprism
Quotes
57051078 wrote:
56901828 wrote:
57031358 wrote:
58021268 wrote:
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
82512575 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
58325628 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
Since when am I "many"?
74943291 wrote:
83237429 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
83237429 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
Ahem.
58021268 wrote:
Vivisect =/= vasectomy
Now I just feel silly.
56287226 wrote:
70246459 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
mafia is fun so play it
I've always been intrigued by Hive Mind and have been figuring how to build a deck around it. Although this seems to be the most effective way to abuse Hive Mind, my own Johnny-Timmy instincts tells me that I won't enjoy it because personally I think winning in such a fashion is not an exciting path to victory.

Hive Mind looks like a flashy card and I would like to see my Hive Mind do something even more spectacular, and flashy! Something I've envisioned is a deck revolving around having Hive Mind fork a global spell that would be more advantageous to me than to my opponent. Something like Warp World! I would imagine the rest of the decks to be enchantments and creatures that my opponents can't copy, or other spells that would be useless for them.

I don't think it's the best idea for Hive Mind, but it does fit my need for a spectacular flashy combo. Does anybody else have other ideas for Hive Mind?
I've always been intrigued by Hive Mind and have been figuring how to build a deck around it. Although this seems to be the most effective way to abuse Hive Mind, my own Johnny-Timmy instincts tells me that I won't enjoy it because personally I think winning in such a fashion is not an exciting path to victory.

Hive Mind looks like a flashy card and I would like to see my Hive Mind do something even more spectacular, and flashy! Something I've envisioned is a deck revolving around having Hive Mind fork a global spell that would be more advantageous to me than to my opponent. Something like Warp World! I would imagine the rest of the decks to be enchantments and creatures that my opponents can't copy, or other spells that would be useless for them.

I don't think it's the best idea for Hive Mind, but it does fit my need for a spectacular flashy combo. Does anybody else have other ideas for Hive Mind?

Hive Minding a Warp World into Hive Minds seems pretty silly, especially with Eternal Witness or something. Reckless Spite seems okay, because your creatures are black so they can't kill them, and they take 5. You could also use a mask or true believer to give yourself shroud, so you play a Lava Spike or something and they have to hit themself with their copy. Creature removal in a creatureless deck works the same way. Earthquake with Stuffy Doll is good too, but there you might as well play Pariah.
Contest Winners
Random Words
Split Cards
Pac-Man
Worldprism
Quotes
57051078 wrote:
56901828 wrote:
57031358 wrote:
58021268 wrote:
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
82512575 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
58325628 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
Since when am I "many"?
74943291 wrote:
83237429 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
83237429 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
Ahem.
58021268 wrote:
Vivisect =/= vasectomy
Now I just feel silly.
56287226 wrote:
70246459 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
mafia is fun so play it
I think this deck would be better with other transmute cards besides Tolaria West.
A friend of mine was built a noncompetetive version of this deck (which included Eye of the Storm) almost as soon as M10 was released; he included Twincast.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

Seeing as Hive Mind is an enchantment, I figure a good card might be Enduring Ideal. A card that can ruin the game for them, and easily set up a win for you (if they don't concede right there).
Hey diddle diddle, the cat and the fiddle, the cow jumped over the moon. The little dog laughed to see such sport, And the Dish ran away with the Spoon. He ran from conviction, and fed his addiction as the Dish heated the Spoon... The Spoon begged to go, but the Dish shouted : "NO!!" "The heroin will be ready soon!" "Any time doing the right thing is funny as hell, it's probably Chaotic Good." IMAGE(http://i46.tinypic.com/2jcu9fs.png)
Seeing as Hive Mind is an enchantment, I figure a good card might be Enduring Ideal. A card that can ruin the game for them, and easily set up a win for you (if they don't concede right there).

I don't think that would work considering that Enduring Ideal has Epic (for the rest of the game, you can't cast spells etc)
A friend of mine was built a noncompetetive version of this deck (which included Eye of the Storm) almost as soon as M10 was released; he included Twincast.

