[4e] Expert Dungeon Master Competition 15: Create a Tiny Creature!

169 posts / 0 new
Last post
XDMC 15: Create a Tiny Creature!

Welcome to the fifteenth Expert Dungeon Master Competition! The primary purpose of the Expert Dungeon Master Competitions is threefold:

• To create a resource for new Dungeon Masters drawing on the vast talent pool of the experienced Dungeon Masters of this forum.

• To create a fun and vibrant competition that is sportsmanlike and friendly.

• To showcase the creativity and talent of Dungeon Masters like you.

The best way to keep informed about the competition is to join the Expert Dungeon Master Competition group. There you can review the rules, archives, and future contest ideas, and get broadcasts telling you when new competitions begin and when results are released!

Required Elements

The topic for this competition is "Create a Tiny Creature". In order to enter this competition, your entry must fulfill the following required elements:

• Name: Name your creature

• Mechanics: Provide a stat block for a creature that is Tiny in size.

• Fluff: Briefly describe the creature's typical appearance, behavior and environment.

• Lore: Set forth what characters may know of each creature with an appropriate Arcane, Dungeoneering, Nature, or Religion check.

• Scenarios: Propose a few scenarios (a sentence or two is sufficient) in which a party might encounter the creature.

Optional Elements

In addition, the entry must include at least three of the following optional elements:

1. Boss: The creature is described as typically being accompanied by creatures of the minion type that are Large, Huge or Gargantuan in size. The minions need not be fully statted, but should be adequately described.

2. Brute: The creature is a brute.  (An entry cannot satisfy this element and the "Multiple Creatures" element.)

3. Deceptively Carnivorous: The creature is a carnivorous variant of an animal that is generally considered harmless.

4. Housepet: The creature is described as being commonly kept as a housepet, despite its dangerous nature.

5. Immature: The creature is the immature or larval form of a creature that is Huge or Gargantuan when fully grown.  The adult need not be fully statted, but should be adequately described.

6. Kleptomaniac: The creature is described as typically stealing objects and at least one scenario involves the creature attempting to steal something from the party.

7. Multiple Creatures: The entry provides at least two stat blocks wth each tiny-sized creature fulfilling a different role (artillery, brute, controller, skirmisher, or soldier)  Each stat block must meet each of the other optional elements sought to be met.  (An entry cannot cannot satisfy this element and "Brute" element).

8. Natural Camouflage: The creature has a power or feature that affords it cover or a bonus to AC by blending into its surroundings.

9. Ritual: The creature can be summoned and/or controlled with a ritual detailed in the entry.

10. Traps: The creature is described as typically employing the use of traps.

11. Type: The creature is an Aberration, Construct, Elemental, Plant, and/or Undead.

12. Unusual Movement: The creature has a speed or power that allows it to travel through a medium other than air (i.e., burrow, phase, swim, etc.)  (Walking and flying do not satisfy this element.)

Please list the optional elements you are trying to meet in your entry.

General Rules

Following are some general rules of the Expert DM Competition. The complete list of rules is in the Expert Dungeon Master Competition Group Wiki.

• Code of Conduct. All entries must comply with the forum's Code of Conduct.

• Contest Duration. Contests usually run for two weeks, beginning with the post announcing the competition. The Coordinator may extend the duration of the contest at his discretion after consulting the other judges for that competition. However, such extensions should be done very rarely.

• Edits Made at Entrants' Own Risk. A judge may download your entry any time after it is submitted. So any edits you make might not be considered by a judge. For this reason, you should submit your entry in as complete a form as possible. Use the preview function liberally. Once winners have been announced, entrants may edit their entries.

• Images Allowed. If you want to use an image in your entry, you must first post it to your profile gallery.

• Multiple Entries Prohibited. Each applicant may only submit one entry during the period in which entries may be submitted. Submitting multiple entries disqualifies all entries. Additional entries may be submitted after the competition closes, but they will not be judged.

• Multi-Post Entries Prohibited. Each entry must be contained within a single post. The judges must ignore any subsequent posts.

• Outside Links Prohibited. Entries may not include material hosted on a website other than the post on which the entry appears.

