Crazy LFR stories (just for fun)

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
I thought I'd start a thread (just for fun! Smile) where people can share their crazy/amusing/awesome/interesting LFR stories.  Because obviously one of the best parts of D&D is all the great stories you can tell about it later...  Smile

What was the most unbelievable thing that happened during combat?  What was the most fun you had during an LFR game?  What was the wackiest party composition you've played with?  etc.

Lori Anderson

WotC Freelancer, LFR author

@LittleLorika

Dragon Magazine #412: Unearthed Arcana: Ships in Your Campaign

Calimshan Adventures (LFR): CALI3-3, CALI4-1, and QUES4-1

Epic Adventures (LFR): EPIC5-1 and EPIC5-3

Other LFR Adventures: NETH4-1, ADCP5-2, and MYTH6-3

I think the wackiest party composition was the paladin with four warlocks (infernal, star, dark, and fey). Some of my favorite RP moments come from an all changeling party I've been going through MINI with - like when we bluffed our way into a building pretending to be a particular cultist leader (_loved_ giving a thumbs up to the guards and saying 'Good job!' as we walked in), get into the next area and the cultist leader is there, and the typical movie scene pointing and shouts of 'Imposter!' occurs.

It was completely random, but I was far too amused when playing a module and I get turned into a purple dragon knight that module and I go 'Let us in, I am a purple dragon knight and have important news' and the NPC goes 'Really? You're a purple dragon knight?' and one of the players at the table points at my shirt where I randomly am wearing a purple shirt with a dragon on it and goes 'Yep, he's even got the shirt to prove it'.
Keith Richmond Living Forgotten Realms Epic Writing Director

I've removed some of the details to avoid spoilers, but I recently had this experience in a (very tough!) lower-level LFR combat. 

This experience taught me to never EVER give up hope in a combat.  After a miracle or two and a ton of amazing luck, we somehow went from a TPK (well, 98.99% chance of TPK) to no one actually dying at all!  We ended the combat with the entire room unconscious (all of the good guys AND all of the bad guys).  It was epic really.  There was one bad guy left and the bard was the only one still standing because he had been locked safely away in a cage for most of the combat.  He ran over to trigger the paladin's second wind in order to get her to 1 hit point since she had run out of healing surges.  The minion-paladin then ran over to the one remaining bad guy, marked, and attacked him.  The bad guy then knocked the paladin out (again), so it was all up to our brave 4-hit point bard (again).  Backed into a corner, with very little hope remaining, the bard decided his best bet was to provoke from the bad guy so he could go give a healing potion to the downed fighter (the only person in the combat with any healing surges left).  The attack hit, so the bard went down.  But the bad guy was still marked by the now-unconscious paladin, so he died too!  Surprised

The bad guys were all dead, but the entire party was lying on the ground bleeding to death...  So now what?  Someone miraculously rolled a 20 on their death saving throw and we barely managed to save everyone before they failed their last death saving throw (though it was very, VERY close for several people). 

The whole thing was pretty unbelievable (and AWESOME!  Smile).  The paladin worships Waukeen, but maybe she'll have to convert to Tymora!  Tongue out  Clearly Lady Luck was watching over us that day!

Lori Anderson

@LittleLorika

This became an infamous story at my FLGS, where we play.

So we're fighting the climactic battle of the adventure, which is a 1st-4th level one. My character, a dwarf fighter, is out in front melee'ing bad guys. The quarters are very tight, though, not giving the dragonborn sorcerer PC much room to do his thing.

Dragonborn Sorcerer's player: May I include your character in my Lightning Breath? That will also get three bad guys, include the bad guy leader.

(I thought he meant "lightning breath", as in the dragonborn's racial power. I mentally calculate that the worst he can do is crit me for around 9 damage.)

Me: Sure.

Dragonborn Sorcerer's player: *rolls dice* *Hits two normal bad guys, misses bad guy leader. Crits my PC.*

Me: Well, isn't that typical. I'll just mark off 9 hit points...

