Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-menu! - Dwarf Axe Fighter Optimized

15 posts / 0 new
Last post

Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-menu!

"Axes of the Dwarves! The Dwarves are upon you!"

117997_CN_GL.jpg

Major Edits:

When I went to actually make this character for an upcoming campaign, I just couldn't follow my own advice.  I know I will get flamed (I use the word loosely), but I just can't take a starting 18 on Str, when Wis and Con are so important to a dwarf fighter build.

I had made 2 builds, a Hammer Con build and an Axe/Wis build, but in looking more closely at my Axe build I realized that Epic Recovery is just too good to pass up on for a Dwarf.  Epic Recovery is an epic feat which allows you to take a second wind a second time.  It has a requirement of 19 Con though.  Originally it was only in my hammer build, but the more I thought it, the more I thought it was be just plain sick.

I tried out several starting abilities and I ended up going with 17, 16, 10, 10, 16, 8 for starting stats.  Pumping Str and Wis at every level except lvl 14 and lvl 28.  This build can go Hammer or Axe with some small changes regarding which weapon you use.  It can use several paragon paths, the 2 I recommend are Pit Fighter and Dreadnought.  The one I post is Pit Fighter, but I may change this even in my personal character to Dreadnought if my gm respects my marks.

As a fighter you constantly have ask yourself, do I need to be more of a threat, or do I need to be more durable, it really comes to down to your play style, your dm's play style and group tactics and make-up.  If your GM constantly triggers your Combat Challenge and you are making lots of OA's then you obviously want more damage and hit.  (Pit Fighter, Devoted Challenge, 2 Handed Weapon, Deadly Axe, Reckless Attacker, Potent Challenge, Focused Superiority, Shield Push,etc). 

If your DM respects your marks and you find yourself surrounded by mobs and are constantly using your surges and soaking up most of your leaders heals then you will want to chose feats, powers, pp that keep you alive.  (Dreadnought, Toughness, Dwarven Durability, Epic Recovery, Shielded Resurgence, Plate Armor, Plate Specialization, wield a shield, Uncanny Dodge, Robust Defenses, Epic Reflexes, Epic Will, etc). 

Obviously you can't take all the feats, and some of the feats are just considered so good that you will probably take them regardless of DM style (Devoted Challenge, Dwarven Durability, Toughness, Epic Recovery, etc). 

Feats and such that didn't make the cut (but maybe should have).

Offensive (and CC and OA)
Epic Resurgence
Shield Push (don't retrain)
Pinning Challenge (for 2 handers)
Potent Challenge (2 hander)
Staggering Challenge
Stonefoot Reprisal
Focused Superiority
Mobile Challenge
Hammer Rhythm (Hammer of course)
Staggering Challenge

Defensive
Martial Resolve (Probably not needed if you go Dreadnought)
Shielded Resurgence (earlier, I retrain for it at lvl 30)
Shield Defense (take a few more shield only powers)
Grit (anything that keys off of surge used is great in the build)
Stoneheart Warrior (some people like this, I don't really)
Mark of Warding (not really sure if you call it offensive or defensive, but its good for really tough tanks)

I'm sure I missed some, and I haven't added anything past Dragon 281, I think there are some nice shield powers in dragon 283.

Much luv and respect for lordduskblades Hard as a Rock : The Fighters Handbook.

Build: Guardian Fighter
Fighter Talents: One-handed Weapon Talent
Divine Spark: Divine Spark Strength
Divine Spark: Divine Spark Wisdom

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 27, Con 20, Dex 12, Int 12, Wis 24, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 17, Con 14, Dex 10, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 8.

