1/12/2010 SF: "Casualties Speaking"

8 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's Serious Fun, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.

Eww... goblins.

Have you considered another alt format for the column like Standard legal 15 card highlander?
I've never played EDH, but after reading about it so much, I'm thinking about getting all my friends to try it out at some point.

I really like how Mr. Styborski admitted that he missed a great card for his deck, and welcomed help.

Since EDH has been talked about heavily, I would love a little more strategy information about it, or maybe an article about "How To Build A EDH Deck When You've Never Built One Before".  Having never done built one, it would be nice for some pointers.
Fear Of The Dark, Fear Of The Dark, I Have A Constant Fear That Something's Always Near; Fear Of The Dark, Fear Of The Dark, I Have A Phobia That Someone's Always There- Iron Maiden Fear of the Dark shall be feared no longer! Let him be praised instead! (Many, many thanks for all your hard work!) - darkwarlock I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both instinctive and emotional. I value my own instincts and desires, and either ignore or crush anything that stands in my way; planning and foresight are unnecessary. At best, I'm determined and fierce; at worst, I'm headstrong and infantile.
Check out my DnD blog! www.artificersintuition.blogspot.com
Since EDH has been talked about heavily, I would love a little more strategy information about it, or maybe an article about "How To Build A EDH Deck When You've Never Built One Before".  Having never done built one, it would be nice for some pointers.

It's fairly straightforward really, for a basic deck at least. You'll generally want 35-40% lands like in any other format, so 40 lands, then the trick is finding 59 in-color playables. But this isn't as hard as it sounds. The great thing about EDH is it gives a home for all those cards that don't quite make the cut into a normal constructed deck, like the various creatures from Alara Reborn with dual land cycling.

The easiest decks to build are ones using multicolor Legendaries from the Alara block; using someone like Uril the Mist Stalker, Rafiq of the Many, THRAXIMUNDAR!, Sen Triplets or Kresh the Bloodbraided gives you a good range of colors to work with. You can very easily just start pulling one-of's within the alara block by itself and put together a functioning deck, though manafixing would be a problem.

Then the next step is making a deck have synergy and/or redundancy, which in a singleton deck means that you'll want multiple cards that do essentially the same thing, or at least similar. For  example, in a Bant deck with Rafiq of the Many, if you want to reliably have artifact/enchantment removal, you'd use Naturalize, Solemn Offering, Qasali Pridemage, Bant Charm, Dispeller's Capsule, etc.

Really the best way to do it is to just grab a General, and sit down with your collection pulling out any and everything that is playable and in-color, sort them by mana cost, and then start making cuts until you've got 59 playables that you're happy with.

Hope that helps, happy gaming!

If you want to learn all the details about what is in all liklihood the most fun format in all of Magic, just visit the EDH Forum and read all the stickies.
If you want to learn all the details about what is in all liklihood the most fun format in all of Magic, just visit the EDH Forum and read all the stickies.

I did this afterward.  Thank you IncrediSteve for the pointers though; they helped out a lot.  I need to figure out my general and see what I can come up with.  I don't have any of the Alara legends (I traded my Thraximundar for a Kamahl, Fist of Krosa and some other cards), so I'll have to see what I can come up with.
Fear Of The Dark, Fear Of The Dark, I Have A Constant Fear That Something's Always Near; Fear Of The Dark, Fear Of The Dark, I Have A Phobia That Someone's Always There- Iron Maiden Fear of the Dark shall be feared no longer! Let him be praised instead! (Many, many thanks for all your hard work!) - darkwarlock I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both instinctive and emotional. I value my own instincts and desires, and either ignore or crush anything that stands in my way; planning and foresight are unnecessary. At best, I'm determined and fierce; at worst, I'm headstrong and infantile.
Check out my DnD blog! www.artificersintuition.blogspot.com
I'd love to see some crazy game reports with lots of pictures like Kelly used to do sometimes.
Sign In to post comments