Can I use a daily magic item power/daily power just before combat?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
I am currently playing a LV 5 Eladrian avenger who just picked up a Staff of Resilience (which he can use thanks to the Divine Secret Keeper multiclass invoker feat).  Since he wields an excuation axe, and if I understand the magic items rules correctly has to equip (or at least have a hand on) the staff in order to use its daily power (which is a minor action), can I say to the DM, "I'd like to use the daily power on my staff before we begin combat (assuming of course that we know it is coming)?  This situtation generally comes up at least once duing an LFR adventure (usually before the climatic/final combat of the adventure.

Thank you in advance for you time and assistance in this matter.  
I am currently playing a LV 5 Eladrian avenger who just picked up a Staff of Resilience (which he can use thanks to the Divine Secret Keeper multiclass invoker feat).  Since he wields an excuation axe, and if I understand the magic items rules correctly has to equip (or at least have a hand on) the staff in order to use its daily power (which is a minor action), can I say to the DM, "I'd like to use the daily power on my staff before we begin combat (assuming of course that we know it is coming)?  This situtation generally comes up at least once duing an LFR adventure (usually before the climatic/final combat of the adventure.

Thank you in advance for you time and assistance in this matter.  

I don't often DM, but I would allow something like this provided:
A. You tell me beforehand. If we're rolling initiative or I'm describing the scene, it's too late.
B. You have a discernable game-world rather than a game mechanic trigger. If you say, "I use X power" before we open the door, that's fair game. "Before the combat" is not.
C. If you are replaying, I would require that the situation be one in which a reasonable person might suspect that combat is about to ensue. You're kicking in the door to the villain's evil sanctum? go ahead. If you are walking outside the tavern for a moonlight stroll, no dice.

So, you could guess when a combat is coming up and use the power in advance. I would be fine with that, but you would risk having the duration of whatever power you were using run out if you guess wrong.
I'd be dubious about allowing someone to use a power when the timing was clearly based on OOC knowledge.

If you know that your enemies are in the next room, fine, feel free to use powers before you burst into the room.  If the DM tells you that you have been exploring the castle for the last hour, but you know that the next room is special only because the DM just drew a map and asked you to place the miniatures before opening the door, not so much.

In your case, however, all of this is irrelevant.  The power of a staff of resilience is to give you temporary hit points.  Temporary hit points last until the next time you take a rest.  So, as long as you know that the next combat is the one that you want to have the temp hp buffer for, just use the power after you're done with your short rest from the previous combat and you're fine.
I agree. I have a cleric with a couple of utility standard actions like shield of faith that I try to get off before combat if I can. If we're about to burst open a door which will trigger initiative, then I think (as do most DMs that I play with) that saying 'I put up a shield of faith before we kick the door in' is a reasonable use of the power.

'End of the encounter' lasts five minutes if you're not in combat, so if you have a fight within the next five minutes of using the power, it's ok.

Occasionally my character has assumed combat was about to happen when it wasn't and blown his utility. It happens.
I agree.  Although I loved it when players did that in 3e.  I remember running some LG games where th eplayers would come up to a door, know that they were in for some combat and the casters would all start announcing "I cast X and then Y and then Z and... ."  I would usually interrupt them with the door opening and combat starting after the first spell or two.

They always seemed surprised that monsters also got listen checks.  heh...
Sorry WOTC, you lost me with Essentials. So where I used to buy every book that came out, now I will be very choosy about what I buy. Can we just get back to real 4e? Check out the 4e Conversion Wiki. 1. Wizards fight dirty. They hit their enemies in the NADs. -- Dragon9 2. A barbarian hits people with his axe. A warlord hits people with his barbarian. 3. Boo-freakin'-hoo, ya light-slingin' finger-wigglers. -- MrCelcius in response to the Cleric's Healer's Lore nerf