Non-Over used Drow Background?

33 posts / 0 new
Last post
Kalik Kaliso Story Background

.:Credits:.

DocterBadWolf: Keeping this Idea up and supporting it
Saring: Giving some good advice on the story and supplying most of it.
Mistwolf: Helping it with a good, and flaverfull opening

Backgrounds Used: [Luskan Benifit only]
Rased by another Race: Eladrin
Luskan: Bounty Hunter

.:Story:.

I am Kalik Kaliso, brother to Kin Kaliso. I was raised by an Eldarin named Kelista. However, before you could understand my story. Long ago, during the age of Drow chaos, then Lolth seemed to abandon the Drows, one of my ancestors, a young leader named Korous, decided to gather a group of Drow convinces some of the Drow families to leave the under dark, to try and find a better life. They secretly met to plan there exodus, but one of the Drow in their group, was found and tempted with treasure and an extremely high ranking in Drow society. Sadly, he excepted, but most of us were able to leave the Underdark before they came to destroy us before we left. However, some of the Drow who had also planned to leave, had been trapped in there, including Kourous, and who's fates still remain a mystery to us.

However, many years have passed. The Drow who were able to leave the under dark formed a small village, growing it with from the ground with there own hands. They happily lived there, not needing to scrounge around like the did in the under dark, feeling free for the first time in ages. We selected a group of seven Drow to Govern the small settlement, and uphold the order of things, and the even formed a small militia in case someone were to invade us our of fear, greed, or some other reason. The happily began to worship Correllon, turning there backs to Lolths teachings and treachery, I grew up with this, and took these teaching seriously, hatting Lolth for seeming to seal us up for so long, my brother taking a more pleasurable look on life, singing and dancing most of the day. However, this happiness would not last long.

Even though these new surface Drow were "free" from Lolth, the Drow from the Underdark did not like them leaving. Though we  were living near a town called Luskan, which was to far from the settlement to send out a large invasion force, so they instead the planned to execute a raid on the new Drow settlement. A small force attacked at  night, disquisition themselves as humans, and killing many members of the village, including most of the militia and some of the Council, my mother and father also victim to the seemingly reasonless massacre. The Drow's from this settlement were outraged, but could do nothing about it, and openly blamed the humans for doing this to them out of fear and anger, for no reason. Though the humans denied this clam, no human settlement would trade with them, and during the winter months of that first argument, our village was almost destroyed.

As time passed, things were not looking good for this new village, trade was bad, there were tensions between the other non Drow villages nearby, and we were helpless to do anything about it. However, one day an Eladrin named Kelista, who had been away from the land for travel and training, came back and had found out about the new "Drow Village." She had just returned to the region, to hears of the attack on the Drow city, who supposedly did not follow Lolth, but Correllon. She found two Drowish kids, me and my brother, who had been killed during these raids, and instead of seeing us as an evil, she saw us a helpless children, and decided to take sympathy on us and adopts us, as if were we her own children, taking us under our wing and raising us, though my brother did not focus on our practices and usually played while I studied.

After she heard about these "raids" on this village from humans from a nearby settlement she decided to investigate these occurrences for herself, and during her investigations, she found evidence that the attack was done by the Drow, not humans. Soon after Kelista had collected enough evidence to convinced the Drow and the Humans to believe her story, and trade soon flourished in the town again, though trust was not easily forged, and it was still very brittle. One day, when I was still in my studies, my brother had decided to travel around the town and talk to the traders that had started to come, which they usually never came here in the first place. Out of his curiosity, he had heard rumors spread of a few local criminals, which had currently had a bounty on them. Being short on money, as we were being raised by one mother, we decided to go out and try to clam their bounty to get some extra gold. After a brief scuffle, the two have managed to capture a local criminal.  When we took him to the town, their skin intimidates the entire human village, especially since we had a bound man in town.  When the village discovers that we had not come to attack them, but had actually brought in the wanted criminal, the town pays us generously, giving us the full bounty on the mans head.

Soon after the first bounty, I and my brother had decided to become bounty hunters and take advantage of this. On breaks from my studies, we would go out and find some small fry criminals with bounties on there heads to gain a few extra coin between days. Not only was it a great life style, giving use some coin, and making use less feared by the population of the other towns, but it gave us something to do, and quite frankly, we found it fun. After my studies with our mother was complete, I was to set out to train on my own, and my brother had joined me, seeing as we were a team and we were both bounty hunters. We set of to Luskan to become become better bounty hunters, so we may get better coin out of it. We also left to find the Drow who had originally sent a raid out on our village, and clam justice on them for taking our blood mother and father from us.
hmm, maybe the settlement was starting to encroach on a mining operation for something similar, and either the old stereotype, or some greedy leader in the operation, resulted in the adventurers being hired to clean out the 'dangerous' threat.
Another idea is that the drow were worshiping a new god, or maybe even a demon lord. The traditional Underdark drow and driders attacked, and that's what wiped out the settlement. This could also give your drow further motivation to be ashamed of his heritage. He might want revenge, or maybe he just wants to forget about the whole mess and try to move on.

