no extended love

28 posts / 0 new
Last post
Where's all my brainstormers at? Extended ptqs start in 2 weeks!

let's get working!
Where's all my brainstormers at? Extended ptqs start in 2 weeks!

let's get working!

True.  There's like no one active in these forums.  I think I've come to the point where I'll just play tezz or something that beats it, so I don't know how much brainstorming I have to do.
NO ONE EXPECTS THE QUAGSIRE INSURRECTION! My SUPER AWESOME GregtheEgg lightning bolt: http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm284/fengairen2/Scan.png pmppostchandraversion.png
the chord deck is still pretty sick vs zoo, although I haven't played it vs tezz yet, but I'd imagine infi vensers or infi life is more than tezz can deal with... I'm also leaning slightly towards dredge cause I love that deck, and I also think some kind of grapeshot/dstorm deck is ridiculously well positioned cause everyones boards are full of dredge/tezz/zoo hate
I also think some kind of grapeshot/dstorm deck is ridiculously well positioned cause everyones boards are full of dredge/tezz/zoo hate

D-Storm isn't expected but it's still a bit too vunerable compared to the other combo decks.
I'm still working on a Zoo deck that can beat both Tezz and the mirror.  Testing is going well, so far. 

Also, I have a feeling that some sort of GWB deck will be good.  It has too many strong cards to not be good, really.
has anyone thought of a thopter foundery, sword of the meek, iron work package?
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!" I'm cool too: click click click IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/6muO.gif)Adopt one today!Adopt one today!IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/dtqo.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/2SSh.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/5hmf.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/26gY.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/6SdI.gif)

Yes, it's pretty much weaker than tezz control.  Grace+nauseam also is clearly the best storm deck and fits the role you guys were talking about. 
NO ONE EXPECTS THE QUAGSIRE INSURRECTION! My SUPER AWESOME GregtheEgg lightning bolt: http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm284/fengairen2/Scan.png pmppostchandraversion.png

i did some testing with ironworks, its not terrible, but the problem was that adding a third piece to a deck that is already very good was just unnecessary.

as for other decks, i played around with other lists, and most of them were underwhelming at best. dragonstorm was ok, but inconsistent and too easy for them to disrupt. merfolk ended up being fun, but really weak against any aggro or control strategy. I tested a Swans combo/control list for a while, but as fun as that was, it got murdered by anything that has burn in it. the only decks ive tested that ive gotten any kind of decent results with are Swath Storm and Eggs. Eggs is fun, consistant, and really powerful, but with all the dredge hate in sideboards these days and a Tier 1 control deck in the format, its not worth playing. Swath on the other hand has been fantastic, but if anyone is expecting it you will lose.
evilweevil666, mntwinsfan, rathiassassin - what happened to the lotus forums? cause I'm looking for you guys to bounce ideas off of and nothing plus I got a ptq on the 2nd, and while I'm pretty sure I know what I'm going to play, I'd still like to bounce a few ideas off you
evilweevil666, mntwinsfan, rathiassassin - what happened to the lotus forums? cause I'm looking for you guys to bounce ideas off of and nothing plus I got a ptq on the 2nd, and while I'm pretty sure I know what I'm going to play, I'd still like to bounce a few ideas off you

We have a team lotus group on the forums, but I don't think rathi is even a member, he basically doesn't come on the forums.  I've been mostly pm'ing twins if I have something or talking to kedi.  So, pm me or hit me up on AIM.

We're mostly just using AIM or PMs.

I wouldn't mind seeing that list, by the way. 

We have a team lotus group on the forums, but I don't think rathi is even a member, he basically doesn't come on the forums.  I've been mostly pm'ing twins if I have something or talking to kedi.  So, pm me or hit me up on AIM.

I lurk a lot, actually - but I barely waste time logging in because there's only about one post on here every 2 days. Anyway, if you want to bounce ideas off me, my mtg AIM is the same as my user name, so you can hit me up there. weevil and I have been making a pretty nasty storm deck that I'll probably take to some PTQs, but I'm also working on a brand new Angelfire variant that has amazing gifts packages that will give Chapin's gifts deck a run for its money.

Edit: Just joined the Team Lotus group as well. What would you guys say about some deck testing later this weekend? I have a pretty solid team back at college and one of the guys has some UBR control deck that he's been testing as well, so we'll have plenty of stuff to try out.