• Plagiarism and Peer Reviewing Prohibited. All entries must be the original, exclusive work of the applicant. Entries found to be copying the work of another, or that have been posted for review prior to the close of the competition, will be disqualified.

Judges and Schedule

The contest will run from today through Friday, January 15, 2010. All entries must be submitted no later than 12:00 midnight on that day (Eastern Standard Time). The judges of this contest are ClanBattlerage, Koradzi, and TelinArtho, and the coordinator of this contest is wrecan. Good luck and have fun!!

Questions and Answers
(reserved for questions posed by potential entrants and the coordinator's answers)

Q. Can the creature be a swarm of Tiny-sized creatures?

A.  Not unless the swarm itself is Tiny-sized.

Q. Must the creature be a variant of an animal (as opposed to a plant or object) to satisfy Optional Element 3 (Deceptively Carnivorous)?

A. Yes.

Q. Must the creature be an animal to satisfy Optional Element 4 (Housepet)?

A. No.

Q. For purposes of Optional Element 5 (Immature), can the creature's ultimate adult size be indeterminate but potentially Huge or Gargantuan?

A. No.  If the creature has many possible adult forms, they all must be Huge or Gargantuan.

Q. For purposes of Optional Element 7 (Multiple Creatures), is "minion" considered a "role"?

A. No.  A minion, however, can have a role (i.e., a skirmisher minion, an artillery minion, etc.) and thus a minion can fulfill the element if its role differs from the roles of other creatures described in the entry.

Q. Can Optional Element 8 (Natural Camouflage) be satisfied with a power that grants concealment?

A. Yes.

Q. For purposes of Optional Element 11 (Type), what is an "Aberration"?

A. A creature with the aberrant origin.

Q. Can Optional Element 12 (Unusual Movement) be satisfied with teleportation?

A. Only if the teleportation is accomplished by "travelling through a medium other than air".

Entry List
(reserved for a hyperlinked list of entries)

1. Qube's miniature giant space hamster (alternate beast companion)

2. PowerAttackForTwenty's Air Jelly (Level 7 Elite Skirmisher)

3. 11235's Thieving Hand (Level 7 Lurker)

4. Johnathan_Vagabond's Squibs (Level 2)

5. Barmp's Smoker, the Tiny Titan (Level 17 Elite Artillery)

6. Roxas1364's Garden Gnome (Third Edition PC race)

7. Fuka's Firemote (Level 1 Artillery)

8. Pluisjen's Carrion Crawler Hatchling (Level 2 Brute Minion)

9. Veok's Sapient Pearwood Jewelry Box (Level 14 Brute)

Supplpemental Entries:

Medalists and Scores

Medalists

The bronze medal goes to:

Pluisjen with "Carrier Crawler Hatchling"!

The silver medal goes to:

Veok with "Sapient Pearlwood Jewelry Box"!!

The gold medal goes to:

Barmp with "Smoker, the Tiny Titan"!!!
It should be noted that as this is Barmp's first gold medal, and both Veok and Pluisjen's second medals, all three of the winners are now entitled to call themselves Heroic Dungeon Masters!  Also, all three are eligible to judge the XDMCs (thought Veok had been grandfathered in as an official judge of the Expert Dungeon Master Competitions).

Thanks to ClanBattlerage, Koradzi, and TelinArtho for being such great judges, all of whom were willing to give comments and who got scores done in near-record time!  Congratulations again to everyone for such wonderful entries and thanks for making the XDMCs a continuing success! Anybody who wishes to edit their entries are welcome to do so. Everyone is welcome to post their comments.

Stay tuned for XDMC #16 to begin (hopefully) in a few weeks. In the meantime, enjoy the carefully tabulated scores below:

CONSOLIDATED SCORES

No.CreativityUsabilityThemesClarityBonusTotalEntrant
1885 1/3829 1/3Qube
211 1/38 1/385 2/333 1/3PowerAttackForTwenty
39 2/310 2/36 2/383511235
410 1/310 2/36 2/37 2/335 1/3Johnathan_Vagabond
513 1/313 1/37 1/38 2/3244 2/3Barmp
6n/an/an/an/an/an/aRoxas1364
710 2/3106 2/3734 1/3Fuka
81012 1/38 1/3737 2/3Pluisjen
911 2/311 2/37 1/37 2/338 1/3Veok

..."jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden" />
I'm going to get in sooooo much trouble... lol!