The original core books said that this was our game too. It doesn't feel like that anymore.

If you want to establish a generally well understood and stereotyped race, then the key isn't to deviate from that course radically, but to flesh out a element of that personality and create something new from it.

The Drow, in 4e, are a Evil Race, worshiping a Chaotic Evil deity.  The priestesses of Lolth bring chaos into a otherwise stable society of backstabbing and alliances.  That reminds me of 15th century renaissance Italy, Florence to be specific.  Now think about the drow in terms of Machiavellian politics, and then add in a touch of utter chaos and madness with the Priestesses. 

So having now imagined this, think about what would it take for a family, or clan, or a group of disparate Drow even, to rally together and form a new society?  What would make them abandon the backstabbing ways of their race's culture?  Lolth demands treachery, and devious behavior, and she encourages conspiracy and betrayal in her followers.  Given that these are evil things, how can a stable "non-evil" society keep her as a figure of worship?  Would they abandon her as a patron?  Would they worship a new god, or perhaps refuse to worship any god at all?

Do all the Drow there hold these beliefs?  What made them change?  Do some secretly hold on to some of the old ways?  Are their politics and system of government different now that they're not part of a society focused on backstabbing and survival of the fittest?

Finally, how would/ has surface life altered these new Drow?  How has their culture changed?  Have they physically changed in any way?  Are these changes natural, or the result of magic?  Perhaps the interference of a God?  
How about making them a scientific group, maybe they are more interested not in hunting and killing other species but rather in finding out what caused their downfall as a race to the depths of the underdark. Whether their ulterior motive is to use what they find against others or not will be up to question. What you get is an ambiguous  group that will throw off balance most people. You can also introduce some facts of ancient history through this.

It is with great reluctance that I have agreed to this calling. I love democracy. I love the Republic. Once this crisis has abated, I will lay down the powers you have given me! (Senator Palpatine, soon to be Emperor)

What Monster Am I?

Lich (Acererak, the Demi-Lich)
Lich (Acererak, the Demi-Lich)
Many creatures hope to escape death. When such creatures are powerful and corrupt—such as yourself—they sometimes turn to rituals that can transform them into liches. However, immortality comes with a price, and you have since lost the remaining shreds of your humanity in the process. Oops.

12.jpg
D&D Home Page - What Monster Are You? - D&D Compendium

If you want to establish a generally well understood and stereotyped race, then the key isn't to deviate from that course radically, but to flesh out a element of that personality and create something new from it.

The Drow, in 4e, are a Evil Race, worshiping a Chaotic Evil deity.  The priestesses of Lolth bring chaos into a otherwise stable society of backstabbing and alliances.  That reminds me of 15th century renaissance Italy, Florence to be specific.  Now think about the drow in terms of Machiavellian politics, and then add in a touch of utter chaos and madness with the Priestesses. 

So having now imagined this, think about what would it take for a family, or clan, or a group of disparate Drow even, to rally together and form a new society?  What would make them abandon the backstabbing ways of their race's culture?  Lolth demands treachery, and devious behavior, and she encourages conspiracy and betrayal in her followers.  Given that these are evil things, how can a stable "non-evil" society keep her as a figure of worship?  Would they abandon her as a patron?  Would they worship a new god, or perhaps refuse to worship any god at all?

Do all the Drow there hold these beliefs?  What made them change?  Do some secretly hold on to some of the old ways?  Are their politics and system of government different now that they're not part of a society focused on backstabbing and survival of the fittest?

Finally, how would/ has surface life altered these new Drow?  How has their culture changed?  Have they physically changed in any way?  Are these changes natural, or the result of magic?  Perhaps the interference of a God?  

... Good point xD
Well anyway, I decided against this build because of a few facts... ^^;;
- No longer aloud to play Rogue [DM says I should do something different and he is the only DM withing a reasonable driving distence that meets regularly.]
- Friend isn't going to play his Drow Bard, he made him a Half Elf instead

Thats is really xD

but in that stuff, couldn't really think of anything for reason "why" they do anything. Sorry to have bothered you about a worthess idea that didn't have a hope and now I cant even use xD

I am going to start a new thread for my Swordmage build to see if someone could help with that one.
Why not keep going with this idea, using the new class? Eladrin in FR have a very old, strong tradition of swordmages, so being taken in by an Eladrin will certainly explain the class choice, and you'll have part of your mechanics tied to that part of your backstory. The idea of the Eladrin training you as a swordmage would surely disgust, even infuriate, other Eladrin, which could lead to even more background goodness.

As for the drow community, let's keep this going, if nothing else because I rather like it, and may use it when I DM.