I lurk a lot, actually - but I barely waste time logging in because there's only about one post on here every 2 days. Anyway, if you want to bounce ideas off me, my mtg AIM is the same as my user name, so you can hit me up there. weevil and I have been making a pretty nasty storm deck that I'll probably take to some PTQs, but I'm also working on a brand new Angelfire variant that has amazing gifts packages that will give Chapin's gifts deck a run for its money.

Edit: Just joined the Team Lotus group as well. What would you guys say about some deck testing later this weekend? I have a pretty solid team back at college and one of the guys has some UBR control deck that he's been testing as well, so we'll have plenty of stuff to try out.

Anyone going to be on tomorrow night?  I need to get some quality testing in.  Also, Rathi, PM me those lists.
I'm not going to be here including the rest of today and the next three days, but then I can test.

i did some testing with ironworks, its not terrible, but the problem was that adding a third piece to a deck that is already very good was just unnecessary.

as for other decks, i played around with other lists, and most of them were underwhelming at best. dragonstorm was ok, but inconsistent and too easy for them to disrupt. merfolk ended up being fun, but really weak against any aggro or control strategy. I tested a Swans combo/control list for a while, but as fun as that was, it got murdered by anything that has burn in it. the only decks ive tested that ive gotten any kind of decent results with are Swath Storm and Eggs. Eggs is fun, consistant, and really powerful, but with all the dredge hate in sideboards these days and a Tier 1 control deck in the format, its not worth playing. Swath on the other hand has been fantastic, but if anyone is expecting it you will lose.

What is eggs?
Real men hold shift. If everyone has their fingers in the pie, then someone is eating fingers.
eggs looks a little something like

4 lotus bloom
4 reshape
4 second sunrise
1 spoils from the vault

2 pyrite spellbomb
4 conjuror's bauble
4 chromatic star
4 chromatic sphere

4 manamorphose
4 edge of autumn
4 ponder
4 serum visions
1 bitter ordeal

4 ghost quarter
2 seat of the synod
10 island

basically you draw out your entire deck while producing infinite mana with lotus blooms and second sunrise, until you get to the point where you have like 4 cards left in library, which is when you recycle second sunrises with conjuror's bauble over and over until you produce infinite mana to do infinite damage with pyrite spellbomb. Alt win is producing infinite gravestorm with the same process and removing their library from the game with bitter ordeal. It's a fun fast semicompetitive combo deck. Decent deck, and if unexpected or facing an unfamiliar opponent, is just bye after bye because they don't know how to interact. For example, this would have an insane matchup with your average zoo build, but would have a mediocre to awful matchup with thopter foundry/gifts varients.

Unexpected combo decks are the bane of your average ptq player.
The problems of this forum aside Extended seem to be the less popular format. Most player that played Magic nearly from the start seems to prefer the Eternal Formats because they can play there pet cards without having to worry about set rotation. From the newer players many seems to stick with Standard because they dont have to invest in more expensive older cards and can sell the cards that rotates out off Standard to get money back. At least this is how many player in my area think. And this kind of thinking means that the only players interested in Extended are the players that are interested in playing PT(Q)s and Grand Prixs. The only Format with similar problems seem to be Block Contructed but at least Block Constructed seems to attract casual players at random because of the replay-the-story-line feeling.
man extended is my favorite format, and I know many other players who feel the same way. Standard becomes stagnant, and eternal formats are decent, but ext always feels vibrant to me
man extended is my favorite format, and I know many other players who feel the same way. Standard becomes stagnant, and eternal formats are decent, but ext always feels vibrant to me

QFT.  Extended is consistently far and away the best format.
Legacy is my favorite format, but Extended is close behind.  They're much more challenging and interesting to play than Standard.
extended is by far the best. standard isnt diverse or interesting enough to play consistently, and the eternal formats are good, but not as fun as extended
extended is by far the best. standard isnt diverse or interesting enough to play consistently, and the eternal formats are good, but not as fun as extended

agreed 100% but there is no one in my area that plays ext. so my thopter foundry/sword deck is just collecting dust atm and I'm kind of forced to play standard if I want to play. That aside I'm fairly sure I talked my local shop owner into holding 1-2 ext. events a month so we'll see how that pans out. I may be visiting these forums a bit more if it works out.
By the way, twin, I'm almost done with that list. I'd a new angelfire gifts variant, a lot of which was inspired from your angelfire deck last season. This one may try to do a little too much though. Here's a VERY rough list, and I haven't worked out the sideboard yet.

