The "Playing Pokemon" Project, Part 1: BULBASAUR (PEACH)

45 posts / 0 new
Last post
((EDITS:
12/28/09: Speed was lowered to 5, Save bonus and grab penalty were added to Vine Whip racial feature, and Special line added to Overgrow racial power.))

((Cross-posted on the Races forum.))

Wow, that title looks a lot more pretentious than I had intended. O_O
Also, how did that end up with so many P's?

. . . Oh, right, anyways, I've been bored over my holiday break, so I decided to work on a little project to make Pokemon into playable character races for 4E. It started off small, with me just making the basic racial trait templates, but then I got sort of carried away and decided that I would turn each of their secondary evolutions into a Paragon Path and each of their final evolutions into an Epic Destiny. Then, of course, there were the feats, and it ended up being a bit bigger than I thought.

Design decisions and further commentary will be explained via spoiler block, but remember that I just did this for fun and to keep myself occupied, so I haven't play-tested it, and I haven't checked as thoroughly for balance as I do when I home-brew something that I actually plan on using.

I think that's it for the basics, so without further delay...

BULBASAUR
th_anime001.jpgMaybulbasaurvinewhip.jpgBulbasaur_by_MetalReaper.jpg

RACIAL TRAITS
Average Height: 3'0" - 3'6"
Average Weight: 25 - 35 lb.

Ability Scores: +2 Strength, +2 Wisdom
Size: Small
Speed: 5 Squares
Vision: Normal

Languages: Common, Pokemon
Skill Bonuses: +2 Endurance, +2 Nature
Grass-Type: You are a plant creature and have the plant keyword. Unlike other plant creatures, you still require sleep.
Poison-Type: You gain a +5 bonus to saving throws against poison effects.
Pokemon: You are a magical beast.
Vine Whip: Two vines extend from the bulb on your back and function as your arms and hands. They grant you a +2 bonus to Acrobatics checks and Athletics checks made to escape a grab and a +2 racial bonus to saves made to catch yourself when falling. In addition, targets grabbed by you take a -2 penalty to Acrobatics checks and Athletics checks made to escape.
Overgrow: You have the overgrow power.

Overgrow (Bulbasaur Racial Power)
You vine whips extend beyond their normal length to expand your reach for a short time.
Encounter
Minor Action     Personal
Effect: Until the end of your turn, you can treat any creatures and objects up to two squares away from you as though they were adjacent to you, and the ranges of your melee and ranged powers increase by one.
Special: If you are bloodied, then you also gain a +1 bonus to damage rolls for the duration of the effect. This bonus increases to +2 at 11th level and then again to +3 at 21st level.

Design Decisions
First, I should explain the ability score bonuses. In the games, Bulbasaur's highest stats are Special Attack and Special Defense (tied). I attribute both of these to Wisdom, likely because being a Grass-type remind me of nature and thus the Primal power source, most classes in which run off of Wisdom. Special Attack and Special Defense are followed by Attack and Defense (also tied). Defense ends up being a single point higher than Attack later on when it evolves into Venusaur. This immediately made me think Constitution, but that would leave Bulbasaur and Squirtle with the same ability score bonuses, and I thought that would be sort of lame. Seeing as how the stats were only a single point apart and how people expect a turtle to gain a Constitution bonus, I decided to go with Strength. It was after this decision I realized that this actually fit pretty well when I considered what sort of classes Bulbasaur should be good at. It's perfect for Defender classes, particularly the Warden. It also ends up making a good Ranger, and that fits in with what I imagine as well.
Also, I realize it's odd to have a Small size race with a Strength bonus, but this is a Pokemon, so it's fine.

The decision to make Pokemon into magical beasts was natural, but it does come with the implication that you will be doing a lot of re-flavoring in order for armor, item slots, and so on to properly fit. I personally have no problem with this, and if you do, then this was never going to work for you anyways, so there. In a related note, while not having arms might stand in the way of making an effective character race in most circumstances, Bulbasaur happen to be one of the Pokemon that learns Vine Whip! That leaves it with two tentacle-like appendages which totally solve this problem! Imagine, if you would, a Bulbasaur grasping a massive axe or spinning around a scimitar and shield or firing a bow with plant tentacles. If you don't think that's totally awesome, then you can get out right now.

I don't have very much to say about the power, actually. I wanted to give Vine Whip reach, but I knew it would be completely overpowered, so I turned it into an encounter power, slapped Overgrow on it as the perfect excuse, and that was that. I think it's a fun and interesting effect, and it lets you do a lot of surprisingly interesting things that you never realized before would be useful to do from a distance. For example, it lets you administer a potion to an ally that you're not adjacent to or make a Thievery check against a trap or person that you're not adjacent to.
There was, of course, the temptation to create a racial attack power, but I feel like those are so overdone by home-brews nowadays that I want to go in a different direction and actually produce a unique and interesting effect instead of just yet another attack power.

Some of you Pokemon fans may notice that the height and weight I have listed are far too large for a Bulbasaur. Well, the problem with their canon size is that it puts them in Tiny size, and that just doesn't work in a PC race. Instead, I went with the height and weight given for Ivysaur.

In the world of D&D, Bulbasaur, like all other Pokemon, are native to the natural world, having been created by the original Pokemon God, Arceus, many eons ago. They typically make their homes in grasslands and temperate forests, and while their modest settlements may look completely unimpressive to most humanoids, this is simply because as beasts of nature, Bulbasaur have no need for typical buildings or roads. Their shelters are usually nothing more than temporary huts made completely out of grasses and vines speed-grown by the tribe's druids, and other facilities are usually just as temporary and biodegradable.

Personality-wise, Bulbasaur have a strong senses of family, loyalty, tradition, and respect, so they tend to get a long very well with Dragonborn and also find a lot in common with Goliaths. However, because of the environments in which they typically reside, the Bulbasaur and Goliaths rarely meet, and Bulbasaur are much more likely to end up befriending Elves. Unsurprisingly, Elves are the humanoid race most likely to recognize Bulbasaur for what they truly are as spiritual and intellectual equals and not just mere beasts.

When it comes to religion, Bulbasaur are most likely to revere the trinity of Groudon, Kyorge, and Rayquaza, as the three represent the awesome forces of the natural world, but Bulbasaur aren't very heavily drawn towards worship of the divine. Instead, they are heavily drawn to the Primal classes, especially the Warden, and Bulbasaur warriors who are Fighters or Rangers are also common.

So about this fluff...
It should be clear that I didn't work all that hard on it, but it's just mean to be a light jumping-off point. Pokemon are difficult to integrate into a standard D&D world as they're presented in the games, and they're even harder to integrate as player character races if they're depicted as mere animals you train for glorified ****-fighting. Instead, I've opted to give them just a hint of culture as a race that reveres nature and lives with it much as Elves do. However, I took a bit of personality from the TV series, which represented Bulbasaur as being much more like Dragonborn or Dwarves personality-wise. This should be unique enough that it could be worked with.

Also, I couldn't help working the legendaries into there, and each of the starters will likely revere completely different legendary Pokemon. Maybe at some point I'll write up some Channel Divinity feats for them, but I wouldn't expect it at this point.