Because of the nature of the drow, and a situation like this, the new community should have some kind of central figure that gathered the like-minded drow for the purpose of leaving the underdark. I would suggest that central figure, or other important people in the group, having died in the exodus, due to betrayal.
So, non-evil surface drow in 4e FR generally worship Correllon now, I believe. Your central Moses like figure could have turned to Corellon before deciding to abandon drow life. This may have occured during the chaos of that period when Llolth seemed to abondon her people and all hell broke loose.(haven't read the books, hopefully someone else can give some detail on that.) In that case, he/she may have started plans to leave way back then.
Divine intervention could have lead him to others who could help him with his plan, although it didn't save them from betrayal as they executed their exodus.

I'll put some more thought and time into this later. I've got friends over. :P
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
More sex and gender equality and racial equality shouldn't even be an argument--it should simply be an assumption for any RPG that wants to stay relevant in the 21st century.
104340961 wrote:
Pine trees didn't unanimously decide one day that leaves were gauche.
http://community.wizards.com/doctorbadwolf/blog/2012/01/10/how_we_can_help_make_dndnext_awesome
Thanks Bad xD seem like you game some good import on this xD
I dont read DnD much, so I never heard about the chaos of that period when Llolth seemed to abondon her peopl, but that would make an excellent excuse for this! [and something to rub in my "All drows are evil no matter what" DM xP]

That makes an excellent Idea in my oppinion. And no worries about the friends, I understand [its late for me, so sorry if this seems rushed.] This is a great idea though, I like the "betrayal as they executed their exodus." I could talk my friend [who has changed his mind yet again [he loves Warlocks xD almost as much as I love Rogues xP] He has become a Drow Darklock, AND, I could talk him into the pact being with either the unrightfully slain citizens, or he could be the next leader and have a "connection" with the betrayed indivigual. We are working on our background togeather, so we donno.

As for the Drow Swordmage, I donno if I wanna be a Swordmage, Scorserer, or my favorite, the Rogue xD Think Swordmage might be good... 16 STR, 16 INT, 14 DEX, 14 CHA, 10 CON, 8 WIS? [after Racial adjustment?] Donno, need some help with that later, but it seems really good xD

I can't wait for my friend and I to start our background togeather xD maybe I could ask my DM if we could make a homebrew Paragon feat that makes it so we are immuned to each others Drow Powers xP [just an Idea, I bet he would say no cause I've already placed out so many hombew stuff. xP]

Thanks for your help again, I hope this is a pleasent thing.

BTW, what do you think would be best for our background, raised among another race, or somewhere in forgotten realms?
Here's a thought on the drow village.  They might have escaped, but that doesn't mean that the rest of the drow are done with them.  Maybe they moved too far away from any entrance to the underdark for the drow to launch an outright invasion of this village, but maybe the drow planned and executed the raid on this "corrupted" village of drow.  A small force attacked at night, targetting the most powerful of the village.  They disguise themsleves as humans, trying to sow the seeds of hatred among the village.  They want it to look like locals from the region are attacking for no reason.  They can hurt the "corrupted" and at the same time, possibly convince them to return to Lloth.  Due to the attack, there is now an even larger rift between the new village and the surrounding villages, making it harder for this new group to become an accepted part of the region.  Nobody will trade with them and their first few winters almost destroyed them.

Now to your character.  A powerful Eldarin has been gone from her region for years, only to return to discover this seeming invasion of Drow.  Fearing this is a prelude to a larger invasion to come, the Eldarin begins to investigate this village using all of the powers and connections at her disposal.  After months of investigation, and despite the hatred of the drow themselves, our Eldarin mentor figure cannot find any hints that these drow are here as an invasion force.  In fact, all evidence, though she hates to admit it, points to this being an entirely new group of Drow not seen in many Eldarin generations, non-evil Drow (can't bring him/herself to call them good).

It even looks like the rest of the Drow race might have it in for them.  The Eldarin has come to believe that the recent attack on the village was not the work of angry and scared humans from a nearby settlement, but rather the work of a Drow raiding party, far from the underdark.  There is no concrete evidence of this, though and Our Eldarin hopes to find out once and for all what this settlement is really all about.  In a quest for answers and to settle the local fears, the Eldarin enters the village and confronts the remaining elders.  This is not a pleasant meeting and many racial comments are thrown back and forth, however, the drow fear this Eldarin's powers, since many of their most powerful have been killed in the attack.  After a "demonstration of Power" by the Eldarin, they are left with little choice but to aggree to her demands. 

Not much is asked of them.  The Eldarin asks for free reign in the village to conduct investigations.  Also, witnesses to the attack are a must.  Many villagers saw the attackers, but few that survived saw anything of value.  The only true witnesses with anything of importance to be learned are two young brothers that watched as the raiding party slaughtered their parents and their sisters.  (the raiding party would have targeted this family because of the high number of females not devoted to Lloth).  They seem like the perfect witnesses to interview, and there appears to be a connection with her hunch about the Drow.  The Eldarin demands time with the children to interview them and find out what they know.  With no family to stand up for them or even care for them, the village agrees. 