Silly question: does "Minion" count for fulfilling #7?

-Sarena

Players don't get to ad-lib t3h r00lz, and demand the DM stick to RAW. RAW says it's the other way around.

Artificer.jpg
D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

Nope.  But a minion can also have a role (artillery, skirmisher, soldier, etc.)  So including a minon (or elite or solo) version would be fine, if the minion (or elite or solo) has a role different from the standard creature.
Deceptively carnivorous monty python references incoming in...Foot in mouth

Interesting contest idea. I'll have to think about this one.
If you look past the plot and the voice acting, Metroid: Other M was an okay game. Not a great game, but an adequate one. Not using the Metroid item collect jingle though? That, was a mistake.
side note (rule lawering actually), looking at aboleth and MM p6, aberration doesn't exist anymore, its origin:aberrant ...
Qube's block builder: if you want to create blocks for powers, items and monsters for this forum, but don't know html
Signature in a box
For years, I've lived a double life. In the day, I do my job - I ride the bus, roll up my sleeves with the hoi-polloi. But at night, I live a life of exhilaration, of missed heartbeats and adrenalin. And, if the truth be known a life of dubious virtue. I won't deny it - I've been engaged in violence, even indulged in it. I've maimed and killed adversaries, and not merely in self-defence. I've exhibited disregard for life, limb and property, and savoured every moment. You may not think it, to look of me but I have commanded armies, and conquered worlds. And though in achieving these things I've set morality aside, I have no regrets. For though I've led a double life, at least I can say - I've lived.

3.jpg
D&D Home Page - What Monster Are You? - Stone Gaint

Scipio: And Chihuahuas have definitely improved in the "attacking ankles, yapping, and being generally annoying" environment. Me: OK, am I the only who sees an analogy between forum trolls & Chihuahuas?
Some of my work:
XDMC 19 (silver): A full fledged assassins guild (with stats, skill challenges, ...)link XDMC 14 (Bronze): a one shot campaign for beginning DMs/players. link XDMC 16: Paragon path: the Epitome: being better then all then any one else. link (note: this is balanced) XDMC 25: The Gelatinous Cube mount Guide To Disreality: a collection of houserules - Introduction & table of content
My ego in a box
who am I kidding? my ego would never fit in a box
side note (rule lawering actually), looking at aboleth and MM p6, aberration doesn't exist anymore, its origin:aberrant ...

An aberration is a creature with the aberrant origin.  I just wrote it that way to keep the element from being grammatically awkward. Tongue out
In the spirit of Christmas an all that non violent stuff ... I decided not to take the obvious path and create a monster to battle (I don't see it in the rules ... hopefully I didn't miss it) , but something else... So sit back and enjoy ...

I present to you, an alternate beast companion for the ranger ... a classic
(for all of you who have not played Baldur's Gate … shame on you)

The "miniature giant space hamster"
Most people don't belive in miniature giant space hamsters, and think they are normal hamsters, but they do exist ...
Miniature giant space hamsters are indistinguishable from normal hamster. Only the keenest of eyes can identify the brilliance of these creatures.
They are in fact intelligent, and can speak to people, but most of the time they just squeaks like a normal hamster – which makes them very hard to identify. Usually, they are encountered under cover within groups of mundane hamsters.

Miniature giant space hamster lore:

Most people don't believe they exist, and think that they are normal hamsters. a character knows the following information with a successful Arcane check.

• DC 25: There is actually such a thing as giant space hamster. They are about the size of a bear, and have thick fur. They can be domesticated as livestock and pet, or for labor.

• DC 30: In fact, there are many sub species: sabretooth giant space hamster, the carnivorous flying giant space hamster, the fire-breathing phase doppelganger giant space hamster, the tyrannohamstersaurus, and the miniature giant space hamster. The last look exactly like normal hamsters.