Thats my problem with the posting today - if you're an active reader or contribute to any forums you saw most of this decklist as soon as the spoiler for Hive Mind came out. But I suppose there's a lot of people that aren't, so I can't knock it to much for that. It is still a good idea and presented well.
Comics Magic #$%! - a sfw blog (at least, there's no nudity!) The blazekite is a simple concept, really - just a vehicular application of dragscoop ionics and electropropulsion magnetronics. Idiot.
How about using Gigadrowse to protect your combo? If by any chance they have the mana to pay for the pacts after you cast them, just tap them out with Gigadrowse before you end your turn.
only problem about this deck is that if your opponent can pay red mana for the Pact, you're kinda screwed
First off:  Didn't someone else already write about this deck?

Secondly:  The idea is to go "off" on turn 4 (or earlier) thus making it very difficult for your opponent to have 5 mana in play during their next upkeep.  I like the other pacts better, personally.

Finally:

I cannot WAIT to make this deck for my Multiplayer table.  Since the Hive copies for each player, then everyone around the table had better find a way to pay for the upkeep costs or its "I win." 

"This is why you burn your opponent while they're tapped out on your own turn instead of waiting for something fancy."

Harsh, man.  But true.

I like the deck. Not because it's new for me but because it's not expensive ($$) and wins in Extendend enviroment, besides using a neat combo. Way to go Jacob!
OMG click HERE! OMG! How to autocard and use decklist format
--->
For autocarding, write [c][/c] with the name of the card inside it. [c]Island[/c] = Island For linking a card to Gatherer without writting the name of said card for readers, use the autocard brackets together with and equal sign and right the name of the real card. Then put the message you want inside the tags, like you would do with autocarding. Like this: [c=Curse of the Cabal]Captain Never-resolves[/c] = Captain Never-resolves For using the decklist format, follow this: [deck] 4* Terramorphic Expanse 4* Evolving Wilds ... [/deck] It equals:
Real signature, Sblocked for space:
57817638 wrote:
I like storm crow because I really like crows in real life, as an animal, and the card isn't terribly stupid, but packs a good deal of nostalgia and also a chunck of the game's history. So it's perhaps one of the cards I have most affection to, but not because "lol storm crow is bad hurr hurr durr".
Listen to my SoundCloud while you read my signature. The Island, Come And See, The Landlord's Daughter, You'll Not Feel The Drowning - The Decemberists by vimschy IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/rkvR.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/L3es.gif) IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/m71H.gif)
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
Although I do assume you deliberately refer to them (DCI) as The Grand Imperial Convocation of Evil just for the purposes of making them sound like an ancient and terrible conspiracy.
Now, now. 1994 doesn't quite qualify as "ancient".
56734518 wrote:
Oh, it's a brilliant plan. You see, Bolas was travelling through shadowmoor, causing trouble, when he saw a Wickerbough Elder with its stylin' dead scarecrow hat. Now, Bolas being Bolas took the awesome hat and he put it on his head, but even with all his titanic powers of magic he couldn't make it fit. He grabbed some more scarecrows, but then a little kithkin girl asked if he was trying to build a toupee. "BY ALL THE POWERS IN THE MULTIVERSE!" he roared, "I WILL HAVE A HAT WORTHY OF MY GLORY." and so he went through his Dark Lore of Doom (tm) looking for something he could make into a hat that would look as stylish on him as a scarecrow does on a treefolk. He thought about the Phyrexians, but they were covered in goopy oil that would make his nonexistant hair greasy. He Tried out angels for a while but they didn't sit quite right. Then, he looked under "e" (because in the Elder Draconic alphabet, "e" for Eldrazi is right next to "h" for Hat) in his Dark Lore of Doom and saw depictions of the Eldrazi, and all their forms. "THIS SHALL BE MY HAT!" he declared, poking a picture of Emrakul, "AND WITH IT I WILL USHER IN A NEW AGE OF DARKNESS -- ER, I MEAN A NEW AGE OF FASHION!" And so Nicol Bolas masterminded the release of the Eldrazi.
57864098 wrote:
Rhox War Monk just flips pancakes, and if games have told us anything, it's that food = life.
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
This thread has gotten creepy. XP
Really? Really? The last couple days have been roughly every perverse fetish imaginable, but it only got "creepy" when speculation on Mother of Runes's mob affiliation came up?
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
Nice mana base. Not really.