The Eldarin takes them away to continue her investigation, with no intention of keeping them for long, however, during the course of her interviews, she comes to know that these are nothing more than scared little children who watched their family be massacred.  Drow or not, they need proper raising, or they WILL become the monsters that everyone believes Drow to be.  After just a few days, she returns to the village, convinced more than ever that this village is what they claim to be, refugees from the underdark.  She also is positive, all the facts hint at it, but nothing proves it, that the Dorw are after them.  She agrees to spread her protection over the village and chooses to raise these two orphans as her own.

Watching the death of their parents could explain why one becomes a darklock.  And their mentor's beliefs about that night's attack could also lead them to feel shame for the drow heritage.  Finally, their desire to protect their home from future raids like the one that destroyed their family could explain why they adventure, gathering information on the attack that they know must be coming.

This is just my take on it.  a ittle long winded, I know, but...
Thanks Bad xD seem like you game some good import on this xD
I dont read DnD much, so I never heard about the chaos of that period when Llolth seemed to abondon her peopl, but that would make an excellent excuse for this! [and something to rub in my "All drows are evil no matter what" DM xP]

That makes an excellent Idea in my oppinion. And no worries about the friends, I understand [its late for me, so sorry if this seems rushed.] This is a great idea though, I like the "betrayal as they executed their exodus." I could talk my friend [who has changed his mind yet again [he loves Warlocks xD almost as much as I love Rogues xP] He has become a Drow Darklock, AND, I could talk him into the pact being with either the unrightfully slain citizens, or he could be the next leader and have a "connection" with the betrayed indivigual. We are working on our background togeather, so we donno.

As for the Drow Swordmage, I donno if I wanna be a Swordmage, Scorserer, or my favorite, the Rogue xD Think Swordmage might be good... 16 STR, 16 INT, 14 DEX, 14 CHA, 10 CON, 8 WIS? [after Racial adjustment?] Donno, need some help with that later, but it seems really good xD

I can't wait for my friend and I to start our background togeather xD maybe I could ask my DM if we could make a homebrew Paragon feat that makes it so we are immuned to each others Drow Powers xP [just an Idea, I bet he would say no cause I've already placed out so many hombew stuff. xP]

Thanks for your help again, I hope this is a pleasent thing.

BTW, what do you think would be best for our background, raised among another race, or somewhere in forgotten realms?

Glad you're excited about it, and that I could help. Saring has some good thoughts.
Backgrounds: You could go with east rift, simply because it's connected to the underdark, and gives you deep speach. high imaskar would work as well, as rerolling insight seems appropriate for your character, and again, deep speach. Then again, with the eladrin idea, you may want to pick something that is near an eladrin settlement.
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
More sex and gender equality and racial equality shouldn't even be an argument--it should simply be an assumption for any RPG that wants to stay relevant in the 21st century.
104340961 wrote:
http://community.wizards.com/doctorbadwolf/blog/2012/01/10/how_we_can_help_make_dndnext_awesome
During the Abandonment, a Moses type leader emerged (looking like Charlton Heston with ebony skin and white hair, perhaps....) and convinces some Drow families to leave the underdark, give up their violent ways and be led to the Promised Land. So they do so, and have been traveling since, keeping to themselves mostly, and living a happy gypsy life-style. Or perhaps they find an out of the way valley to establish their village.

One day they are caught in a war between Drow, Humans and Eladrin. When attacked, they knelt before their destroyers and have their heads struck from their shoulders rather than break their vow of peace.

The Eladrin, sickened by the slaughter takes in the war-orphans and raises them
An Orc walks into a bar. The Human and the Elf laugh at the hapless Orc. The dwarf walks under it scowling and doesn't laugh. He doesn't see the humor. It was all over his head
*Edit* Fixed it!

I like your idea saring, but its the humans that are supost to attack the drow without reason xD
Not the drow attacking the drow trying to frame the humans.
And the village was supost to be destroyed, not just the elders, but I think we might be able to ajust it a bit ^^

But all in all, a really good Idea o,o

And thanks again Bad for your imput ^^
Only thing, he was either not born before they moved, and I dount the would want to be anywere near the underdark. So, I donno what to choice xD
But thanks for your help everyone. ^^ I will have a fleshed out background before the end of the week with the help of my friend. Give it up for the drow brothers xP

*Edit 2*

o,o Good backstory Mistwolf! And thanks for the name of the event in question xD
Maybe we could work on ^^

Thanks everyone for all their help, the finished product should be posted on here on about friday or saterday.
again, glad to be of help.
I look forward to seeing the finished product.
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
104340961 wrote:

Perhaps the drow were taken as slaves (reversal of fortune!) by a local kingdom decades back.  Over the course of two or three (very short lived thanks to their harsh existence) generations of slaves, their culture was lost.  Their topside masters strictly punished any drow that even mentioned the name of Lolth.  Their culture began to adapt and merge itself with their master's culture, to the point where Lolth became Saint Loya, the patron of righteous thieves.  After another generation the Kingdom that enslaved them fell into ruin, and the drow escaped in a mass migration, sometimes overthrowing their masters, sometimes slipping out in secret.