HEROIC TIER FEATS:

BULBASAUR'S LEECH SEED
Prerequisite: Bulbasaur
Benefit: Whenever you hit a creature with an attack, you can seed that creature as a free action. Only one creature can be seeded by you at any time. You can end the effects of your seeds on a creature as a free action on your turn, but otherwise, the effects continue until the end of the encounter.
Whenever a creature seeded by you takes any ongoing damage, you gain temporary hit points equal to one-half of the damage taken.

BULBASAUR'S OVERGROWTH
Prerequisite: Bulbasaur, overgrow racial power
Benefit: When you use your overgrow racial power, you can also choose to increase the size of your close and area powers by one for the duration of the power.

BULBASAUR'S VINE WHIP
Prerequisite: Bulbasaur, vine whip racial feature
Benefit: You can use both of your vine whips as weapons that have a +3 proficiency bonus, do 1D6 damage, are treated as Flails, and are treated as having the Off-Hand property.
You can enchant and disenchant your vine whips. When you disenchant them, they do not turn to dust.

So about them feats...
The easiest way to come up with feats is to just think about what I wish I could give the race by default and to think about how I could make what they already got even better, so that's where the Overgrow and Vine Whip line of feats are going to have come from.

I resolved to make Leech Seed into a feat because I didn't want to have to wait until Paragon tier and the Ivysaur Paragon Path to feel like I was using pokemon moves. Leech Seed is, of course, the first grass-type move that Bulbasaur learns, even before Vine Whip, so it only seemed right to include it. Otherwise, it's a really good preview of what I decided to do to a lot of moves. Sure, they could have been attacks, but most of them ended up being turned into features. In reality, only two ended up as attack powers.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
IVYSAUR
Ivysaur.pnganime002.jpg?t=1261809255IvysaurAnime.jpg

Prerequisite: 11th level, Bulbasaur

IVYSAUR PATH FEATURES:
Growth Action (11th level): When you spend an action point to take an extra action, you also gain a +4 bonus to attack rolls until the start of your next turn.
Poison Powder (11th level): Any adjacent enemy that misses you with a melee attack takes 5 ongoing poison damage (save ends). This feature counts as a poison effect.
Sleep Powder (16th level): When an adjacent enemy scores a critical hit against you with a melee attack, that enemy must immediately make a saving throw or else fall unconscious until the end of your next turn or until it is attacked. This feature counts as a sleep effect.

Razor Leaf (Ivysaur Attack 11)
The leaves on your back become razor-sharp, and you hurl them across the battlefield.
Encounter
Standard Action     Ranged 10
Target: One, two, three, or four creatures
Attack: Ability Score +8 vs. AC, four attacks, each can score a critical hit on a roll of 18-20.
Level 21: Ability Score +11 vs. AC
Hit: 2D6 damage per attack. If you hit a single target more than once with this power, you can choose to add all damage together before resistances are applied.
Special: When you gain this power, choose an ability score to use when making attack rolls with this power.

Sweet Scent (Ivysaur Utility 12)
Your flower emits a potent aroma designed to cause your foes to let their guard down.
Daily - Zone
Minor Action     Close burst 3
Effect: The burst creates a zone that lasts until the end of your next turn and moves with you to remain centered on you. All enemies within the zone take a -3 penalty to all defenses and saving throws.
Sustain Minor: The zone persists.

Solar Beam (Ivysaur Attack 20)
You take a moment to concentrate solar energy and then emit it in a powerful, deadly beam.
Daily - Radiant
Standard Action     Ranged 20
Requirement: You must have used your second wind or total defense while within an area of bright light some time since the beginning of your previous turn.
Target: One creature
Attack: Ability Score +9 vs. Reflex
Hit: 6D12 + Ability Score modifier radiant damage, and the target is blinded (save ends).
Miss: Half damage, and the target grants combat advantage (save ends).
Special: When you gain this power, choose an ability score to use when making attack rolls and damage rolls with this power.

So about these features and powers...
In designing, I tried to remain absolutely authentic to what these Pokemon are capable of doing in the game. What this means is that every feature and power described was lifted directly from the Pokemon's actual available move list, excluding TM's, HM's, and Egg moves, of course. Now, this means that a few attacks that you would normally think of as attack powers have been re-envisioned into more passive abilities.

So here's the thing... I'm not that great at balancing home-brewed feats and paragon paths to begin with, so the fact that I didn't put very much effort into balance this time around means that I'm really not sure how this turned out.

Poison Powder seems strong, but I think it's about comparable to Shadow Assassin's Riposte in the PHB. It's Sleep Powder that I'm more concerned about than anything else as far as the path features go. Razor Leaf and Solar Beam look right to me when their limitations are considered, but if they're overpowered, I could easily just lower the damage.

PARAGON TIER FEATS:

IVYSAUR'S LEECH SEED
Prerequisite: 11th level, Bulbasaur, Bulbasaur's Leech Seed feat
Benefit: Whenever a creature seeded by you takes any ongoing damage, you gain temporary hit points equal to the damage taken instead of only equal to one-half of the damage taken.

IVYSAUR'S OVERGROWTH
Prerequisite: 11th level, Bulbasaur, overgrow racial power
Benefit: The effects of your overgrow racial power, last until the start of your next turn.

IVYSAUR'S VINE WHIP
Prerequisite: 11th level, Bulbasaur, vine whip racial feature, Bulbasaur's Vine Whip feat
Benefit: When you score a critical hit against a creature with one of your vine whips, that creature is grabbed by you. You cannot use that vine whip until this grab is ended. If you decide to end this grab as a free action, you can knock the creature prone.

Notice
Be aware that none of these feats actually require you to take the Ivysaur Paragon Path. I was just being uncreative with names was all. The same will hold true for the epic tier feats. >_<

VENUSAUR
anime003.jpg?t=1261810681_Venusaur__by_guardianofire.jpgvenusaur_by_Goretoon.jpg

Prerequisite: 21st level, Bulbasaur, Ivysaur

VENUSAUR FEATURES:
Final Form Evolution (21st level): Your size increases to Medium, and either your Strength or Constitution Score increases by 2.
Venusaur average height is 6'3" - 7'0", and Venusaur average weight is 200 - 240 lb.
Worry Seed (24th level): Whenever you score a critical hit against an enemy, either that enemy or another enemy of your choice within 3 squares of that enemy is dazed until the end of your next turn. This feature counts as a fear effect.
Synthesis (30th level): When you use your second wind within an area of bright light, you can use it as a minor action instead of as a standard action, you can spend two healing surges instead of only one healing surge, and you gain a +4 bonus to all defenses instead of only a +2 bonus.

Petal Dance (Venusaur Utility 26)
Petals swirl around you as you unleash your ultimate power and wrath upon your enemies.
Daily
Minor Action     Personal
Requirement: You must be bloodied.
Effect: Roll 1D4. Until the start of your next turn, you gain a power bonus equal to the result of that roll to attack rolls, damage rolls, saving throws, all defenses, and speed.
Until the end of the encounter, you repeat the effect of this power at the start of each of your turns.

EPIC TIER FEATS:

VENUSAUR'S LEECH SEED
Prerequisite: 21st level, Bulbasaur, Bulbasaur's Leech Seed feat
Benefit: You can have any number of creatures seeded at a time.

VENUSAUR'S OVERGROWTH
Prerequisite: 21st level, Bulbasaur, overgrow racial power
Benefit: When you use your overgrow racial power, and for the duration of the power, you can treat any creatures and objects up to one additional square away from you as though they were adjacent to you, and the ranges of your melee and ranged powers increase by an additional one.

