Getting into Extended. What is and isn't Good?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey everyone.  I'm Halo Lover from the Standard forums.  I usually play Standard, but my local store is probably going to begin some Extended Events.  Before I go out and buy cards, I need to know what is good and what is not good.  I'm thinking of using a Scapeshift Deck, but if you guys can give me a run down on what is and what isn't good that will be great.  I'm a quick learner, but autocarding cards so I know what they do will be great as I began in Shadowmoor and stopped until Conflux.  Thanks again guys.
Want to know how to keep a moron busy? Reread this sentence to find out!
Zoo and Tezz-Gifts are the top decks in the format.  There's a Zoo primer in the TC, and LSV wrote this article about Tezz-Gifts: strategy.channelfireball.com/featured-ar...

After that, there's several tier 1.5 decks.  Hypergenesis, All-In Red, Dredge, Dark Depths, Bant, and yes, the Scapeshift deck.  Burn, MWC, Affinity, various The Rock decks, and a variety of Blue control decks also see some play.

As for Scapeshift, I personally feel that it is one of the best decks in the format.  It has a positive matchup against both Zoo and Gifts, and boasts solid matchups against most of the rest of the field as well.  I would be prepared for hate if you decide to play it, though, as it seems to be catching on. 

mntwins basically summed up the format, but whatever you go with, make sure you test before you buy it. Thopter is a solid deck and is certainly Tier 1, but if you havent tested your going to lose alot of games that you should have won.
also, dont be afraid to branch out to lesser played decks or edit the more common decks as you see fit.

Thanks for the help you guys.  I'm going to put up an Extended Forum Tournament to help me get the hang of using these decks and to direct more traffic here.
Want to know how to keep a moron busy? Reread this sentence to find out!
in an unprepared meta, or against opponents unfamiliar with it, scapeshift is indeed one of the best choices you can go with. however, i still maintain the best deck in the format is anything involving thopter foundry ;)
i still maintain the best deck in the format is anything involving thopter foundry ;)

i agree with this statement, but if you do choose to go with a foundry deck, make sure you test alot. as good as that deck is, if you are unprepared you will lose. test every matchup, even the really easy ones. 
i still maintain the best deck in the format is anything involving thopter foundry ;)

i agree with this statement, but if you do choose to go with a foundry deck, make sure you test alot. as good as that deck is, if you are unprepared you will lose. test every matchup, even the really easy ones. 

Yeah, true.  However, an experienced player with a well tuned deck has answers to pretty much everything.  It's just so inherently strong.
If you are on a Budget, then Restore Balance is great, I've been playing it a lot recently and its a lot of fun.
Photobucket
Or, my personal favorites, Chronozoa, Double Sarkhon, and Tendril eggs.(None of which are competitive, but can have great sbs expect me to only play these or Isochron Control)
Real men hold shift. If everyone has their fingers in the pie, then someone is eating fingers.
Sign In to post comments