Dragonborn Sorcerer's player: Er, I meant Lighting Breath, the level 1 sorcerer daily power. The critical damage is 24 (3d8 maximized) + 4 (Cha) + 2 (magic weapon) + 2d12 (+2 vicious dagger, of course). That's... *rolls 2d12* ... 46 damage.

Me: *jaw drops*

Dragonborn Sorcerer's player: *stifling laughter* (rest of players also try, but fail)

Me: Well, [insert swear word here]. My character is down and 2 hp from negative bloodied.

The encounter then turned into a tense standoff with the bad guy leader, who was threatening to coup de grace my PC. Fortunately, the same sorcerer also had a good Diplomacy skill and was able to talk the bad guy leader into letting my PC live.

I suspect DM leniency.

Since that event, my PC twitches every time lightning damage is dealt. And he has to hide under the bed during thunderstorms, alongside his pet dogs.

Also remaining vague to avoid spoilers:

We were fighting in a floating castle, and there are a number of very large creatures attacking all of my party. We couldn't focus our fire on them easily, and though we had eliminated all but one of them, it was a nasty one.

I was playing my tactical warlord, and I had used up all of my inspiring words, my lion's roar - basically, almost all of my healing. Then I was dropped by the nasty critter and started dying. The same started happening with a couple of other characters, and I think that we were down to the rogue.

The rogue ran over to me, dodging an opportunity attack, and fed me a healing potion. I stood up and stabbed at the last target with my remaining daily - Stand the Fallen. Critical hit, and everyone was able to get back up. The rogue turned the probable TPK into a fight where we didn't lose anyone.

In the middle of a module, our party came across a random alabaster pillar that was mentioned as lying in the room after we had killed whatever bad guy was there.

My dwarf character decided that if it was loot, then he wanted to carry it out of the dungeon.  The DM was all "uh, there's no real benefit to taking the pillar".   Dwarf didn't care - treasure was treasure.  "Well, it weighs about 500 lbs."  "Hmm, I can easily drag it, and it won't even slow me down."  Anyone who doesn't want a share of the pillar, doesn't need to carry it.  Well, another dwarf in the party decided that if there was treasure to be had, he'd surely carry the back end of the pillar to get his share of it.

So we started carrying the pillar through the dungeon.  (I rumaged in my box of gaming supplies, and came across a 2-inch long cylinder of alabaster that I had made for something else, and it worked great as our pillar.  It even balanced nicely on the shoulders of our two miniatures.)

Came across a 5ft gap that needed to be crossed.  Hmm - lay the pillar across the gap, and we're good to cross.

Locked door - Bash it with the pillar.

Every situation we came across, there was some reason that the pillar was just the right tool for the job.

When we finally got to the BBEG, it was a wraith.  The other dwarf and I coordinated our readys and delays and jointly charged the wraith to face bash it with the pillar.  We didn't do any kind of significant damage, but it was great fun carrying that thing around.

Went just fine until the end of the module when the mcguffin took the pillar into another dimension... (lousy elven ghosts).
Playing SPEC 1-2 at DDXP 09 with 4 strikers, 10 rogue (me) 9 ranger (my  buddy) 8 ranger and 7 rogue (the two guys who were also leftovers) because none of the full tables of 6 would allow themselves to be split up at all.. and doing better than those tables.... that was entertaining.
Blah blah blah
In a certain 1-4 mod with a certain solo swarm in a pit, my dragonborn warlord went to great lengths to "move" one of the statues in the room (with athletics checks) to drop it on the swarm as an "area attack."

Managed a critical hit with the statue and, since the swarm was bloodied at that point, turned out to be the finishing blow.  (Stupid swarm in the pit chewing on my friend!)