VENUSAUR'S VINE WHIP
Prerequisite: 21st level, Bulbasaur, vine whip racial feature, Bulbasaur's Vine Whip feat
Benefit: Your vine whips gain the Reach property, and you can count this extra reach towards determining whether a creature that you have grabbed is within your melee reach.

And that's all!
Yikes, I've never actually home-brewed an Epic Destiny before, so this is probably terrible, but I had to give it a try some time, right?

Anyways, that's everything, so comment away! ^_^
If I get enough positive feedback that I feel comfortable moving forward, I'll do Charmander next and then finish up with Squirtle.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
OK, I'm kinda speechless ...

well, if you remove magic items from the equasion, that's actually a fun idea to work with. Everyone plays a pokemon ...

edit: can't wait to see charmander
Qube's block builder: if you want to create blocks for powers, items and monsters for this forum, but don't know html
Signature in a box
For years, I've lived a double life. In the day, I do my job - I ride the bus, roll up my sleeves with the hoi-polloi. But at night, I live a life of exhilaration, of missed heartbeats and adrenalin. And, if the truth be known a life of dubious virtue. I won't deny it - I've been engaged in violence, even indulged in it. I've maimed and killed adversaries, and not merely in self-defence. I've exhibited disregard for life, limb and property, and savoured every moment. You may not think it, to look of me but I have commanded armies, and conquered worlds. And though in achieving these things I've set morality aside, I have no regrets. For though I've led a double life, at least I can say - I've lived.

3.jpg
D&D Home Page - What Monster Are You? - Stone Gaint

Scipio: And Chihuahuas have definitely improved in the "attacking ankles, yapping, and being generally annoying" environment. Me: OK, am I the only who sees an analogy between forum trolls & Chihuahuas?
Some of my work:
XDMC 19 (silver): A full fledged assassins guild (with stats, skill challenges, ...)link XDMC 14 (Bronze): a one shot campaign for beginning DMs/players. link XDMC 16: Paragon path: the Epitome: being better then all then any one else. link (note: this is balanced) XDMC 25: The Gelatinous Cube mount Guide To Disreality: a collection of houserules - Introduction & table of content
My ego in a box
who am I kidding? my ego would never fit in a box
Well... Two concerns, but thats it...

Way I read the Paragon feat, it essentially gives you threatening reach for a turn. With the epic destiny and epic feat, that'd be threatening reach 4 for a turn per encounter. Now, by epic levels, this kind of stuff can be done by most wardens, but when combined with these racial features, it could become very powerful, so a note for review, maybe.

The level 16 feature I'd say was probably rather powerful... If i was doing it, I might do...

Any opponent that scores a critical hit against you is weakened until the end of their next turn.
You sir are a genius.....I have nothing more to say, and will now go back and reread the other comments.  Please, I must ask can you do a write up for Charmander next? Expect a friend request soon. 

EDIT:  Perhaps, Overgrow should a useable once you are bloodied?  Would this balance the power level?  Flavor wise I see it making a little more sense Bulbasaur's attacks get stronger when he is lower hp.
I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both instinctive and emotional. I value my own instincts and desires, and either ignore or crush anything that stands in my way; planning and foresight are unnecessary. At best, I'm determined and fierce; at worst, I'm headstrong and infantile.
Pushing for a Viashino Planeswalker and Ugin!
I'm impressed. Generally I'm wary of Pokemon conversions to tabletop gaming, but this one is good! I like the way the evolutions are paragon paths and epic destinies. [Qualifier: I've barely done any paragon as a player or DM, so it's difficult for me to accurately judge even the official paths much less destinies.]

Generally I like the powers and traits, however I find the Overgrow power to be a little vague. You can treat creatures and objects - nice touch including objects - up to 2 squares away as though adjacent. I feel as though this is mainly to interact with your powers such as Cleave. Although you don't threaten from that square, I think people will intuitively want to take opportunity attacks as though from that square. I suppose with Ivysaur's Overgrowth as written, allies can apply their reach 1 abilities like Lay on Hands as though adjacent to you, but I'm not sure if this is intended.

I like the interpretation of Solar Beam requiring a second wind/total defense the prior turn.
Way I read the Paragon feat, it essentially gives you threatening reach for a turn. With the epic destiny and epic feat, that'd be threatening reach 4 for a turn per encounter. Now, by epic levels, this kind of stuff can be done by most wardens, but when combined with these racial features, it could become very powerful, so a note for review, maybe.

Hmm, would that become too ridiculous if one were to play a Bulbasaur Warden? If so, I could change Overgrow to only work while bloodied (as Lizard Mage suggested), bringing it closer to what it actually does in the game. However, it's just an encounter power, and it takes a heroic, a paragon, and two epic feats to work that well, so it is really all that bad?

The level 16 feature I'd say was probably rather powerful... If i was doing it, I might do...

Any opponent that scores a critical hit against you is weakened until the end of their next turn.

I was kind of really hoping to make it knock unconscious, but would it maybe work if the enemy got a bonus to the save?

Please, I must ask can you do a write up for Charmander next?

That's the plan. ^_^

Generally I like the powers and traits, however I find the Overgrow power to be a little vague. You can treat creatures and objects - nice touch including objects - up to 2 squares away as though adjacent. I feel as though this is mainly to interact with your powers such as Cleave.

It's meant to interact with attack powers, yet, but it's also meant to interact with skill checks that require you to be adjacent to a creature or object (like Bluff to feint or Thievery to pickpocket or a Heal to stablize a dying ally), items that require you be adjacent to a creature to work (like administering a potion to an ally), some class features that only work on adjacent creature (like Warden's Nature's Wrath), and so on. If there's a specific use that you find odd, however, it might be something that I overlooked, so please do bring it up.

Although you don't threaten from that square, I think people will intuitively want to take opportunity attacks as though from that square.

That's what the Paragon tier feat is for. Otherwise, the effects of Overgrow only last until the end of your current turn exactly to prevent opportunity attack abuse at early levels.

I suppose with Ivysaur's Overgrowth as written, allies can apply their reach 1 abilities like Lay on Hands as though adjacent to you, but I'm not sure if this is intended.

Yup, that's intended too. Any powers with a range of Melee touch or Melee 1 now work from an additional square away, including Lay on Hands, Cure Light Wounds, and many Monk powers, including Centered Flurry of Blows.

Again, this power does quite a lot of stuff, but I can make it only work while bloodied if that's necessary. Also, I was under the impression myself that it was on the more powerful side, and that's why the rest of the basic racial traits are rather light on mechanical effect. The plant keyword and being magical beasts are essentially power-neutral features like Fey Origin, so the only mechanically significant racial traits they get are the bonus on saves versus poison and the bonus on checks to escape a grab.

EDIT: Oh, I'm sorry, I misread that last part. No, Ivysaur's Overgrowth doesn't do that. You can treat creatures and objects as though they were adjacent to you, but those creatures and objects don't get to treat you as though you were adjacent to them, and even if they did, they are not granted a bonus to the ranges of their melee powers, so you would still be out of their reach. Basically, the intent of the power is to grant you threatening reach for opportunity attacks and to allow immediate actions and such that specify something about an adjacent creature to work from further away as well.

