New Adventure Database Site - GamerClubHouse.com

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey all,

I wanted to let everyone know I've launched a module database and review site at GamerClubHouse.com

The site will give you the ability to filter by region, and we're adding new features all the time.  Love to hear any comments you've got, I've started a community for the site here at community.wizards.com/gch

Tim Rayburn
aka DM Tim of Radio Free Hommlet
A D&D Fourth Edition Podcast
I signed up as a member.

So to make this work, I will enter all item rewards and short module reviews for the East Rift region.  I will try and do this for all of 2010.

Good luck with the site.
I added a review of WATE1-6. I noticed that the site can time out. I logged in with a separate tab window, then used my back button and Firefox still had the info.

Also, it would be nice to have an edit button to edit a review that you have written, in case you want to modify the review later.

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

I'm not sure how the openID system works--I've been logging in with my Yahoo ID and it seems to leave the reviews that I have posted unsigned. Is there a way for users of yahoo or google IDs to tie their reviews to a username?
I'm not sure how the openID system works--I've been logging in with my Yahoo ID and it seems to leave the reviews that I have posted unsigned. Is there a way for users of yahoo or google IDs to tie their reviews to a username?

I think if you login with google/yahoo and then click on the "profile" tab you can change your info and then save it.

I think if you login with google/yahoo and then click on the "profile" tab you can change your info and then save it.

That did it. Thanks.

Ah, I had the same question. Thanks, for the tip.

-------- Don (Greyson) --------

Non-smoker, White, Non-golfer, U.S.-American

The site might benefit from a faq tab on the name page near the home/mods/about/profile/community etc section.  
Minor nitpick: If you want to use official terminology, you should realize that Organized Play does not use the term "module" or "scenario". They use the word adventure ;)

Other than that it looks cool...
A suggestion: it would be nice to have a few more organizational tools involving the module ratings.

Right now, you list modules by level range and by region. It would be nice to also have an option to list modules by average rating.

Likewise, I think it would be useful to be able to see the average rating next to each module in the overall module list.

The ratings are not infallible, but the do seem like a very useful tool and it would be good to be able to look for modules with high ratings rather than to have to look up specific modules to see how they are rated.
Organizing by challenge level could be cool as well. And, if I get crankin', it would be cool to see some stats, such as average rating (for everything, by tier, for a region) and average challenge level (same).

As someone else noted, any review without a rating should not then be used to evaluate the average, unless it was a deliberate selection of 0 stars. I would argue 1 star is low enough and all none-selections should not be used in the average.

Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

Organizing by challenge level could be cool as well. And, if I get crankin', it would be cool to see some stats, such as average rating (for everything, by tier, for a region) and average challenge level (same).

As someone else noted, any review without a rating should not then be used to evaluate the average, unless it was a deliberate selection of 0 stars. I would argue 1 star is low enough and all none-selections should not be used in the average.

I know I rated a mod at one star because it seemed that zero stars would easily be mistaken for a non-rating.

Also, it would probably be good to define exactly what you are looking for in the ratings. I have been rating mods for tactical challenge on a scale of 1 to 5 stars with one being bad and 5 being ideal. Thus, I gave Corm 1-1 two stars for tactical challenge because its combats are too easy to be as much fun as they should be, but I gave Adap 1-1 one star for tactical challenge because the encounters are all hexer-cloud filled grindfests. It was a lot more challenging than Corm 1-1, but mechanically, it was actually further away from ideal than Corm 1-1 was.

Where I forsee the need for some kind of explanatory note to hopefully get all reviews on the same page is if you add an option to organize by, for instance tactical challenge. When you phrase it that way, one might expect that the most challenging mods will all show up at the top, but that is not actually how I (or, I suspect, many others) have been rating modules for tactical challenge and someone who sees that Spec 1-1 got a higher tactical challenge rating from me than Spec 1-2 or 1-3 can expect to see might be surprised to find that it is the easiest of the three adventures rather than the most challenging. (IMO, it is the closest to the ideal).
Good point. Challenge 5 could be awesome or could be as hard as they come. My personal interpetation would be that it is how enjoyable it was, but I can see the need for it to be clear.

One other thing that I've been thinking about a bit: How to rate a lame (or really awesome--if such a thing exists) skill challenge?

I've been including the skill challenges in the tactical challenge section unless their mechanics actively detract from the story, but I'm not sure how other people have been doing it? Use story as a rating for all non-combat content? Not include skill challenges in any numerical rankings but mention them in the text of the review?
For me (just for me), a SC is by default not challenging but more of a backstory. That would not affect my rating in any way, being the default. If a mod had a challenging (in a good way) SC, then that would impact it positively (if the intended scale is good-bad), or negatively if it is unfair. There isn't as huge a range of options as in combats, where challenge can come in many ways/forms.

What do others think? What is a good way to measure them?

I can't seem to read the text of reviews, just the summaries.

What am I doing wrong?

Currently to read reviews you need to be logged in, and go to your profile and enable the Spoilers checkbox.  That will be changing in the next version of the site.

Tim

Currently to read reviews you need to be logged in, and go to your profile and enable the Spoilers checkbox.  That will be changing in the next version of the site.

Tim

Ah. Thank you.

Would it be possible to include the average ratings on the Module Lists pages? For example, on gamerclubhouse.com/Module.aspx/ByLevel/H... I'd like to be able to see the tactical and story ratings and maybe a number for reviewing players/dms.

Example: ADAP 1-1 (H1) 2 2 4/3

What made me think of this is that I'd like to order a series, and as such, getting a fast overall picture for a series would provide a better starting place, then I could go into the detailed reviews for the modules in that series and see if that fits my needs.
I signed up. Great site!

http://www.enworld.org

Stop by and say hi!

Looks like the new DDXP adventures need to be added to the site. I really enjoyed the adventures I played at the con.

New update to the site, lots of cool new features.  Modules will be added once I can get the PDFs for them, which I do not have since I did not run at DDXP.

Tim
Sign In to post comments