Half Oni concept race

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I'm getting ready to start my first campaign for 4th edition as DM, and my older brother wants to play a half oni.  Here's what I have so far:

Half Oni
Average Height: 7 1˝ – 7 5˝
Average Weight: 320–350 lb.
Ability Scores: +2 Strength, +2 Charisma
Size: Medium
Speed: 6 squares
Vision: Low Light
Languages: Common, Giant, choice of one other.
Skill Bonuses: +2 Arcana, +2 Insight
BAMF!: You can use BAMF! as an encounter power.
Deceptive Veil: You can use deceptive veil as an at-will power.
Ritual Casting: You get Ritual Casting as a bonus feat.

Deceptive Veil Half Oni Racial Power
You alter your form to look like some other humanoid.
At-Will ✦ Illusion
Minor Action Personal
Effect: The Half Oni can disguise itself to appear as any Medium or Large humanoid. A successful Insight check (opposed by the half oni’s Bluff check +5) pierces the disguise.

BAMF! Half Oni Racial Power
In a cloud of sulpher and brimstone, you vanish from one place and appear in another.
Encounter ✦ Teleportation
Move Action Personal
Effect: Teleport up to 5 squares (see “Teleportation,”
PHB page 286).

---------------------------------------------------

Okay, from here I'm mostly wanting to know what everyone's feelings are in terms of balance.  He'll probably end up taking Swordmage as his class.

Mmk, added back the Teleport.  Also Big Bro might take Rogue as his primary class instead of Swordmage, but because Oni have medium sized varients I think I can work something out with him.

Thanks again for all the input.
Oversized is too powerful for a PC race.

By 'spellsword' I assume you mean 'Swordmage'?
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Oversized is too powerful for a PC race.

Assume I want to keep it for flavor and that it probably won't be used in an overpowered way.  The brother in question isn't a min/maxer.

By 'spellsword' I assume you mean 'Swordmage'?

Yeah, Swordmage, I'll edit the OP.

Other than the above, what do you think?  Thanks for your input.
Oversized is both overpowered and badly designed on a PC race because of how it gives a massive boost to weapon-using classes while being completely useless to implement-only classes. That's why the Minotaur, whose MM states has Oversized, had the trait removed when it was converted into PC race.

Also, you're missing an encounter racial power, and no, Deceptive Veil does not count. Being at-will, that's more like a passive racial feature. Just check out the Changeling, and you'll see that it gets its shape-shifting power plus the Changeling Trick encounter power.

So, basically, you should remove Oversized and replace it with an encounter racial power. The race would then be balanced.

Now, as for your response to Salla, "I want to keep it for flavor," and "My player won't use it in overpowered ways," are cop-out answers. Sure, you can do that if you want, but then what was the point in asking our opinions?

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
Any ideas on what I could use as a potential encounter power in lieu of Oversized?  I could potentially give it a slightly weaker version of the Eladrin's teleport ability or something.

It's great that you guys are here to tell me how the race fails, but you're neglecting to actually contribute anything beyond that.  Try building up rather than tearing down.

I understand you probably answer a lot of questions given both of your nearly 12,000 combined posts, and it probably gets tiresome to give answers outside of 'no soup for you!' but maybe you should think about getting back to the basics of interpersonal communication.
I believe the point is to make you think for yourself.  I got about the same response on mine, but mine was because of a racial NAD bonus more than Oversized. ^w^;;

At any rate, seeing as I don't know what the intent behind your design is, how about clearing up what of the Oni's traits you want for it?  Oversized being out of the question, sitting back and going over what the Oni blocks have in common is a good way of narrowing this down.
The only thing most Oni have in common in their stat blocks is Deceptive Veil (and that's not universal); however, several of them have Gaseous Form.  I'm not sure that's a good fit for a racial encounter power, since I don't think any of them are standard actions.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
The only thing most Oni have in common in their stat blocks is Deceptive Veil (and that's not universal); however, several of them have Gaseous Form.  I'm not sure that's a good fit for a racial encounter power, since I don't think any of them are standard actions.

Right, hence my current difficulties.  Regular Ogres basically 'got nothin' in regards to potential abilities. 

Perhaps his human heritage can play into this a little bit?  Oni are known for being exceptionally intelligent (If sadistic) and that may be a decent alternative.  I was willing to allow Oversized specifically because of Deceptive Veil's apparent weakness.

Will probably have Deceptive Veil's bluff bonus improve with tier ascension in addition to a worthy encounter power.

Thx for continuing the discussion.
Who says Gaseous Form has to be a Standard for a player race?

Gaseous Form
Action: minor
Effect: You gain Resist 5 to Melee and Ranged attacks, a fly speed of 3 and can squeeze as if you were a Tiny creature until the end of your next turn.
Special: increase Resist to 10 at 11th level and 15 at 21st level.

Something like that would probably capture the feel of Gaseous Form, be useful in just about any situation and not really be broken in any. 
Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
Update 5th Sep 2011: Added a sample kingdom, as well as sample of play.
Any ideas on what I could use as a potential encounter power in lieu of Oversized?  I could potentially give it a slightly weaker version of the Eladrin's teleport ability or something.

I don't see why it would need to be slightly weaker. Something just as powerful would be fine.

I believe the point is to make you think for yourself.

This. Those of us who respond to these home-brew races all of the time want to see something original and cool and new, and it's very difficult for that to happen if we give each home-brewer the same ideas and suggestions that we've given to everybody else. Furthermore, it's often that we simply don't know enough about the race to make any meaningful suggestions. For example:
At any rate, seeing as I don't know what the intent behind your design is, how about clearing up what of the Oni's traits you want for it?

@Phildo:
So you see, it's actually better for you and your race to come up with your own ideas. The rest of us are here to give you a hand, not to build your race for you or to tell you that you did a good job when you didn't, so there's no need to feel attacked.

While it's true that standard action racial powers are generally a bad idea, I don't see any reason why a racial power inspired by Gaseous Form would need to be a standard action. I could potentially see a Move, Minor, or Immediate Interrupt being suitable.

I'm not sure whether Pluisjen's idea is balanced or not, but it's not a bad start at all.

Perhaps his human heritage can play into this a little bit?

That's a fantastic idea. After all, the Half-Elf doesn't take everything it can do from what Elves can do, and the Half-Orc doesn't take everything it can do from what Orcs can do, so it would be perfectly reasonable for the Half-Oni not to take everything it can do from that Onis can do.

Will probably have Deceptive Veil's bluff bonus improve with tier ascension...

I don't think that's necessary, but I could alternatively suggest that racial feats be employed to do things with the race that you wouldn't normally be able to get away with putting in the base racial traits.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
Thanks for the ideas, guys.  Discussing possible directions with my brother and when he figures out wtf he's going to do I'll post the final product.

You've all been a huge help and sorry if I came across as an emo carebear earlier. :p
Okay, gave it Low Light vision and an Oni-flavored version of Fey Step.  Swapped the Int bonus with Cha instead.
I guess I would not allowing both racial powers to be used in an enc.  Like the drow, you can use either or in an enc unless you take the paragon feat.  That'd really be my only suggestion I think to balance out the racial powers.
I guess I would not allowing both racial powers to be used in an enc.  Like the drow, you can use either or in an enc unless you take the paragon feat.  That'd really be my only suggestion I think to balance out the racial powers.

Big difference.  Deceptive Veil isn't balanced against Encounter powers, it's an at-will power that has almost strictly Role Playing utility and very little mechanical relevance in combat.