Consumables and Rituals

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Consumables and rituals are a terrible way to spend your money in general because you only get to use them once. Use them enough times, and you end up wasting a large amount of money that can never be recovered. That is why, unless there is a way to use them for free, they will usually never be used at all.

When we find magic items during your adventures, we get to use them until the end of the adventure, at which point we get to choose a bundle, which may include one of these items. Could we not instead of using the items, Disenchant them and use the residuum? Not as a means of attaining additional wealth of course, but as components for rituals or alchemical items. This would allow artificers to actually take advantage of their ritual casting and alchemy abilities without putting them at a monetary disadvantage.
The disenchant discussion has happened several times before.  While results will differ with different DMs, don't be surprised at the following:

1) Disenchanted items are not available in the bundles.
2) You can't keep anything made with it (I think you pointed that out in your post)
3) You can't keep the component itself
4) The DM may say you don't have time to perform the crafting rituals based on restrictions in the mod (time-limits, etc.).

IOW, you will likely be allowed to do it, but expect variation on how it's all handled.
Sorry WOTC, you lost me with Essentials. So where I used to buy every book that came out, now I will be very choosy about what I buy. Can we just get back to real 4e? Check out the 4e Conversion Wiki. 1. Wizards fight dirty. They hit their enemies in the NADs. -- Dragon9 2. A barbarian hits people with his axe. A warlord hits people with his barbarian. 3. Boo-freakin'-hoo, ya light-slingin' finger-wigglers. -- MrCelcius in response to the Cleric's Healer's Lore nerf
Consumables can have their place. If you look at some of them and think of them as an item that has charges, you might very well find the price reasonable, especially when compared to an item that would lose its value/worth due to leveling (which most consumables do as well). Also, some consumables are not daily powers. They can also sometimes be used together, or in advance of combat. For example, the ones that do ongoing damage and the ones that cause a vulnerability. Together, the effect can be really strong. I've had a home campaign leader that spent the equivalent of a minor item on a large number of consumables. I didn't regret it. I handed them out, resulting in some more flexibility, more resilience, and more damage across the table.

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

The biggest problem with Consumables is probably the difficulty in buying them.

For example Augmenting Whetstone  it costs 75GP. You will never use it in LFR because by the time you are 6th level you will have a +2 weapon.

At 75GP it would be a great 1-4 consumable in place of the ubiqitous Potion of Healing, but we are simply not allowed to purchase it.

Heck you cannot even purchase a Potion of Healing until you are 5th level, by which time many characters want the 9th level Potion of Vigor, because their surge value is now over 10...

The ability to buy consumables probably needs to be examined, to open them up for use more. If people want to start buying them that is going to eat into their cash for aquiring utility items that are not awarded through adventures, and there are a lot of items not awarded through adventures...
The disenchant discussion has happened several times before.  While results will differ with different DMs, don't be surprised at the following:

1) Disenchanted items are not available in the bundles.
2) You can't keep anything made with it (I think you pointed that out in your post)
3) You can't keep the component itself
4) The DM may say you don't have time to perform the crafting rituals based on restrictions in the mod (time-limits, etc.).

IOW, you will likely be allowed to do it, but expect variation on how it's all handled.

Or the option I go with:
5) You can disenchant mid adventure to get the components you don't currently have on you, but you have to pay the full cost at the end of the adventure.

In other words: no freebies.

-SYB
Sign In to post comments