Adventuring Company Question

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
The CCG mentions that adventuring company membership can't be based on anything related to the player, only the character, such as location. However wouldn't people want to create a company out of their usual players?  Does this mean that anybody can apply to any adventuring company and *must* be accepted if they meet the character criteria?

Christopher Green RPGA# 5209379759 Aelar Tel'ess'san - Elven Cleric Lvl 4 Veloch Shade - Tiefling Rogue Lvl 4 Adaeth the Mindwalker - Deva Psion Lvl 2 The Story Tellers' Guild The Roleplaying Association of SUNY Oswego http://www.oswego.edu/stg
It's trivial to include requirements such as "Must receive approval by a majority vote of the membership of the AdCo" or "Must receive recommendations from two members of the AdCo", which ensures that's not the case.

I'm not entirely sure the purpose of the idea that you can't have player-related requirements (beyond "Please don't use requirements that will get the RPGA sued"), but whatever it is, it's pretty unlikely that the purpose is actually being achieved by these rules.

Then again, I suppose you could say the same thing about the adventuring company idea as a whole.

Well after a year (well a year early February) of running LFR locally with an ever-expanding group of people we have been discussing forming an adventuring company for the local players for a number of reasons. Maybe even multiple companies given the one per player allowed per company and most of my local players have at least 2-3 different characters.

Christopher Green RPGA# 5209379759 Aelar Tel'ess'san - Elven Cleric Lvl 4 Veloch Shade - Tiefling Rogue Lvl 4 Adaeth the Mindwalker - Deva Psion Lvl 2 The Story Tellers' Guild The Roleplaying Association of SUNY Oswego http://www.oswego.edu/stg
Well, since there's no real "reputation" of the AdCo at stake, what's the problem is annother five players at the other end of the country read about yoru AdCo on your website and chose to join. You'll likely never met them and whatever they do "in the name of your AdCo" at homegames/Cons/gamedays hundreds miles away from you won't affect you anyway.
The same argument goes for characters I might post as well or fan fiction.
The golden rule is that I or anyone else should be able to join your AdvCo. Nothing should prevent that. So long as my PC meets the criteria, I should get in. This means that any screening should be of the PC. If this is the "love Mask" adventuring company, and I say my PC hates Mask, they shouldn't get in.

AdvCos are pretty weak, to be honest. The limit of one PC per player ensures that you will be unable to play in the AdvCo unless everyone works really hard to always stay in the same tier. I keep hoping that lame rule will be changed. I started an AdvCo (Sundered Hall) and have played in it all of 3 or 4 times, because my Dwarf is a primary PC but secondary or tertiary for other local players. Hence, we can never play together.

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

I have a character that is part of an adventuring company where the only rule to joining is that your character must either be or have adventured with , where is a very specific character played by a friend of mine.  Certainly, it is possible to join, but only if you play in an adventure with that character and the player of that character only plays in private LFR games with his friends.  So, for all intents and purposes, the adventuring company is exclusive.

-SYB
Alright I'll try it that way.
You need to wonder how bad it is that other people join?
If the main objective is to have an adventure company you can play with friends, how bad is it if other people join it as well (provided they would want to)?
I can see how it would not make sense if someone you never played with becomes a member of the Band of the Yellow Sash you just made up, but even if they did (the chances of it being fairly small), it need not impact your play.

Gomez
Of course, in FR (realmslore), most adventuring companies are groups of people who normally go on adventures together, travel together and stay together for months/years, barring death or retirement.  That flavor was part of the goal.  If the group has shared goal, beyond lets get rich and have fun, that is up to them. 

I would have been amazed if someone else in Faerun had declared they had formed a splinter group of the same company, but I supposed it would be considered just an imitator.  Only in Cormyr were names of adventuring companies actually registered that I recall.

Keith
Keith Hoffman LFR Writing Director for Waterdeep
Of course, in FR (realmslore), most adventuring companies are groups of people who normally go on adventures together, travel together and stay together for months/years, barring death or retirement.  That flavor was part of the goal.

Good thing those adventurers never got sick, never missed an expedition, and never had to do anything on their own.

