A player wants to be a werewolf

44 posts / 0 new
Last post
We're all new to D&D and I'm the DM.
I've got a player wanting to be a werewolf.  But he does not want to be a shifter longtooth/razerclaw.  "They're not actually were creatures."  And the Moonstalker paragon only allows an animal form.
Is there a template somewhere, or a procedure for modifying Monster Manual creatures into playable races/classes?

Honestly there isint a system in place to make your own race.

As far as creating a werewolf he could just play a druid. With animal form he could just transform into a wolf. Or if he just wants the wolf shape for rp reasons he could multiclass druid and get wildshape.

As far as the shifter (and other races) goes you as the dm could just say that it is a werewolf just use those stats. just becuse fluff is written down dosent mean you cant change it.

I thought about druid wildshape, but wouldn't that just be a typical wolf?

I think a shifter is as close as I can get.  Maybe I could change the fluff to be more werewolf looking and have him give up a feat and give him the MMs lycanthrope's regen and blood rage?

The werewolf regen is ridiculously powerful for a feat (and one of the reasons why Longtooth is recommended: a more reasonable regen rate).  A Blood rage feat giving some bonus may be workable but +4 is highly out of line with current power. If there is something similar I don't know what it is.

Generally, check if your player is after the ridiculous power, and if so, try and work something reasonably similar. Of course it's worth knowing what they want from this. They may be angling for an "uncontrollable curse" angle which is a totally different kettle of fish.

As for refluffing, I can easily see a Longtooth who turns into a wolf form when bloodied, getting the regen and the damage bonus.
it doesn't get closer than shifter + beast form focused druid + shifter feats + paragon path

you might consider creating a paragon path 

Make them a custom werewolf race. Copy the entire shifter entry and then switch out the name shifter for werewolf. Add in some fluff about aversion to silver, and rumors of uncontrollable fits of rage at the sight of a full moon. Change the name of the shifter you choose's racial power to "Wolf Form" and tell them that they turn into either A- A large powerful, and super scary werewolf, or B- A half man half wolf monster. Depending on which one they want.

You can even give them some custom racial feats and paragon paths, just swap the name "shifter" out for werewolf again.

- Easiest recommended solution.

Make a custom set of bloodline feats, similar in vein to the dhampire feats. (or whatever the name for the bloodline feats that are basically vampires in dragon magazine were called).

-I would be careful about the balance of these feats and use the existing ones as a ruler.

Tell your player "OK pick a race and run with it. Occasionally depending on the phase of the moon, I will DMPC your character, who will fall into an uncontrolled rage. During this time you will be super crazy badass strong, but you also will regard all beings as foes. This might end up killing you. When you get control again, you will remember specific bits of information about the previous night that I tell you.

-Most true to werewolf legend that I have always heard, but also totally doesn't have any mechanics included, which it sounds like your PC wants.

Have them play a druid. Their preferred wildshape shape is a freakishly huge wild wolf or half wolf half man. They can refluff most of their beast form powers to be "I am in wolf form and bite your face off". Downside being that they have some awkward refluff on some power choices. "I turn into a giant wolf monster, and gain a fly speed for the fight?... maybe I jump for a long time?"

"In a way, you are worse than Krusk"                               " As usual, Krusk comments with assuredness, but lacks the clarity and awareness of what he's talking about"

"Can't say enough how much I agree with Krusk"        "Wow, thank you very much"

"Your advice is the worst"

Krusk, do you know which dragon article you were referring to?

All of my players keep wanting things not covered in the books, looks like I'm going to have to become an insider just to see if any of the other stuff is covered either.

I enjoy their custom mindset.  But they've not played D&D before.  They've mainly played classless or leveless systems.  So in those systems one could say "I want to be a werewolf" and it was an easy thing to do.  But here, we have to consider how the player is going to progress in levels or improve over it's initial concept. 

Tangent:
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't an eariler version of D&D (maybe 2.0 AD&D) eventually release a set of rules to convert almost any monster into a playable race?

