standard is absolutely no fun anymore

369 posts / 0 new
Last post
all i know is worldwake better not suck or i am seriously quitting, because this is just out of hand how lame it is.  come on wizards... don't let us down... again

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

all i know is worldwake better not suck or i am seriously quitting, because this is just out of hand how lame it is.  come on wizards... don't let us down... again

LOL, what's prompting you to say this? Have you been drinking the Kool-Aid too?

There are a fair amount of good standard decks finally out there

Vampires (finally won something big)
Jund (why won't this deck just go away?)
Boros (if it wasn't so fast, it would be on life support)
Grixis/Cruel Control (dusting off Cruel Ultimatum is so fun)
All-American Control (god bless America DOES me god damn everyone else... who knew?)
Knightfall
Red Deck Wins
Eldrazi Green
White Weenie
Naya Lightsaber
Bant

the list goes on... however the point is, there are a lot of good options out there...
old quotes from the Worldwake talk: Mike Turian: While Mark Rosewater made Tarmogoyf, I made Tarmogoyf what he is today Mark Rosewater: Would we ever reprint Tarmogoyf? Maybe.

I am Blue/Green

whatcolor_isblue.jpg

174 How many of your friendships have lasted more than ten years? Which of your current friendships do you still feel will be important to you ten years from now?
ill admit standard has been bad...but jund keeps falling in how much its played and every percent it does standard gets better
firebreathingturtles.png
yea, none of those are fun, or fun to play against.  uwr was fun, but then it just hit me it was not how i wanted to play the deck anymore... standard is just dreadful

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

Photobucket

Well, maybe worldwake will kick ass!  Maybe.  Otherwise, Extended is always an option.
yea, none of those are fun, or fun to play against.  uwr was fun, but then it just hit me it was not how i wanted to play the deck anymore... standard is just dreadful

I think you have standard fatigue... It's time to start drafting more and playing some INSANE decks...

Like de-tune out your deck by throwing in a bunch of singletons for a card you are less attached to.

LOL
-3 Malakir Bloodwitch

+1 Guul Draz Specter
+1 Xathrid Demon
+1 Ob Nixilis, the Fallen

Or some other random alteration just so your deck feels spicy when you play it but is overall still consistant enough to win.
old quotes from the Worldwake talk: Mike Turian: While Mark Rosewater made Tarmogoyf, I made Tarmogoyf what he is today Mark Rosewater: Would we ever reprint Tarmogoyf? Maybe.

I am Blue/Green

whatcolor_isblue.jpg

174 How many of your friendships have lasted more than ten years? Which of your current friendships do you still feel will be important to you ten years from now?
I have an idea!  Play another format.  It's not that hard...

Quiet you and get back in the box. We are trying to KEEP people playing standard... if they get wise and go to Extended and Legacy they won't be buying any new cards anymore... or at least in smaller amounts

I am Blue/Green

whatcolor_isblue.jpg

Quiet you and get back in the box. We are trying to KEEP people playing standard... if they get wise and go to Extended and Legacy they won't be buying any new cards anymore... or at least in smaller amounts

YOU FOOL.  Baneslayer's will go down in price then...plus extended is clearly the best format.

YOU FOOL.  Baneslayer's will go down in price then...plus extended is clearly the best format.

The card is seeing play in Extended (Zoo), and Legacy (mono-white Trini-Stax). It's not going to dip anytime soon... it's on par with Thoughtsieze, Rishidan Port, and Tarmogoyf now... one of those ooooooooooh pretty cards that you will not want to get again once you let them go.

Random note #7: I never should have traded my Entomb when I started playing Magic again... the went from 4 dollar cards to 40 dollar cards in only a couple months. Of course my play set was even MINT since I had them and the Ichorids in sleeves the whole time I used them...

I am Blue/Green

whatcolor_isblue.jpg

The card is seeing play in Extended (Zoo), and Legacy (mono-white Trini-Stax). It's not going to dip anytime soon... it's on par with Thoughtsieze, Rishidan Port, and Tarmogoyf now... one of those ooooooooooh pretty cards that you will not want to get again once you let them go.