Dan Anderson @EpicUthrac
Total Confusion www.totalcon.com
LFR Calimshan Writing Director
LFR Epic Writing Director

LFR Myth Drannor Writing Director

The Embarrassing Case of the Spiked Doors

After breezing through all the fights we encountered the true challenge of the mod: doors.  The corridors we were wandering through were dotted with lots of heavy spiked doors.  We were a well balanced party - at least we thought we were.  We had two defenders, but no one in the party was STR-based.  The party lost way more healing surges and hit points to those darn doors than anything else in the mod.  We probably spent more real time dealing with the doors than most of the other encounters too.  The worst part is that I'm pretty sure the doors were supposed to be a minor challenge to overcome, not a huge setback.

After taking a beating from door after door, we finally had a brilliant idea!  We were going to outsmart one of the doors!  Our Eladrin swordmage teleported to the other side so he could help push the door open while we pulled it open.  ("Ha!  Take that, Door, you foul fiend!  We've got you now!!")  After several minutes and many failed attempts (with the accompanying pain) we finally got the door open...  ...Only to realize that it was a dead end!  Doh!  If the swordmage had only thought to peek around the corner first...

And after this whole ordeal our Wizard remembered that she had Knock all along...

It was all very embarrassing...  Names have been removed to protect the honor of the participants...  Wink  I wish I could say that I was the DM at this table, but, well....  I mean, I saw this happen at the table next to ours...  Innocent

Lori Anderson

@LittleLorika

Last fight of DRAG1-2, my party was taken down by a combination of bad rolls and maybe a few bad choices on our end. My paladin ended up taken down, on the far side of the room from the exit, but bought enough time for the party to escape (running was really the best option given how beat up we were). The rest of the party makes a break for it, with the monsters following them out. On my (last? I don't recall) death save I rolled a 20, woke up, and since the monsters were following the party out of the area, I was able to spend enough healing to then break through their lines and escape as well.
Two highlights from the scepter tower (at least for the DM):

The Bard decided to use Shout of Triumph on the Vampire boss, whose blood drain recharges every time an adjacent creature becomes bloodied. The party spent the entire fight just above or below bloodied, and the Vampire went from 50 hit points to full twice. Although the party was dragging by the end, they were terrified, and cheered out loud when they finally won.

The real joy, however, was when the party discovered a relic in the tower grounds. They didn't realize they could take it with them, and so ten minutes after they made it back to town, a rival adventuring party shows up, bragging about what they had discovered. The looks on their faces were priceless.
I don't know if it  is really crazy, but I have a PC who is really squeemish about killing people. She is all about being 'responsible' with magic, and she values life very much.
In one adventure, we had a fight on a ship. One of the opponents was knocked out and fell overboard. When my PC's turn was up, she ran to the railing and jumped after him.
She spent the rest of the combat in the water, saving her enemy, while the rest of the party was mopping up the remainder of the opponents.
Luckily, it was not a particular tough fight.

Gomez
A certain early mod with several gnomes in a room. They are invisible, and the party sees the dangling rope. So, one of the defenders goes out onto the rope. The others are fighting the beasts. If I recall correctly, they used a power to fling one of the beasts out the window early on.

One of the PCs has a really high spot and as he gets into the room he spots one of the gnomes. The gnome flees. Another two PCs go out the window, climbing.

The remaining gnomes figure it is time to spring into action. One of them can slide... long story short, both that gnome and the party ends up making attempts to throw each other out the window. We had some 8-10 cases of someone flying out the window. It was hilarious.

Of course, DM error played a very funny role. For some reason I announced early on that it was a 15' drop, for 3d10 damage. Everyone nodded and I rolled this damage for the beasts the PCs flung. Then I proceeded to roll this for everyone... until the 1 HP sorcerer was about to fly out the window and someone says, "Wait, how high is that?" and we all get to say "Oh!!" at the same time.

The gnome actually got away, leading to a manhunt culminating in the gnome on a carriage, with the PCs climbing onto it, being thrown off (of course) and finally catching the gnome. It was one of the better times I've had DMing and probably some of their better times playing.

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

A certain early mod with several gnomes in a room. They are invisible, and the party sees the dangling rope. So, one of the defenders goes out onto the rope. The others are fighting the beasts. If I recall correctly, they used a power to fling one of the beasts out the window early on.

