12/15/2009 LI: "Can I Kick It?"

11 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's Limited Information, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.

Steve, best advice for the general GRE - make sure you take the ETS computerized practice test!  It's basically the same software as what you use on the real exam, so it's very useful to practice and become familiar with.
Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...
A Magic: the Gathering writer a fan of A Tribe Called Quest? Can I believe it? One of my favorite bands of all time mixed with my favorite hobby..awesome.

The title and the headline used for each section makes this one of my favorite articles of all time. It fits so perfectly with Zendikar theme...makes me almost think that it was no coincidence :O
The link in the first post is broken; points to 698 instead of 69.  (69, dud!)

An okay article but not particularly helpful in resolving the dilemma of when to kick and when not to.  As for the Torchflinger I agree that if you're getting beat on and you can kill the beater and have nothing else, you should usually cast him unkicked.  Otherwise, try to use him when your opponent plays a 3/2 or better, or something with evasion or first strike that's hard to kill (Windrider Eel, Plated Geopede, etc.).
Good luck on the test!! Are you taking a subject test as well?
Usually the column isn't this bad.  Is your new target audience 8 year olds?  Absolutely nothing of substance was said within the entire column.  "Play your cards risk vs. reward for the circumstance." Really?

PS. If you find kicker/quest a difficult mechanic to use properly, I suggest staying far, far away from most blue cards.
Usually I find it is better to cast a creature on turn 2 then Zektar Shrine Expedition (followed by a Land) on turn 3. That way the creature can start blocking straight away and start attacking turn 3, without any negative impact to the Expedition (same number of counters). It also gives you a chance to see if you draw an extra Land, and see what your opponent does too.

~ Tim
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
Usually I find it is better to cast a creature on turn 2 then Zektar Shrine Expedition (followed by a Land) on turn 3. That way the creature can start blocking straight away and start attacking turn 3, without any negative impact to the Expedition (same number of counters). It also gives you a chance to see if you draw an extra Land, and see what your opponent does too.

~ Tim

Yes, that's fairly obvious, and Steve said the same :

You're playing a game, it's turn two and your hand consists of a Highland Berserker, a Zektar Shrine Expedition, some four-drops, and some lands. What do you do? Well, that's pretty easy. You play your Highland Berserker. Then next turn, assuming you don't draw anything, you cast your Zektar Shrine Expedition and follow it up with a land.

The thougher call is when you have a good two or three-drop that you could play instead of the Expedition on turn 3, and that's his point. In his opinion, you should play that creature, even if it means risking your quest doing nothing.

I myself tend to play the turn 3 Expedition even when I have that creature, because I want to maximize its chances of being activated. Steve tells me I should reconsider, and I think he makes good points, so I will. I'll give it more thought from now on if the same situation presents itself.

I also never dared to cast an unkicked Torch Slinger, where I probably should have on a few occasions. The lesson is that curving is more important than maximizing the effect of every card, and I think it's a good one.

Magic The Gathering DCI Lvl 1 Judge Don't hesitate to post rules question in the Rules Q&A forum for me and other competent advisors to answer : http://community.wizards.com/go/forum/view/75842/134778/Rules_Q38A

when is a good time to play the unkicked torch slinger?
when your opponent has loads of quality removal in hand; make them start using it

those times when a player waited for 5 mana and played the kicked kavu titan they were often rewarded with agonising demise and 5 dmg for their troubles.

use a burst lightning on that crap? no thank you, poke poke poke

force your opponent into the same dilemma, whereas using a bolt on a lacerator or highland barbarian is probably a nobrainer they will try to put off killing him and instead advance their board
they might even have their own slinger and be using that same phantom 8 mana to cast him.

hopefully theres real countermagic in the next set

I LOVE the '187' guys.  I greatly appreciated this article.

My eyes were always on the "Will he be playing an artifact soon?" / "Can I afford to play my 187-artifact guy...then have him follow up with an artifact?"

The kicker concept of 3 more mana = to 3 more swings is interesting.

Also, the guys with the constructive comments were greatly appreciated.

Sign In to post comments