Random note #7: I never should have traded my Entomb when I started playing Magic again... the went from 4 dollar cards to 40 dollar cards in only a couple months. Of course my play set was even MINT since I had them and the Ichorids in sleeves the whole time I used them...

I'm aware they're played in extended, thanks.  Still, if less people play the secondary market will go down, just in general.

I'm aware they're played in extended, thanks.  Still, if less people play the secondary market will go down, just in general.

Maybe, possibly...

I am Blue/Green

whatcolor_isblue.jpg

Maybe, possibly...

Basic supply/demand.
i am forced to play only on modo for right now... so its either standard or extended... as i don't really want to play the other random formats... and classic is the stupidest crap i've ever seen.  i was thinking about extended, but eh, we'll see.  i don't draft anymore becuase i really hate zendikar limited.  shards was way more fun... hell even m10 was better.

i would play legacy in real life, but my deck got stolen a few months back... so yea, i'm done there.... people shouldn't be have to pick up forces, fetches, duals, etc. more than once... like i would mess whoever took it something fierce, no joke... and so would anyone else i knew, becuase i know some badass players of legacy, like the guy who won the scg's legacy the one before that last one... it was a sad day for all when it got stolen...and i'm very bitter

Photobucket

i am forced to play only on modo for right now... so its either standard or extended... as i don't really want to play the other random formats... and classic is the stupidest crap i've ever seen.  i was thinking about extended, but eh, we'll see.  i don't draft anymore becuase i really hate zendikar limited.  shards was way more fun... hell even m10 was better.

Try extended, trust me.
I feel the problem with standard is there is no real normal control decks. We have no decks that are challenging and are fun to play for your normal control player; We have no decks like Psychatog, Teachings, or fae. Instead we have tap out control decks which really are not that fun to play; We don't have the more interesting tap out control decks such ubr korlash control, uwr angelfire in rav/x and some of the coalition relic control decks from rav/tsp which were all really good decks and were fun to play.
But you were deceived.
agreed

Photobucket

I feel the problem with standard is there is no real normal control decks. We have no decks that are challenging and are fun to play for your normal control player; We have no decks like Psychatog, Teachings, or fae. Instead we have tap out control decks which really are not that fun to play; We don't have the more interesting tap out control decks such ubr korlash control, uwr angelfire in rav/x and some of the coalition relic control decks from rav/tsp which were all really good decks and were fun to play.

Yeah agreed.  Control decks now are just removal until you can tap out for jwar jwar.  There's no legit counters to make you sit and think whether you want to tap out and you can't play draw go.
That, and we're missing a true combo deck or two as well.

Another part of the problem is that we basically have an incredibly small pool of cards from which to build a Standard deck. I'm sure WWK will spice things up a bit... I hope.
You are Red/Blue!
I was.

Registered users: evilweevil666GluxnerukaS1ALTheiz

Cool 

*sigh* This thread is (a) useless, (b) annoying, (c) hilarious.

Really, if you don't like Standard then don't play... or, and I know this is a difficult one, learn to experiment. "Oh my God! I can't netdeck something that I want to play so Standard suxx0rs!" It's old already... I can't wait for WWK to come out so you can either (a) quit or (b) shut up. 

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGS1AL.png) Sig by zpikduM.

Yeah that was kind of a useless first post.

Other than that I think Standard is really healthy -- and I'm actually quite happy with it. I see nothing wrong with the format, and I didn't see anything wrong with it when Fae was dominant either. I think Wizards is doing a really good job with their new designs.

Jund is a little dominant, and I personally dislike Jund more and more as time goes on. Because it is TERRIBLY boring to play with and against. I still play it though; there's no harm. But I have built RWU as a back up for when I get really bored of Jund mirrors lol.

I would love to see a more interactive control deck come out, but I have resigned myself to the fact Wizards is nerfing blue for a cause. Blue is just inherently too powerful. And therefore designing new good blue cards that are also balanced and fun is a very difficult task... 

On the other hand they are giving us a nice Jace to play with, and if a deck comes out that makes him work it will be amazing. Right? I don't want to buy my playset tho. Bleh. 
I was.