Yeah, really. If my deck was going to cost $1000+, I'd at least make it good.
99812049 wrote:
I like to think up what I consider clever names for my decks, only later to be laughed at by my wife. It kills me a little on the inside, but thats what marriage is about.
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
Of course, the best use [of tolaria west] is transmuting for the real Tolaria. ;)
Absolutely. I used to loose to my buddy's Banding deck for ages, it was then that I found out about Tolaria, and I was finally able win my first game.
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
You know, being shallow and jusdgmental aside, "I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
"I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
The only way I'd cast this card is into a bonfire.
82032421 wrote:
The short answer is that there's no rule barring annoying people from posting, but there a rule barring us from harassing them about it.
56747598 wrote:
Browbeat is a card that is an appropriate deck choice when there's no better idea available. "No better idea available" was pretty much the running theme of Odyssey era.
56874518 wrote:
Or perhaps it was a more straightforward comment indicating a wish for you to be bitten (Perhaps repeatedly) by a small yet highly venomous arachnid.
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
You're an idiot, and I'm in no mood for silliness.
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
That's the answer to everything.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
I think the problem is that you don't exist.
This would sound great out of context!
56965458 wrote:
Modern is like playing a new tournament every time : you build a deck, you win with it, don't bother keeping it. Just build another, its key pieces will get banned.
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
I specifically remember posting a thread when I was just a witty bitty noob.
You make it sound like that's still not the case.
58325628 wrote:
Rap is what happens when the c from crap is taken away.
Doug Beyer:
But sometimes it's also challenging. Because sometimes OH MY GOD, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS THING?
141434757 wrote:
Flashforward five thousand years (Click for atmosphere) :
57927608 wrote:
to paraphrase Jeff Goldblum, Vektor finds a way.
58347268 wrote:
when in rome **** AND PILLAGE
143229641 wrote:
I always find it helpful when im angry to dress up in an owl costume and rub pennies all over my body in front of a full body mirror next to the window.
Dymecoar:
Playing Magic without Blue is like sleeping without any sheets or blankets. You can do it...but why?
Omega137:
Me: "I love the moment when a control deck stabilizes. It feels so... right." Omega137: "I like the life drop part until you get there, it's the MtG variant of bungee jumping"
Zigeif777:
Just do it like Yu-Gi-Oh or monkeys: throw all the crap you got at them and hope it works or else the by-standers (or opponents) just get dirty and pissed.
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
It's true that Alpha and Beta didn't contain any cards like Tarmogoyf, Darksteel Colossus, or Platinum Angel. It just contained weak, insignificant cards like Black Lotus, Mox Sapphire, and Time Walk.
Normally it's difficult to pick up on your jokes/sarcasm. But this one's pretty much out there. Good progress. You have moved up to Humanoid. You'll be Human in no time.
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
I didn't know Samurai were known to be able to cut down whole armies...
They can when they're using lightsabers!
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
My wife brought home a baby black squirrel they found on a horse track and cared for it for a few days. We named it Grixis, but it died.
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
[/spoiler] And I'm on Magic Arcana. How about you? Oh, by the way, I'm also on From the Lab now. Twice, actually. And now with my own submited decklist!
Most definitely Chalice of the Void is not a problem combo-wise. A problem occurs however, when you try to protect your Hive Mind with Pact of Negation. Besides, Repeal is such a versatile card, that I would leave it in regardless.

Does anybody else have other ideas for Hive Mind?

I always envisioned a deck with repeatable, ability-based counterspells (like Disruptive Student), Hive Mind and some self-inflicting wound spells. It works like this: you have Hive Mind in play, cast One with Nothing. After everybody got their copy, you counter yours with Disruptive Student. Then you can try the same with other fun cards like Ashes to Ashes, Doomsday, Infernal Contract, Breakthrough for 0 or other happy stuff.

How about using Gigadrowse to protect your combo? If by any chance they have the mana to pay for the pacts after you cast them, just tap them out with Gigadrowse before you end your turn.

