New (very old!) spaceship model... that looks like Old Republic.

Over thirty years ago, AMT created the "Leif Ericson" starship model, then later (still in the 70s) re-released it as the "UFO Mystery Ship." I had one when I was a kid. The original Leif Ericson is worth many hundreds. The ship was designed by Matt Jeffries, who did the original series USS Enterprise.
Now, AMT has just re-released the kit after many decades. It's VERY simple, no plethora of scribed panel lines and whatnot, but it does have opening bay doors and a lil' scout ship. I ordered it, of course.
THENNNN... I got to thinking. Originally I was going to use aztek decals to spiff it up. But then, I realized that properly painted it is SO Old Republic. Engine shrouds, bridge, nosecone & fins in red... some good aftermarket decals... perhaps even the addition of some 1/700 guns from my warships parts box.
Can't wait to get it in the mail!!!

61f3082f56603b1313ed5342a4ee3bee.jpg?v=28000

fde8c304d83bf91277f9d2aa6174751c.jpg?v=105000

b2b0ac17b4d5da610e405f4d84606f79.jpg?v=105000

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt." Scale video that I made with darthvaughn: " SW Minis Scale video Starship Modeler website. Jeff Russel's incredible STARSHIP DIMENSIONS website, with our favourite vehicles, vessels & critters from multiple sources, shown to scale. SQUADRON MODEL's Sci-Fi model kits section. How to make a model conversion to an Old Republic frigate.
IIRC, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle used one of those old Leif models as a guide when they designed the cruiser MacArthur for "The Mote in God's Eye."
So I have also read, yes.
"It is better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt." Scale video that I made with darthvaughn: " SW Minis Scale video Starship Modeler website. Jeff Russel's incredible STARSHIP DIMENSIONS website, with our favourite vehicles, vessels & critters from multiple sources, shown to scale. SQUADRON MODEL's Sci-Fi model kits section. How to make a model conversion to an Old Republic frigate.
can we get SAGA Stats for this?

Not until I decide exactly what I'm going to do with it!

I'm thinking "frigate," though.

Given that it has hanger space for what is likely a colossal sized transport (although it could just be a gargantuan bomber sized ship) making it frigate sized seem like it would be most appropriate.

It is certainly a nice looking ship.

I can't wait to see the stats for this ship so I can use it on my PbP game.....

Good Luck with the design of the crunchy bits.
There are actually a number of references for this thing (in its original, non-SW format). I guess it's a popular vessel! Cafepress even has a POSTER of it.
The kit is supposed to be 1/500, and the ship length appr. 167 m with a span of 90 m. Five decks, 87 crew. So I've accumulated line drawings & stats; waiting still for the model. I may also be forced to invest in the aftermarket resin engines for it, we'll see. I'll have to see what Titaniums, Micro Machines and/or SSB vessels will work next to it.
That's MY kind of "crunchy bits!" Once I kinda get done I may solicit help on the rules aspect.
The ship looks nice.
Got it today, but after work so it was kinda late to start mucking with it. Though a simple '60s kit, I was quite pleased! First, they included the parts from the original (and costly) Leif Ericson that were omitted from the later UFO Mystery Ship release. Second, there's a huge decal sheet allowing multiple options (sadly, few of which are useful for what I want to do). A number of the decals, however, detail the interior of the otherwise blank shuttlebay. Finally, most of the parts I want to paint "Republic Red" are separate, so masking will be minimal. But FIRST, I gotta find the damned 1/700 warships parts box!!
A photo of the parts & decals laid out on my couch is below:

090f12276eb704d911624a4a48239032.jpg?v=240000
As models go that one looks like it should be a breeze to put together.
Yes, it's simple.
Unless you PLAY with it!! Mwaah-ha-ha. And I think I'm kinda going to do a rolling narration of this project 'cos it might be interesting.
I found an offering on eBay of sci-fi turrets. They are sweet - would cost me some 15 bucks, but I thought, that may be just what I need. Then, I found my parts box.
I'm getting very excited!! Found three double turrets (Russian, probably) that are fairly low so they don't look obviously like they were stuck on from some destroyer kit, and they also have an interesting curvy shape to them; in fact, nicely in line with the flavor of the model. Then, I wanted two point-defense turrets but was vexed in finding what I really liked; Vulcan Phalanxes woulda worked, but they just weren't It. Then I found two fitments that I think are actually small radars, but when flipped onto their dishes (as "bases"), they were perfect!! Then I promptly lost one on the rug. Much searching later and I finally found it. Whew!!
Assembled a missile turret. Wasn't sure it was gonna make it to the final cut, though, without looking "tacked on;" but it turns out there was a terrific spot.
Assembled a small, slightly exotic-looking radar with a nice base. It'll be one of the last pieces to go on.
And, very cool, I used two covers to quadruple Russian antishipping missile racks. I had envisioned the Leif Ericson as an Old Republic exploration ship rather than a pure warship, due to the large hangar bay & scoutship; so, the missile fitments instead became probe bay ports.
I have attached all these parts except the radar, and they're unobtrusive & fun. It has:

