1/5/2010 SF: "Group Game Draft"

11 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's Serious Fun, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.

"You do not pass a Breath of Malfegor," and nobody ever ended up with multiples to use.

If memory serves I opened two and got passed one in an early conflux draft.  I just never drew multiples.
This is the happy swamp. Love it. I am red/blue, I think logically and act impulsively.
I guess if you really want a double rumble, you have to put one of them in your sideboard and hope to draw the other.

I'd love to get off an infinite Banefire at someone and then rumble every card in my sideboard out at once...
Wow, everything on the site is about drafting today - maybe they're still trying to encourage us to buy packs. I get a bit bored hearing about drafting though. If I'm going to use any packs at all it would be for sealed, not drafting. Sealed doesn't get as much love.

Hi, with the drafting scene having died off at my local shop (only 5-6 people kept showing up) this is something i might be interested in getting set up (since that would be the appropriate number of players). One big game is less time consuming than several swiss rounds, and we actually have a few friends new to magic, this seems perfect.

My question is, how is prize support handled? I'm assuming thats what the shop owner will ask me. (since he himself isn't very knowledgable about magic itself)

The only thing i can seem to think is the last two left at the table would be first and second place while the first person eliminated would get a single pack (we try to handle something like this to encourage new players to keep playing and trying).

Thanks in advance

i'm a fan of both sealed and draft, and i bet this would be just as fun, if slower (some people like slower games though).

in general this looks really fun. i am definitely going to try this out with my cube.
We have a small group of players, and we frequently run drafts in this kind of format, because we seldom have more than 4 or 5 in a draft.  4 packs, games are FFA.  We've never tried that Rumble Rule.  Sounds fun though.  One other twist that our group sometimes does is to play "Pai-Gow" in this format.  Draft four packs.  You must make two decks, and you roll or flip a coin to determine what deck you will use. 

Hi, with the drafting scene having died off at my local shop (only 5-6 people kept showing up) this is something i might be interested in getting set up (since that would be the appropriate number of players). One big game is less time consuming than several swiss rounds, and we actually have a few friends new to magic, this seems perfect.

My question is, how is prize support handled? I'm assuming thats what the shop owner will ask me. (since he himself isn't very knowledgable about magic itself)

The only thing i can seem to think is the last two left at the table would be first and second place while the first person eliminated would get a single pack (we try to handle something like this to encourage new players to keep playing and trying).

Thanks in advance

Part of the prize support is tied up in the packs.  Generally what I've seen is two packs for the winner of a four player game and three packs for the winner of the six player game.  Remember, you're drafting four packs - that additional pack has to come from the same price, hence "reduced" prize support.  The goal is more fun than "win packs to repeat another draft for free."
Adam Styborski Writer for Serious Fun Follow me on Twitter: twitter.com/the_stybs
Great article. We normally play PackWars Multiplayer with Planechase. We do 2 packs however instead of 1 because Leethe Lake (mill 10 cards planechase) kills people too quickly with a 40 card deck. It works out well because you generally have to rely on the planechase cards themselves more then your random deck.

We will try this format it seems fun especially the rumble rule. Thanks again.

Joe
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.

Thanks in advance

I'm part of Adam's Thursday night group and GGD is my favorite format.  Prize support is usually 1/2 a pack per player.  So 2 packs for 4 players and 3 packs for 6 players.  Winner takes all, because politics and alliances is such a large factor in GGD.  We want everyone to play for the win.  It's a good format for beginners because it's slower and people will often help with card evaluation and play.  The more experienced players start with a target on their head from the beginning so the newer players can usually hang back for a bit.  The main thing is you don't want to be so weak that the other players use you to rack up their rumble points.  Those few points of damage in the early turns hurt more than in a 2 player game.

Adam wrote about it but I want to further elaborate how different card evaluation is in GGD.  Besides the dynamics of playing a group game, card evaluation is the next hardest part of GGD.  It's difficult to strike a balance between early defense and late game bombs.  I've found instants and sorceries go down in value compared to any creature with a repeatable tap effect or activated ability.  People generally don't want to use spot removal on a small utility creature, unless it's getting out of control.  So you have several turns to use the ability.

another note on prize support, I dunno if it's always the case (especially with zendikar) but in the group drafts i've been part of the first person out was entitled to the basics and tokens from the packs opened for the draft.  Call it a booby prize, but I appreciated them when I lost my first draft.
This is the happy swamp. Love it. I am red/blue, I think logically and act impulsively.