So question, how far you going to take this? My wife has expressed intrest in the possiblity of Evee, lot of writes up to do for a grand amount of the little buggers.  Perhaps, seeing how you are handling this turning this into a small community project?
I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
I'm both instinctive and emotional. I value my own instincts and desires, and either ignore or crush anything that stands in my way; planning and foresight are unnecessary. At best, I'm determined and fierce; at worst, I'm headstrong and infantile.
So question, how far you going to take this? My wife has expressed intrest in the possiblity of Evee, lot of writes up to do for a grand amount of the little buggers.  Perhaps, seeing how you are handling this turning this into a small community project?

My current plan is only to do Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle, but if I get enough positive feedback, I may consider doing more.

However, it's worth noting that I'm very limited in what sort of Pokemon I can actually make playable, because most Pokemon don't have arms. I got lucky with the three original starters because Charmander and Squirtle both have arms and can thus wield weapons, etc., as normal and Bulbasaur happens to have Vine Whips function as its arms and hands, but beyond that, I think that Pokemon like Eevee would be very difficult to make work. Furthermore, I don't want to do so many that they become redundant. For example, I wouldn't want to do Chikorita at this point, because there would just be way too much overlap and redundancy with Bulbasaur.

If, however, you'd like to run a pokemon-only game as opposed to integrating them into a typical D&D setting and plan on making the issue of arms and holding things obsolete, then yes, I suppose more different species may become possible, so then I'd just have to design Eevee... and seven completely different paragon paths for Eevee. O_O

Okay, so I didn't read all the comments because I wanted to reply, but I agree with the folks who said you're a genius! Wink (I must also note that I have no clue about balance, so I can't comment on that.)

Ooh. Eevee... I would love a _Class_ for Eevees which would allow them to change into any of the 7 forms much like a Druid can use their Beast Form. :D

If, however, you'd like to run a pokemon-only game as opposed to integrating them into a typical D&D setting and plan on making the issue of arms and holding things obsolete, then yes, I suppose more different species may become possible, so then I'd just have to design Eevee... and seven completely different paragon paths for Eevee. O_O

Or there is that :p I just like the idea of an Eevee who isn't "locked" into an evolution.

I also look forward to Charmander and Squirtle.
A tremendous undertaking to say the least, I agree unless there was enough positive feedback for it I too would stop after the original three. 

I have to say you did think this through, and you are right, getting into several other would just be overlapping from several of the basics.  Still this is really cool and I do applaud you for it.
I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
The biggest control area so far is a Goliath warden with stoneblessed paragon path...
11th level feature(+1 reach), reach weapon, form.
The 12th level utility of the Paragon Path grants threatening reach. So... he constantly has a reach of 3 squares away, and once per encounter he can turn that to threatening reach, at level 12 thats easily achievable.

The Bulbasaur build...
Reach weapon, Racial Power+1, Feat+1 while overgrown, Form

Threatening Reach of 4 squares away and a reach of 2 for the rest of the encounter.

Hmm... Its a different way of going about it... and I don't suppose its that bad really, when looked at objectively. Seems fair enough.

I don't really think there's a way to make neuter unconscious enough to make it a constant effect with a one in... 40 chance of triggering(Which, arguably, could very easily make the effect too weak if you enuter unconscious so much, which you'd really need to do...). Hmmm....

Remove the saving throw and perhaps have 'Your enemy falls prone and grants combat advantage to all your allies until the end of the next turn?'

Its essentially unconscious without the massive defensive gimp and being helpless(Coup de Grace is MEAN)
I haven't paid that much attention to PP design since I've never neared entering Paragon tier so if there's a precedent, I've missed it, but don't attack powers which let you choose what ability score to use usually limit you to three choices rather than any of the six?

I don't really like your god choice, but then, I'm regionist against Hoenn. I'd much rather see Kanto natives worship Kanto Legendaries. (I guess I can understand if you want each of them to have different gods and are only doing the first three.)

Awesome Christmas present!
I don't really think there's a way to make neuter unconscious enough to make it a constant effect with a one in... 40 chance of triggering(Which, arguably, could very easily make the effect too weak if you enuter unconscious so much, which you'd really need to do...). Hmmm....

Remove the saving throw and perhaps have 'Your enemy falls prone and grants combat advantage to all your allies until the end of the next turn?'

Its essentially unconscious without the massive defensive gimp and being helpless(Coup de Grace is MEAN)

I'm considering a couple of changes right now, but I'll keep something in the direction of this idea in mind, thank you. =)

I haven't paid that much attention to PP design since I've never neared entering Paragon tier so if there's a precedent, I've missed it, but don't attack powers which let you choose what ability score to use usually limit you to three choices rather than any of the six?

Yes, that's true, but I see no reason why it must always be the case. It's not as though it's unbalanced or bad for design to include more options, so I don't see why not if the flavor warrants it.

Besides, a problem I ran into when trying to do that was that Razor Leaf fit best as STR/DEX/WIS, but Solar Beam fit best as CON/WIS/CHA, and I think that having two different ability score option arrays in the same paragon path is more trouble than it's worth. I'm having this discussion over on the Races forum too, but unless I get a very convincing argument about how to limit both powers to the same three stats in a way that's actually thematically appropriate for both powers and for the paragon path as a whole, then I don't think I'll change this one.

I don't really like your god choice, but then, I'm regionist against Hoenn. I'd much rather see Kanto natives worship Kanto Legendaries. (I guess I can understand if you want each of them to have different gods and are only doing the first three.)

Yeah, I'm only currently planning on doing the three Kanto starters (any more would easily get very redundant), and I have reasons for them to each worship a different set of legendaries.

Awesome Christmas present!

And Happy New Year! ^_^

Any chance of Totodile? He's pretty much the best starter ever. Anyone who disagrees does not, in fact, exist.
Any chance of Totodile? He's pretty much the best starter ever. Anyone who disagrees does not, in fact, exist.

Well it's physiology and moveset are very similar to Squirtle's, so it'll be reasonably possible to reflavor Squirtle to fit.  The only change that may need to be made is to ability score boosts. While Squirtle gets CON and WIS, I think that STR and CON would fit Totodile better, probably with the addition of a +1 racial boost to Will Defense.

And I will say that I think that second generation had the best array of possible starters...

Well it's physiology and moveset are very similar to Squirtle's, so it'll be reasonably possible to reflavor Squirtle to fit.  The only change that may need to be made is to ability score boosts. While Squirtle gets CON and WIS, I think that STR and CON would fit Totodile better, probably with the addition of a +1 racial boost to Will Defense.

And I will say that I think that second generation had the best array of possible starters...

Bah! You people have no appreication for the greatness that was treeko!  While I am a big fan of totodile, Treeko spits upon him and his alligator ilk!
I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
Statted Totodile up as a companion NPC.

Totodile  Level 2 Defender

Speed 6, Swim 6

HP 35  Bloodied 17

AC 19  Fortitude 19  Reflex 12  Will 12

Totodile takes his turn in the initiative order immediately after the person he imprinted on upon hatching.

Leer
Any enemy that Totodile hits with an attack is marked until the end of his next turn.

Tail Whip
Immediate Reaction
Trigger: An adjacent enemy violates Totodile's mark.
Attack: +11 vs AC
Hit: Target is knocked prone
Special: Tail Whip can only be used once per round

Bite
Standard Action, At-will
Melee
Hit: 1d10+3 damage and the target takes a -2 to its next attack.
Special: If the target is grabbed when Totodile makes this attack, the penalty to attack rolls lasts until the end of the target's next turn.