Murder, dominance, and stealth were replaced as core virtues with cleanliness, loyalty, and acrobatics.  These virtues were initially meant to disguise their true virtues from their masters, but generation after generation came to learn only the false virtues and not the true.  The drow tried to return to the underdark, but were not welcomed by their relatives.  Many were punished and enslaved for espousing such radical ideals.  They fled the underdark and founded a village of their own, called Saints Home.  Another few years, some immigrant from other non-drow slaves, trade routes with sympathetic cities/merchants, and the village is known as Sainshom, Village of the Surface Drow.

However, there were remanants of the old kingdom who resented the inhabitants of Sainshom.  They believed the drow still belonged to them and were to blame for the downfall of their kingdom for, as we all know, drow are wicked evil creatures.  They rallied others to their cause and wiped out the settlement of Sainshom.  No one came to avenge them or protect them because they were, after all, just drow.

Thus, you get a non-evil, non-lolthy, still drowish settlement wiped out by humans.

Resident Shakespeare
Mine was sold to Duregar slavers who in turn sold him to the Unseen (an evil FR organization full of illusionists and shapeshifters) who implanted him with post-hypnotic control commands and trained him to be an assassin.  He escaped, and is out for revenge against the drow and duregar for selling him and the Unseen for messing with his head.
Mine was sold to Duregar slavers who in turn sold him to the Unseen (an evil FR organization full of illusionists and shapeshifters) who implanted him with post-hypnotic control commands and trained him to be an assassin.  He escaped, and is out for revenge against the drow and duregar for selling him and the Unseen for messing with his head.

LOL, let me guess, Wolverien? xD
Well, I am almost done, should have it up soon.

Kalik Kaliso Story Background

.:Credits:.

DocterBadWolf: Keeping this Idea up and supporting it
Saring: Giving some good advice on the story and supplying most of it.
Mistwolf: Helping it with a good, and flaverfull opening

Backgrounds Used: [Luskan Benifit only]
Rased by another Race: Eladren
Luskan: Bounty Hunter

.:Story:.

I am Kalik Kaliso, brother to Kin Kaliso. I was raised by an Eldarin named [name 1]. However, before you could understand my story. Long ago, during the age of Drow chaos, then Lolth seemed to abandon the Drows, one of my ancestors, a young leader named [name 2], decided to gather a group of Drow convinces some of the Drow families to leave the under dark, to try and find a better life. They secretly met to plan there exodus, but one of the Drow in their group, was found and tempted with treasure and an extremely high ranking in Drow society. Sadly, he excepted, but most of use were able to have leaved the under dark before they came to destroy us before we left. However, some of the Drow who had also planned to leave, had been trapped in there, including [name 2], and who's fates still remain a mystery to us.

However, many years have passed. The Drow who were able to leave the under dark formed a small village, growing it with from the ground with there own hands. The happily lived there, not needing to scrounge around like the did in the under dark, feeling free for the first time in ages. We selected a group of seven Drow to Govern the small settlement, and uphold the order of things, and the even formed a small militia in case someone were to invade us our of fear, greed, or some other reason. The happily began to worship Correllon, turning there backs to Lolths teachings and treachery, I grew up with this, and took these teaching seriously, hatting Lolth for seeming to seal us up for so long, my brother taking a more pleasurable look on life, singing and dancing most of the day. However, this happiness would not last long.

Even though these new surface Drow were "free" from Lolth, the Drow from the Underdark did not like them leaving. Though we  were living near a town called Luskan, which was to far from the settlement to send out a large invasion force, so they instead the planned to execute a raid on the new Drow settlement. A small force attacked at  night, disquisition themselves as humans, and killing many members of the village, including most of the militia and some of the Council, my mother and father also victim to the seemingly reasonless massacre. The Drow's from this settlement were outraged, but could do nothing about it, and openly blamed the humans for doing this to them out of fear and anger, for no reason. Though the humans denied this clam, no human settlement would trade with them, and during the winter months of that first argument, our village was almost destroyed.

As time passed, things were not looking good for this new village, trade was bad, there were tensions between the other non Drow villages nearby, and we were helpless to do anything about it. However, one day an Eladrin named [name1], who had been away from the land for travel and training, came back and had found out about the new "Drow Village." She had just returned to the region, to hears of the attack on the Drow city, who supposedly did not follow Lolth, but Correllon. She found two Drowish kids, me and my brother, who had been killed during these raids, and instead of seeing us as an evil, she saw us a helpless children, and decided to take sympathy on us and adopts us, as if were we her own children, taking us under our wing and raising us, though my brother did not focus on our practices and usually played while I studied.