Tangent:
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't an eariler version of D&D (maybe 2.0 AD&D) eventually release a set of rules to convert almost any monster into a playable race?

This was done in dnd3.5 in Savage Species but tended to end in the creation of unbalanced characters (either severely gimped or overpowered), thus I can't recommend it. The basic principle was to give characters additional powers/stats/resistances/weaknesses/etc but raise the level of the character so say (IIRC):

A drow would only be playable as a 3rd level or higher PC to account for racial spell resistance and daily powers. So the player could have a level 1 character join a party of level 3 PCs, with all the stats and abilities of a lvl 1 character plus the monster's abilities. In 4e, this would mean you would die if something breathed heavily near you, would have -1 to all level dependent effects (AC, attack rolls, skills), only one feat, etc.

My advice would be to go with increasing the relative fluffiness of the longtooth-shifter.

Thanks to all the replies.

It'll help me get going.

What you need to do is find out what, excatly, he want's from being a wear-wolf.

Rembmer in 4e, the mechanics are the only thing that you really need to follow, the rest is just a "suggestion".

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

I know what he wants.  He wants a ragefull but in control "typical" werewolf.
Not a twilight "I can turn into a big but normal wolf so I'll claim to be a werewolf" crap.
But a werewolf like the kind from the White Wolf games or even like the ones from the Underworld movies.
And really the Werewolf from the monster manual fills that role enough (if you forgive/ignore the "wearing armor" and "wielding clubs" crap).
The problem is that of course doesn't lend to a character that starts low level and grows in abilities and powers/skills/feats as he levels.

He just needs to change his thinking.  He's used to level-less or class-less systems (marvel, Mutants and Masterminds, etc) where you can draw up a concept character that's more or less exactly what you want and improvements are minor.  What he's not used to is a system where you basically need to choose a provided race/class because it's leveling system is designed into the system.

I think I can go longtooth shifter, have him be a druid, and refluff.  But if he's wanting to stick with the "typical" werewolf motif, there's a lot of druid powers he'll not be able to pick from.  Sure the beast bites, and beast attacks are right up the character concept alley, but not the other powers that branch into the more "druid-y" stuff.  I suppose if he gets to a level where the powers don't fit his motif, he can just choose powers from other primal classes.
Another option might be a gnoll, with claw fighting.

guides
Power
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Longtooth shifter, but let him take that feat from Dragon (can't remember which) that gives Tieflings a daily racial hulk-out form.
(I employ zie/zie/zir as a gender-neutral counterpart to he/him/his. Just a heads-up.) Essentials definitely isn't for me as a player, and I feel that its design and implementation bear serious flaws which fill me with concern for the future of D&D, but I've come to the conclusion that it isn't going to destroy the game that I want to play. Indeed, I think that I could probably run a game for players using Essentials characters without it being much of a problem at all. Time will tell, I suppose.

maybe longtooth shifter wildblood warden mc druid with some custom dailies that are a bit more to his taste
Krusk, do you know which dragon article you were referring to?

No idea, but a one month subscription nets you 5 downloads of the character builder (including all the info in it up until that point). Now you have to install them all on your own computer, account sharing isn't allowed, but you can say "OK I'm the DM, everyone build characters using my laptop."

One month is also like 10$.

I don't remember if they let you download back issues of the magazine, but I think they originally did.

"In a way, you are worse than Krusk"                               " As usual, Krusk comments with assuredness, but lacks the clarity and awareness of what he's talking about"

"Can't say enough how much I agree with Krusk"        "Wow, thank you very much"

"Your advice is the worst"

A more general question: does he specifically want to be a werewolf, or is he mostly just interested in being a wolf-person? The latter can be done by simply re-skinning an existing race and giving it an appropriate background, and a custom race for it is probably easier to write up than a full-on werewolf.