Three dual turbolasers - two on the dorsal shoulders and one ventral tail.
Two point-defence lasers, mounted dorsally aft with good fire arcs.
One missile turret, ventral chin.
Two quadruple probe bays, mounted ventrally.
One sensor array, dorsal tail.

What I have NOT yet found is a turret for the scoutship. I want one like the Y-Wing, but haven't found one small enough yet. There's a "possible," but it will take some tweaking.

a4ad389ed59ce0e80b50ee93b6dcc8f7.jpg?v=240000
Nice.  Keep us updated. 
Happy New Year!
Time is scarce, so progress slow.
I cut apart all the parts and did some subassemblies, including the scout craft (for which I still haven't ID'd a turret). I realized the enclosed engine parts are only partial, and woefully inadequate, so decided to spring ten bucks for the resin aftermarket parts from Federation Models (and of course, to make the order worthwhile, also added a pair of tiny 1/350 shuttlepods for my huge NX-01 Enterprise, a fun 1/72d workbee, a good-sized Bajoran assault vessel and a Romulan scout of unknown scale). So anyway, though I can do some pre-painting once the temperature in my garage is no longer friggin' five degrees, completion will have to wait until my resin drives arrive.

8d06f78527f551d64cf6f300f69ad2f0.jpg?v=68760

Man, I love this new photo function!!
This is a fun thread. Looking forward to seeing how things progress! Smile

72ccb3a99f297b7624ecac31e26f7921.png?v=33480
Star Wars: Tapestry
 - a play-by-post campaign for everyone... good OR evil!

The project is still ongoing and I have done work, but have both been busy with Life and, frankly, annoyed with the Boards traffic. But that's another subject.
There's folks interested in this, and that's cool. SO:

Modelling is all about subassemblies.
 I did find a perfect set of chin guns for the scoutship; again, it's actually a 1/700 electronics fitment turned on it's edge. The two projections are the light laser cannons. Also, the wings were one piece and so the holes for the upper stabilizers actually went all the way through, requiring filling with epoxy & smoothing. Painting is Light Aircraft Grey, and will not have red.
The bridge superstructure had a lil' round section on the rear side which was possibly supposed to be a hatch or something; but it begged to be the base for a small communications transmitter. The radome is final white, but I intend to actually paint the winglets to match the Light Gull Grey hull.
The upper hull will need to have three of the red-painted areas masked off, and will then be sprayed in grey. The LOWER hull, I thought I had finished! Three coats of paint, and then I realized I hadn't done anything with those damned slots that likely held switches for the Leif Ericson's original (35-year-old) lighting set. SOOO, I taped over the large transverse slot and filled it with epoxy, and when it was dry added a 1/48 aircraft module over the square hole. Looks good.
Added a small three-tube "heat sink port" to the aft bulkhead for some detail.

So that's where it stands. Masking the upper hull, decaling the hangar bay interior (not shown) and finishing the bridge & scout are probably next. Some parts:

34bf346b58bd1194ccc9dbb548047bdf.jpg?v=240000

Next update:
Here we have some near-finished pieces. Gone is the masking, and the comms array is in place. Decaled the hangar bay and bay doors. Painted the barrels to the laser cannon turrets.
I thought I'd try photographing them against the rug, rather than the black couch, in the hopes the photos wouldn't be so washed-out; seems to have worked.

ba974471078063316f0f271c56fcc10f.jpg?v=240000
One of my friends had that kit, must have been 35 years ago.  It really did glow in the dark.  Are you going to paint it completely, or leave a little plastic exposed for a glow?

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this...
The re-release still does indeed glow in the dark!
But yeah, it's being totally covered.
I actually HAVE been working on this project; I've just been busy at work, slaughtering enemies in Age of Empires III as relief after work, and with side projects like the V-19 Torrent (another thread).
But here the Leif Ericson is starting to come together; the hull is assembled, the aft bulkhead added, and the forward section also assembled (save the nosecone, which I want to keep out of the way until I do the windows). I bored out the flash crud in the resin engines and then washed them in Comet, and assembling them to the ship pretty much needs to be the next move. It could be a bit fidgety; you never know.