This actually never came up, so I don't see why it should be there. The combo goes off so early, that none of the opponents had 5 mana on the ready (and we should mention that it also requires one red mana). If you ain't casting this on turn four or five, it's probably because you've already lost, so I don't see Gigadrowse helping here.
Manaug.gif | Manawu.gif | Manau.gif | Manaub.gif | Manaur.gif

Q1: The copies are not cast, so Chalice of the Void does not trigger for them.

Q2: No, it doesn’t fizzle. It is true that if you cast the Pact on your turn, it will be countered by the Chalice before Hive Mind tries to copy it, but the copies will still be created. When it resolves, Hive Mind’s ability is unable to find the Pact on the stack, but then it just uses last known information about the Pact (how it looked like when it last was on the stack). “Fizzling” only happens when targets are chosen for a spell or ability, and then all of those targets become illegal with the spell or ability on the stack. There is no targeting involved here.

Q3 is therefore somewhat moot, although yes, casting the Pact on your opponent’s turn would work the way you describe.

So basically, Jacob's fear of Chalice is completely unwarranted. The only thing Chalice for 0 would achieve is prevent you from protecting the combo with Pact of Negation.

You cannot use Gigadrowse to prevent someone from paying for a Pact on their upkeep. The steps of the beginning phase are, in order, untap, upkeep and draw, and no one can cast spells during the untap step. If you cast Gigadrowse during your turn, your opponent will untap his permanents before having to pay for the Pact at the beginning of his upkeep, and the first time you can cast Gigadrowse during his turn is on his upkeep with the Pact trigger on the stack, which means he can just tap his lands for mana in response to Gigadrowse and float that mana for when he has to pay for the Pact.

Magic The Gathering DCI Lvl 1 Judge Don't hesitate to post rules question in the Rules Q&A forum for me and other competent advisors to answer : http://community.wizards.com/go/forum/view/75842/134778/Rules_Q38A
As mentioned, chalice for 0 does nothing against you.  An early chalice for 1 is worse as it turns off a lot of your spells, but repeal doesn't help here.
This actually seems like a fun deck to play and uses two cards I've always wanted to stick in a deck: Hive Mind and Pact of Negation.

I would only make a couple of changes (forgive me if these cards are not available on MTGO, as I do not play online):

1. I would drop the Shivan Reefs in favor of Gemstone Mines.  They should be roughly equivalent in cost (keeping the deck "budget"), but will eliminate the pain that could cost you a win in tough matchups.  The limited life of Gemstone Mine is hardly a drawback when the goal is to "go off" by turn 3.

2. I would also consider swapping Sleight of Hand in for Serum Visions.  This is just a personal preference.  I would rather give up Scrye for the ability choose from two cards for U.

This actually seems like a fun deck to play and uses two cards I've always wanted to stick in a deck: Hive Mind and Pact of Negation.

I would only make a couple of changes (forgive me if these cards are not available on MTGO, as I do not play online):

1. I would drop the Shivan Reefs in favor of Gemstone Mines.  They should be roughly equivalent in cost (keeping the deck "budget"), but will eliminate the pain that could cost you a win in tough matchups.  The limited life of Gemstone Mine is hardly a drawback when the goal is to "go off" by turn 3.

2. I would also consider swapping Sleight of Hand in for Serum Visions.  This is just a personal preference.  I would rather give up Scrye for the ability choose from two cards for U.

All of these cards are available on MTGO. Everything that's legal in Extended is.

I like the first suggestion a lot. I think I'd also play 2-3 Cascade Bluffs , which also aren't worth much of anything online, in addition to the Mines. It has the disadvantage of not being able to pay for a blue cantrip on turn one (To negate that drawback, I'd take out mountains for them, wich are seldom needed turn one) but other than that it's the best UR dual you can have on the cheap and that doesn't cause pain.

The second suggestion I like less. While you don't control what you draw with Serum Visions, you get to dig deeper to get what you need next turn, while Sleight of Hand only digs two cards deep and doesn't allow you to keep the second card if you'd want both.