Registered users: evilweevil666GluxnerukaS1ALTheiz

I don't get it ... 

:P 
alright fu*(), i haven't netdeck once this standard.  i have been playing uwr control since week 1 and now its coming out of the woodwork.  its just a lame standard, do i need to describe in detail how incredibly boring decks are.  and like i said, come worldwake, if it sucks, i am quitting.  get out of my thread if you don't wanna hear my complaining, but i'm doing it becuase i damn well can. 

Photobucket

Other than that I think Standard is really healthy -- and I'm actually quite happy with it. I see nothing wrong with the format, and I didn't see anything wrong with it when Fae was dominant either. I think Wizards is doing a really good job with their new designs.

Jund is a little dominant, and I personally dislike Jund more and more as time goes on. Because it is TERRIBLY boring to play with and against. I still play it though; there's no harm. But I have built RWU as a back up for when I get really bored of Jund mirrors lol.

I would love to see a more interactive control deck come out, but I have resigned myself to the fact Wizards is nerfing blue for a cause. Blue is just inherently too powerful. And therefore designing new good blue cards that are also balanced and fun is a very difficult task... 

On the other hand they are giving us a nice Jace to play with, and if a deck comes out that makes him work it will be amazing. Right? I don't want to buy my playset tho. Bleh. 

I think the real major problem with standard is with how limited we are with shards of alara being a tri-color which limits with how many good cards that we get to play with. I think tricolor, while sort of new and different, wasn't really a good idea on wotcs part. I have a lot of troubles when making a deck and I get the problem is "ok, this card is really good but these 3 colors really are not synergistics enough to be able to make a good deck.".

Another thing where I can see SoA hurting standard is when we get more zendikar block sets and we end up with "block vs block" rather then having synergy between blocks which is something wotc has been trying to do since there were decks like madness or goblins or other decks which really just were focused on there block and really didn't take too many cards outside of their own block.

But you were deceived.

Useful post is useful, lol.

Standard could be a lot worse... we're one set into the latest block, mono and multi blocks really don't mix well (hence Jund not using anything from Zen, etc), and there are a LOT of rogue decks that are doing well right now.

As for blue being inherently too powerful... I see where you're coming from, but that's not an entirely accurate statement. The truth is that Blue's cards have always been better for their costs than they should have been, while the other colors have rarely had that problem. The issue is that most of the other colors (a) have not had much CA until recently and (b) have been fairly "boring," and thus less susceptible to being "broken." The more options you create, the more likely you are to create an environment where something can be broken.

Green and Red, until recently the most straight-forward of the colors, have very rarely had any broken cards (look at the restricted list, lol). There really aren't a lot of ways to miss interactions with "turn dudes sideways" or "burn face and drop Goblins." Black, with hand disruption and graveyard interactions, is much more easily broken, and White has always has so many "law" effects that it's very easy to break that color.

So this leaves us with Blue... Ironically, Blue's cards have never been the kind where they were "naturally" broken in the way that things like Black Lotus are... rather, Blue has had cards that the designers did not cost properly, and thus gave far more potential than they already had. Ancestral Recall would have been fine at 5 mana. Time Walk is fine at 5 (Time Warp). Blue has just had a history of under-costed cards with synergy, and synergy is what makes most games go around.

What really needs to happen is for blue to take a step away from Instants and Sorceries and get more permanents. As I said before, an Enchantment that reads: "1U, 3 exhaustion counters; 1U, remove a counter: tap all creatures target player controls" is where Blue should go, along with getting better counter spells and slightly stronger draw than it currently has. It would also make the game more interesting.

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGS1AL.png) Sig by zpikduM.

alright fu*(), i haven't netdeck once this standard.  i have been playing uwr control since week 1 and now its coming out of the woodwork.  its just a lame standard, do i need to describe in detail how incredibly boring decks are.  and like i said, come worldwake, if it sucks, i am quitting.  get out of my thread if you don't wanna hear my complaining, but i'm doing it becuase i damn well can. 

I almost hope it sucks, at this point... and decks are only that boring if you aren't willing to try something new. I mean really, as I've said before, I try at least one new idea every 2 weeks, and I still love playing Standard.

