Drakkoth Race (PEACH)

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
First attempt at making a race, so I hope its a bit balanced.
Based it on the MM2 monster (which is thankfully medium-sized already).

Drakkoth.
Racial Traits:

Average Height: 6'2"-6'8"
Average Weight: 360-520 lbs.
------------------------------------------------------------
Ability Scores: +2 Strength, +2 Wisdom
Size: Medium
Speed: 7 squares
Vision: Low-Light
Languages: Common, Draconic
Skill Bonuses: +2 Intimidate, +2 Nature

Quadruped: You can carry 25% more weight than bipeds.
Stability: You can make a saving throw as a free action to avoid being knocked prone.
Reptilian: You count as a reptile for all purposes.
Venom Hiss: You have the Venom Hiss racial encounter power.

Venom HissRacial Attack
You hiss a steam of venomous saliva at your foes.
Encounter ♦ Poison
Minor - Close Blast 2
Target: Each enemy in blast
Attack: Strength +2 vs. Reflex, Constitution +2 vs. Reflex, or Dexterity +2 vs. Reflex
Hit: 1d8 + Dexterity modifier poison damage. Increases to +4 bonus and 2d8 + Dexterity modifier damage at 11th level, and to +6 bonus and 3d8 + Dexterity modifier damage at 21st level.
Special: When you create your character, choose Strength, Constitution, or Dexterity as the ability score you use when making attack rolls with this power. This choice remains throughout your character's life and does not change the power's other effects.

Racial Feats:
Heroic Tier:
Drakkoth Warrior:
Prerequisite: Drakkoth.
Effects: You gain proficiency with all axes and spears and you gain a +2 feat bonus to damage rolls with such weapons.

Improved Stability:
Prerequisites: Drakkoth, Stability racial feature.
Effects: You no longer take the speed penalty from wearing heavy armour.

Spit Venom:
Prerequisites: Drakkoth, Venom Hiss racial power.
Effects: You may opt to use Venom Hiss as a Ranged 10 attack instead.

Venom Roar:
Effects: Venom Hiss becomes Close Blast 4.

Vestigal Wings:
Prerequisites: Drakkoth. (mayeb dragonborn too?)
Effects: You gain a +5 feat bonus to skill checks made to jump or to reduce falling damage.

Paragon Tier:
Clinging Venom:
Effects: Each enemy hit by Venom Hiss takes ongoing 5 poison
damage (save ends) in addition to other effects.

Empowered Venom Hiss:
Effects: Venom Hiss uses D12s.

Weakening Venom:
Effects: Each enemy hit by Venom Hiss gains vunlerable 5 Poison.

Wings:
Prerequisites: Drakkoth. (Dragonborn?)
Effects: You gain a +10 feat bonus to jump checks, and you cannot receive more than 10 falling damage, regardless of the distance you fell.

Epic Tier:
Mighty Wings:
Prerequisites: Drakkoth. (Dragonborn?)
Effects: You gain a flying speed (hover) equal to your base land speed, and you cannot receive more than 10 falling damage, regardless of the distance you fell.
A nice start, but there are a few things that need fixing.  First, the racial power is currently only useful to melee builds.  This is a bad idea.  It's generally held that racial powers should be usable for all classes.  As is, ranged characters can't benefit from the racial power.  Admittedly, the MM or Dragon mag minotaur is like that, but that's why the forums generally don't like how the minotaur was handled, and why we expect PH3 to change it.  Second, the feat venom hiss needs minor editing.  Feats never grant free powers.  They allow you to swap one power for another, like multiclass feats.  (If you check Dragon mag, such as Ecology of the Dragonborn or Winning Races: Tieflings) you will find ways to swap class or race powers for other race powers, but that's it.  You don't get free powers.  Also, I'd rethink the Mighty Drakoth Rage line of feats.  Currently you need to invest in a lot of feats to get it, and the benefit replaces the benefit of earlier feats.  That's how 3.5 did things, not 4e.  In 4e, you'd be able to retrain the feat that's now obsolete.  As written, you can't do that.  (Example: Paragon Defenses and Robust defenses.  The first is paragon level and gets you +1 to defenses.  The second is epic and gives you +2 to defenses.  The two don't stack, so you get a net +2.  Paragon defenses isn't a prereq for robust defenses, so once you take robust defenses, you can retrain paragon defenses.  That's how 4e does it).

Aside from those breaks with convention, it looks good.  I like how you handled the quadraped aspect.  Looks like that's balanced.
Feats never grant free powers.