Miniature giant space hamster statistics:

Type: aberrant magical beast
Ability Scores: Strength 2, Constitution 10, Dexterity 16, Intelligence 16, Wisdom 14, Charisma 12
Size: Tiny
Speed: 2 squares
Defenses: AC: 12+level, Fortitude: 10+level, Reflex: 13+level, Will: 12+level
Hit Points: 1; a missed attack never damages a miniature giant space hamster
Attack: Level + 5
Damage: 1
Basic Melee Attack: "Go for the eyes, Boo!.” Bite; level + 5 vs. AC; 1 damage. And the target makes a save. if it fails, the target is blinded until end of next turn.
Abilities:
  • Carry Hamster
    "Boo is small and evasive, and there is ever so much of Minsc to search."

Minor action: You can choose to carry or relinquish the miniature giant space hamster. If it is carried, it does not use an item slot, it can't attack and it can't be attacked or damaged. If relinquished, it appears in a free adjacent square.

• Chosen by the Hamster Psychic
    "When the going gets tough, someone hold my rodent!"
    When carrying the miniature giant space hamster, at the beginning of your turn, you gain 1 temp hp. this increases to 2 temp hp at lvl 11 and 3 temp hp at lvl 12

• Incited by the Hamster
    "Make way evil! I'm armed to the teeth and packing a hamster!"
    "Boo points, I punch. Is very simple relationship, but it is effective. "

When carrying the miniature giant space hamster, you gain +1 to melee attacks

• Hamster Advisor
    "My hamster does not like your tone. Away with ye. "

Minor action: When carrying the miniature giant space hamster, you can ask it for advice. gain +1 item bonus on your next insight check or knowledge check.

Trained Skills: Insight

Possible scenarios:

• the party ranger beastmaster is hit on the head, and finds one of these creatures …

• the party encounters what they believes to be a mad beastmaster – as he apparently translates to you what his hamster is telling him. This NPC could be the one giving the quest, an NPC they need to battle, an NPC who holds information (well, the hamster holds the information), an NPC they need for a certain task (they could require the use of a intelligent rodent-sized creature), ...

Notes:

Just like  Baldur's Gate, though Boo is a animal companion, he doesn't actually work as an animal companion. So I made the miniature giant space hamster into some kind of alternate build of the ranger.
As the stats show, the miniature giant space hamster is mostly useless in melee combat, but the actual point is that you carry him – in which case you gain a couple of abilities that help your character

Optional elements used
  • House-pet

• Type: aberrant magical beast

• Ritual (ref 'Gaining a beast companion' sidebar, martial power 40)

• maybe others (maybe immature; maybe natural camouflage – as it blends in with other hamsters; or that it can become an 'item'; maybe unusual movement – again the item thing ) …

Qube's block builder: if you want to create blocks for powers, items and monsters for this forum, but don't know html
Signature in a box
For years, I've lived a double life. In the day, I do my job - I ride the bus, roll up my sleeves with the hoi-polloi. But at night, I live a life of exhilaration, of missed heartbeats and adrenalin. And, if the truth be known a life of dubious virtue. I won't deny it - I've been engaged in violence, even indulged in it. I've maimed and killed adversaries, and not merely in self-defence. I've exhibited disregard for life, limb and property, and savoured every moment. You may not think it, to look of me but I have commanded armies, and conquered worlds. And though in achieving these things I've set morality aside, I have no regrets. For though I've led a double life, at least I can say - I've lived.

3.jpg

Scipio: And Chihuahuas have definitely improved in the "attacking ankles, yapping, and being generally annoying" environment. Me: OK, am I the only who sees an analogy between forum trolls & Chihuahuas?
Some of my work:
XDMC 19 (silver): A full fledged assassins guild (with stats, skill challenges, ...)link XDMC 14 (Bronze): a one shot campaign for beginning DMs/players. link XDMC 16: Paragon path: the Epitome: being better then all then any one else. link (note: this is balanced) XDMC 25: The Gelatinous Cube mount Guide To Disreality: a collection of houserules - Introduction & table of content
My ego in a box
The list is updated!

Going to have to work on this. I've been meaning to submit to the XDMC for a while, but it's always coincided with real-life concerns prior.

It also works well with a blog topic I've been musing about (but probably won't get around to until next week) involving epic creatures, so I'll see if I can make an epic tiny creature.