So many posts in this thread?
Want to know how to keep a moron busy? Reread this sentence to find out!
People are getting a little too riled in this forum.

Relax and have fun. Geez.

Standard is fine. It's as healthy as it's going to get. It's a little boring that's all. (Because for the most part it's "solved" -- finding new decks to build at this point is a little hard. But worldwake comes out within weeks so everyone will be excited again once we get new cards.)

I'm super excited about attending Standard events in my area. The only thing is everyone is now playing Extended So I feel a little left out. Extended is way too expensive for me right now. 
I say try out extended. There are tons of fun cards in extended and you can really create something unique yet effective. Extended is tons of fun. I am still having fun in standard though. Just trying out different ideas on mws and seeing how they work is how I still have fun with this standard. There are so many different decks you can make at tier 2 or 3 level.
*shrug* I'm fine with Standard for now.  The "new" type of blue control is kinda weird, but I like it for some reason.  Combo's lack of appearance is troubling, however.
REMEMBER FLUFFY, mercilessly slain by the bastard Useless Mancer
Fluffy, the cute and cuddly baloth beatstick of marshmellowy fluffyness and lolz, om-nom-noming Keeper's wicked soul; its insane, deadly amount of cuteness rips the fabric of reality to shreds, its pink, soft, round teeth dripping with honey, every breath spreading the repugnant smell of fresh flowers, this horrifying creature of destruction devastates Keeper by spreading its deadly, all-powerful fluff over the countryside, laying waste to dragon and furry bunny alike. It comes howling out of the east, an endless rattling and gnashing of teeth, a twisted grinding pull on the very fabric of reality threatening to consume body and mind alike in an endless glimmering pink torrent. Nothing is more terrible than the sun glittering on its teeth, save perhaps the light glancing off the oily tones of the sequins that cover its hotpants. Of course, there was that child who tried to eat Fluffy, mistaking him for a giant, walking piece of cotton candy. That child... is now the almighty leader of Fluffy, controlling his every move, sending him to devour the people that cross his path. And Keeper. Because we said so. Nothing can stop Fluffy's march to victory, spreading the sweet smell of strawberries where ever it lays its mighty paw. Followed by many jolly fairies singing joyful songs about Fluffy's cuddlyness, the baloth wanders the mountains of Zendikarland on a quest to share the love with Keeper, tough love that is...
Fluffy, we'll miss you friend. We'll miss you...
Siggy Siggables
56544366 wrote:
My other name consideration was "Thermodynamics of Doom!"
58271798 wrote:
Master Yumyums! Master Yumyums! I made it even more unfun! Spirited Betrayal Sorcery All lands are copies of Night of Souls' Betrayal. The legend rule doesn't apply to them. *Headsplosion*
56267956 wrote:
76064519 wrote:
If they make Mono-blue control a viable option for FNM again, I'm going to force myself to browse 4chan while listening to Hannah Montana and Justin Bieber and then I'm going to read Twilight books before I go to sleep for 1 whole week...
I already do that.
56544366 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
I NEED GRADES TO MAKE ME FEEL SPECIAL.
Use of caps lock: 9/10
58438088 wrote:
We were goddamn slowly making our way towards those **** mountains. The road was all filthy and wet, bird **** on every step and eldrazi piss raining from the sky. "So those ****tards are finally awake huh?" my idiotic companion asked. "Yep, we're in deep ****, homie." "Wazzup?" "Nothing, just pissed." My companion looked to the sky. A drop of the eldrazi urine fell right in his eye. "Oh, man. Now I'm pissed too." As we were moving on, we were looking around on the innocent nature. Two baloths were doing it on the road so we had to make a little detour. The pools of piss were kinda unpleasant but at least