One of the PCs has a really high spot and as he gets into the room he spots one of the gnomes. The gnome flees. Another two PCs go out the window, climbing.

The remaining gnomes figure it is time to spring into action. One of them can slide... long story short, both that gnome and the party ends up making attempts to throw each other out the window. We had some 8-10 cases of someone flying out the window. It was hilarious.

Of course, DM error played a very funny role. For some reason I announced early on that it was a 15' drop, for 3d10 damage. Everyone nodded and I rolled this damage for the beasts the PCs flung. Then I proceeded to roll this for everyone... until the 1 HP sorcerer was about to fly out the window and someone says, "Wait, how high is that?" and we all get to say "Oh!!" at the same time.

The gnome actually got away, leading to a manhunt culminating in the gnome on a carriage, with the PCs climbing onto it, being thrown off (of course) and finally catching the gnome. It was one of the better times I've had DMing and probably some of their better times playing.

I went through that mod once with a party comprised mostly of warforged - none of whom had the slightest interest in bringing anyone to justice. 

It's amazing how little fight anyone puts up if you make it absolutely clear that all you want is the mcguffin, and that you are more than willing to help them pack up the rest of the booty and help them on their way.

This was actually a lot more fun than it sounds, because we ended up roleplaying the "uh, no sir, we don't want to see you get into any trouble with the law, we're just looking for X. " 

The end-of-mod questions were great fun to answer. 

Most ended up as none-of-the-above.
If I resurrect enough old threads, can I call myself a cloth-o-mancer? Smile
Since that event, my PC twitches every time lightning damage is dealt. And he has to hide under the bed during thunderstorms, alongside his pet dogs.

I know how you feel.  My Warlock4 got stuck in a mirror trap.  Breaking the mirror cost everybody involved about 45 HP.  The Drow sorceress (who came back to look for me and got trapped too) and druid (who did the breaking) went to negative HP.  I had 1 HP left and stumbled out, seeking the pacifist cleric.  Now, my character won't look at a mirror (twice).  Some day, I'm gonna be accused of bein' a vampire or sumthin'...

Best complements I have yet received:

Show

Making it up as I go along:

{BRJN} If I was writing the Tome of Lore, I would let Auppenser sleep. But I also would have him dream. In his dreaming he re-activates the innate powers of (some) mortal minds. Or his dreaming changes the nature of reality - currently very malleable thanks to Spellplague &c. Or whatever really cool flavor text and pseudo-science explanation people react positively to.

{Lord_Karsus} You know, I like that better than the explanations for the Spellplague.

Prepped ahead of time:

I started the thread "1001 Failed Interrogation Results" (which seems to have faded into that great electronic goodnight, alas)

{ADHadh} These are all good and make sense! I just can't come up with something that's not covered here and is not completely ridiculous.

My 4e characters:

Show

Active:

LFR Half-elf StarLock8 Gondolin Nightstar

AoA Dwarf Guardian Druid8 Narvik from House Wavir

Character Ready-to-go:

Neverwinter Dwarven Invoker / Heir of Delzoun, worships Silvanus (!) "Truenamer" - speaks Words of Creation

Concepts I'm kicking around:

"Buggy" Wizard - insect flavor on everything.  His DMPC version is going to become a Lamia.  Becauae lichdom is so cliche.

Halfling Tempest Fighter - just because nobody else is doing it

Shifter Beast-o-phile Druid - for Nentir Vale campaign

Early in my paladin, Serendipity's, career, she and a group of adventurers were climbing a mountain with several obstacles in our way. One was sneaking past a sleeping giant. She failed, and lost a healing surge in the ensuing drubbing she took.

Shortly after this, we arrived at locked gate. Now, Serendipity isn't all that strong, no one in the party had a way to pick the lock, so the rest of the party started going to work on it. They figured they would eventually be able to smash the door in somehow.

