Dire Wolf brokeness...

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Sorry if this has been discussed before, I have been gone forever, but I have not seen many people discussing how good Dire Wolves are and they should be because dire wolves are awesome.  I don't know if this has been updated with errata, but my Character builder has the dire wolf's ability as:

Pack Hunter

The dire wolf's rider gains combat advantage against an enemy if it has at least one ally other than its mount adjacent to the target.

One you get past the strange use of the word "it" to refer to the rider its hard to not notice how easy this makes getting CA, especially for a ranged character.  The only explanation I have for the fact that everyone does not have this is the fact that guides seem to just assume you will have CA anyway from flanking or wintertouched, but as cool as that ability is, the dire wolf has an even better feature and you don't even need mounted combat to access it.  Look at this:

If the dire wolf has combat advantage against the target, the target is also knocked prone on a hit.

Note the fact that it does not say that the dire wolf has to be the one making the attack, it just say the enemy gets knocked prone on a hit.  It's not listed under any of the dire wolf's attacks and it does not imply that the dire wolf has to be attacking for this to be in effect some other way.  And against whom does the dire wolf have combat advantage?

The dire wolf gains combat advantage against a target that has one or more of the dire wolf's allies adjacent to it.

Every enemy that has a PC or other ally adjacent to them.  This makes every melee attack get an extra prone effect and range attacks that hit an enemy near an ally knock the opponent prone as well.  And you get it all just by having someone sit on top of a dire wolf.  Heck, you don't even have to ride the thing.  Just leave it at the inn but consider it to be one of your allies.

Not bad for 1,000 gp.

You broke it up rather oddly.  

Combat Advantage

The dire wolf gains combat advantage against a target that has one or more of the dire wolf’s allies adjacent to it. If the dire wolf has combat advantage against the target, the target is also knocked prone on a hit.

erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color:#000000">

These sentences clearly apply only to the Wolf and its attacks. 

Combat Advantage

The dire wolf gains combat advantage against a target that has one or more of the dire wolf’s allies adjacent to it. If the dire wolf has combat advantage against the target, the target is also knocked prone on a hit.

Wrong part.

This is what it says.

Pack Hunter (while mounted by a friendly rider of 5th level or
higher; at-will) ✦ Mount
The dire wolf’s rider gains combat advantage against an enemy if
it has at least one ally other than its mount adjacent to the target.

It should probably say this though:
The dire wolf’s rider gains combat advantage against an enemy if
its mount and at least one other ally are adjacent to the target.

Anyways, yes, a ranged fighter can currently get CA against a target if an ally is adjacent to it (even if the ranged fighter and their dire wolf are not).

Combat Advantage

Wrong part.

Well... I thought he was interpreting the other part correctly.  These sentences, however, were broken up and removed from context.

I'm picturing a druid Wild Shaped into a wolf, riding a wolf... just so the druid can make efficient use of Claw Gloves.
You'd get funny looks, and the occasional dousing with a bucket of water, but I don't see anything crunchwise that would make that fail.
Sign In to post comments