it was warm so we had no trouble at night. "One gets used to piss running down your face you know." said my companion. "F'shizzle." answered I stoicly and kicked two rabbits, who were doing nasty things to each other's ass, in the ass. "Man one can't take a spit here without hitting some shamming animals." "Word. Zendikar sucks. Hope the eldrazi contribute a little to the population regulation." As my companion said that, a gigantic, 20 meters tall eldrazi slithered by. On it's arms and tentacles were remains of birds, rabbits, baloths, angels, planeswalkers, dragons, krakens and a few cities. We stood up and clapped loudly. "A few bitches less." (People don't get banned for such posts do they?)
58021268 wrote:
Am I the only one? Looking over the recent threads debating the merits of "Belgium," the various ideas to "fix" England and other topics which concern European nations, I'm struck by how much I don't care what happens. Britain and Spain are, to me, completely inaccessible due to the Atlantic Ocean, not to mention volcanoes and socialism. I sound like I'm bashing European nations, and I guess I kind of am. If you enjoy living in France, Luxembourg, Poland or any other, older nation, that's fantastic. I just don't see why there's such a huge uproar about a volcano that is mostly affecting a niche group of people.
57008088 wrote:
57036138 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57052258 wrote:
Hell, I don't even like that they printed Pillarfield Ox
I'm real happy for you, and I'mma let you finish, but pillarfield ox has one of the best pieces of art of all time. Of all time.
Really? I don't really see the greatness.
It's an Ox. In a PILLARFIELD. That's like, a field of frickin' PILLARS, but to this Ox it just looks like an ordinary field of grass - because he is so BADASS.
56916508 wrote:
Finally, Master Yumyums just had probably the most boring, worthless card in the entire contest. Why would you need to give creatures -1/-0 on your turn? To beat them down with your nonflying blue aggro deck that plays a bad win condition card to win (and if you are playing the critters, why aren't you winning with them?!)? And the win condition itself is so mindblowingly difficult it seems like it was only made simply to fit the criteria.
Derivative Radial Tangent Calculation of Pure, Absolute, Utmost, Uncontestable and Utter Doom Newton's Second Law of Equations As an additional calculation to add to ~, reveal a Mathematical Equation from your hand, with a converted mana casting cost equal to a Prime Number. (Prime numbers are 2, 3, 5, 7, 11 13, 17...) ~ costs ƒ(x) = Σπ(δƒ(u)-ƒ(x)) if you're a fan of René Descartes in Facebook. ~ deals X damage to each creature your opponents control within a radius of X KM from ~, where X is the revealed Equation's converted mana cost. ~ deals Y damages to target player, where Y is the area of the Sphere (using the first 50 digits of pi as pi). ~ deals Z less damage, where Z is the distance in Lightyears from the centerpoint of the Sphere. Add up X, Y and Z and round it up to the closest number. Multiply the damage ~ would deal by m, where m is the number of multiples of that number. Calculate the first 50 Fibonaci numbers: Deal the difference between the 25-50th numbers, and the first 25 numbers. As long as the angular acceleration of an object t approaches maximum velocity relative to the cross product of a vector n and its bisector as the object passes through point Q at vector n's convergence in zero gravity, Disastrous Radial Tangent Calculation can't be countered. As long as you can do a geometric proof of anything on this card, target opponent must be doing one. Otherwise, he or she loses the game. (both games. you just lost the game.)
I dislike Standard atm also. It's not just that it's solved, although I think that's part of it, the fact that it was solved so easily because the best cards and strategies are so obvious, rather than having more tricky stuff and more balanced stuff like we did in Rav/TSP (and I think it helped that the card pool was bigger back then).