I Choose You!
Requirement: Totodile must be adjacent to an ally.
Range 5/10
Standard, Encounter
Hit: 1d4+3. Totodile ends the attack adjacent to the target and grabs the target.

Rage
Standard Action
Effect: Totodile spends 1 healing surge and regains a quarter of his HP. Totodile also gains a +2 to all his defenses until the end of his next turn.

Water Gun
Close Blast 3
Minor, Encounter - Cold
Attack: +8 vs Reflex
Hit: 1d8+3 cold damage

Ice Fang
Standard Action, Daily - Cold
Hit: 2d10+3 cold damage, Target is stunned until the end of its next turn. 
Hm, maybe you could include a small "conversion packet" for the other starters that are nearly identical stat-wise to the Kanto starters. The Poison-type isn't appropriate for Chikorita, for example, so include an alternate ability.

Bah! You people have no appreication for the greatness that was treeko!  While I am a big fan of totodile, Treeko spits upon him and his alligator ilk!

The *ONLY* thing Treeko has on Totodile is a type advantage.

Besides...

MUDKIPZ
/thread
It might be an idea, perhaps, to work a write-up much like shifters, mayhaps, for each 'type' starter, since they have so many similarities...

There seems to be a lot of call for the idea, and I'd be willing to help with the project if you didn't want to do it on your own, especially Paragon Path-wise (Lets face it, you've been pretty much running the advice section of these Homebrew boards since 4e came out, especially around races, mayhaps its time us lot gave something back for all the help. Heh.)
What about two stage evolvers?

I know the games have moved away from them recently but there are still plenty out there.

Treecko? I have enough appreciation for Treecko not to spell his name incorrectly twice.
^_~

Hm, maybe you could include a small "conversion packet" for the other starters that are nearly identical stat-wise to the Kanto starters. The Poison-type isn't appropriate for Chikorita, for example, so include an alternate ability.

Actually, the thing about the first generation starters is that they're the only set all capable of making reasonably good PC races. Chikorita, for instance, would not make a reasonably good PC race because it doesn't have arms and doesn't have anything like vine whip on its move list to compensate. Turtwig runs into the same problem, and then Treecko is totally different from Bulbasaur, different enough to warrant completetely different starting racial traits. In fact, Treecko has an almost completely different move list than Bulbasaur does too, so I wouldn't be too opposed writing it up at some point.

MUDKIPZ

Have no arms. Wouldn't work as a PC race. ^_^

It might be an idea, perhaps, to work a write-up much like shifters, mayhaps, for each 'type' starter, since they have so many similarities...

Again, not every starter from later generation would be able to make a reasonably good PC race because of their lack of arms: Chikorita, Mudkip, Turtwig... I'm still debating over Cyndaquil and Torchick...

There seems to be a lot of call for the idea, and I'd be willing to help with the project if you didn't want to do it on your own, especially Paragon Path-wise...

If you'd like to, then go for it! =)

I know the games have moved away from them recently but there are still plenty out there.

What? Do you mean pokemon that can evolve into more than one different type of pokemon? Just design more than one available paragon path. =)

Actually, the thing about the first generation starters is that they're the only set all capable of making reasonably good PC races. Chikorita, for instance, ... doesn't have anything like vine whip on its move list to compensate.

What? *checks* Holy crap, it doesn't.
I never noticed that. Ash's Chikorita used Vine Whip just as much as Bulbasaur in the anime.

MUDKIPZ

Have no arms. Wouldn't work as a PC race. ^_^

Psh, arms are over rated.

...Though, that could be an interesting challenge. Deciding what abilities would make up for the lack of arms.

What? Do you mean pokemon that can evolve into more than one different type of pokemon? Just design more than one available paragon path. =)

Pretty sure he means Pokemon like Rattata -> Raticate. Maybe not the best example because it doesn't meet your arms requirement... Mankey -> Primeape. Cubone -> Marowak.

What? *checks* Holy crap, it doesn't.
I never noticed that. Ash's Chikorita used Vine Whip just as much as Bulbasaur in the anime.

I know. It's bizarre. It's an egg move for Chikorita, so it is technically possible for it to learn it, but it's exactly as possible as Ancient Power or Counter or Wring Out.

Deciding what abilities would make up for the lack of arms.

I don't think that anything could. You use your arms and hands to wield weapons and implements and shields. I don't think that making up for the loss of those with powerful racial features is a very good idea...

Pretty sure he means Pokemon like Rattata -> Raticate.

Ah. Then I just wouldn't bother with an Epic Destiny, and that would be that.

Whoops, too late, already started thinking about it.

The games do give them one item slot:
So you could have a set of items that only work for Pokemon without arms which replicates the special effects of weapons/impliments/etc.

Unfortunately, Chimchar's player will probably complain when the Pokemon only items work for handless Pokemon but not for him. (Not sure if Piplup's flippers would count for hands.)

I have a little less of a concern about hands because I like the idea of a Pokemon only campaign.
I thought of this while on the road the last few days: instead of the Sleep Power effect, how about something like Stun Spore? Instead of being knocked out, they're immobilized, or stunned.

I haven't played enough 4e yet to know if you should change the Save or not, though.
So you could have a set of items that only work for Pokemon without arms which replicates the special effects of weapons/impliments/etc.

Theotetically, yes, I suppose that you could, but while that might solve most of the weapon, implement, shield, and attack bonus concerns, it still doesn't solve the RP concerns of "No, you still can't pick anything up."

Unfortunately, Chimchar's player will probably complain when the Pokemon only items work for handless Pokemon but not for him.

Just remind him that he has opposable thumbs.

(Not sure if Piplup's flippers would count for hands.)

I'd probably give them the benefit of the doubt.

I have a little less of a concern about hands because I like the idea of a Pokemon only campaign.

That being the case, it's probably fine.

instead of the Sleep Power effect, how about something like Stun Spore? Instead of being knocked out, they're immobilized, or stunned.

Because Stun Spore isn't on Bulbasaur's move list. Sleep Powder is. ^_~

Theotetically, yes, I suppose that you could, but while that might solve most of the weapon, implement, shield, and attack bonus concerns, it still doesn't solve the RP concerns of "No, you still can't pick anything up."

Have you considered creating your own weapons, since you are taking it this far? You know, something simple like Claws or Spikes. 
Or if you don't want weapons at all, Tattoos or other sorts of "psudo-equipment" could replace the lack of weapons to turn into magical weapons with enhancements. The "Playing Pokemon" project should probably end up as even more Power-based than 4e already is, since two at-will powers from the same class have more variation than two types of magical swords.

Pretty sure he means Pokemon like Rattata -> Raticate.

Ah. Then I just wouldn't bother with an Epic Destiny, and that would be that.

Or a generic Epic Destiny (and Paragon Paths) for each type of Pokemon, one for Normal, Fire, Water, Grass, ect... I personally like Cubone a lot more than it's evolved form, and would prefer to keep it at it's current state than let it get evolved. This also fixes the Pokemon that don't evolve at all.
I think someone mentioned something on an epic destiny for Eevee to turn into any of them by choice. I get a feeling that'll end up like the Genasi. First a feat to allow switching between forms, and then a paragon path (or in this case, Epic Destiny) to specialize in switching between them or using them all at once.
...Did anyone else just imagine an Elemental God Eevee?
...I did.  The idea both intrigues and terrifies me. o.o;;
On the issue of pokemon without hands, all pokemon in the games have a 'hold' slot, right?