// Lands
    1 [P2] Mountain (3)
    2 [TSP] Academy Ruins
    3 [GP] Steam Vents
    2 [RAV] Sacred Foundry
    4 [DIS] Hallowed Fountain
    1 [MR] Plains (1)
    2 [7E] Island (2)
    4 [ZEN] Scalding Tarn
    3 [ZEN] Arid Mesa

// Creatures
    1 [ZEN] Iona, Shield of Emeria
    2 [M10] Baneslayer Angel
    1 [RAV] Firemane Angel
    3 [FD] Trinket Mage

// Spells
    3 [MR] Thirst for Knowledge
    1 [MR] Chalice of the Void
    2 [FD] Engineered Explosives
    2 [FD] Vedalken Shackles
    1 [TSP] Angel's Grace
    4 [V09] Gifts Ungiven
    2 [DIS] Spell Snare
    3 [8E] Mana Leak
    2 [MR] Isochron Scepter
    3 [REW] Lightning Helix
    1 [M10] Silence
    1 [TSB] Tormod's Crypt
    1 [10E] Pithing Needle
    3 [MR] Chrome Mox
    1 [A] Wrath of God
    1 [ZEN] Day of Judgment
By the way, twin, I'm almost done with that list. I'd a new angelfire gifts variant, a lot of which was inspired from your angelfire deck last season. This one may try to do a little too much though. Here's a VERY rough list, and I haven't worked out the sideboard yet.

// Lands
    1 [P2] Mountain (3)
    2 [TSP] Academy Ruins
    3 [GP] Steam Vents
    2 [RAV] Sacred Foundry
    4 [DIS] Hallowed Fountain
    1 [MR] Plains (1)
    2 [7E] Island (2)
    4 [ZEN] Scalding Tarn
    3 [ZEN] Arid Mesa

// Creatures
    1 [ZEN] Iona, Shield of Emeria
    2 [M10] Baneslayer Angel
    1 [RAV] Firemane Angel
    3 [FD] Trinket Mage

// Spells
    3 [MR] Thirst for Knowledge
    1 [MR] Chalice of the Void
    2 [FD] Engineered Explosives
    2 [FD] Vedalken Shackles
    1 [TSP] Angel's Grace
    4 [V09] Gifts Ungiven
    2 [DIS] Spell Snare
    3 [8E] Mana Leak
    2 [MR] Isochron Scepter
    3 [REW] Lightning Helix
    1 [M10] Silence
    1 [TSB] Tormod's Crypt
    1 [10E] Pithing Needle
    3 [MR] Chrome Mox
    1 [A] Wrath of God
    1 [ZEN] Day of Judgment

I don't really see why you shouldn't just run thopter combo here.  In fact, I think this deck could use tezz too, and then it just ends up being a worse tezz gifts =/.  Hmmmm.
That's the problem with playing control in this format.  You either need to find some way to play the beatdown adequately against Tezz (Faeries comes to mind) or have a better lategame against Tezz.  I can't really see Angelfire doing either. 
That's a bummer Undecided. I haven't really gotten fully exposed to the meta this season, but after looking over the thopter combo and tezz decks, I agree that I can't really see a deck like this succeeding this season.

Dredge seems to be taking some top 8s, but I haven't seen a dredge deck take 1st or 2nd yet. Needless to say, I definitely want to play with Gifts this season because I always say I'm going to - but then end up playing dredge. Maybe I'll assemble a thopter deck or some such nonsense.
about mid season dredge should be really well positioned, however with that said straight up thopter tezz is the strongest deck in the format (and is fun to play ;D)
I hope in my area the major extended qualifiers spark some interest. I haven't played extended in over a year but I have like 4 decks to choose from to play. Righ now I got Burn and Dragonstorm complete, and Dredge and AIR so close to completetion that it would not take me long to assemble either of them if people started playing.

Last years extended tournaments by me were some of the most fun times playing magic I've ever had.
True post count: 9,900 Thanks Wotc for not counting archived posts. If I post without capital letters than means I'm posting from my phone. For some reason it hates typing capital letters. Go_Texans on MTGO. Texans 12-4 Wildcard: W Texans 19 Bengals 13 Divisional: L Texans 28 Patriots 41 Another awesome season!