Dungeon/Dragon and the Kindle

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
This lucky boy just received a Kindle for Christmas.

I've tried transferring Dungeon magazine onto it, but the resulting image is too small to comfortably read, even in landscape view.

Any other Kindle users out there who can offer some tips?
I don't own one and haven't used one, but doesn't it allow for zooming?
Sorry WOTC, you lost me with Essentials. So where I used to buy every book that came out, now I will be very choosy about what I buy. Can we just get back to real 4e? Check out the 4e Conversion Wiki. 1. Wizards fight dirty. They hit their enemies in the NADs. -- Dragon9 2. A barbarian hits people with his axe. A warlord hits people with his barbarian. 3. Boo-freakin'-hoo, ya light-slingin' finger-wigglers. -- MrCelcius in response to the Cleric's Healer's Lore nerf
which kindle are you using the small one?
I was really interested in this too.  Looking at the Kindle or Nook.
Here's my experience with e-readers and WotC material.

First of all, I own an iRex DR1000S. 10" screen, and full support of pdf.
Both Dragon/Dungeon and the watermarked OEF pdfs they used to sell on drivethrurpg.com and similar sites work like a charm on my device. I can read them easily on full page. The Table of Content is a bit lacking though (I only see chapters for game books and nothing at all for Dragon or Dungeon) so I use the native bookmarking feature of my iRex. Loading time for pages is a bit slow due to the heavy graphics but not too much - not more than the newspaper "Il Fatto Quotidiano" I read on there as well, for instance.

Now, I haven't seen a Kindle in action yet (nobody in my ebook club owns one, nor it's likely to happen - we don't like the proprietary format policy) - but as far as I know the Kindle DX, which has pretty much the same screen size as my device and supports pdf format, should handle these files well too.
The normal Kindle does not support pdf as far as I know and the D&D files are too graphic-heavy to allow for easy conversion from pdf to other formats. (this is pobably true for epub as well, although I haven't actually tried).

Moving on to the Nook, this device has a much smaller screen and judging from the 6" devices I have seen, I would not recommend it at all for these magazines (or the books, should they resume selling them again anytime - hint, hint).
Nor would I recommend the Sony devices, or any other 6" (Foxit, Bookeen or whatever). They are nice for reading novels, but RPGs in the format they come in nowadays are simply what they are not built for.

8" devices are borderline. The font used in D&D products is a bit too small to be read comfortably on full page, but you'd need much less zooming (half a page is perfectly fine).
Now, the only 8" device manifacturer I know of is iRex. However, from what I hear the DR800SG firmware does not support full functionality for the pen yet (that is, writing on files like on the previous iLiad and my DR1000S). I still have to read a complete review of this new device, but until they implement writing I'm hesitant to recommend it like I did in the past for the iLiad.

Last, a few words on the writing feature: from the point of view of a DM especially, being able to write on the device is a feature much more desirable than connectivity. You can always get and manage your files with your computer (provided clumsy DRM systems don't get in your way - this is the reason why I'm strongly against DRM) - and with the DDI tools and whatnot, I use it anyway. Being able to take notes on the files once they are copied on your device, on the other hand, is pretty much priceless. You don't need to print anything anymore as a DM - apart from maps, or handouts for the players.
Here's my experience with e-readers and WotC material.

stuff

Thanks for the excellent write-up!! It is much appreciated, and I have passed it up to WotC.

Mudbunny SVCL for DDI Before you post, think of the Monkeysphere
I've used my Kindle DX to good effect for D&D, from making pdf versions of characters (character builder print to pdf), dragon articles, to some old pdfs of actual books. I usually do it in non-landscape mode for looking around and simple stuff, and switch to Landscape when I need to very carefully examine something. That said, I like fairly small type in general.

No experience with viewing pdfs on a regular Kindle, so can't help there.
Keith Richmond Living Forgotten Realms Epic Writing Director
I was also looking for something to read the Dragon and Dungeon magazines short of the computer or printing them out.  So the more information we can find the better.

I like what I read of the iRex.

Keep us posted on what works best.  I would hate to go out and spend money on a reader that would not read these mags.
Let's not forget that in the near future there will be the iPad.  Considering that iPhones can display PDF files on them, I'm sure the iPad will as well since it's just a big iPhone... without the phone part.  For now at least.