5 Minute WorkdayMy Webcomic Updated Tue & Thur

Also check out my books at 5mwd.com/publishingIncluding Jester David's How-To Guide to Fantasy Worldbuildinga compilation of my blog series on Worldbuilding.

Is it safe to assume #12 would include teleport if it was listed as a movement type and not a power? 
For optional element #8 Natural Camouflage, would concealment work?
Can it be assumed that "Housepet" and "Deceptively Carnivorous Animal" are simply generalizations, and the creature need not be animal like at all? E.g, would a small clockwork robot qualify as a housepet, and would something like a carnivorous chair count as "deceptively carnivorous"?
If you look past the plot and the voice acting, Metroid: Other M was an okay game. Not a great game, but an adequate one. Not using the Metroid item collect jingle though? That, was a mistake.
I present to you: 

THE AIR JELLY

Air Jelly

Level 7 Elite Skirmisher

Tiny elemental animate

XP 600

Initiative +12                        Senses Perception +13; blindsight
HP 130; Bloodied 65
AC 24; Fortitude 19; Reflex 23; Will 19
Saving Throws +2
Speed 1 , Fly 6 (hover), Phasing 6
Action Points 1

m Driving Force (standard; at-will)

The Air Jelly rotates at a very quick pace before slamming into an enemy with unbelievable force.

Reach 0; The Air Jelly may shift two squares before and after making the attack.; +12 vs AC; 3d10 + 5

Sting (immediate reaction; at-will)

Darting around the attack, the Air Jelly quickly strikes with its concealed stinger, which drips wiith venom

Reach 0; When an enemy misses the Air Jelly with an attack; The Air Jelly may shift one square before and after the attack; +12 vs AC; 2d6 + 5 and the target takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls and ongoing 5 poison damage (save ends).

Master! (standard; at-will)

Most Air Jellies bond with a humanoid soon after birth, becoming fiercely loyal to him or her and doing what ever it takes to protect them.                                                                                             At the beginning of an encounter, the Air Jelly designates one of its allies as its master. While within ten squares of its master, the Air Jelly gains a +2 bonus to attack rolls.

M Protect the Master! (immediate reaction; recharge 5 6)

The Air Jelly, alarmed by the attempt at its master's wellbeing, springs to his defense.                                                                                                                      

When the Air Jelly's master is hit by an attack; The Air Jelly shifts up to five squares and then makes a driving force attack.

Avenge the Master! (no action; at-will)

WIth his Master defeated, the Air Jelly flies into a frenzy, attacking with even more vigor while also taking on a dark red hue.

When the Air Jelly's master is reduced to zero hitpoints, the Air Jelly gains an extra standard action per turn until the end of the encounter. In addition, it deals an additional 5 damage with all attacks, but takes a -2 penalty to all defenses and loses its Transparent ability.

Transparent (no action; at-will)

The Air Jelly blends into its surroundings and is downright see-through, making it difficult to see from a distance.                                                                              The Air Jelly gains +2 AC bonus from attacks by enemies more than three squares away.

Alignment Unaligned

Languages

Str 13 (+4)

Dex 19 (+7)

Wis 13 (+4)

Con 13 (+4)

Int 13 (+4)

Cha 13 (+4)

© 2009 Wizards of the Coast LLC, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc. All rights reserved. This monster statistics block has been generated using the D&D Adventure Tools.

AIR JELLY LORE

Arcane DC 15: Air Jellies are beings of wind and air, coalesced into a solid form. While young, they bond with another creature,  becoming a loyal servant and defender. Air Jellies are seem playful, but when their master is threatened they become a dangerous force

Arcane DC25: Air Jellies are not always solid, and are capable of passing through even the densest objects. However, as this requires concentration, it is ill suited as a defensive measure. Also, Air Jellies possess a hidden stinger containing a potent poison.

AIR JELLY FLUFF

Air jellies appear much like a regular jellyfish, but instead of swimming through water they do it through air. They are playful and jovial throughout most situations, until something endangers their master.

Despite being elementals, very few air jellies reside in the Elemental Chaos. Rather, they live on the Material Plane, making their homes either in forests or with their masters.

AIR JELLY SCENARIOS

Air jellies should mostly be encountered in the company of at least one humanoid.