That said, if the player wants a full werewolf, it's still doable - the PC writeup does need to be about on par with other PCs though. I do agree that the shifter is a bad option, both for theme (bleh), and mechanics (blergh). It and a few other races still point the way to some other approaches. There are a few floating around, including a couple that I've done, but I'm currently using a much simpler one than those:

-----

Werewolf Racial Traits

Ability Scores: +2 Strength, +2 Wisdom
Size: Medium
Speed: 6 Squares
Vision: Low-light

Languages: Common, choice of one other
Skill Bonuses: +2 Athletics, +2 Endurance
Bloodied Regeneration: You gain regeneration 2 while bloodied. [Increase to regeneration 4 at 11th; regeneration 6 at 21st.]
Feral Predator: You gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls against bloodied targets. [Increase to +4 at 21st.]
Humanoid Form: You have the Humanoid Form power.
Immune Moon Frenzy: You are immune to Moon Frenzy and Greater Moon Frenzy.
Shapechanger: You are a medium natural humanoid with the shapechanger subtype.

--

Humanoid Form (Werewolf Racial Power)

You alter your form to resemble that of the unsuspecting prey.
At-Will * Polymorph
Minor Action Personal
Effect: You alter your physical form to take on the appearance of a unique Medium humanoid. You retain your statistics in your new form, and your clothing, armor, and possessions do not change. You can end this effect as a minor action, and it ends immediately if you die.
Any creature that attempts to see through your ruse makes an Insight check opposed by your Bluff check, and you gain a +5 bonus to your check.

----------

Feral Deception [Heroic]

Prerequisite: Werewolf.
You gain a +2 feat bonus to Bluff checks. When you are in humanoid form and a creature attempts to see through your ruse, roll your Bluff check twice and use the higher result.

Frenzied Bite [Heroic]

Any target hit by your Savage Bite also takes a -2 penalty to its Will defense and ongoing 2 damage (save ends both). [Increase to ongoing 4 damage at 11th; ongoing 6 damage at 21st.]

Wolf Form [Heroic]

You gain the druid's Wild Shape power. Your Wild Shape form is that of a Medium gray wolf, and you gain a +2 bonus to speed in this form. You also gain the Savage Bite power.

--

Savage Bite (Werewolf Racial Attack)

Your fangs sink deeply into the flesh of your prey.
At-Will * Beast Form
Standard Action
Melee touch
Target: One creature
Attack: Strength + 4 vs AC [Increase to Strength + 6 at 11th; Strength + 8 at 21st]
Hit: 1d6 + Strength modifier damage.
Level 21: 2d6 + Strength modifier damage.
Special: This power can be used as a melee basic attack. You may use this power in your hybrid form (but not in your humanoid form) even though it has the beast form keyword.

-----

Something else to keep in mind: 4E werewolves are quite different than old-E ones. Their hybrid form is their normal one, and they're a species unto themselves rather than being a condition that other races become cursed/afflicted/blessed/etc with. The player might not be aware of this difference; unlike 3E-and-earlier, he'd be 'just' a werewolf, not a human werewolf or elf werewolf or the like - his humanoid form might look like one of those but he isn't actually one of those (which mainly means that he doesn't qualify for feats, PPs, etc, that require one of those races).
might be a bit of a stretch, but take the Joe Talbain path and be a shifter monk, replace punch with claw and any other animal power name with wolf's
jontalbain.gif
Neutronium Dragon, that write-up is perfect.  I still wasn't feeling the longtooth+druid thing even though it would have worked.
I like what you did here, and I'm just going to use this.

Slight clarification though, in your writeup is his race AND class "werewolf"?
I ask in case he tries to do something crazy like multiclass (I doubt he will, but I like to be prepared).