But a lot of the decks right now are just putting all the best cards together in a deck. The only strategy involved are really simple ideas, like the idea that control decks need card drawing spells, or the mono red decks which ignore everything and just try to deal damage, or the synergy between Knight and Landfall. We don't have too many oddball decks using things like Poison Slivers, The Rack, combo decks like Dragonstorm, control decks that optimize for the mirror like Teachings, and so on. And the few oddball decks we do have are particularly un fun to play against - we have the Howling Mine decks (mostly Turbofog) and we have the mana denial decks with Spreading Seas.

Half the decks today look like a beginner made them. Eldrazi Green - a bunch of token producers and pump effects. Cruel Control - someone wanted to use big spells like Cruel Ultimatum and their more experienced friend told them to add in a bit of cheap removal to survive the early game. Mono red - all the cards that do the most damage for the least mana.

Agreed.  After all, where else can you play jank and still win?  Well, maybe legacy...
Real men hold shift. If everyone has their fingers in the pie, then someone is eating fingers.

My local playgroup has pretty much given up on standard, since not enough people want to play it anymore to sanction the event. Before we were getting up to 20 people or so, now there's basically none.
Website for my radio series: http://www.cyrusbalesfilms.co.uk/id2.html For the facebook group of my radio series, search for "Who will save us now?" Please join! Follow my regular articles on: http://www.manaleak.com/mtguk/

Agreed.  After all, where else can you play jank and still win?  Well, maybe legacy...

What is this junk people are playing in extended? If it wins, how is it still junk?

Thopter/Sword = Yummy
Valakut/Scapeshift = Also yummy
Zoo = A place where animals live.  Wink

I am Blue/Green

whatcolor_isblue.jpg

What is this junk people are playing in extended? If it wins, how is it still junk?

Thopter/Sword = Yummy

One word: Dredge

i would play legacy in real life, but my deck got stolen a few months back... so yea, i'm done there.... people shouldn't be have to pick up forces, fetches, duals, etc. more than once... like i would mess whoever took it something fierce, no joke... and so would anyone else i knew, becuase i know some badass players of legacy, like the guy who won the scg's legacy the one before that last one... it was a sad day for all when it got stolen...and i'm very bitter

Zendijkar is great in draft. who have you been drafting with?

its just stupid aggro, like shards had a lot more thought process involved in it.  it also had some removal spells printed.  i mean seriously, back a few months ago, we had a ptq bye thingy as sealed deck.  they top 8 players all had black in their decks, including at least 4 vampire nighthawks, 2 sorins... and removal spells.  meanwhile, i had a crappy red/green aggro deck that couldn't do crap against the hordes of removal from black, or the aggressiveness of R/x decks.  harrow is great and all, but when its your best card, you have a problem.  its just a mindless, unfun limited format.  i feel like there isn't a lot of diversity, whereas in shards, i drafted a million different strategies and won with all different kinds of decks.  most reports indicate the top players got lucky with red/black or some strong combination of the above colors.

i'm just saying zendikar limited is pretty unbalanced where shards felt a little better

so like i'd said before, if worldwake is a crappy set, then i'm quitting, because its not worth the time or money anymore.

Photobucket

its just stupid aggro, like shards had a lot more thought process involved in it.  it also had some removal spells printed.  i mean seriously, back a few months ago, we had a ptq bye thingy as sealed deck.  they top 8 players all had black in their decks, including at least 4 vampire nighthawks, 2 sorins... and removal spells.  meanwhile, i had a crappy red/green aggro deck that couldn't do crap against the hordes of removal from black, or the aggressiveness of R/x decks.  harrow is great and all, but when its your best card, you have a problem.  its just a mindless, unfun limited format.  i feel like there isn't a lot of diversity, whereas in shards, i drafted a million different strategies and won with all different kinds of decks.  most reports indicate the top players got lucky with red/black or some strong combination of the above colors.

i'm just saying zendikar limited is pretty unbalanced where shards felt a little better

so like i'd said before, if worldwake is a crappy set, then i'm quitting, because its not worth the time or money anymore.

Um, I won a Zen draft with a control deck that had a whopping 10 creatures in it. It's not stupid aggro. It's just aggro tilted. In order to combat that, you either:

A) Draft Mill
B) Draft every copy of Spreading Seas you can, some bounce, and a good win con.
C) Draft every piece of removal you can, and a good win con
D)
Show
Cheat...

E) Play scrubs who still don't understand the game...

I am Blue/Green

whatcolor_isblue.jpg

Thopter/Sword = Yummy

One word: Dredge

Okay, you win... lol

I am Blue/Green

whatcolor_isblue.jpg

LOLOL.  I have drafted, and won, with each color in Zendikar (yes, that included Blue, in fact, I've forced concessions with timely Spell Pierce/Cancels).  Zen is a very nice limited format IMO.  How could it not?  Kicker!