DEATH SAVING THROWS

13 posts / 0 new
Last post

Can someone please explain with example how exactly this works?  I realize that if you fail three times, you die.  However, what is meant by 10-19 nothing happens?  Does that mean you don't count it as part of the three before death, and you get to roll again on your turn?  Does it mean that you stabilize, and are simply unconcious waiting for healing or resting?

I don't have the exact quote or page number, but basically when you reach 0 hit points, you fall unconscious and make death saving throws at the end of your turn. if you roll 10-19, nothing happens. if you roll 1-9, you fall 1 step closer to dying. if you roll 1-9 three times before you can heal or are stabilized, you die. If you roll a 20 on a death saving throw, you may spend a healing surge. if you take enough damage to reach your negative bloodied value, then you die regardless of how many saving throws you've failed.
Rigth, but it's this "nothing happens" that has me confused.  Does that mean you're stable at less than zero, and do nothing more?  Or do you just not get one step closer to death that turn, and then you must make another save on your next turn?  Example:  You fail on the first two rolls.  The third time, you roll a 15.  Are you stable, or do you get to make another save attempt on your next turn?

Can someone please explain with example how exactly this works?  I realize that if you fail three times, you die.  However, what is meant by 10-19 nothing happens?  Does that mean you don't count it as part of the three before death, and you get to roll again on your turn?  Does it mean that you stabilize, and are simply unconcious waiting for healing or resting?

This (the bold part).

Returned from hiatus; getting up to speed on 5e rules lawyering.

"nothing happens" means nothing happens.  9- is a failure, 20+ is a special kind of success that lets you recover, 10-19 is "wait a turn and try again".

Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.
Damage types and resistances: A working house rule.
Weird, I just go by the text in my HB does not seem to agree with your reading
PHB pg 295.

Lower than 10: You slip one step closer to death. If you get this result three times before you take a rest, you die.
10–19: No change.
20 or higher: Spend a healing surge...

THe difference is you seem to be seeing nothing happens, when this explicitly says no change, which means your condition remains unchanged.
a few things.  IF your roll equals 20 or higher then you go to 0 spend a healing surge and regain consicencese.  If you have a bonus to all saving throws(such as from stubborn survior) then you add that to your roll.

Next your death marks stay until your have a short rest. 

So if you fail two deaths saving throws then get healing to get up.  You go back down in the same encounter and fail 1 death saving throw then your still dead dead
Next your death marks stay until your have a short rest. 

So if you fail two deaths saving throws then get healing to get up.  You go back down in the same encounter and fail 1 death saving throw then your still dead dead.

Is it a short rest or an extended rest? I always thought it was an extended rest but I could quite easily be wrong.

Is it a short rest or an extended rest? I always thought it was an extended rest but I could quite easily be wrong.

The death saves last until your next "rest", without specifying a type.  Both short and extended rests are rests.
Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.
Did it used to specify an extended rest? You're clearly correct on the language, which I just checked in the compendium, but for some reason I was thinking extended.
Did it used to specify an extended rest? You're clearly correct on the language, which I just checked in the compendium, but for some reason I was thinking extended.

The original wording in the first-printed PHB is "if you get this result three times before you take a rest..."

So no.  It was never "extended rest", unless that was what was intended and leaked and then changed pre-release.

I will also back this up that is was always like this.  We had to check on this early in our 4th edition career.

If you didn't get it back till after extended rest players would be dying all the time or your players would be taking extended rest after every battle or to

Fair enough. No idea why I thought it was an extended rest. The difference has never come up in the campaign I run thankfully =)