The Two Brothers (Lvl 6): The PCs have been sent to apprehend or assassinate a young man who possesses a danger to their benefactor. When they find him, he is in a garden with his younger brother, a pair of guards, and the pet air jelly. Both brothers are Human Nobles(MM2 p148) and the guards are both Human Guards (mm p162). The twist to the encounter is that the air jelly’s master is actually the younger brother, who the PCs have no actual orders about. If their goal is the older brother dead, they can finish him and run, avoiding the dangers of attacking the air jelly’s master.

In the encounter, both brothers begin by using Inspirational Authority to let the mage use his encounter power to let each guard use its Powerful Strike, then begin using Appoint Champion to let the air jelly attack. Once the brothers are engaged, they stagger their Urge Hesitation power to prevent enemy attacks.

The guards try to stay near the brothers and spread around their attacks to mark as many enemies as possible.

The air jelly stays within ten squares of the younger brother at all times, but otherwise attacks at will. It does not use its action point until its master takes damage, at which point it spends it to attack at the soonest opportunity.

A Mob and a Jelly (lvl 7): The PCs, for whatever reason, end up in a large brawl with several townspeople. Unfortunately for them, one of them has a bonded air jelly. The encounter consists of twelve Human Lackeys (MM p162) and a single Air Jelly. The jelly is bonded to a random Lackey. The trouble (and fun) starts when the PCs one-hit the minion master and the Air Jelly goes crazy.  

NOTES

The Air Jelly has slightly lower health than average to accommodate its high damage.

Optional Elements Used

House Pet (#4)- People who have a bonded air jelly often think of them as pets.

Natural Camouflage (#8)- It’s transparent

Type (#11)- It’s an elemental

Unusual Speed (#12)- It has phasing

Sorry about the rediculous size. I can't figure out how to make the statblock smaller.
Sorry about the rediculous size. I can't figure out how to make the statblock smaller.

Don't copy + paste rich text format from the adventure tools.

Seriously. That's what causes the problem, and short of going back through the HTML manually, you're stuck with it that way.
Okay, it seems somebody else is familiar with Spelljammer.
That's Someone, with a capital S. "Cat's out of the bag on that one, isn't it? Who puts cats in bags, anyway? Cats hate bags." -Sheogorath, Oblivion

Don't copy + paste rich text format from the adventure tools.

Seriously. That's what causes the problem, and short of going back through the HTML manually, you're stuck with it that way.

Do you have a suggestion for a better way to statblock it on the forums?

Was that directed at me?
Do you have a suggestion for a better way to statblock it on the forums?

on houserules & homebrew, there is a sticky with power blocks, monster blocks, item blocks ...
you could use that.

Was that directed at me?

I think it was for me: searching for information about Boo (and mini giant space hamsters), I came across spelljammer, which also included them (as monster I think).

edit: oh, as cherry on the pie I added a picture of Boo (and Minsc).

Signature in a box

3.jpg

Some of my work:
My ego in a box
grammer question: I noticed an inconsistancy in my entry, and since english isn't my native langauage, I was wondering ... is it "a NPC" (as NPC stands for non player character ) or "an NPC" (as NPC is pronounced inpeecee)

reviewing the air jelly entry
  • layout could be better (well duh)

• with flight speed, I'm wondering if its not a lurker instead of a skirmisher (a pseudodragon using flyby attack is a lurker, not a skirmisher)

• I just don't see it being an elite ... it's a tiny pet. (its not like its a pet tiger, or something)

Signature in a box

3.jpg

Some of my work:
My ego in a box
Pssst Qube, it's Baldur's Gate, not Balder's...

Other then that, nice entry Tongue out

Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
Update 5th Sep 2011: Added a sample kingdom, as well as sample of play.
grammer question: I noticed an inconsistancy in my entry, and since english isn't my native langauage, I was wondering ... is it "a NPC" (as NPC stands for non player character ) or "an NPC" (as NPC is pronounced inpeecee)

reviewing the air jelly entry
  • layout could be better (well duh)

• with flight speed, I'm wondering if its not a lurker instead of a skirmisher (a pseudodragon using flyby attack is a lurker, not a skirmisher)

• I just don't see it being an elite ... it's a tiny pet. (its not like its a pet tiger, or something)

I went with skirmisher because it does not hide, it simply darts around and slams into things.
Elite was because it was supposed to be rediculously powerful despite its size, something that would be taken lightly until it hits.

