New findings -Hospitable Planets ?

Source: science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2010/04jan_f...

spacer.gif

FEATUREspacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif

Kepler Discovers Five New Exoplanets

erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">January 4, 2010: NASA's Kepler space telescope, designed to find Earth-size planets in the habitable zone of sun-like stars, has discovered its first five new exoplanets.

erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">LithoArtKepler2-br_med.jpgNamed Kepler 4b, 5b, 6b, 7b and 8b, the planets were announced Monday, Jan. 4, by the members of the Kepler science team during a news briefing at the American Astronomical Society meeting in Washington.

erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">The five planets are quite a bit larger than Earth. Known as "hot Jupiters" because of their high masses and extreme temperatures, the new exoplanets range in size from similar to Neptune to larger than Jupiter. They have orbits ranging from 3.3 to 4.9 days. Estimated temperatures of the planets range from 2,200 to 3,000 degrees Fahrenheit, hotter than molten lava and much too hot for life as we know it.

erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">"It's gratifying to see the first Kepler discoveries rolling off the
assembly line," says Jon Morse, director of the Astrophysics Division at NASA Headquarters in Washington. "We expected Jupiter-size planets in short orbits to be the first planets Kepler could detect. It's only a matter of time before more Kepler observations lead to smaller planets with longer period orbits, coming closer and closer to the discovery of the first Earth analog."

So, to recap (no longer quoting) It is exciting, just not as inspiring as I had hopped. I had almost forgot about thisd thread...well, I did forget, sorry.

This particular post should be avoided and ignored if you found yourself scared during the Y2K hype back in the late 90’s

As HARP / BLUE BEAM?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL8vVbte63M&NR=1

As a reminder of the indomitable human spirit that refuses to submit!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-3RLx_4Y5Y&feat...

Makes for some neat-o campaign ideas....IMHO

Sign In to post comments