what beats tez gifts?

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
this looks like the best deck in the format. it seems to have an answer to everything. how do you beat it? shatterstorm?
I think the question is more useful if you split it into two more specific questions:

1) Which decks are well-positioned in a Tezzeret-heavy metagame?

2) Which cards and tactics can be adopted by the popular decks to combat Tezzeret?

Bonus question for Johnny: 3) Can the popularity of Tezzeret make room for previously non-viable decks and strategies?

Now, can someone who actually knows the format come up with some answers?
I think the question is more useful if you split it into two more specific questions:

1) Which decks are well-positioned in a Tezzeret-heavy metagame?
I would say bant and fish decks, since tezz will probably scare away some aggro decks, which are bant's worst matchups and bant is good against tezz.
2) Which cards and tactics can be adopted by the popular decks to combat Tezzeret?
Not sure on this one, you have to be able to tempo them.
Bonus question for Johnny: 3) Can the popularity of Tezzeret make room for previously non-viable decks and strategies?
No, tezz will beat random decks, since you can play creature control against them, you have counters, and you can randomly combo them out.
Now, can someone who actually knows the format come up with some answers?

There.
NO ONE EXPECTS THE QUAGSIRE INSURRECTION! My SUPER AWESOME GregtheEgg lightning bolt: http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm284/fengairen2/Scan.png pmppostchandraversion.png
I would disagree - I think aggro Zoo (with Kird Ape and Jotun Grunt/Steppe Lynx) would do well against Tezz - it's very aggressive.
Agreed. IIRC, the deck is more or less pre-tuned to beat Angel Zoo, but traditional one-drop zoo is fast enough to give it problems.

I don't remember who said this, but it seems to hold true; if you want to beat a deck, build something slightly slower or way faster. Angel Zoo is slightly slower than traditional zoo; Tez Gifts is slightly slower than Angel Zoo; traditional zoo is way faster than Tez Gifts.

Still, Tez Gifts is a very strong deck, easily capable of defeating poorly built or poorly piloted zoo decks of any variety. Zoo decks, on the other hand, haven't really been tuned to beat it, and with adaptability being one of their major strengths, it's only a matter of time before someone shows up to a tournament with "Anti-Tezzeret Zoo". Will he then proceed to lose a whole bunch of zoo mirrors? Maybe.
Yeah, I was talking about angel zoo.  Haven't been seeing too much one-drop zoo lately.
NO ONE EXPECTS THE QUAGSIRE INSURRECTION! My SUPER AWESOME GregtheEgg lightning bolt: http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm284/fengairen2/Scan.png pmppostchandraversion.png
Agreed. IIRC, the deck is more or less pre-tuned to beat Angel Zoo, but traditional one-drop zoo is fast enough to give it problems.

I don't remember who said this, but it seems to hold true; if you want to beat a deck, build something slightly slower or way faster. Angel Zoo is slightly slower than traditional zoo; Tez Gifts is slightly slower than Angel Zoo; traditional zoo is way faster than Tez Gifts.

Still, Tez Gifts is a very strong deck, easily capable of defeating poorly built or poorly piloted zoo decks of any variety. Zoo decks, on the other hand, haven't really been tuned to beat it, and with adaptability being one of their major strengths, it's only a matter of time before someone shows up to a tournament with "Anti-Tezzeret Zoo". Will he then proceed to lose a whole bunch of zoo mirrors? Maybe.

See, that's the big problem.  It's hard to build Zoo to beat both Rubin Zoo and Tezzeret-Gifts. 

See, that's the big problem.  It's hard to build Zoo to beat both Rubin Zoo and Tezzeret-Gifts. 

Hope the format becomes so oversaturated with both of those decks opening up sideboard slots  and build a transformitive sideboard for 1drop zoo.
And it's said that youth's ,well only tragedy Is being unoriginal
89522235 wrote:
niche's solution to everything is always MOAR BLACK! "ok, my legacy mono black control deck is getting hated out by light of day..." "MOAR BLACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Hope the format becomes so oversaturated with both of those decks opening up sideboard slots  and build a transformitive sideboard for 1drop zoo.

I posted a fast Zoo list a while back in the Zoo thread that might have potential.  I never tested it, but, in theory, it should have enough removal to beat Rubin Zoo and be quick enough to beat Tez-Gifts.
Kavu Predator Zoo is pretty damn good at beating Tezz, since they can't stablilize with Thopter anymore, that deck has a ton of synergy, Kavu Predator, Punishing Fire, Fiery Justice, Grove of the burnwillows. It's pretty mental really.

Also, the Molten zoo beats Tezzeret and Rubin Zoo, because it comes out fast like a one-drop zoo deck, but shuts off the rubin zoo's baneslayers via LD. Obviously speed and LD agaisnt Tezzeret is pretty much a sure fire way to win.
Website for my radio series: http://www.cyrusbalesfilms.co.uk/id2.html For the facebook group of my radio series, search for "Who will save us now?" Please join! Follow my regular articles on: http://www.manaleak.com/mtguk/
my group has been playtesting for extended a lot. tez gifts seems to eat the rubin and saito zoos. what gives it problems is the all-in red deck. turn one blood moon, or turn one 10 goblins are problematic. it still goes 50-50. we havent been playtesting the traditional one-drop zoo... it seems like it loses to the new zoo versions.
my group has been playtesting for extended a lot. tez gifts seems to eat the rubin and saito zoos. what gives it problems is the all-in red deck. turn one blood moon, or turn one 10 goblins are problematic. it still goes 50-50. we havent been playtesting the traditional one-drop zoo... it seems like it loses to the new zoo versions.

AIR isn't that bad for tezz.  I'm pretty sure I lost the majority of games with AIR against kedi, but they easily could have gone my way.