Magic The Gathering DCI Lvl 1 Judge Don't hesitate to post rules question in the Rules Q&A forum for me and other competent advisors to answer : http://community.wizards.com/go/forum/view/75842/134778/Rules_Q38A
gigadrowse or its equivalent might be necessary if your meta contains bant or faeries

when its mana leak versus your 3 rituals + hive mind and the mana leak is winning...

on the plus side your land isn't as awfully telling as hypergenesis' so an opponent might not know what you're playing game 1.

and a final caution
I have 1 bird of paradise in my deck and he knows how to make red mana
Nice deck, but probably too late to use it in extended without a lot of luck. The combo's been broken already, and people know how to deal with it. Plus, it seems to have a bad matchup against Zoo.

Still, the Johnny/Spike in me really wants to take this to some local store and tear things apart.

Gemstone mines is a definite yes. You've already lost by the time it's dead, anyways. T4 seems to be the latest that this should go off, and you can always just play the caverns as your second or third land.
Check out my magic blog: http://magicthemusing.wordpress.com/
gigadrowse or its equivalent might be necessary if your meta contains bant or faeries

when its mana leak versus your 3 rituals + hive mind and the mana leak is winning...

on the plus side your land isn't as awfully telling as hypergenesis' so an opponent might not know what you're playing game 1.

and a final caution
I have 1 bird of paradise in my deck and he knows how to make red mana

1: How does Gigadrowse do anythying for this deck? If they have 4R available then they tap lands in response to Gigadrowse.
2: You run Pact of Negation to stop Mana Leak. Personally I would run 4 maindeck (partially because its a win condition).
3: Hopefully, if the opponent has 4R available, you play Pact of the Titan, copying it, and then Pact of Negation, countering your own Titan and forcing your opponent to pay 7UUR. You might also put some Pacts of other colors in the sideboard if they're playing red and can get 5 mana when you go off.
Contest Winners
Random Words
Split Cards
Pac-Man
Worldprism
Quotes
57051078 wrote:
56901828 wrote:
57031358 wrote:
58021268 wrote:
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
82512575 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
58325628 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
Since when am I "many"?
74943291 wrote:
83237429 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
83237429 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
Ahem.
58021268 wrote:
Vivisect =/= vasectomy
Now I just feel silly.
56287226 wrote:
70246459 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
mafia is fun so play it
 I don't think that would work considering that Enduring Ideal has Epic (for the rest of the game, you can't cast spells etc)

Actually, that's the purpose of the combo. With hive mind out, playing Enduring Ideal forces your opponent to copy it, and not be able to play spells for the rest of the game. Any other asymmetrical epic spells works just as well, I guess. I figured Ideal was the easiest to break symmetry with, and it was slightly in-theme.
Hey diddle diddle, the cat and the fiddle, the cow jumped over the moon. The little dog laughed to see such sport, And the Dish ran away with the Spoon. He ran from conviction, and fed his addiction as the Dish heated the Spoon... The Spoon begged to go, but the Dish shouted : "NO!!" "The heroin will be ready soon!" "Any time doing the right thing is funny as hell, it's probably Chaotic Good." IMAGE(http://i46.tinypic.com/2jcu9fs.png)

Actually, that's the purpose of the combo. With hive mind out, playing Enduring Ideal forces your opponent to copy it, and not be able to play spells for the rest of the game. Any other asymmetrical epic spells works just as well, I guess. I figured Ideal was the easiest to break symmetry with, and it was slightly in-theme.

Just wondering, why would you do this when you can just WIN THE GAME....?
Check out my magic blog: http://magicthemusing.wordpress.com/

I'm looking for new ideas for a Standard Hive Mind deck.  I'm currently running a Hive Mind/Warp World combo, but I'd like to try something new.  Anyone have any ideas?

Rules Advisor

Just wondering, why would you do this when you can just WIN THE GAME....?

Because I have a thing for quirky wins. Laughing

I want to use this deck in a game next week, but I just need to clarify the process as it's bound to be questioned!

It's the beginning of my turn and Hive Mind is already in play.

I play any cheap instant or sorcery, lets say Serum Visions.

As the spell is cast, my opponents gets a copy of it as per Hive Mind.

I then cast Pact of Negation to counter my opponent's copy of Serum Visions.

Again, as the spell is cast my opponents gets a copy of the Pact.

Now then, can my opponent use the counter that comes with HIS Pact of Negation to counter the original Pact of Negation to stop it coming into play?