Well... give out the racial feature 'held items', like so...

At creation, a player may pick a weapon or implement group. It may use the damage profile of any weapon with which it is proficient within the group as a natural weapon, and they may be enchanted and affected by feats as such. The type of weapon within the group may be changed over an extended rest.

If a player is proficient, they may also pick a shield, which works in the same fashion.
First, I want to say great job!

Second, I want to say that I am very interested in this project, and would happily help/share ideas!

Third: ideas!

- I like the idea of Pokemon "equipment." Natural weapons and armor can be purchased just like regular weapons and armor. Or course, regular armor can be reflavored for natural armor... But, things like "Claws" that count as light blades and possibly give an item bonus to Thievery checks (like thieves tools) might be nice.

While unifying "poke-armor" would be good from a rules perspective, hand-waving is so much easier... and I think that giving Steel Types plate armor proficency is really interesting! xD 

Also, "purchasing" natural weapons would allow pokemon to be, in gerneral, more on par with most PC races. Note that even in 4e, Warforged are not required to take an enabler feat to become monks (while bulbasaur here seems to require one to become any weapon-based class).  These natural weapons could avert some of the "no-hands" stiga attached to some pokemon as a PC race... But not all pokemon, and not all the stigma, admitedly. Plus, you could do weapon-style "multiclassing" then.  Food for thought.

- If magic items are included for Pokemon, I would have you consider having many held items such as "Miracle Seed" and "Quick Claw" be Ki implements for Pokemon.  Miracle Seed might as a Ki implement for any grass type pokemon (and have some healing-based daily power?), while quick claw might function for any pokemon and give an item bonus to initiative. Having them be Ki implements would allow them to add their enhancement bonus to any attack, ideally.
Let your voice be heard! Tell WotC to Publish D&D 4e under the OGL!
Also, I found some things you might like!
Have you considered creating your own weapons, since you are taking it this far?

My original intent has always been that these pokemon would function with all existing classes, equipment, feats, skills, etc., just like any other homebrew race, so no, I haven't really considered anything like that. Others are more than welcome to come up with such systems, but I think it would be a bit much for me. >_<

If I do ever create a Pokemon without hands or reasonable substitute, then XiahouXu's solution seems pretty reasonable.

I personally like Cubone a lot more than it's evolved form, and would prefer to keep it at it's current state than let it get evolved. This also fixes the Pokemon that don't evolve at all.

In these cases, going by my original intent, such a character would simply take a paragon path or epic destiny tied to their class otherwise unrelated to their race, just as as Human is not required to take the Adroit Explorer paragon path.

lso, "purchasing" natural weapons would allow pokemon to be, in gerneral, more on par with most PC races. Note that even in 4e, Warforged are not required to take an enabler feat to become monks (while bulbasaur here seems to require one [feat] to become any weapon-based class).

No, the Vine Whip racial trait specifies that the plant-tentacles functions as arms and hands. They can wield weapons, use implements, hold shields, manipulate items, and so on. The image of a Bulbasaur wielding an axe or dual scimitars or a bow is awesome to me. This is already supposed to be on par with most PC races, and I probably wouldn't have done this otherwise. ^_~

- If magic items are included for Pokemon, I would have you consider having many held items such as "Miracle Seed" and "Quick Claw" be Ki implements for Pokemon.  Miracle Seed might as a Ki implement for any grass type pokemon (and have some healing-based daily power?), while quick claw might function for any pokemon and give an item bonus to initiative. Having them be Ki implements would allow them to add their enhancement bonus to any attack, ideally.

That's not a bad idea at all. I like that.

Also, I am curious as to where you found those stat blocks.

I am glad you like the idea of Ki implements, and I didn't notice the "hands" line. Ooops! I might write some ki implements up in a little bit (and edit this post in doing so).

I will not name the location I found those statblocks, but suffice it to say that it is the internet den of evil, in the subsection where great grognards (hint: AKA traditional gamers) visit. If you have to ask what that is, you are probably better off not knowing

FYI, I hate internet explorer.  I use it to try to type up these items in a readable way... But as soon as I go to subit it, it looses all the stuff I worked on.  SO, I will be giving you the reader's digest version of my thougts this time arround.

I have no idea what level these items should be, FYI, so bear with me. However, I intend them to be available at enhancemnet bonus +1 levels.

Miracle SeedLevel
A seed enchanted with the essence of life
Implement (Ki Focus)
Enhancement: Attack rolls and damage rolls
Critical: +1d6 radiant damage per plus
Property: Pokemon may weild this ki focus
Property: You gain an item bonus to your healing surge value equal to this ki focus'es enhancement bonus.
Power (Daily * Healing): No Action. Use this power when you rest with temporary hit points remaining. During the rest, heal a number of hit points equal to the temporary hit points you have upon taking the rest.

Design Notes
I originally had it so that only grass types could use miracle seed. I also had it so that the power, instead of healing temporary hit points, gave you a healing surge when you failed on a death throw. The first build was just not good.  I think this one is more reasonable, and more primal feeling.  It still has a touch of divine, however, because it critical damage still is radiant.

Quick ClawLevel
A small, sharp claw charm.
Implement (Ki Focus)
Critical: +1d6 damage per plus
Property: You gain an item bonus to your initiative equal to this ki focus'es enhancement bonus.
Power (Daily): No Action. Trigger: You are surprised.
Effect: You are no longer surprised, and may act in the surprise round.

Design Notes
The temptation for a daily "You go first" power was tempting, but it was OP and interfeared with the item's property.

BTW, as written, these ki focuses can still be used by normal characters. Which. Is. Awesome.

Hidden Flash MedalionLevel
A gold medalion engraved with the rune for "light."
Implement (Ki Focus)
Critical: +1d6 radiant damage per plus
Property: Targets of the first attack that you hit with this implement after using its power take a -1 penalty to the next attack roll they make against you before the end of your next turn.
11th level: -2 penalty
21st level: -3 penalty
Power (Encounter * Arcane): Minor Action. You use the wizard cantrip light (Player's Handbook p. 158).

Design Notes
I thought that the idea of using HMs and TMs as items would be pretty cool, and them being wand-like ki focuses sounded like the perfect thing. Even though in the games, M stands for "machine," and the device looks like a CD, changing it to "medalion" for a D&D type setting is not that much of a stretch IMO, and makes it an even better fit as a ki focus.

Origionally, I had intended for HMs to be for utility type powers, and for TMs to be for attack powers, but I realized that was a false dichotomy.

I edied the property. It origionally worked so long as light was active, but that sounded way powerful to me. Now its just strong enough to be worth it, but not a constant defense buff.

Psychic Technical MedalionLevel
A silver medalion embelished by amythist dust.
Implement (Ki Focus)
Critical: +1d6 psychic damage per plus
Power (Daily * Psionic, Implement, Psychic, Augmentable): Standard Action. You use the psion power mind thrust as if it were augmented by two power points (Player's Handbook 3).

Shadowball Technical MedalionLevel
A obsidian medalion enchanted not to chip away from its perfectly ciruclar shape.
Implement (Ki Focus)
Critical: +1d6 necrotic damage per plus
Property: When you hit a target with this item's power while you have concealment, it grants you combat advantage on your next attack roll against it
Power (Daily * Arcane, Implement, Necrotic): Standard Action. You use the warlock power flickering venom, except it deals necrotic damage (Forgotten Realms Player's Guide p. 35).