I was briefly stymied by brush-paint to match the overall spray; the ship was done in Light Aircraft Gray and I wanted to do the bridge winglets in that color as well as some details on the aft bulhead, but not only did I not have such a gray but I couldn't even find one on eBay or my modeller's sites! Tonight I winged it by mixing Camouflage Gray with a touch of Neutral Gray, and it seems to have worked. Close enough for rock 'n' roll. So here's a pic of the current state:

e1c54639c982a88e359fa4b9c05a0cd4.jpg?v=240000

Looks like it's coming together nicely.

Do those aftermarket engines go inside the shrouds?

Looks like it's coming together nicely.

Do those aftermarket engines go inside the shrouds?

Yep, they'll get tacked right on the joint between the hull halves, about in line with the hangar bay. Like I said, it COULD be fidgety and so I'm hemming and hawing a bit - but I have the weekend off, and my wife works, so no excuses I guess! LOL.
So here's a pic of where the engines will go.
"Will" is the operative word, because before I started painting the engine & engine mounts and got all excited, I prudently test-fitted the shrouds.
NO-GO. November Golf. The engine stuck out too far. SO I had to snap it back off and will have to plane down the mounts with a file until the shroud halves will join up. And that WILL be a weekend project.
I'm not sure yet whether I want to paint the engines Gunmetal and drybrush them in Steel, or paint them Steel and wash them in Black.

8be329cc499fdc04691d6589e519ead2.jpg?v=240000

As a side note: Though the ship is called the "Leif Ericson," in fact the kit's decals provide the name "SSC Yuri Gagarin!" That would be awesome for a Traveller version of this ship (which I'm pondering; I did indeed buy those resin guns), but I'll have to dig a bit deeper into my decal box for an appropriate name for this gal.
And do you know there are NO @&$#!! aftermarket Republic decals out there??!
Whoo doggies! The engines are indeed a pain to get on, very trial & error; *CutCutShaveShave* okay let's see how that is; GLUE, fit shrouds, Hmm, aft end okay, foreward needs more work. SNAP, CutCutShave Shave. Busted the impeller off one of the engines, glued back on. Port engine is in place and ready for painting!!!!
LOL, I know how that goes.  Brings back memories of my kitbashed Z-95.
Starship Modeller Resource is discontinuing a delightfully large 1/48th (bigger than SWM) Dagger fighter. OMG I'd love to have that!!! But I just cannot sink seventy dollars into the damned thing.

9057bbed14dcb433f84670ac774a129d.jpg?v=22680

ANYway, back to the task at hand.
Okay! Hopefully here you'll start to see the final shape start to take place.
Last night, much trauma trying to trim and attach the resin engines. Granted, I'd had a couple drinks, but that still doesn't explain the HULL RUPTURE which required I further separate the hull, slob some glue inside and bind it up with rubber bands. Again. Then, all of the hull & engine process snapped off the missile turret (which happily had a large glue-point for reattachment). I SURE hope the Superglue gel used on the drives holds!! Reattaching one once the shrouds are in place would be... difficult.
But here's a couple pix. The port engine is finished - I opted for Steel with a Black wash. The starboard engine is just resin color, and I did it this way on purpose for comparison. Get a good look! Last time you'll see 'em because (God willing) next time they'll be successfully covered with red shrouds.

fc93f45c71edb88a69152a529dc7821b.jpg?v=240000

288d4a6c39cbb5dbbf0c8e6c0beb6033.jpg?v=240000
Those hangar doors look completely smooth.  Have you thought about adding some details to them just so you'll have something to grab and pull them open?
They ARE completely smooth. Hmmm... adding greeblies is an idea (though too late right now), but in this case smooth is good. There are red stripe decals that run along the lips of the doors and will look great with the Old Republic theme. Anyway, the doors are loose and if you flip the model over they drop open.
As a side note: much ado have I made with construction trauma, but it's at the point where I'm starting to select and cut apart decals, and I have to say I underestimated the huge decal sheet; there's some awesome stuff here! They should really flesh out exterior detail. NOW, we'll see what quality they are, and if they actually stick. some decals these days just drop right off after drying, or disintegrate when you try to put them on (Alliance Models NX-01 shuttlepod, I'm looking at YOU! Yell).
I painted the starboard engine (noticing it was slightly out of alignment; hope the shroud fits) and decided to go ahead and add the nosecone. Thought I'd try some out-of-the-way decals, selecting 4x "02" for the tailfins and, if that worked, some stern detail and a couple blast points (included!) to cover a couple painting errors.
Found the decals to be very thin, as are many these days, and almost immediately ready after dunking them in warm water. Don't drop in a half dozen at a time with these babies! They'll be ruined. Two at a time, no more. And be quick applying them. But, though very delicate they did not disintegrate into powder and so far seem to be adhering well.

