Advice?

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Alright, so I just started recently (in Conflux) and now all the upcoming tourneys are pretty much extended for a little while, so I am not too familiar with Extended. From what I've heard then the decks are combo or Zoo with a light smattering of AIR...truth?

and what would everyone suggest to go in for on an extended decks (pretty much anything that doesn't use Baneslayer
AIR is probably the best place to start. it has really good matchups against most of the combo decks in the format, is really easy to play, and apart from Chrome Mox and Chalice it isnt very expensive to put together. if your looking for a more skill-intensive deck, any of the non-cascade combo decks would be good. if your willing to shell out some cash, Gifts/Thopter is probably the best deck in the format.
Here is where I really noob it up and ask the lazy question...where is the best place to find decklists to get ideas and skeletons from?

I like the Thopter combo...what other combo (besides Hexmage+Depths) is out there that I could look into?
Here is where I really noob it up and ask the lazy question...where is the best place to find decklists to get ideas and skeletons from?

I like the Thopter combo...what other combo (besides Hexmage+Depths) is out there that I could look into?

deckcheck.net is great.

As for other combo decks, you can try Dredge or Hypergenesis or even Ad Nauseam-Angel's Grace Storm (you'd have to come up with a decklist by yourself for this one; it doesn't have any tournament placings AFAIK). 

deckcheck.net is great.

As for other combo decks, you can try Dredge or Hypergenesis or even Ad Nauseam-Angel's Grace Storm (you'd have to come up with a decklist by yourself for this one; it doesn't have any tournament placings AFAIK). 

Coming up with a list wouldn't be hard though.  It's just your basic storm skeleton.

deckcheck.net is great.

Coming up with a list wouldn't be hard though.  It's just your basic storm skeleton.

Sure, but he's new to Extended, so it'd be easier for him if he had a list to work off of.

deckcheck.net is great.

Sure, but he's new to Extended, so it'd be easier for him if he had a list to work off of.

Ok, well start with this as a skeleton:
4 x grace
4 x nauseam
4 x lotus bloom
4 x manamorphose
4 x seething song
4 x rite of flame
some chrome moxes, some grapeshots, some disruption in counters or thoughtseize.

I have yet to see someone play Chronozoa Combo.  Maybe not highly competitive, but it can get there with the right support.

With counter/tutor/draw support, you can easily protect Leech Bonder + Chronozoa + Utopia Vow/Paradise Mantle.

Basic List:
4x Mantle
4x Utopia Vow
4x Leech Bonder
4x Chronozoa
4x Remand
4x Negate
4x Gifts Ungiven (unfortunately)
4x Cryptic Command

Throw in some counters and card draw, and you are good to go.

Throw in some counters

Real men hold shift. If everyone has their fingers in the pie, then someone is eating fingers.

AIR is probably the best place to start. it has really good matchups against most of the combo decks in the format, is really easy to play, and apart from Chrome Mox and Chalice it isnt very expensive to put together. if your looking for a more skill-intensive deck, any of the non-cascade combo decks would be good. if your willing to shell out some cash, Gifts/Thopter is probably the best deck in the format.

I am also new (as of M10 in fact) and looking to try out this Extended season.  I like the look of the Scapeshift deck but I don't really know.  I like controllish decks but I also have a fondness for the burn.  I like that AIR is easy to run but is Thopter really far and away the best deck?  Cause if so I'll just have to buy it and run it. 

Thanks for thoughts

I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both selfish and chaotic. I value self-gratification and control; I want to have things my way, preferably now. At best, I'm entertaining and surprising; at worst, I'm hedonistic and violent.

I am also new (as of M10 in fact) and looking to try out this Extended season.  I like the look of the Scapeshift deck but I don't really know.  I like controllish decks but I also have a fondness for the burn.  I like that AIR is easy to run but is Thopter really far and away the best deck?  Cause if so I'll just have to buy it and run it. 

Thanks for thoughts

What aren't you sure about regarding Scapeshift?  It has great matchups across the board, though it is a bit hard to play.  You'll want to practice with it quite a bit.

Thanks for thoughts

What aren't you sure about regarding Scapeshift?  It has great matchups across the board, though it is a bit hard to play.  You'll want to practice with it quite a bit.

3 concerns:

1.) Matchups.  I read Ben Starks article put not having a lot of experience against Ext decks I wasn't sure if it was really strong against the field.

2.) Cost.  As I have none of the cards (except for Valakut) this is a concern for me, but I can work with that.

and 3.) Learnability.  I want to be able to practice it heavily for the next month or so and then enter some PTQs.  I need the learning curve to be doable in that time frame of 1-2 months.
I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black
I am both selfish and chaotic. I value self-gratification and control; I want to have things my way, preferably now. At best, I'm entertaining and surprising; at worst, I'm hedonistic and violent.

Thanks for thoughts

3 concerns:

1.) Matchups.  I read Ben Starks article put not having a lot of experience against Ext decks I wasn't sure if it was really strong against the field.

2.) Cost.  As I have none of the cards (except for Valakut) this is a concern for me, but I can work with that.

and 3.) Learnability.  I want to be able to practice it heavily for the next month or so and then enter some PTQs.  I need the learning curve to be doable in that time frame of 1-2 months.

1. Scapeshift has great matchups.  It's good against both Zoo and Tezz-Gifts, the two tier 1 decks of this format.  After that, matchups are somewhat sketchy, but certainly winnable, especially with a proper sideboard.
3. A month of practice should be plenty, if you're getting quality testing in.

Thanks!  Now I won't feel so bad about shelling out some cash.  As long as I know I'm playing a w/ a winnable archetype I can justify it.
I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black