12/16/2009 Judge Article: "2HG Guide for Judges"

4 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of the Judge Article 2HG Guide for Judges.

I've been running 2-3 2HG games a year now for a little while and I need to make sure I understand something. In your article you said:

"The defending team hasn't blocked the two attacking creatures, a 2/2 and a 3/3. If player A on the defending team casts Safe Passage before combat damage, when the attacking team deals damage they have to specify which player will be dealt damage: Safe Passage will only prevent damage that would be dealt to player A, since he's the one who cast the spell. Therefore the attacking creatures can deal 5 damage to the other player and this damage won't be prevented."

According to the 2HG FAQ: " the active team chooses only one of the defending players for that creature to assign its combat damage to."

The way I understand this, the active attacks, the inactive team declares blocks. The active team assigns combat damage (including which player is going to be hit), and then priority is passed for spells and abilities. This would allow the defending player to then play Safe Passage as a combat trick by deciding whether they are going to play it based on who is taking the damage. In example form this would look like:

Active team attacks with 2 Runeclaw Bears. Inactive team blocks one with Zombie Goliath and lets one Runeclaw Bear through. Active team announces that Nancy will be taking the 2 damage from the Runeclaw Bear. Nancy then decides she will play Safe Passage to avoid taking the damage.

Most of the time, players create a shortcut around the declaring of assigning damage to a specific player since it's not usually relevant.  That being the case, I have informed my players that it is the responsibility of the player that thinks assigning damage is relevant to ask who the damage is being assigned to.  Is that a correct understanding of the rules? Thanks for your great article!

*Edited for formating. 
~James Fields T.O. & Judge. Check out the New Tournament Organizer's Handbook.
I've been running 2-3 2HG games a year now for a little while and I need to make sure I understand something. In your article you said:

"The defending team hasn't blocked the two attacking creatures, a 2/2 and a 3/3. If player A on the defending team casts Safe Passage before combat damage, when the attacking team deals damage they have to specify which player will be dealt damage: Safe Passage will only prevent damage that would be dealt to player A, since he's the one who cast the spell. Therefore the attacking creatures can deal 5 damage to the other player and this damage won't be prevented."

According to the 2HG FAQ: " the active team chooses only one of the defending players for that creature to assign its combat damage to."

The way I understand this, the active attacks, the inactive team declares blocks. The active team assigns combat damage (including which player is going to be hit), and then priority is passed for spells and abilities. This would allow the defending player to then play Safe Passage as a combat trick by deciding whether they are going to play it based on who is taking the damage. In example form this would look like:

Active team attacks with 2 Runeclaw Bears. Inactive team blocks one with Zombie Goliath and lets one Runeclaw Bear through. Active team announces that Nancy will be taking the 2 damage from the Runeclaw Bear. Nancy then decides she will play Safe Passage to avoid taking the damage.

Most of the time, players create a shortcut around the declaring of assigning damage to a specific player since it's not usually relevant.  That being the case, I have informed my players that it is the responsibility of the player that thinks assigning damage is relevant to ask who the damage is being assigned to.  Is that a correct understanding of the rules? Thanks for your great article!

*Edited for formating. 

Combat damage does not use the stack.   Damage is dealt immediately after it is assigned.  You can't play spells or abilities after damage is assigned but before it is dealt.
Sure enough, I have confused the declare blockers and combat steps.  Thanks for your help!
~James Fields T.O. & Judge. Check out the New Tournament Organizer's Handbook.