Design Notes
These are two of my favorite TM moves (other than Earthquake and Dragonclaw). Both are powers that *can* be used by anybody, as written, but would only be useful to characters with high intiligence (like kadabra, unlike tyranityar) or what-have-you. I tried to make the effects that granted a boon if you used the power in such a way, but nothing comes to mind for Psychic. Idealy, it would be something that would give a slight advantage if certain actions were taken after or conditions were active when the power were used.
Neat idea turning the TM/HMs into medallions.
For reference sake, a TM appears in, IIRC, the second volume of Electric Tale of Pikachu. In that it looks like a box and it's used by being split open and held on either side of Eevee's head.

I'm getting tempted to start a group for this. Anyone be interested?
I just thought of a joke... dunno if its good but here goes

its to do with "natural weapons" the poke PCs will get all their armor and weapons from a... Skarmory!!

hehe
---

anyways... a great and quite big project... whilst its cut from 400 odds down a bit by the req of "handed" poke's its still a big thing.

i might as welll post my first thoughts on our two remaining "starters"

charmander

Lizard Origin?
resist fire dmg?
+2 to say Endurance and Perception?
Natural Claws obv.
+2 STR and +2DEX ??
erm the ENC power could be Rage!! for increased damage over say... three rounds of +1 each time to dmg rolls, +2 at epic... and a nice feat slot to put mayes a Stat into the boost? or a +2 norm, +3 at epic?

Flavour wise we Have to add in the tail flame represents health!!

haha, a charmander sneezing... a wee puff of smoke at HC, small flame at Paragon, and a fully fledged jet of flame at Epic...hhaahahahaa

=================

Squirtle

hes a water mouse aint he?

+2 CON and WIS, as mentioned.
water breathing and +2 to speed whislt swimming?
natural armor boost?
ENC power is... hide in the shell for defense boost!

no flavour ideas for squirtle

====
though i see the logic... i must say im a wee bit sad this cant include Houndour as a PC... my favourite 1st stage!!
==

hope this helps, and the project does kick ofF!

yours sincerely
                        Ifritus
[/sblock]Alright, trying one of my personal favorite Pokemon. I don't know why, but I've always liked this one. (Note: The last Pokemon game I played in the main series was Gold and Silver, I actually don't know how they edited these guys in the new versions, except for the Levitate ability.)
Much of this was copied from Bulbasuar (for format) and then edited to match Unown.

UNOWN

RACIAL TRAITS
Average Height:
1'6" - 1'10"
Average Weight: 10 - 11 lb.

Ability Scores: +2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma
Size: Tiny (Small in combat: See Levitate)
Speed: 4 Squares (Hover) 
Vision: Normal

Languages: Pokemon, choice of one other. May learn Supernal and Abyssal at Lv. 1. (Does not auto-get common due to Unown being ancient) You take the shape of any letter in the language of your choice.
Skill Bonuses: +2 History, +2 Arcana
Psychic Type: Gain Resist 5 Psychic and Resist 5 Force and Vulnerable 5 Shadow. Resist 5 Psychic increases to 10 at Lv. 11, and 15 at Lv. 21.
Pokemon: You are a magical beast.
Uh...wait a second, where's the mouth?: You do not need to Eat, Drink or Breathe.
Trance: You only need 4 hours to benefit from an extended rest. While in a trance, you are fully aware of your surroundings and notice approaching enemies and other events ans normal.
Levitate: This ability is always active while the character is conscious. You float up to three feet (one meter) in the air, and is considered hovering. For combat purposes, this will make the character Small-sized. You also get the ability to levitate any number of ojbects equal to your Light-Load weight limit. If any are weapons, implements or shields, you may use them as if you had two hands (remember, for combat purposes you are Small). All items carried this way get a -2 on all disarm checks. Unown can not carry a medium or heavy load. If you fall unconscious, Levitate temporarily deactivates and you and your posessions drop to the ground.
Hidden Power: You can use Hidden Power as an encounter power.
Overgrow (Bulbasaur Racial Power)

Hidden Power (Unown Racial Power)
You draw upon the power of the ancients and unleash it at your foes.
Encounter
Minor Action     Ranged 5
Target:
One creature
Special: Roll 1d10 to determine which stat to use for attack and what damage type BEFORE you roll for attack or damage.
     d10     Attack Type     Damage Type
       1              Dex                  Acid
       2              Dex                  Cold
       3              Dex                  Fire
       4              Dex                  Force
       5              Dex                  Lightning
       6              Cha                 Necrotic
       7              Cha                 Poison
       8              Cha                 Psychic
       9              Cha                 Radiant
       10            Cha                 Thunder
Attack: Dexterity +2 or Charisma +2 (see above) vs. Reflex
Hit: 1d8 + Dexterity or Charisma modifier damage. Damage type is randomly determined (see above)

Design Decisions:
Alright, like the problem with Bulbasuar, Unown is considered tiny, however in all the scenes I've seen them in, they are flying around. So I gave them Small for combat purposes thinking that Levitate would make their "head" about the same level as a small creature. Because Unown can ONLY hover, I decreased their move to 4, in comparison to Bulbasuar's 5.

Naturally, not having arms and legs would be a huge disadvantage to Unown because it can't use ANY equipment that way. So I simply extended the levitate to other objects, while limiting it to a fair light-load-only.

Resist Psychic is natural, since Unown is a psychic type. Psychics are also resistant to Fighting attacks, but weak to Shadow attacks. Force is the closest I could find to Fighting. If I remember correctly, some Genasi get Resist 5(+) to their element without getting a Vulnerable. Giving an extra Resist with it's companion Vulnerable seemed fair. If the Resist 5 Force is removed, so should the Vulnerable 5 Shadow.

Due to the chaotic nature of Hidden Power, I wanted Unown to focus being a Sorcerer of the Wild path. Unown's highest stats are Attack and Sp. Attack. Normally I would attribute Attack to Strength, but Wild Sorcerers use Dex more, so I changed it to Dex. (And it makes more sence than Strength anyway). As for Sp. Attack, that could go to either Inteligence or Charisma in my opinion, and Charisma is the Sorcerer's main stat.

As for the languages, Unown seem even more difficult to converse with than any other pokemon, so I figured taking away Common (but allowing a changing one) would be more realistic...kinda. Also because Unown's might have been in the world since the very begining, I felt no remorse in giving them the two forbidden languages as a Lv. 1 option.

Playing an Unown:

Pokedex Entry (source: www.pokemon.com/Pokedex/flash.asp ): Shapes like ancient writing, it is a huge mystery whether language or UNOWN came first.

Unown's are a mysterious race, even amung Pokemon. They often live in the ruins of old civilizations, shaped like any kind of writing within. It's highly possible for Unown to be shaped like Rellanic script to be found in Elven ruins, "Davek" Unown found in Dwarven or Giantish ruins, or "Common" Unown to be found in Human ruins. Unown are also the guardians of the ruins, and will feircely defend it from any source of danger.

Personality-wise, Unown feel closer and may react more friendly to races that use the same language as it. "Rellanic" Unown feel particuarlly close to Eladrin, due to their detached nature to the world. Unown are even more so detached than the Eladrin, but they find any event to be of great importance in history, and to the Unown themselves.