Or is this like the "bloodline feats" introduced in Dragon Mag?  And he would still need to choose a class or something.
No, only it's his race, just like a human or elf. It's not a bloodline and it doesn't predetermine his class; he chooses that just like anyone else.
I haven't seen anyone mention it, so I will.  Have him be a shifter Druid, but have him multi class Barbarian to pick up the Rage stuff that Barbarians favor.  You said that your player wanted a werewolf full of rage.  Just a thought.
By and large, I think a Shifter druid is what the 4e system provides to match what your friend wants.  (Full Disclosure: my shifter druid character wild shapes into some sort of ostrich-hawk-monsterous-bird thingy unless he tries on purpose to shape into something different.  This is from a malfunction in the blessing which opened me to the Beast Within.)

A few years ago, somebody posted 'my friend wants to play a Vampire at L1, what do I do?'  I suggested a low-powered version of a vampire with some drawbacks.  For instance, must eat one meal of uncooked or barely cooked meat each day - and be sure as DM that the server gossips to the other patrons in the tavern about it.

Something similar might work here.  Your friend plays a human plus gets a neat thing or two - Pounce or Savage Rend are druid L1 beast-form powers - usable only at night during a 3/4 or more moon.  On the night of the full moon, the PC becomes a DMPC for 24 hours and has to keep making Will saves (at progressive penalties) if he tries to fight it.  It doesn't matter how often he shaves, he always has a 5 o'clock shadow and hair all over his body.  An inexplicable fascination with sweet juicy fruits when the moon is new.  The first time at night he sees the moon in the sky, howls (there goes the Stealth check).  Hums a tune much like "Werewolves of London" while travelling.

At low levels, work a lot of fluff and role-playing into the character.  Find out if he really wants to play D&D or fantasize about the PC game that inspired him.

Best complements I have yet received:

Show

Making it up as I go along:

{BRJN} If I was writing the Tome of Lore, I would let Auppenser sleep. But I also would have him dream. In his dreaming he re-activates the innate powers of (some) mortal minds. Or his dreaming changes the nature of reality - currently very malleable thanks to Spellplague &c. Or whatever really cool flavor text and pseudo-science explanation people react positively to.

{Lord_Karsus} You know, I like that better than the explanations for the Spellplague.

Prepped ahead of time:

I started the thread "1001 Failed Interrogation Results" (which seems to have faded into that great electronic goodnight, alas)

{ADHadh} These are all good and make sense! I just can't come up with something that's not covered here and is not completely ridiculous.

My 4e characters:

Show

Active:

LFR Half-elf StarLock8 Gondolin Nightstar

AoA Dwarf Guardian Druid8 Narvik from House Wavir

Character Ready-to-go:

Neverwinter Dwarven Invoker / Heir of Delzoun, worships Silvanus (!) "Truenamer" - speaks Words of Creation

Concepts I'm kicking around:

"Buggy" Wizard - insect flavor on everything.  His DMPC version is going to become a Lamia.  Becauae lichdom is so cliche.

Halfling Tempest Fighter - just because nobody else is doing it

Shifter Beast-o-phile Druid - for Nentir Vale campaign

This discussion reminds me a lot of another current thread...

Borrowing from that, I suggest:

* You the DM must be in control of when he shifts.

* Link powers etc. together as much as possible. If he uses his first-level daily and then shifts, his first-level daily is gone in that form too.

* For werewolf form, take his normal stats - just rearrange them. And for the werewolf's "class", refluff a barbarian.

If that sounds like a good general direction, go read the other thread for more details & ideas.

"The world does not work the way you have been taught it does. We are not real as such; we exist within The Story. Unfortunately for you, you have inherited a condition from your mother known as Primary Protagonist Syndrome, which means The Story is interested in you. It will find you, and if you are not ready for the narrative strands it will throw at you..." - from Footloose
Stick to the classic rules of werewolves.

You take control when he's in wolf form.

Kill a villager or two.

Villagers hunt the player.