And definately agreed on the layout
Keep in mind that you're free to edit your entry if you're not happy with the formatting, PAFT.  I know that a couple of people have come up with some pretty sharp Stat Blocks that don't disagree with the new forums... you could probably find a few that are copy/paste-able if you checked the XDMC 14 thread.
"The real hero is always a hero by mistake; he dreams of being an honest coward like everybody else." -Umberto Eco, from Travels in Hyperreality "The first adventurer was a nuisance. I am sure he acted against his mother's, his wife's, and the council of old men's strict orders when he did it; but it was he that found where the mammoths die and where after a thousand years of use there was still enough ivory to equip the entire tribe with weapons. Such is the ultimate outline of the adventurer; society's benefactor as well as pest." -William Bolitho, from Twelve Against the Gods
Barmp: Is it safe to assume #12 would include teleport if it was listed as a movement type and not a power?

Answer: Only if the teleportation is accomplished by "travelling through a medium other than air".  If it is teleportation because the creature turnsinto a fine mist and flies to another square, then no.  If it is teleportation because it opens a gate to some other dimension filled with goo, travels through the goo and opens a new gate in the new square, then yes.

PowerAttackForTwenty: For optional element #8 Natural Camouflage, would concealment work?

Answer: Concealment adds +2 to all defenses against some attacks, and AC is a defense, so I would say it does qualify.

Veok: Can it be assumed that "Housepet" and "Deceptively Carnivorous Animal" are simply generalizations, and the creature need not be animal like at all?

Answer: No it would not be safe to assume that.  "Deceptively Carnivorous" specifically uses the word "animal".  To meet the element the creature must appear like a harmless animal.  "Housepet", however, does not use the word "animal".  The creature must be described as commony being kept as a housepet. 

Qube: is it "a NPC" (as NPC stands for non player character ) or "an NPC" (as NPC is pronounced inpeecee)

Answer: In English, use the article based on how the acronym is pronounced.  In this case it would be "an NPC".  (In contrast, some acronyms are pronounced like words.  So one would say "A NASA astronaut".)
The list and Q&A are updated!

Actually I thought it showed that Qube was unfamiliar with Spelljammer.  His comment in reply to this post shows that.  Truely sad that some people don't know of the giant space hamsters and their various breeds.  How can one appreciate the miniature giant space hamster without knowing of the sabre-toothed giant space hamster, the carnivorous flying giant space hamster, the fire-breathing phase doppelganger giant space hamster and of course "Wooly Rupert," the Tyrannohamstersaurus of Ill Omen.

Identical Games

D&D Published World foums at The Piazza (Dark Sun, Mystara, Spelljammer, Planescape, and more); Core Coliseum; D&D Material including my Master/Expert DM Competition entries

Actually I thought it showed that Qube was unfamiliar with Spelljammer.  His comment in reply to this post shows that.  Truely sad that some people don't know of the giant space hamsters and their various breeds.  How can one appreciate the miniature giant space hamster without knowing of the sabre-toothed giant space hamster, the carnivorous flying giant space hamster, the fire-breathing phase doppelganger giant space hamster and of course "Wooly Rupert," the Tyrannohamstersaurus of Ill Omen.

Yeah, those were what I meant. I myself used giant space hamsters a couple times back in the MDMCs. What was the line in the ecology section- "we're terribly sorry, science is an inexact process and sometimes there are setbacks, nobody got seriously hurt so can we have our money back?". Best monster description ever.

On topic, would a not-tiny swarm of tiny creatures still qualify for this competition?
That's Someone, with a capital S. "Cat's out of the bag on that one, isn't it? Who puts cats in bags, anyway? Cats hate bags." -Sheogorath, Oblivion
On topic, would a not-tiny swarm of tiny creatures still qualify for this competition?

I would vote "no", but it's really Wrecan's call.  The comp is "Create *A* Tiny Creature".  I guess if you statted out the individual creature as well as a swarm, that would count, but I'd wait for Wrecan's official yea/nay on this.

