Made a 3.5 Encounter Chart - Take a Look

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Alright I made two encounter charts that are EL 6. One for Temperate Plains, and one for Temperate Forests.

I'd like people to be able to see them and give me comments, because I'm going to try and continue and make them.

Temperate Forests
EL 6
RollName CRRollAvg EL
(01-04)Black Bear2d24
(05-08)Dire Badger 2d3+25
(09-11)Pegasus3d35
(12-15)Centaur3d3+16
(16-21)Monstrous Spiders--6
(22-25)Krenshar1d4+56
(26-29)Satyr 2d4+26
(30-36)Dire Wolf3d3+16
(37-41)Giant Wasp3d3+16
(42-45)Werewolf3d3+16
(46-47)Unicorn3d3+26
(48-54)Dire Boar4d36
(55-58)Wereboar4d36
(59-65)Owlbear4d36
(66-70)Tendriculos6-6
(71-77)Wolf1d3+67
(78-84)Boar 2d4+47
(85-89)Giant Owl3d3+27
(90-93)Giant Stag Beetle4d3+17
(94-95)Treant8-8
(96-97)Green Dragon-1-
(98-00)Undead Chart---
Spider Chart
(01-15)Small1/2d6+65
(16-40)Medium1d6+36
(41-65)Large2d4+26
(66-90)Huge5d26
(91-00)Gargantuan8-8
Dragon Chart
(01-35)Young5-5
(36-00)Juvenile8-8

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Temperate Plains
EL 6
RollName CRRollAvg EL
(01-05)Pony1/4d2-
(06-15)Giant Bee1/2d6+65
(16-27)Giant Ant, Worker 1d6+36
(28-40)Worg2d4+26
(41-53)Cockatrice3d3+16
(54-65)Giant Ant, Soldier 2d4+26
(66-75)Locust Swarm3d3+16
(76-80)Horses, Herd15d68
(81-88)Gorgon818
(89-93)Bison25d69
(94-98)Undead Chart---
(99-00)Meteor---
Wow those really didn't turn out to well, sorry.
Why? They don't look that bad on first sight...
I'm a bit curious how you chose some of these, and how you decided how common to make them.  For example, why did you chose to include ponies and horses in the Plains table?  Pretty much everything else was a creature that could either be a real threat or a possible benefit (like the unicorn in the forest).  I'd also perhaps reduce the Meteor to just a roll of 00, right now it's about as 40% as common as encountering ponies.  If you want to use an "environmental encounter" like Meteors, I'd include things like a wildfire, hailstorm, tornado, lightning storm, flash flood, as well as put some into your forest table.

You might also want to look at the Monster Filter which allows you to search for monsters from the SRD based on environments, max/min CR, alignment, etc. 
I've been working on charts like these as well - depending on areas and such. I even went so far as to include a seperate chart for weather - and its effect on the encounter table.

Like while in a tropical jungle, when it Storms, movement is slowed by 20 to a minimum of 5, and the chance for a random encounter is reduced to 1/4 of normal. (From 8% to 2% chance).

Its an enormous undertaking, thats all I'll say. The hardest part is ALL the creatures and placing them within the proper list at the proper EL.

Not to mention when you can encounter more than one creature.

The EL's available for the different numbers of Goblins *Cringes*

*walks away talking to self about wiether or not you could technically encounter a land based creature in a flying encounter due to the fact that the land based creature has an item that allows temporary flight in its magical item awards.*
Isn't slowing movement by 20 a bit excessive?
Show

IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_isblack.jpg)Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
Adopt one today! Adopt one today! Adopt one today!
Its for Typhoon in a tropical jungle.
Ah, thought storms meant a normal thunderstorm.
Show

IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_isblack.jpg)Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
Adopt one today! Adopt one today! Adopt one today!
Well you see if I include creatures like ponies, herds of bison, and herds of horses it makes it seem more realistic(Not that D&D is completely realistic), but not everything you come across should be a threat. It gives PC's a chance to interact with these creatures. Like a Druid or Ranger may want to befriend the animal and such, adding more roleplaying for these creatures.

Forest Fires just seem to bizarre to me, that means everytime the PC's travel through that area, they're going to find hundreds of square feet of burnt woods. They just seem a little dramatic(although realistic)

I did mess up a little bit with the percentages, but I'm new to this and have been revising them
Yeah I just wasnt being very clear - sorry - Tropical Storm. Plain old Rainfall still affected speed and encounter chance as well but by minimal amounts.

And I agree Atzaru - Friendly Encounters are still encounters - for all you know the characters might be blood thirsty, in need of provisions, who knows what - and that herd of gazelle is actually a god send in disguise as a non hostile encounter.

In one campaign we played in our group was on the Talenta Plains, well we came across a herd of Herbivore Dinosaurs. Our grp actually succeeded in killing a Brachiosaur and filled our coffers with what we could carry (quite a bit), and then took off when predators started to show up. (Took too long because of how much we could carry and nearly got mowed down by a pair of big baddies)

All kinds of encounters have thier place in a D&D campaign.
Sign In to post comments