Can you play lands like "Dimir Aqueduct" in your first turn?

13 posts / 0 new
Last post

"Dimir Aqueduct"

Dimir Aqueduct enters the battlefield tapped.

When Dimir Aqueduct enters the battlefield, return a land you control to its owner's hand.

Tap: Add BlueBlack to your mana pool.

Can you play this card in your first turn, when you don't have any lands in play,  or does that violate against the card's criterion?

I have another question. Is it possible to use your mana, then return a tapped land you control to it´s owners hand in order to play "Dimir Aqueduct"?

I have been wondering this for a very long time. I´ve also spent hours searching the web for an answer, but in vain. I think you are allowed to use the card this way, but that makes the card way too superb in my opinion!

Please enlighten me!

Lukas Dahlgren
Sweden  

Can you play this card in your first turn, when you don't have any lands in play,  or does that violate against the card's criterion?

Yes, you can play it. Dimir aqueduct has no unusual restrictions for when you can play it.

However, as always, when the aqueduct enters the battlefield, its ability triggers. When the ability resolves, you must follow its instruction and return a land you control to its owner's hand. Dimir aqueduct is a land you control, so if you have no other lands, you must return it to your hand.
I have another question. Is it possible to use your mana, then return a tapped land you control to it´s owners hand in order to play "Dimir Aqueduct"?

Dimir aqueduct can return any land to your hand. It does not have to be an untapped land. Contrast this with the Karoo lands, which specify that the land you return must be untapped.

P.S, in the future you should post stuff like this in Rules Q&A, the parent of this forum. The "Rules Issues" subforum deals with topics such as whether the rules can or should be changed.
Thanks a lot cyphern, for a very good answer and the fast reply. Smile

I realized that I probably had posted this thread in the wrong forum right after I had sent it. My bad, and it won´t happen again.

Once again, thank you! You have saved me from a sleepless night ^^

Good day to both of you.

Can i actually have 2 mana in my first turn using Dimir Acueduct? For examle, if i got Dimir Infiltrator and no other lands in my hand.

Thanks. 
Good day to both of you.

Can i actually have 2 mana in my first turn using Dimir Acueduct? For examle, if i got Dimir Infiltrator and no other lands in my hand.

Thanks. 

Hardly. Dimir Aqueduct enters the battlefield tapped, so you can't tap it for mana before it returns itself to your hand.

[<o>]
Good day to both of you.

Thanks. 

No.  The Aqueduct comes into play tapped, so you can't tap it for mana on your first turn.  And, as noted above, if you have no other lands on the battlefield, you must return the Aqueduct for its ability.

Good day to both of you.

Thanks. 

If you'll note the date stamps on the posts above yours, you'll see that this thread is over a year old. It's generally better to post a new thread than bump an old one.

To answer your question, Dimir Aqueduct and the other Ravnica bouncelands enter the battlefield tapped, just like they say they do. Unless you find some way of untapping them, there's no way you're going to be able to use them for mana the turn you drop them. And as described above, if you drop it first turn it's simply going to bounce itself back to your hand right away, wasting your land drop.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

Good day to both of you.

Thanks. 

1) don't necro year old threads, make a new one
2) the land enters tapped so you won't be able to use it to generate any mana unless you have some way to untap it
3) it will return itself to your hand if you have no other lands to return instead of it

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

I see. thank you. i'll try to be more acurate next time and will try not to "necro" anymore.
Thanks!

P.S. i was just looking at Amulet of Vigor and the question should be asked following way:

Can i get 2 mana out of Dimir aqueduct if i control Amulet of Vigor and i choose to return Dimir aqueduct upon it's trigger resolving.

I'm sorry for all the crap, it's one of my first internet posts in my life :/

Can i get 2 mana out of Dimir aqueduct if i control Amulet of Vigor and i choose to return Dimir aqueduct upon it's trigger resolving. 

Yes.

In order to do so, you must put dimir aqueduct's ability on the stack first, with amulet of vigor's ability on the stack on top. Amulet of vigor's ability will resolve first, untapping the land. Then, you respond by activating the aqueduct to produce . Finally, the aqueduct's ability resolves and returns it to your hand.

Yes, with Amulet of Vigor you can order the abilities such as that first you untap the land, then tap it to get your , and just then return it to your hand. Then you can play your Dimir Infiltrator.

[<o>]
Thanks, i'll bother you no more.
Thanks, i'll bother you no more.

just to let you know...
we don't mind your questions
don't read any animosity into our responses (you broke the forum guidelines and we're just letting you know)
if you're new to posting here, you may want to check out the Forum FAQ thread and the Before Posting thread to find out the guidelines

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Sign In to post comments