Do you lose gloss or dull clear coat over decals?  I've had good results with both, I just have to decide which would look better on each model.

I don't use either, typically, though I probably should. Decals adhere best to gloss or metallic finishes (though this did not help with the aforementioned NX-01 shuttlepod!!) because they're smooth; but once they're dry you can Dullcote the whole thing if you prefer. This becomes a problem, however, with kits that have a bunch of windows! Those you pretty much have to make everything as subassemblies painted the way you want, tack in the windows and then assemble the components.
Now, I can make a kit. I'm decent. But still after all these years I'm still no Master Modeller. My project here won't look like the pix in post #1. And I'm sure a master can find his way around subassemblies & windows and make the whole thing seamlessly smooth; I can't. But hey! It's a lot of fun.
Speakin' o' which, here's the Old Republic explorer fully assembled. The starboard shells just barely made it, hence the tape & rubber bands. The kit is a bit fragile, especially for an old '60s kit which should be like a rock!  And the kit's yet far from done. I busted off the God-accursed missile turret again and this time couldn't find it; so I need to dig out a replacement. No biggie there, though. Plus, now comes the detail painting and the decals, which make the kit. You may notice some drybrushing I did behind the engine shrouds. You may also notice a blast point I did on that mucked-up red/gray spot on the aft superstructure.

750cdf89567e10b9debf6072c5738fd5.jpg?v=240000

EDIT: If I could find a "satin" or semigloss spray, I'd like to do it in that. I don't want it gloss - but straight flat isn't my ideal endstate, either.
EDIT 2: I elected to mount the Scoutship, which I current visualize as a bit larger than a Y-Wing but smaller than the Falcon, on a flight base. I absolutely despise Warhammer... but I love their elegant flight bases!
I've gotten satin finishes a couple of times by using a heavy layer of dullcoat and then a light layer of glosscoat on top of that.  That doesn't work on every surface though, so if you try it, experiment on some scraps first.

Installing windows and canopies after clear coating is usually the best way to do it, but sometimes I'll install them earlier and mask them until the clear coating is done.  That's not much fun if there are lots of tiny windows.

It's looking good, Imperator, so turn off the computer and get back to work!
Nice work!

Has anyone else thought that the main body looks suspiciously like a shampoo bottle? Nothing wrong with shampoo bottles by the way, they are great for making models out of...

20801.jpg

Indeed, who knows if the original model wasn't built around a shampoo bottle? Lots of Star Trek props were things like salt shakers, etc.
Is it done yet?  Huh?  Huh?  Is it done yet?
No, it honestly isn't. I had a busy couple weeks, and then there was "The Announcement" and all. It's still front-and-center on my desk, and I DID do some seam trimming on the shrouds, then carefully masked & resprayed over it. Basically needs decals, and some weathering. I'll try to work on it some today.
Good to know you're still on the job.  I'm not trying to pressure you to finish, just making sure you hadn't forgotten to post pics when it's done.
I'm sitting here looking at my starship.
I did some good detail painting and a number of decals - including the scout ship, which may be done - but I am dissatisfied.
Building & decaling it, I feel the guns are too small. So, I made the decision to perform surgery.
I RIPPED the three "turbolasers" and two point-defense guns from the vessel. The old turbolasers all survived intact and two will become the new point-defense guns. My spiffy new resin turrets will be painted & added as the turbolasers. Additionally, the missile turret had busted off; I was going to replace it, but decided to instead utilize a different resin turret as twin ion cannon.
The old point-defense guns didn't survive surgery and are forfeit. Too bad - they mighta worked on another kit. The "new" point-defense I relocated while writing this post; they look better there!
So now I gotta wash the resin parts and do a spray or two. I have them all cut out & trimmed, so they're ready to go.
Yeah, sometimes the reality doesn't match the coolness in our heads and we just have to start over.  Been there.  Did you take any pics before the amputations began?
Post #32 was the last photo, and close to what it looked like. A bit more painting & detail but the pieces were all in place.