Welcome to the fifteenth Expert Dungeon Master Competition! The primary purpose of the Expert Dungeon Master Competitions is threefold:
- To create a resource for new Dungeon Masters drawing on the vast talent pool of the experienced Dungeon Masters of this forum.
- To create a fun and vibrant competition that is sportsmanlike and friendly.
- To showcase the creativity and talent of Dungeon Masters like you.
The best way to keep informed about the competition is to join the Expert Dungeon Master Competition group. There you can review the rules, archives, and future contest ideas, and get broadcasts telling you when new competitions begin and when results are released!
The topic for this competition is "Create a Tiny Creature". In order to enter this competition, your entry must fulfill the following required elements:
- Name: Name your creature
- Mechanics: Provide a stat block for a creature that is Tiny in size.
- Fluff: Briefly describe the creature's typical appearance, behavior and environment.
- Lore: Set forth what characters may know of each creature with an appropriate Arcane, Dungeoneering, Nature, or Religion check.
- Scenarios: Propose a few scenarios (a sentence or two is sufficient) in which a party might encounter the creature.
In addition, the entry must include at least three of the following optional elements:
- Boss: The creature is described as typically being accompanied by creatures of the minion type that are Large, Huge or Gargantuan in size. The minions need not be fully statted, but should be adequately described.
- Brute: The creature is a brute. (An entry cannot satisfy this element and the "Multiple Creatures" element.)
- Deceptively Carnivorous: The creature is a carnivorous variant of an animal that is generally considered harmless.
- Housepet: The creature is described as being commonly kept as a housepet, despite its dangerous nature.
- Immature: The creature is the immature or larval form of a creature that is Huge or Gargantuan when fully grown. The adult need not be fully statted, but should be adequately described.
- Kleptomaniac: The creature is described as typically stealing objects and at least one scenario involves the creature attempting to steal something from the party.
- Multiple Creatures: The entry provides at least two stat blocks wth each tiny-sized creature fulfilling a different role (artillery, brute, controller, skirmisher, or soldier) Each stat block must meet each of the other optional elements sought to be met. (An entry cannot cannot satisfy this element and "Brute" element).
- Natural Camouflage: The creature has a power or feature that affords it cover or a bonus to AC by blending into its surroundings.
- Ritual: The creature can be summoned and/or controlled with a ritual detailed in the entry.
- Traps: The creature is described as typically employing the use of traps.
- Type: The creature is an Aberration, Construct, Elemental, Plant, and/or Undead.
- Unusual Movement: The creature has a speed or power that allows it to travel through a medium other than air (i.e., burrow, phase, swim, etc.) (Walking and flying do not satisfy this element.)
Following are some general rules of the Expert DM Competition. The complete list of rules is in the Expert Dungeon Master Competition Group Wiki.
- Code of Conduct. All entries must comply with the forum's Code of Conduct.
- Contest Duration. Contests usually run for two weeks, beginning with the post announcing the competition. The Coordinator may extend the duration of the contest at his discretion after consulting the other judges for that competition. However, such extensions should be done very rarely.
- Edits Made at Entrants' Own Risk. A judge may download your entry any time after it is submitted. So any edits you make might not be considered by a judge. For this reason, you should submit your entry in as complete a form as possible. Use the preview function liberally. Once winners have been announced, entrants may edit their entries.
- Images Allowed. If you want to use an image in your entry, you must first post it to your profile gallery.
- Multiple Entries Prohibited. Each applicant may only submit one entry during the period in which entries may be submitted. Submitting multiple entries disqualifies all entries. Additional entries may be submitted after the competition closes, but they will not be judged.
- Multi-Post Entries Prohibited. Each entry must be contained within a single post. The judges must ignore any subsequent posts.
- Outside Links Prohibited. Entries may not include material hosted on a website other than the post on which the entry appears.
- Plagiarism and Peer Reviewing Prohibited. All entries must be the original, exclusive work of the applicant. Entries found to be copying the work of another, or that have been posted for review prior to the close of the competition, will be disqualified.
Judges and Schedule
The contest will run from today through Friday, January 15, 2010. All entries must be submitted no later than 12:00 midnight on that day (Eastern Standard Time). The judges of this contest are ClanBattlerage, Koradzi, and TelinArtho, and the coordinator of this contest is wrecan. Good luck and have fun!!