Serendipity took a different approach. She backtracked to the giant, who was somewhat annoyed that there was all this banging and crashing noise going on. Using her masterful diplomacy, she politely (and telepathically to avoid any language issues) asked the giant's help in crushing down the door, so he might be able to get back to his beauty sleep more quickly.
In a certain 1-4 mod with a certain solo swarm...

If this is the module I think it is, I played it while 4e was still new to most people.  For us, the swarm teleported away from our melee artist and into a space behind my character and right next to the pit.  One of my goals for the session was to try out as many different pages of the PH as I could think of.  I wasn't up to go next but I asked, "Can I bull rush a swarm?"  While frantic rules-checking went on, the wizard (whose turn WAS up next) figured out what I was about to do and beat me to it ... in a very Wizardly way, I suppose.  He set off a Thunderwave that hit both me and the swarm.  We both went over the edge.

The DM was nice to us - he ruled that I did another 1d10 to the swarm when I landed on top of it.  But I took the falling damage too.  (Ouch.)  On the bright side, it killed the swarm !

Best complements I have yet received:

Show

Making it up as I go along:

{BRJN} If I was writing the Tome of Lore, I would let Auppenser sleep. But I also would have him dream. In his dreaming he re-activates the innate powers of (some) mortal minds. Or his dreaming changes the nature of reality - currently very malleable thanks to Spellplague &c. Or whatever really cool flavor text and pseudo-science explanation people react positively to.

{Lord_Karsus} You know, I like that better than the explanations for the Spellplague.

Prepped ahead of time:

I started the thread "1001 Failed Interrogation Results" (which seems to have faded into that great electronic goodnight, alas)

{ADHadh} These are all good and make sense! I just can't come up with something that's not covered here and is not completely ridiculous.

My 4e characters:

Show

Active:

LFR Half-elf StarLock8 Gondolin Nightstar

AoA Dwarf Guardian Druid8 Narvik from House Wavir

Character Ready-to-go:

Neverwinter Dwarven Invoker / Heir of Delzoun, worships Silvanus (!) "Truenamer" - speaks Words of Creation

Concepts I'm kicking around:

"Buggy" Wizard - insect flavor on everything.  His DMPC version is going to become a Lamia.  Becauae lichdom is so cliche.

Halfling Tempest Fighter - just because nobody else is doing it

Shifter Beast-o-phile Druid - for Nentir Vale campaign

In a certain 1-4 mod with a certain solo swarm...

If this is the module I think it is...

I suspect this encounter is both the source of 50% of player's best and worst stories.

For my funny bits, though, i'll go with Icy Queens' Crossing - having a gnome illusionist slide down the ice ramp on the back of my goliath barbarian, belly-wompying style.  totally worth being prone at the end.

but then, there's this conversation from IMPI1-3 (plot spoilers):

Show
garrick: so let me get this straight: we're going to kill one of ourselves, and then travel into a pocket dimension full of souls, and fight a demon who's been killing people non-stop for thousands of years?

caldwell: We should probably take a short rest first.
Previous mod, my character had found +3 Hydra armor and my old armor was +2 Summoned Armor. So I say to the DM:
"I doubt it will ever be relevant, but just in case, I've got +2 Summoned Armor in another dimension."

DM nods, keeping a straight face.

The mod involved losing all your weapons, armor, and magic items. So by the time the 1st combat started, I was unexpectedly in +2 Scale Armor... 
I was running MINI 1-1 for some friends of mine, and they became very obsessed over why there was a pillar of fire in the middle of Tarmalune.  Once they accepted that it was part of the city, they started coming up with various civic works projects involving the raging flame including, but not limited to:
  • Hot water heater for the entire city

• Trash incinerator

• A form of capital punishment

• BBQ stand for all the tourists who came to look at the pillar of flame

I had to give them a little push to get back on task several times when they wanted to go suggest these ideas to the city council.
I heard that they are making a new video game, where you control the Netherese flying citadel of Sakkors, raining death on your helpless enemies below. Working title: Mythal Command.