*cough* Channel Divinity *cough*

Anyway, I guess I can change the racial to Venom Hiss, leaving Drakkoth Rage as a utility power swap. Although Venom Hiss would probably need a slight buff as the racial power.
I stand corrected (and now I feel like an #$! for bolding the "never").  However, there is one huge difference between Channel Divinity and Venom Hiss.  Divinity feats give you a new option for Channel Divinity, but you can still use only one Channel Divinity per encounter.  Meanwhile, Venom Hiss gives you a new encounter power without removing an old one.  So Divinity feats give you a new option, but they don't give you extra powers per encounter.  Let's take level 1 as an example.  A 1st level cleric has 3 encounter powers (racial, level 1, and channel divinity).  A 1st level Drakkoth cleric who took your feat has 4 encounter powers (racial, level 1, channel divinity, and an extra racial).  A 1st level cleric who took a divinity feat still has 3 encounter powers (racial, level 1, and one of a few channel divinity powers).  This cleric has more options but is still limited to only 3 encounter powers per encounter.  So your counter example doesn't quite hold up, because divinity feats still don't grant access to extra powers per encounter - just more options.  Kind of like how wizards choose extra daily and utility powers but can't use extra.

Drakkoth rage as a feat utility power sounds like a good option.  Or you could capture it in race mechanics without being a power.  Like gaining temporary hit points when they use second wind or making an at-will attack when bloodied - those were favorite ideas of mine for races.  Or maybe temp hp on a crit?  That may be questionably balanced, when it comes to striker powers with an expanded crit range.  Or maybe just a racial feature that gives them a bonus to attacks whenever they have temp hp.  Again, that may be tough to balance.  It would make them excell as battlerager fighters (which I suppose they should), and party leaders are going to love to use their temp hp powers on them.
+2/+4/+6 is the old scaling convention for attack powers without the weapon or implement keyword. The new scaling convention is +3/+6/+9. Other than that, I think that the basic racial traits look okay if a bit underwhelming.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
Looking at the Drakkoth in the book they all have the ability to recover hit points as they attack. Maybe that needs to be included somewhere.
Looking at the Drakkoth in the book they all have the ability to recover hit points as they attack. Maybe that needs to be included somewhere.

As a feat perhaps, but getting 10 THP/attack (same MM2) sounds a bit too strong to me, especially as a racial trait. I think that even 5 THP/Attack at heroic is a bit too strong (not to mention making some builds useless for this race). Consitution modifier will likewise clash with some builds, while being useless for other builds/classes. Unless I make it count only basic attacks, but who uses those except for opportunity attacks/charges or powers that count as such (again, could be too powerful)?

As for the +3/+6/+9 for the racial, wouldn't that up-stage the dragonborn too much?

I also managed to find a nice little power block for the racial.

As a feat perhaps, but getting 10 THP/attack (same MM2) sounds a bit too strong to me, especially as a racial trait. I think that even 5 THP/Attack at heroic is a bit too strong (not to mention making some builds useless for this race). Consitution modifier will likewise clash with some builds, while being useless for other builds/classes. Unless I make it count only basic attacks, but who uses those except for opportunity attacks/charges or powers that count as such (again, could be too powerful)?

As for the +3/+6/+9 for the racial, wouldn't that up-stage the dragonborn too much?

I also managed to find a nice little power block for the racial.

Unless the healing-when-you-attack thing were the racial encounter power - not unlike the MM1 stat-up of the orc.  I'd handle it like the half-orc's racial, triggering for any attack rather than just melee.  I find it incredibly easy to imagine a creature with draconic heritage being invigorated by calling upon their sorcerous bloodline.

You should be house-ruling that same pattern in for the Dragonborn, so no.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
I like this. But I would alter the height and weight averages to reflect a centauric race more accurately.

Using a large riding horse as a base (from where the neck meets the torso, down to the ground) and then adding on a few more feet for the human torso, you are looking at a 7'2" to 8'0" height average. Weight would be more around 800 to 1000 lbs as well. Unless they are smaller than horses, that is, which is also possible. I mean at these averages it looks more like a large size race than a medium size race as indicated in monsters manual 2, soo... yeah.
Emily Hook Longmont, CO Current DragonLance 4th Edition Writing Project: Champions of the Lance
Suggested new version

Drakkoth.

Racial Traits:

Average Height: 6'2"-6'8"
Average Weight: 360-520 lbs.
Ability Scores: +2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom or Constitution
Size: Medium
Speed: 7 squares
Vision: Low-Light
Languages: Common, Draconic
Skill Bonuses: +2 Intimidate, +2 Nature

Quadruped: Your carrying capacity is your strength score multiplied by 12.5.
Drakkoth Rage: Once per round, if you land an attack while bloodied you gain 5 temporary hp.
Reptilian: You have the reptilian keyword.
Venom Hiss: You have the Venom Hiss racial encounter power.

Venom HissRacial Attack
You hiss a stream of venomous saliva at your foes.
Encounter ♦ Poison
Minor - Close Blast 2
Target: Each enemy in blast
Attack: Primary Ability score +3 vs. Reflex
Level 11: Primary Ability score +6 vs. Reflex
Level 21: Primary Ability score +9 vs. Reflex 
Hit: 1d8 + primary ability score modifier damage
Level 11: 2d8 + primary ability score modifier damage 
Level 21: 3d8 + primary ability score modifier damage