After she heard about these "raids" on this village from humans from a nearby settlement she decided to investigate these occurrences for herself, and during her investigations, she found evidence that the attack was done by the Drow, not humans. Soon after [Name1] had collected enough evidence to convinced the Drow and the Humans to believe her story, and trade soon flourished in the town again, though trust was not easily forged, and it was still very brittle. One day, when I was still in my studies, my brother had decided to travel around the town and talk to the traders that had started to come, which they usually never came here in the first place. Out of his curiosity, he had heard rumors spread of a few local criminals, which had currently had a bounty on them. Being short on money, as we were being raised by one mother, we decided to go out and try to clam their bounty to get some extra gold. After a brief scuffle, the two have managed to capture a local criminal.  When we took him to the town, their skin intimidates the entire human village, especially since we had a bound man in town.  When the village discovers that we had not come to attack them, but had actually brought in the wanted criminal, the town pays us generously, giving us the full bounty on the mans head.

Soon after the first bounty, I and my brother had decided to become bounty hunters and take advantage of this. On breaks from my studies, we would go out and find some small fry criminals with bounties on there heads to gain a few extra coin between days. Not only was it a great life style, giving use some coin, and making use less feared by the population of the other towns, but it gave us something to do, and quite frankly, we found it fun. After my studies with our mother was complete, I was to set out to train on my own, and my brother had joined me, seeing as we were a team and we were both bounty hunters. We set of to Luskan to become become better bounty hunters, so we may get better coin out of it. We also left to find the Drow who had originally sent a raid out on our village, and clam justice on them for taking our blood mother and father from us.
Well, to put it bluntly I want a drow background that isn't compleatly overused xD

Sadistic, inhumanly evil worshipper of a derranged spider-demon-goddess?

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

I ruling Drow clan is destroyed totally.

The last survivors move to Waterdeep and take up baking.

A child of that family starts to wear spider motif clothes and gets beaten up at school creating a sad loner who grows up and starts adventuring to prove that he a daywalking Drow that was raised in a human city and calls out the names of human gods when surprised is just as much deserving of fear and respect as the Lolth worshiping Drow under the earth.

You know, a Drow posing as a Drow.

Well, I already got the background planned out, and I am hopeing either Saring ot BadWolf could post on here there oppinion. My Background is going to be Luskan (+1 Stealth/+1 Thevery and add then to class skills [Bounty Hunter]) But the main things I need are:

1) Why did he become a bounty hunter
2) How is a good way to describing this in one paragraph, how the Eldrein came in.
3) Why did Kalik leave his addoptid Eledrien mother
4) Why did he quit bounty hunting to become an adventurer?
~Edit~
5) What are thier names?! xD
I really like this man. It's 2am here, right now, so I'm not going to try to work my brain bit just yet. However, I will try to get online and offer up some more advice in the morning or afternoon. Feel free to PM me as a reminder. :D

I can also, if you like, grammar/spell check it for you.
I know, I'm weird.

but mostly, I like your general concept. Good show.
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
104340961 wrote:
I really like this man. It's 2am here, right now, so I'm not going to try to work my brain bit just yet. However, I will try to get online and offer up some more advice in the morning or afternoon. Feel free to PM me as a reminder. :D

I can also, if you like, grammar/spell check it for you.
I know, I'm weird.

but mostly, I like your general concept. Good show.

Thanks man xD
Underlind is Okay, in fact, feel free too, I dont have any programms that have spellcheck or grammer check in them, so I would love it if you could help with that part of it xD

and I am still haveing a slight braindead moment, I donno why I cant think of anything. But thanks for your help.
I like it so far.  sounds good, and thanks for using so much of my stuff in it.  Wink  some thoughts on your list.

option 1
I'll start with
4.  Why does Kallik need to quit being a bountyhunter to adventure?  this would be a great tool for your DM to use to add some supplemental missions.  Party needs to level up to go to the next mod the DM has planned, throw in a bounty hunt.  Didn't they print a bounty hunting skill challenge in DDI a while ago?  this history could really help out the DM.

next
2.  My original Idea was the Eldarin protector of the region, that has just returned from adventuring and hears of the attack, so adopts the orphans.  During her investigations, she found evidence that the attack was done by the drow, not humans.  This could explain...
1.  Kallik became a bounty hunter in the hope of finding the Drow that masqueraded as humans and attacked his village.  Classic revenge theme. 
and finally,
3.  Kallik is forced to leave home to prove that his adopted mother has not gone crazy by pushing the story of a Drow raid, with no evidence to support her theory.  Kallik, of course, trusts and believes her, since she raised him.  He must prove she is correct.  This could be a running subplot throughout your campaign, possibly even setting the BBG as the Drow Matron that planned the attack years ago, hoping to gain favor with Lloth.

