12/16/2009 StF: "A Planeswalker's Guide to Zendikar: Goblins"

9 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's Savor the Flavor, which goes live Wednesday on magicthegathering.com.

loved the article. i would like to see this stuff around preview season instead of much later, because i think i would enjoy the cards more when i was opening them if i had the background then.
loved the article. i would like to see this stuff around preview season instead of much later, because i think i would enjoy the cards more when i was opening them if i had the background then.

Excellent idea!

I love seeing this stuff anytime, but during previews would really be great.

And also, any chance of seeing any of materials from older sets presented like this?
Proud member of C.A.R.D. - Campaign Against Rare Duals "...but the time has come when lands just need to be better. Creatures have gotten stronger, spells have always been insane, and lands just sat in this awkward place of necessity." Jacob Van Lunen on the refuge duals, 16 Sep 2009. "While it made thematic sense to separate enemy and allied color fixing in the past, we have come around to the definite conclusion that it is just plain incorrect from a game-play perspective. This is one of these situations where game play should just trump flavor." - Sam Stoddard on ending the separation of allied/enemy dual lands. 05 July 2013
typically it doesn't spoil much so i don't think it would be impossible to do during preview weeks. and i would also like to see the older sets' stuff.
My eyes were brachiating from paragraph to paragraph as I enjoyed this pleasant read.
The Creative team should be commended for their work on this plane. Zendikar has such a "complete" feel to it. It feels "lived-in" in the same way that Ravnica did (although not lived-in by as many people). As a player (i.e. a grownup pretending to be a planeswalker), I wouldn't mind spending more time here.

I agree about revealing this stuff earlier. It just makes me more eager to visit and it doesn't give anything away about the cards.
Hmm, I guess Akoum doesn't get its own thread.

Another great article -- though I'd still be much happier if we got a rough map of Zendikar (even if it came with the understanding that the roil was constantly stirring it up).
More wonderful stuff, especially the wandering city and the glass surfaced lake.
Proud member of C.A.R.D. - Campaign Against Rare Duals "...but the time has come when lands just need to be better. Creatures have gotten stronger, spells have always been insane, and lands just sat in this awkward place of necessity." Jacob Van Lunen on the refuge duals, 16 Sep 2009. "While it made thematic sense to separate enemy and allied color fixing in the past, we have come around to the definite conclusion that it is just plain incorrect from a game-play perspective. This is one of these situations where game play should just trump flavor." - Sam Stoddard on ending the separation of allied/enemy dual lands. 05 July 2013

I bought the shards of Alara planewalker guide and agree, it not worth publishing these guides even though I am interested in the content. Just don’t think it should have cost as much as it wasn’t value for money.

I do like to read this stuff, but find the current way pretty bland, there just pages of text with a few bit of card art. Given the modern web technology available, I’d like to see these spiced up and made into something like a mini website attached to its appropriate Plane under the Planes of Existence part of the site.

Within the mini site, you could have a link for Races, under which all the know races for that plane are listed, and then each has it own page. Much link how a MMORPG would do. Same with the plane’s regions or other places of interest. After that you could list any number of other stuff relevant for that plane. In all it would be a one stop place to learn about that plane

If I was a new player coming to this site, say in two years time and didn’t know about these guides but was interested in learning about past sets (much like I did do when I joined during Ravnica), if I check the Zendikar plane under the Planes of Existence all I’d get is a short blurb about the world. I would miss out on knowing about some interesting stuff that might prompt me to buy the book to learn to story.

Bottom line, like these but like to see them done different.