Sorceror: "I'll attack the [solo monster] with Chaos Bolt." Warden: "Don't you ever use encounter powers?!?!?" Sorceror: (casually) "I don't need to." ----------- "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live." - Martin Golding
ClanBattlerage is correct.  A Tiny-sized Swarm would be fine.  A Swarm of Tiny-sized creature would not.  Unlike 3e, a swarm is measured by the space it occupies, not the size of its component creatures.
Wrecan, can we please link to as offsite HTML site that contains the actual entry? This stupid text-editor and forum software is driving me up the wall, it totally destroyed my entry to the previous competition, and that was after 2 hours worth of editing in that stupid little text box.

It's easier for me to make it look good in notepad than it is on this damn forum Undecided
Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
For Optional Rule 5, if there are multiple types of the end product creature, and only several of them were Huge, would it qualify?  To paraphrase with an example: if the entry was a proto-demon who could later grow into bigger demons, of which only certain kinds are Large or Huge and some are still Medium, would the little beastie still qualify?

People like to generalize this to say "use an if the word starts with a vowel", but a more precise definition would be, "use 'an' if the first sound of the word is a vowel".

That is to say, it is grammatically correct to say "an FPS", but you should say "a First Person Shooter".
Wrecan, can we please link to as offsite HTML site that contains the actual entry?

Sorry, no.

For Optional Rule 5, if there are multiple types of the end product creature, and only several of them were Huge, would it qualify?

The adult form of the creature has to be Huge or Gargantuan. Anything less won't fulfill the element.
Here's a stablock format you can use, just quote me, open the HTML panel, and copy everything between the Table  and /Table tags. I'm trying to figure out how to make these forums properly display code so that I can just paste my markup in as text and have you see it as text. The pre-formatted tag isn't working properly.

NameLevel
KeywordsXP
Vital Statistics
MBA
Attack
Stats

In the desert
I saw a creature, naked, bestial,
who, squatting upon the ground,
held his heart in his hands, and ate of it.
I said, "is it good, friend?"
"It is bitter – bitter," he answered;
"but I like it,
"beacuase it is bitter,
"and because it is my heart."

Wrecan, can we please link to as offsite HTML site that contains the actual entry?

Sorry, no.

For Optional Rule 5, if there are multiple types of the end product creature, and only several of them were Huge, would it qualify?

The adult form of the creature has to be Huge or Gargantuan. Anything less won't fulfill the element.

Either that, or the "child" form could be that size... Although it would be serious magic to get it down to Tiny...

-Sarena

Players don't get to ad-lib t3h r00lz, and demand the DM stick to RAW. RAW says it's the other way around.

Artificer.jpg
D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

YAY! Next competition for me to work on. Good luck to everybody, although I think that I may not do as well on this one.
Take a look at my Handbook: The Pet Store: A Familiar Keeper's Handbook Nacht: "Vecna can do ANYTHING given preptime. He's like an undead lich god Batman."
Wrecan, can we please link to as offsite HTML site that contains the actual entry? This stupid text-editor and forum software is driving me up the wall, it totally destroyed my entry to the previous competition, and that was after 2 hours worth of editing in that stupid little text box.

It's easier for me to make it look good in notepad than it is on this damn forum Undecided

Yeah, it is a pain compared to the old one.  I used an HTML statblock that Qube built that worked pretty well.  Though I can't for the life of me figure out where there heck it is now.  I'm at work now, but I think I bookmarked it at home.  If I can find it, I'll post unless Qube beats me to it.
Sorceror: "I'll attack the [solo monster] with Chaos Bolt." Warden: "Don't you ever use encounter powers?!?!?" Sorceror: (casually) "I don't need to." ----------- "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live." - Martin Golding
It's in the Homebrew forum, but when I used it for XDMC 14 it worked fine in the preview but got butchered completely when I posted it, so unfortunatly that didn't really work either.
Epic Dungeon Master

Your Kingdom awaits!
Oh hell yes, I'm all over this.  I had an entry for the MDMC create a monsterous race competition that I never finalized and entered.  I am all about to slap that bad boy in here.  Just a little 4e tweaking (well, probably a lot of 4e tweaking) and I'll be good.  I've never managed to fall out of love with my little creations.
Resident Shakespeare