Option2
Alt idea for questions 1-4

2.  The eldarin is a priestess of Corellon.  She has been sent on a quest by her god to discover this village of Drow that worship him.  Her duty is to visit this village and help them to establish a new temple to further their conversion to their new deity.  She arrives in time to see the destruction remaining after the attack and chooses to adopt two orphaned children to raise in the teachings of Corellon.

1.  Kallik becomes a bountyhunter as a job.  He is looking for something interesting to use his youthful energies accomplishing.  While the humans in the area will not associate with the village, they do trade with the eldarin priestess.  Rumors spread of a few local criminals and Kallik and his brother Kin happen upon one of them one day.  After a brief scuffle, the two have managed to capture a local criminal.  When they take him in, their skin intimidates the entire human village, especially since they have a bound man in tow.  When the village discovers that, not only are these two drow not here to murder them, but they have actually brought in a wanted criminal, the town pays them generously. The humans are rewarding them and hope that the payment will keep them from coming back.  Bountyhunting pays well enough, and it seems that Kallik is good t it, so he makes it a career.

3.  The priestess has completed her calling.  The construction of the temple to Corellon is completed after many years and it is time for her to return to her post.  The city she will return to, would never accept two drow into the city, so Kallik must stay behind, possibly never seeing his adoptive mother again.

4.  If you don't want him to be a bountyhunter anymore, he could have quit after the townspeople get used seeing him with prisoners.  They are less intimidated every time and become accustomed to him.  He makes less and less every time and grows tired of the work, finally deciding that it is time to see the greater world, and possibly visit his mother.

feel free to use any and all that you want, or none at all.
Nice suggestions saring!
OP, I'll try to get to checking it for you, but I'm a bit busy today. Maybe tonight I'll get some free time.
sorry for the delay.
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
104340961 wrote:
lol, no worries xD

I think I am going to work with Ideas, the seem nice, my favorite being main topic 1+3 and Alt topic 1+2, the both seem good. I will get working on it right away, thanks for your impot again xP

But ya, I think he will be a bounty hunter and thats an excuse to be introduced to the game xP and its ganna be level 1, so I musta been going after the small fry xD

Oh, and Kin is now a Drow Bard xD [[he is thinking of a half-drow (half-elf) though xD though that would help, giving me a +2 too Con for an importent ability, so I could work with a 14, 14, 16 [16, 16, 16 after modifier.]
Okay, I finished with our story, so I just need comments and the names of the importent people xD
my group in one campaign has a surface drow patron named Reobard Benisar. Another name I like is Xael Tiuran. I like to name eladrin character with tolkien elvish names, but I can't think of any at the moment. (aside from important lotr characters)

Some random vaguely elf-y sounding names:
Auludrin/Auludrian

Audunai

Braelani

If more pop into my head, I'll throw them in for ya.

if you have trouble, the internet is full of name generators for popular fantasy races.
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
104340961 wrote:

Some random elf names:

Elsharen
Erselan
Teleren
Eneril
Celenden/Celendrien 
Saresha
Isri
Vel
Vaelarn
Terniel

Edit: Aww, I was hoping my 666th post would have been something more evil.

It's spelled Corellon Larethian, not Correlon, Correllon, Correlllon, Corellion, Correlian or any other way of getting it wrong. I'm a total grognard and I still play 4E.
Hmmm... I could imagine a network for runaways led by a well-meaning surface dweller who seeks out drow or other Under Dark creatures that are yearning to breathe free and escape an evil community and leads them covertly to the surface and lands them in a village set up as a re-training centre, to help them adapt to the cultures of the surface world and learn ethical principals.  Changing alignment is extremely difficult, I doubt most berks do it on their own very often, but with the right intervention it may possible. The village would be like a half-way house for berks addicted to evil instead of crack...
>.<
Sorry I took so long to post, we went to the game on monday and it was pretty good. We made our characters and now there is a slight problem... My DM completly railroaded the whole thing. v.v

He says our Characters HAVE to be in the army, and there are no such things as merchinaries, the army said "join, or we kill you" If that doesnt scream railroad, I donno what does >.<

Luckily, me and my merc group are races that can be older then this war and still have had our bacground like this [we just raised our ages by ten and we are still younge xP]

unforchunently, there are a few things that has happened since then. Unforchunently, our DM will not allow Hybrid classes, as it has yet to come out, and he is they type of dm that will under every cercomstance, say no to a character re build, even after books come out >.<

So, there are 4 things I have to come up with.
1: Our Dm says our characters have to have a "Hitch" like one person reads all the time, our paladin has a holy day were he gets stoned, our other Swordmage is having static jump from his being, and we have a warforged who is adicted to the static of that said swordmage.

