Is Swathstorm legit?

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm prepping for a couple of GP Trials and maybe even Oakland. I saw the swathstorm deck on wizards, and it is hell o' cheap, but is it a threat to the format?
scrubnextdoor blog
Notable Stuffs
Champion of Niv's 1st Block Constructed Tournament
1000 posts & !-year anniversary 2/17/10 BOOYAH

Siggables
Neruka's Boyfriend
Kor Firewalker is SO HOT. He is the fire in my pants. I want his firewalking babies.

Oops
75932913 wrote:
57689138 wrote:
I just realized how large a pain in the ass it's going to be to break down regionals like this
but look on the bright side, [b]Ding Dong jund is dead[b], it's not the boogyman anymore XD

Razorgore
61325265 wrote:
57689138 wrote:
Near Death Experience?
Gideon is not impressed by your triple white, incredibly difficult-to-manlipulate jank card.
Poor Niche
57860688 wrote:
MaRo keeps stabbing me in the face with cards like Phyrexian Rebirth. It's a black card.. with black art... in a white layer with white costs. Up yours, design team.
Cryptic Command can go munch on a bowl of my nuts
I think it looks pretty cool, but i have no idea whether it will be truly ground breaking, seems a bit risky to me.
I don't think it's that legit.  I think most people on the forums would agree nauseam storm is better, plus swath storm is more draw-dependant.
NO ONE EXPECTS THE QUAGSIRE INSURRECTION! My SUPER AWESOME GregtheEgg lightning bolt: http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm284/fengairen2/Scan.png pmppostchandraversion.png
i havent seen any nauseum storm lists so i dont know how much better it can be, but ive been doing alot of testing of swathstorm. as evilweevil said, its very draw-dependant. the deck itself has been fantastic, the only problem has been the consistency. thus far in testing, i get alot of turn 3-4 kills, a few turn 2 kills, but there have been a surprising number of games where i dont even come close to the combo, even with a great opening hand. 
i havent seen any nauseum storm lists so i dont know how much better it can be, but ive been doing alot of testing of swathstorm. as evilweevil said, its very draw-dependant. the deck itself has been fantastic, the only problem has been the consistency. thus far in testing, i get alot of turn 3-4 kills, a few turn 2 kills, but there have been a surprising number of games where i dont even come close to the combo, even with a great opening hand. 

Right, which is why I think nauseam is better.  First of all with nauseam, you don't have to draw both pieces, but can resolve a nauseam and draw into angel's grace.  In addition, rather than having to be able to storm enough to actually kill you just get to the six mana and win.  Angel's grace also has split second, which is nice.
NO ONE EXPECTS THE QUAGSIRE INSURRECTION! My SUPER AWESOME GregtheEgg lightning bolt: http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm284/fengairen2/Scan.png pmppostchandraversion.png
Okay, so it may not work for Oakland itself, but is it the kind of think that can pull out a shock win at Trials or a grinder?
scrubnextdoor blog
Notable Stuffs

Siggables
Neruka's Boyfriend
Kor Firewalker is SO HOT. He is the fire in my pants. I want his firewalking babies.

Oops
75932913 wrote:
57689138 wrote:
I just realized how large a pain in the ass it's going to be to break down regionals like this
but look on the bright side, [b]Ding Dong jund is dead[b], it's not the boogyman anymore XD

Razorgore
61325265 wrote:
57689138 wrote:
Near Death Experience?
Gideon is not impressed by your triple white, incredibly difficult-to-manlipulate jank card.
Poor Niche
57860688 wrote:
MaRo keeps stabbing me in the face with cards like Phyrexian Rebirth. It's a black card.. with black art... in a white layer with white costs. Up yours, design team.
Okay, so it may not work for Oakland itself, but is it the kind of think that can pull out a shock win at Trials or a grinder?

Yeah, for sure.  If you run lucky and are drawing well it's a really quality deck.  So it can definitely do well.

yes. testing has shown me that this deck, though not as consistent as TEPS was, is still fast enough to take on aggro while still having good matchups against control. 
So far I've tested against a few extended decks and had some mixed results

Tezzerator/thopter-sword/UW thing: I actually like this matchup. the trick is timing it to avoid catching like ALL the counterspells.

Dark Depths Combo: Discard is pesky, hatching plans/perilous thoughts becomes much more important. Repeal out of the board for Marit Lage

Bant (later took 3rd place at PTQ last saturday): Like zoo, with blue... Jitte gets remanded, meddling mage gets repealed and maybe I can sneak through, rough for sure...
scrubnextdoor blog
Notable Stuffs

Siggables
Neruka's Boyfriend

Oops
75932913 wrote:
57689138 wrote:

Razorgore
61325265 wrote:
57689138 wrote:
Near Death Experience?
Poor Niche
57860688 wrote:
  I think most people on the forums would agree nauseam storm is better,

Can you direct me to a list, please?
I've been looking for something to play, but being that this is my first rotation, I don't know how to handle it.

Thanks.

Orzhova Witness

Restarting Quotes Block
58086748 wrote:
58335208 wrote:
Disregard women acquire chase rares.
There are a lot of dudes for whom this is not optional.
97820278 wrote:
144532521 wrote:
How;s a 2 drop 1/2, Flying broken? What am I missing?
You're missing it because *turns Storm Crows sideways* all your base are belong to Chuck Norris and every other overused meme ever.
  I think most people on the forums would agree nauseam storm is better,

Can you direct me to a list, please?
I've been looking for something to play, but being that this is my first rotation, I don't know how to handle it.

Thanks.

You play agro after a rotation until some one builds a good control/combo shell which we now have in tezzerator and I would like to seismic assualt with treasure hunt.
And it's said that youth's ,well only tragedy Is being unoriginal
89522235 wrote:
niche's solution to everything is always MOAR BLACK! "ok, my legacy mono black control deck is getting hated out by light of day..." "MOAR BLACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"