1/6/2010 StF: "Writing Comics"

16 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's Savor the Flavor, which goes live Wednesday on magicthegathering.com.

What's the magic ingredient for making the dialogue cringeworthy? I assume this must be some complicated and deliberate proccess.
Would'nt the "just do what you think is cool" part of your answer to the letter make for an awesome column topic? You hint at a correlation between that "free" pieces and iconic magic art. Please elaborate!
"Thinking visually" is a skill that I am still working to cultivate as well, so I hear you on that, Doug.

Something that hasn't been mentioned regarding Fortune Thief / Ali from Cairo:  They are wearing more or less the same hat as well, although Fortune Thief's hat has seen better days.
What's the card beside Verdant Force?

I'm curious to know the connection...
^ Verdant Embrace .... the connection between the two should be pretty obvious ....

I also was looking through the article for how they made the dialogue so terrible.  Some of the more recent comics have had decently interesting plots, but still the first thing that comes to mind when I think of the web comics is terrible dialogue (actually, that's true of Magic novels as well).
^
It's cuz Beyer thinks stuff like this "green isn't supposed to be too intellectual anyway"

So he has to make Garruk say stuff like "Lets do this!" to show how stupid and green he is.

I mean really? You're allowed to be smart and be green, it is all about what you place value on. Having a certain threshold of brain synapses doesn't suddenly make you blue if you aren't all that interested in acquiring knowledge.
Great article! But...

... I have to agree with the other posters, reading this was like watching a great behind the scenes documentary on the DVD of a so-so movie.

And I love seeing little nods and homages in card art and names, and would also love to hear more about "art-first" cards. Pretty sure I remember reading that Cosmic Larva was done this way, but I'd like to read about more.
Proud member of C.A.R.D. - Campaign Against Rare Duals "...but the time has come when lands just need to be better. Creatures have gotten stronger, spells have always been insane, and lands just sat in this awkward place of necessity." Jacob Van Lunen on the refuge duals, 16 Sep 2009. "While it made thematic sense to separate enemy and allied color fixing in the past, we have come around to the definite conclusion that it is just plain incorrect from a game-play perspective. This is one of these situations where game play should just trump flavor." - Sam Stoddard on ending the separation of allied/enemy dual lands. 05 July 2013
I think it's funny that according to the article the comics are being well received, and the majority of posts above this one indicate the opposite. Sorry, but I'm not paying $15 for something that's already free and runs the gamut between midly entertaining to face-palm territory.
"They [the web team] also hook it up to a message board thread..."

Not lately, they don't.  The last several comics haven't been linked to their message board threads, if the threads even exist.  And the archive doesn't appear to have any of the message board links for any of the comics, even the ones that were linked to their threads originally.
I think it's funny that according to the article the comics are being well received, and the majority of posts above this one indicate the opposite. Sorry, but I'm not paying $15 for something that's already free and runs the gamut between midly entertaining to face-palm territory.

Granted it could be something like Ron Moore's Battlestar Galactica (but in the opposite), which had wretched Nielson ratings but an insane online fanbase plus the DVD's sell like crack-infused pancakes. The people that love the comics just aren't in the forums I guess.

Another example is Legions (I believe...), the all creature set? If you listened to the online community it's the worst set ever, but according to WOTC it's one of their top selling sets of all time.
Proud member of C.A.R.D. - Campaign Against Rare Duals "...but the time has come when lands just need to be better. Creatures have gotten stronger, spells have always been insane, and lands just sat in this awkward place of necessity." Jacob Van Lunen on the refuge duals, 16 Sep 2009. "While it made thematic sense to separate enemy and allied color fixing in the past, we have come around to the definite conclusion that it is just plain incorrect from a game-play perspective. This is one of these situations where game play should just trump flavor." - Sam Stoddard on ending the separation of allied/enemy dual lands. 05 July 2013
Another example is Legions (I believe...), the all creature set? If you listened to the online community it's the worst set ever, but according to WOTC it's one of their top selling sets of all time.

People liked legions?
That's what I'm saying, mention it online and people bust out the pitchforks and torches, but according to WOTC, it's near the top of the charts in sales. *Somebody* out there likes it (and as a fan of Slivers, you can count me as one of those people).
^ Verdant Embrace .... the connection between the two should be pretty obvious ....

Thanks. :-)

Seems like I missed a lot of cool stuff in the Time Spiral set.
Personally, I felt this article was quite successful in that it acnowledged the learning process of writing comics. I got the sense that Beyer recognizes and understands that the early efforts were less sophisticated (to put it kindly...) than the later works. And, let's be fair, the comics have definitely been improving in quality from the abyssmal Flight of the White Cat to the quite enjoyable comics of late.

The dialogue still tends to be pretty facepalm inducing, though. >_>

@Milo Bloom:

I suppose that's a possibility, although I certainly have some serious doubts about whether or not his statement is true... although those comments he makes about the massive popularity of so-and-so tend to be so generalized and sweeping that it's impossible to take them too seriously. What is he looking at? Sales figures? They can't be in yet. Hits? That doesn't indicate that people like something, only that they're looking at it. Fan mail? That's hardly a precice measure of anything. No, without more information I think we can just safely roll our eyes at that statement.

And besides, when it comes right down to it, popularity still doesn't indicate whether something is successful artistically, just that people with poor taste will buy tasteless items. See: Thomas Kinkaid and Jackson Pollack.

(Incidentally, I can see what people like in Legions, but it still irritates me for reasons most players probably don't care about--there's just an overwhelming sameness to the art that really gets old after a while. Same thing that bugs me about Mirrodin, really.)
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.

I like writing.  I like comics.

Thank you:-)

I'm still wondering though:  Do the writers even see posts...older than 1 week in age?