AC: 49 Fort: 43 Reflex: 40 Will: 44
HP: 224 Surges: 16 Surge Value: 61

TRAINED SKILLS
Heal +27, Endurance +23, Athletics +24

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +12, Arcana +16, Bluff +15, Diplomacy +15, Dungeoneering +24, History +16, Insight +24, Intimidate +15, Nature +22, Perception +24, Religion +16, Stealth +12, Streetwise +15, Thievery +12

FEATS
Level 1: Dwarven Weapon Training
Level 2: Devoted Challenge
Level 4: Weapon Expertise (Axe)
Level 6: Toughness
Level 8: Armor Proficiency (Plate)
Level 10: Shield Push (retrained to Armor Specialization (Plate) at Level 11)
Level 11: Marked Scourge
Level 12: Dwarven Durability
Level 14: Wary Fighter
Level 16: Reckless Attacker
Level 18: Deadly Axe
Level 20: Uncanny Dodge (retrained to Epic Recovery at Level 21)
Level 21: Axe Mastery
Level 22: Robust Defenses
Level 24: Martial Mastery (retrained to Shielded Resurgence at Level 30)
Level 26: Epic Reflexes
Level 28: Epic Will
Level 30: Triumphant Attack

POWERS
Fighter at-will 1: Tide of Iron
Fighter at-will 1: Brash Strike
Fighter encounter 1: Passing Attack
Fighter daily 1: Comeback Strike
Fighter utility 2: Pass Forward
Fighter encounter 3: Sweeping Blow
Fighter daily 5: Rain of Steel
Fighter utility 6: Unbreakable
Fighter encounter 7: Come and Get It
Fighter daily 9: Thicket of Blades
Fighter utility 10: Mighty Surge
Fighter encounter 13: Giant's Wake (replaces Passing Attack)
Fighter daily 15: Unyielding Avalanche (replaces Comeback Strike)
Fighter utility 16: Bolstering Stride
Fighter encounter 17: Vorpal Tornado (replaces Sweeping Blow)
Fighter daily 19: Devastation's Wake (replaces Thicket of Blades)
Fighter utility 22: Battle Furor
Fighter encounter 23: Warrior's Urging (replaces Come and Get It)
Fighter daily 25: Ballista Charge (replaces Devastation's Wake)
Fighter encounter 27: Cruel Reaper (replaces Giant's Wake)
Fighter daily 29: Force the Battle (replaces Rain of Steel)

ITEMS
Heavy Shield, Boots of Eagerness (heroic tier), Reaper's Axe Waraxe +6, Iron Armbands of Power (epic tier), Cloak of the Walking Wounded +6, Golden Ring of Teros (epic tier), Helm of Ghostly Defense (epic tier), Solitaire (Aquamarine) (paragon tier), Stone of Earth (paragon tier), Shadow Band (epic tier), Foe Caller Gauntlets (epic tier), Sash of Vitality Ceaseless (paragon tier), Backlash Tattoo (heroic tier), Godplate Armor of Durability +6
Unlike the other one, this build does need Tide of Iron.

Also I'd retrain Focused Superiority for Armor Spec: Plate at 11th.  Fighter OAs are crippling enough to discourage enemies from provoking them, and rare enough so as to make a damage boost not worth it.
I think I got them confused when I made them.  My goal was just to make both versions (hammer and axe) and compare them, then it got bigger and I decided I would post them to benefit others from the work I had done.  I'll fix at wills and switch the feats.
I await the updates.

Until then, I'll be linking this to the Handbook. Thanks for stepping up.
I'm a bit surprised that a heavy Wis pit-fighter build would not make room for marked scourge. Adding Wis to damage once is nice. Adding it to damage twice is better. If nothing else, I would think on trading devoted challenge for it.

Getting Wis to hit and damage on CC attacks is spiffy. But getting Wis to damage on one attack every round is better. You probably don't get a CC attack every round, but you will get the marked scourge damage most rounds.
I'm a bit surprised that a heavy Wis pit-fighter build would not make room for marked scourge. Adding Wis to damage once is nice. Adding it to damage twice is better. If nothing else, I would think on trading devoted challenge for it.

Getting Wis to hit and damage on CC attacks is spiffy. But getting Wis to damage on one attack every round is better. You probably don't get a CC attack every round, but you will get the marked scourge damage most rounds.