And of course there's always the netbook route.  I hae an Acer Aspire One 8" netbook that I take to games that has all my PDFs on it.  It's very handy, not only for that, but I also have the CB on it so I can adjust my PC when needed.
Sorry WOTC, you lost me with Essentials. So where I used to buy every book that came out, now I will be very choosy about what I buy. Can we just get back to real 4e? Check out the 4e Conversion Wiki. 1. Wizards fight dirty. They hit their enemies in the NADs. -- Dragon9 2. A barbarian hits people with his axe. A warlord hits people with his barbarian. 3. Boo-freakin'-hoo, ya light-slingin' finger-wigglers. -- MrCelcius in response to the Cleric's Healer's Lore nerf
The iPad is not an ebook reader.

This is not to say that it can't prove an useful tool to have at the game table, especially seeing as it can run apps - while ebook readers are just paperless access to digital documents.

But, and this is important, the Apple device does not feature an eink screen but an ordinary LCD. This means it won't be any better than your computer for your reading experience. Eink, on the other hand, is very much like reading on paper. You can read for hours on an eink device - it is in fact what it's made for.

Since my last post, a new 6" device has come out that features wacom technology (Endless Ideas Bebook Neo, also known as Onyx boox 60 - the Endless Ideas version being basically rebranded, though there are small differences in the software).
While I'm still of the opinion that 6" is too small to enjoy the letter-sized pdfs of Dragon/Dungeon, this device is much cheaper (at least here in Italy) than the 8" or 10" iRex ones, while still featuring the wacom note-taking capability. So DMs can put their adventures on it and take notes while playing.
The Bebook/Onyx is also capable of browsing Internet webpages, although I'm told it doesn't handle complex graphic sites very well, which could mean it can't handle the Compendium.

One last note, full note taking feature has been announced for the software of iRex DR800 in April.
I've used my Kindle DX to good effect for D&D, from making pdf versions of characters (character builder print to pdf), dragon articles, to some old pdfs of actual books. I usually do it in non-landscape mode for looking around and simple stuff, and switch to Landscape when I need to very carefully examine something. That said, I like fairly small type in general.

No experience with viewing pdfs on a regular Kindle, so can't help there.

Does the Kindle DX work well for reading Dragon and Dungeon Magazine.  Especially after they have been compiled.  Oh and how do the pictures look?

For quick reading at work, I have used Adobe Reader to Go for my palm centro.  It is ok, but many times the paragraphs get exchanged, and when I am trying to read an adventure away from the computer, it can get a bit bothersome.

So any help on which eReader works best for the Dungeon and Dragon mags would be great.

Also would like alot of choice for books to read also, since I doubt I can get my wife to approve this purchase just to read Magazines.

Thanks
I don't own a Kindle DX, but my device is similar enough in size that I can at least tell you how they look. Full-sized pages are readable, although the font is a bit small. Eink is only capable of a 16 grey scale so far; that said all the pictures are displayed well enough, you can make out the details quite well (I was actually surprised).

One note: pages load fast enough for reading through, but zapping back and forth can be a bit cumbersome.

I usually zoom the magazines so that I see about half a landscape page while holding the screen in portrait position, and then I just have to pan to see the third paragraph of each page as I can fit two in. I could zoom more if I needed or wanted to, of course then I'd have to pan more. Now, I don't know how the Kindle software handles zooming and especially panning; it's very easy to do with my pen.

So any help on which eReader works best for the Dungeon and Dragon mags would be great.

I think 6" devices are too small so your choices are basically 3 at the moment: Kindle DX or iRex DR1000s (10") and iRex DR800 (8").
iRex devices are more expensive but they allow you to write on your pdfs. You can highlight stuff or take notes of HP and used/recharged powers directly on the monster stat block.

Also would like alot of choice for books to read also, since I doubt I can get my wife to approve this purchase just to read Magazines.

Kindle has access to all the range of ebooks Amazon sells in their proprietary format, plus pdfs I guess, not sure if it can handle any other DRM than Amazon's though. 

The iRex devices read standard formats; they are abandoning Mobipocket for epub (which is the format chosen by Apple for their iBook store, provided they don't lock that to their iPad though...) and Adobe DRM. There are a few ebook sellers around, like Fictionwise or drivethrustuff.