2: I was thinking of changing to a Barbarian after seeing the 2 weap barbarian, and thinking of begging my DM to let me redo my character when ph3 comes out to help with my barbarian/ranger build [thinking bout this >.>].

3: If I DO make a barbarian, my DM says I HAVE to have a rage sorce, other wise none as why do I get angre? I said, "Well, cant barbarians just fight on emotions like berzerkers do in real life?" and he said "No, they have to be in a rage [aka angree to him] to get there powers" what should I be angry about? [I was thinking about saying having a DM who doesnt know how to DM half the time at that point.]

4: There isn't another group anywere around these parts other then this one, and this DM is starting to get anoying with his railroading, "Assassens, Poisons, and anything else I say is forbidden to use cause it is 'evil no questions asked'" and his "no changing characters no matter what" pollacy are getting annoying. I have brought it up to him several times, and he just says the same thing over and over "your just over exagurating." >.< any suggestions?
Damn. Well, my natural inclination is to argue until it's resolved, one way or another. Sometimes that leads to the resolution being not playing together anymore, so with my friends I don't allow myself to go as far as I would with acquaintances, but I'm still going to argue. This doesn't seem to be working for you, but here are some talking points.

Barbarians get their rage from the spirits of the natural world. It's not just "I'm so angry! arrrgh! thalrak smash!" It's creating a connection to the fury of the natural world, channeling it, and controlling it just enough to avoid killing your buddies or walking into a spike pit.

failing him buying that, you're royally pissed at being conscripted. At the control over the direction of your life being stripped from you for someone elses benefit. you've never been good at accepting anyone else having control over you, and if not for (some other pc) you might just go berserk and TPK your platoon in a desperate act of defiance. So basically, you in a damn near constant state of barely having your anger/outrage/rightious fury under control. when battle is joined, you let go.
this route also has the silly "hitch" built in. a few possabilities, actually. Maybe your character has to restrain himself from spitting in the face of every officer who barks an order at him. Maybe he has a habit of pushing the boundaries of the officers' authority.

Why in the world are assassins automatically evil? Hell, tell him to play assassin's creed. Or point out that in many ways a class is merely a fighting style. An assassin does not have to be a merciless contract killer. In fact, I recently was workin on an assassin who was once an arena slave, and then later worked as basically a free lance investigator/bounty hunter, and only killed his marks if there was no way around it. He contracted to commoner and noble alike, often investigating and then apprehending nobles on behalf of commoners who would otherwise have no recourse, and his ultimate goal is to create a multi-national organization that does what he's been doing, but with a much broader scope, and much greater influence. almost like the harpers, but more focused on justice and protecting the interests of those who have no representation or legal recourse for their greivances.

Other classes may work for the concept, but he's an assassin because that's how I envisioned him fighting. The mechanics of the class fit him. that and he's shadar-kai, so much of the fluff for how assassins get their power can just be a natural part of his background, rather than a concious decision.

just an example.

I don't know, man. email him some articles on the role of not railroading your players? It's a tough situation. don't suppose you live in the central valley in CA?
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
104340961 wrote:
Sadly no, I live in Tempe AZ xD though if I were up to the day long drive up there for a single game, I might join xP

But ya, thats what I tried to say, but he said no, so far the evil list [no no list] consists of
- Having an evil deity [kinda get that]
- Poisons
- Assassins
- Being Evil Alignment [get that]

few others, but they escape me at the moment >.<

But anyway, thanks for the help, love the character hitch idea of always trying to push the boundries of his athority xD

Quote froma  friend, the book addict
"Maybe he'll get his head smacked constantly.."

~Edit~
Btw, I did use assassins creed as an example, his comeback [rather weak in my oppinion] Sure he can be good, but depending on the player, he could be a cold blooded murderer. My words was "Depending on the person? That means not everyone" and he just shakes his head, which normaly means "I am DM, end of descution"
Sadly no, I live in Tempe AZ xD though if I were up to the day long drive up there for a single game, I might join xP

But ya, thats what I tried to say, but he said no, so far the evil list [no no list] consists of
- Having an evil deity [kinda get that]
- Poisons
- Assassins
- Being Evil Alignment [get that]

few others, but they escape me at the moment >.<

But anyway, thanks for the help, love the character hitch idea of always trying to push the boundries of his athority xD

Quote froma  friend, the book addict
"Maybe he'll get his head smacked constantly.."

~Edit~
Btw, I did use assassins creed as an example, his comeback [rather weak in my oppinion] Sure he can be good, but depending on the player, he could be a cold blooded murderer. My words was "Depending on the person? That means not everyone" and he just shakes his head, which normaly means "I am DM, end of descution"

christ. evil alignment is already restricted, why not just say "you can't play a cold blooded killer assassin."?

sorry, friend, but your DM is crap.
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
104340961 wrote:
Sign In to post comments