When it comes to religion, Unown revere Suicune more than any of the other Three Legendary Beasts. Higher Unown populations are found in ruins revering Suicune. It is said that Unown shall wander the skies when any of the Three Legendary Beasts decide to roam the earth once more.

For naming Unown, use the language its shape is based on and have its name's first letter be its shape. (Example: Dayereth for a "Rellanic" Unown shaped like the "Rellanic" D.)

So about this fluff...
First things first, I refuse to call Suicune, Raikou and Entei by their group title, "The Three Legendary Dogs." Dog is an insult to these majestic beasts, and thus I call them such instead. This is my personal preference, although I do tend to get a little twichy when people keep using Dog. If I were one of them, I'd get insulted if I was called a dog.

When I read the Unown Pokedex entry, I just knew that I could make them fit a little better by having them also adapt to the other langauges, instead of Common. This was unintentional, as I wrote this after their languages. A bit of Fridge Brilliance, if you're familiar with Tropes.

HEROIC TIER FEATS:

FOCUSED POWER
Prerequisite: Unown, Hidden Power racial power
Benefit: Once per day, you may change your roll to determine the Attack/Damage type to one of your choice.

SHIFTING POWER
Prerequisite: Unown, Hidden Power racial power
Benefit: Once per day, you may re-roll your roll to determine the Attack/Damage type if you roll a damage type that your target Resists. You are stuck with the re-roll.

So about them feats...
Man, I wish the Pokemon games got feats, so I could make Hidden Power not suck in the games. I just wanted to give it a little boost. I kinda think these might be a little too weak, so I might get rid of one and change the other to "You may manuallly change the roll if you are unhappy with what you rolled."

Alright, trying one of my personal favorite Pokemon. I don't know why, but I've always liked this one. (Note: The last Pokemon game I played in the main series was Gold and Silver, I actually don't know how they edited these guys in the new versions, except for the Levitate ability.)
Much of this was copied from Bulbasuar (for format) and then edited to match Unown.

Sorry for the double-post, but I just realized I did kinda do this without permission from Crimson_Concerto. Although now I do understand that you're just trying to do Poke-Races, not Poke-Classes and stuff like that as well. You're not trying to make a Pokemon-only world (which is what I originally thought) but a way to homebrew Pokemon into already established D&D worlds. That's why Unown was specifically shaped to be a Wild Sorcerer rather than some uknown Poke-Class.

I think you did a decent job! I do have some critiques for your Unown, though.

On Ability Scores
I really like the idea of it being built for a wild sorcerer, though I am not sure how I feel about it being so limited. I think it would be better for versatility and flavor if you went the Changeling/Doppleganger rout and gave it "+2 Dexterity or Intelegence, +2 Charisma." That way, they could be great wild sorcerers, fey/dark warlocks, wizards or psions (but also rogues!?! O.O).

On Psychic Type
Psychic Type: Gain Resist 5 Psychic and Resist 5 Force and Vulnerable 5 Shadow. Resist 5 Psychic increases to 10 at Lv. 11, and 15 at Lv. 21.

The tiefling has fire resistance 5 + 1/2 its level. I recomend that you change these numbers to that as well. Also, it should be Necrotic damage, and not Shadow damage, methinks.  I would also be responsive to whatever Cromson_Concerto thinks that "Psychic Type" should do.

On Languages
Languages: Pokemon, choice of one other. May learn Supernal and Abyssal at Lv. 1. (Does not auto-get common due to Unown being ancient) You take the shape of any letter in the language of your choice.

I would try to use more formal language in your writeup. "Auto-get" makes sense, but its not a game term and sounds a bit unprofessional. I know its hard to do, trust me.

If it were me, I would have this entry say "Languages: Telepathy 5. You can read and understand Pokemon and one other laungauge of your choice, including Supernal or Abyssal, but do not speak either language. You do not speak, and when a learn a language, you only learn how to read and comprehend it. You take the general shape of character of any script with which you are familiar. You may change shape to a different script character once per turn as a free action."

As written, this gives them the freedom to be eery, and change into whatever letter or symbol they like. (Supernal uses heiroglyphs, not letters).  Also, being able to change shapes makes the Unown not have to be stuck as one letter (when it would arguably not know any letters at birth), and could be very interesting in RP.

On Mouth-ness
Uh...wait a second, where's the mouth?: You do not need to Eat, Drink or Breathe.

The verbs should be lowercased. Also, it should say "You also do not speak (see Languages). You never make Endurace checks to resist the effect of starvation, thirst, or sufocation. All other coditions and effects affect you normally." I would personally change the feature to "No Mouth." Its a lot more concise.

On Trance
Trance

I would change this to the Warforged's Unsleeping Watcher, just for the implication that Unown are always looking at you. This is the effect verbatum (which is mechanicly identical to Trance) "Unsleeping Watcher: You do not sleep and instead enter a state of inactivity for 4 hours to gain the benefits of an extended rest.  While in this state, you are fully aware of your surroundings and notice approahing enemies and other events as normal."

On Levitate
Levitate

Good work here, and personally, I was thinking the exact same thing when it came to Gastly. Though I would adjust some linguistics. I would have it be worded as so:

Levitate: You hover up to three feet in the air. While hovering, you are considered Small-sized. You may also telekeneticly manipulate any number of adjacent objects, provided that you could carry their cumulative weight as a light load. You may telekenticly weild equipment as if you had two humanoid hands and arms. You do not gain the benefits of this feature while you are unconcious, and you and any objects you are telekenticly manipulationg with this feature fall to the ground when you become unconcious.

Mostly, I just streamlined the wording. However, I did take out the bit about +2 vs Disarm or whatever, mostly because Disarm is not a standard option for most characters. Also, if a unown had a ton of potions floating arround it, and could be "holding" them all at once (meaning they would not need to be drawn as a minor action," it is perfectly reasonable for an enemy to be able to grab one with a proper check.

Also, my revision made it unessessary to mention heavy loads. Also, 4e does not have medium loads! :D

On Feats
FOCUSED POWER
Prerequisite: Unown, Hidden Power racial power
Benefit: Once per day, you may change your roll to determine the Attack/Damage type to one of your choice.

SHIFTING POWER
Prerequisite: Unown, Hidden Power racial power
Benefit: Once per day, you may re-roll your roll to determine the Attack/Damage type if you roll a damage type that your target Resists. You are stuck with the re-roll.

These look identical to me (with focused power being obviously better), though both are a little difficult to understand in terms of wording. I think these feats could use some work, honestly.

That being said, it always sucks wihen a racial power goes fail-mode, and I do see that these feats are intended to solve that problem. 

Also, I am not sure how I feel about the "Once per day" buisness in feats.  I think for a feat, it would be better if you rolled 2d10 for Hidden Power, and chose the result you prefered. With that, you could do that whenever you used the power, I think.

Like I said, maybe some linguistics changes throughout to make it more professional sounding. But otherwise, good work!
Because Stun Spore isn't on Bulbasaur's move list. Sleep Powder is. ^_~

Oops.

...Did anyone else just imagine an Elemental God Eevee?

...I did.  The idea both intrigues and terrifies me. o.o;;

I think that would be perfect PokéGeeky Goodness ;)

And those monster stats are rather cool as well. 
Eevee the Seven Stones, a greater primordial... I love it! xD
Sign In to post comments