"Hey, Kelemvor, Cyric, and Adon, what's up?"

"Going adventuring, Midnight, you want to come?

"Sorry... I can't. I have to study this new book. How about next week?"

"Nah, we will all have leveled and will be playing at the next tier when we go find the Tablets of Fate. It's been nice knowing you. You can stay in our Adventuring Company, but will never adventure with us again."

"That makes me so sad! Say, could my friend Isabel come?"

"No."

"Why?"

"We aren't sure, but you can't."

*Cries*

Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

Week 1: Gandalf talks his friends Frodo, Sam, Merry, and Pippin into rolling up new level 1 characters.

Week 2: Aragorn sits in on a session. Gandalf is off to another convention. He's a bit of a gaming addict.

Week 3: Aragorn hits things off with the GM. He knows some other people who would love to get into this game.

Week 4: Legolas , Gimli, and Boromir join the players for what becomes known as "The Council of Elrond". At the end of the night the group decides to look into forming an adventurer's club.

Week 5: This is a lot of people to run through an adventure but the GM manages to do it, despite the noob behavior of some of the hobbits.

Week 6: The club is officially formed. Gandalf is too high to run in the official mods so is considered abandoned in the Mines of Moria until everyone else manages to level up. He has an old character named Gollum he can bring into the adventure though. He just has to find his character sheet.

Week 7: Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli hit level 5 while fighting orcs. The hobbits are still a few levels behind and the group has to split up. Frodo and Sam agree to run some low level adventures so Gollum can catch up to the hobbits while Pippin and Merry try to level up so they can catch up with Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli. Boromir gets killed and starts throwing dice. The group decides that no one wants to rez his character. He brings a new character named Faramir but is never really accepted as part of the group anymore.

Week 8: Gandalf rolls another new character named Treebeard so he can play with Merry and Pippin as well, the group is now meeting on three different nights, Frodo's group on Thursdays, Merry and Pippin on Fridays, and Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli on Saturday afternoons.

Week 9: Merry and Pippin finally level up and they can no longer have Treebeard in the adventures. That character is never played again. Meanwhile Frodo and Sam, now that they have to play on a different night have found the new night is better for both of them. They'll keep playing on Thursdays. The campaign is getting harder and harder to keep track of.

Week 10: The group officially disbands the adventurer's club. The GM is going nuts trying to the same campaign on three different nights with three different groups. Aragorn's class schedule has changed so the GM is running him through some solo adventures. The only people meeting regularly are Frodo, Sam, and Gollum. Gollum is trying to level up entirely on skill challenges and Sam's getting sick of it. Frankly Gollum is getting on Sam's nerves but since he's Frodo's friend and the guy who talked them into playing Frodo puts up with it.

Week 11: The campaign is in a shambles. The Friday/Saturday groups have merged but can't pick a day. They decide that whomever shows up will be in the adventure for that night, no matter how little sense it makes. Aragorn takes this as an invitation to pop in late and leave early.

Week 12: Frodo and Sam have had enough of refusing combat. They kill Gollum's character and dump the character and the ring into the lava. The GM uses the opportunity to end the campaign and tell the weekend group that they won. No one has a clue what happened Thursday except the GM and Gollum/Gandalf.

Week 13: Everyone shows up to say they're sorry and they try to end the campaign cleanly by everyone going home.

Week 16: Frodo, Sam, Merry, and Pippin try to have one last small adventure together. It doesn't work out well. Both the GM and Frodo are just sick of the whole thing.
That was pretty awesome!

awesomeness

You good sir owe me a new keyboard, or at least a good wash of a keyboard and a new glass of wine.

Take a

Week 1: Gandalf talks his friends Frodo, Sam, Merry, and Pippin into rolling up new level 1 characters.
[SNIP]

Bravo.  Well done.
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

LOL.

It'll probably be several adventuring companies actually given that the core 6-7 players I have have at least 3 characters apiece because every time somebody new enters the fold as it were we re-run some of the adventures they played previously and often need a new character. That and everytime the monthly update comes out "OOH OOOH New character time!".