There's no level 11 feat listed on the build, and I'm sure that's what it's supposed to be.

There's no level 11 feat listed on the build, and I'm sure that's what it's supposed to be.

Thats correct, I accidently editted it out, Marked Scourge is the lvl 11 feat, thats for the catch.

FEATS
Level 1: Dwarven Weapon Training
Level 2: Devoted Challenge
Level 4: Weapon Expertise (Axe)
Level 6: Toughness
Level 8: Armor Proficiency (Plate)
Level 10: Focused Superiority (retrained to Armor Specialization (Plate) at Level 11)
Level 11: Marked Scourge
Level 12: Deadly Axe
Level 14: Dwarven Durability
Level 16: Reckless Attacker
Level 18: Wary Fighter
Level 20: Improved Initiative (retrained to Martial Mastery at Level 21)
Level 21: Axe Mastery
Level 22: Robust Defenses
Level 24: Epic Resurgence
Level 26: Epic Reflexes
Level 28:Epic Will
Level 30: Triumphant Attack

POWERS
Fighter at-will 1: Tide of Iron
Fighter at-will 1: Brash Strike
Fighter encounter 1: Passing Attack
Fighter daily 1: Comeback Strike
Fighter utility 2: Pass Forward
Fighter encounter 3: Sweeping Blow
Fighter daily 5: Rain of Steel
Fighter utility 6: Unbreakable
Fighter encounter 7: Come and Get It
Fighter daily 9: Thicket of Blades
Fighter utility 10: Mighty Surge
Fighter encounter 13: Giant's Wake (replaces Passing Attack)
Fighter daily 15: Unyielding Avalanche (replaces Comeback Strike)
Fighter utility 16: Bolstering Stride
Fighter encounter 17: Vorpal Tornado (replaces Sweeping Blow)
Fighter daily 19: Devastation's Wake (replaces Thicket of Blades)
Fighter utility 22: Battle Furor
Fighter encounter 23: Warrior's Urging (replaces Come and Get It)
Fighter daily 25: Time to Die (replaces Devastation's Wake)
Fighter encounter 27: Cruel Reaper (replaces Giant's Wake)
Fighter daily 29: Force the Battle (replaces Rain of Steel)

Time to Die (L25 daily) requires a 2-handed weapon. 

Deadly Axe is not particularly good at Paragon levels unless you have a way to get a 19-20 critical range (like a Jagged Waraxe) or you have a Bloodiron Waraxe to deal the damage twice.  Consider pushing up Dwarven Durability and the other Paragon feats and delaying Deadly Axe unless you want to specifically mention that the build should take one of these.  This build probably relies less on Brash Strike than your Hammer build, but Uncanny Dodge would still be worthwhile.  Improved Initiative is probably overkill when you already have Wary Fighter, even for 1 level.  Consider Martial Resolve in epic.

This build is missing a tatoo- Backlash Tatoo and Eager Hero Tatoo are both possibilities. 
ai-menu!

Love menu? :p

Sorry, you kicked over my giggle box(ai is japanese for love). 
ElricEN- Thanx for the correction and suggestions, I was thinking that jagged would be good to grab, but I went ahead and moved the feats around so that it is let weapon dependent.
Major Edits, as I couldn't actually bear to play the previous build.  (Con and Wis too low).
How good is Wary Fighter? Is initiative really important enough to spend a feat on?
I think it is.  As a fighter you want to go before melee enemies and tie them up.  Either taking a position between them and your party or simply engaging them away from your parties range.  Improved Initiative is always one of the powers that I try to sneak in if I have a free spot and wary fighter is just better than II.

If its not that important to you or your play style (or you have a great controller that will slow or immobilize the melee enemies) than take something else, there are so many feats that I want to take in this build but can't fit them in.
Maybe you could provide a list of alternative feats. I'm sure everyone would be interested in seeing what didn't quite make the cut.
done.