Shambling Swarm vs Marsh Flitter

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, it's Josh's turn. He has a Shambling Swarm in play. I have Marsh Flitter and a 1/1 goblin token. If Josh sacrifices his Shambling Swarm, and puts two counters on Marsh Flitter and 1 on the goblin, then I sacrifice the goblin to make Marsh Flitter a 3/3, does she die at end of turn when she becomes a 1/1 again?

The question is, whose end of turn trigger happens first, the Shambling Swarm or Marsh Flitter's? In other words, do we remove the minus counters first, or does Marsh Flitter become a 1/1 first?

Cheers guys
The counters come off first.  Shambling Swarm's ability happens at the beginning of the end step.  Affects that last until the end of the turn (like Marsh Flitter's), go away during the cleanup step.
So, it's Josh's turn. He has a Shambling Swarm in play. I have Marsh Flitter and a 1/1 goblin token. If Josh sacrifices his Shambling Swarm, and puts two counters on Marsh Flitter and 1 on the goblin, then I sacrifice the goblin to make Marsh Flitter a 3/3, does she die at end of turn when she becomes a 1/1 again?

The question is, whose end of turn trigger happens first, the Shambling Swarm or Marsh Flitter's? In other words, do we remove the minus counters first, or does Marsh Flitter become a 1/1 first?

Cheers guys

1: He can't just sacrifice Shambling Swarm just because he wants to, but let's assume for the moment that he also has a Nantuko Husk or something which will allow him to do so.

The counters are removed "at the beginning of the next end step."  This is a triggered ability which triggers, as it says, at the beginning of the end step.

The Marsh Flitter's ability, on the other hand, lasts "until end of turn."  This isn't a trigger, but a duration.  This ability will "wear off" during the cleanup step, at the same time as when damage is removed and other "this turn" and "until end of turn" effects cease to function.  The cleanup step is the second step of the Ending phase, the end step is the first.  So the counters will already be gone before the faerie reverts to a 1/1.
MTG Rules Advisor since 2007-06-27. Amateur MTG rules nerd since forever. Download the official rules and more at wizards.com/magic/rules -[ IronMagus' New Marketplace Trade Thread ]- 100+ completed trades!
Sign In to post comments