Word spreads, player not allowed in any towns.

otherwise, play a shifter/gnoll
Amazed at how obtuse people can be since 1972.
Honesty, if your all new to D&D I'd probably say no, you can't be a warewolf, pick something thats in the book.  If you do take one of the other suggestions for how to make the rules work make sure that you don't end up with this player taking over the campaign.  Normally the players are the good guys, if this werewolf character is going to cause conflict within the party it's going to lead to less fun for the whole group.
4E werewolves in any context are in control of their actions at all times - they're a race of their own, so 'loses control in wolf form' isn't applicable here. The main challenge is representing the shapeshifting powers and overall theme while keeping the race in line with the others. The writeup I gave above is an example of that, though it certainly isn't the only one you could take.

"Be a druid" doesn't work because it locks you into a specific class and role, which isn't the idea of a race.

Shifters' mechanics, apart from being badly done in their own right, don't match up to the theme of the werewolf. (They'd be better for playing The Incredible Hulk than anything.)

"Play a gnoll" might work if all he wants is to be a wolf-person without the shapeshifting - but in that case you can just as easily reskin almost any other race for the purpose, depending on what sort of theme you're going for.

-----

There's no reason why a werewolf PC has to be disruptive to the group. The MM ones are evil because they represent antagonists (just like MM gnolls). A PC werewolf could have any alignment and outlook (just like PC gnolls).
I'm not going to take control of him while he's in werewolf form, that's not really right.  And pretty much against the spirit of the game.  At that point he's basically half NPC.  Would you guys have fun playing that character?  I can still easily give him a bad rep among villagers, he is a werewolf after all. 

I'm going to take Neutronium Dragon's solution.  And either leave it as is, or change it from racial to bloodline (like the vampires in Dragon mag).

As long as I can work out the logistics of it, I have no problem any player being almost anything they want.  I mean if the official character generator allows you to be everything from Dragonborn, to Kobolds, to Minotaurs...then I have no problem with wanting to be other fantasy creatures. 
There's no reason why a werewolf PC has to be disruptive to the group. The MM ones are evil because they represent antagonists (just like MM gnolls). A PC werewolf could have any alignment and outlook (just like PC gnolls).

True.

Also, in a related note, why is it that a lot of people are of the opinion that if you're going to play D&D everyone has to be like Lawful Good or they can't play?   No other RPG really does this.  Like if you were playing a superhero RPG would you tell the players they can't be X-Men?  Ignoring the cartoons (cause they have to be kid friendly) the X-Men are not "good guys".  They're straight up Vigilantes.  Sure in the end they're falling on the side of good, but that doesn't mean they don't cross the line to get the job done.  I mean, they're mascot member is a rapid healing dude of anger and blade claws...you think he only uses those claws to cut vegetables?
I'm not saying play an Evil campaign...but as long as all the players are in on it, I don't see why they can't play vigilante type characters closer to the dividing line.
I mean in your guys campaigns the players still kill the kobolds, right?  Shouldn't they, by the typical logic I'm reading, be trying to get them to surrender peacefully first? 

4E does assume that the characters are heroic, though of LG, G, or Unaligned equally. Evil PCs tend to come with other problems (witness the large number of disaster stories posted in the Community section) so people are wary of any such concept.

If you want to make a lycanthropy bloodline then you can do that, but the writeup I gave above won't be suitable for it - it's written to be a PC race. Also, 4E werewolves are a race unto themselves, not a bloodline/curse/disease/etc applied to another race (this is a deliberate difference from older editions), so an implementation of that sort will be more difficult to assess. If you're just starting out then diving into a project like that probably isn't a good idea - wait until you all have more familiarity with the system.

That's why the writeup above is as a race - your race is "werewolf" full stop, not "human werewolf" or "elf werewolf", even if your humanoid form looks like one of those. (4E werewolves' natural forms are the hybrid - the humanoid one is a disguise, not their natural one.)
Nothing prevent's you from playing evil in 4e, they just advise against it due to it's party destructive nature.  It's hard for evil people to get along.  However if you can handle it, then the more power (and fun) to you.

guides
Power
my builds

Yaknow just to clear up a slight misconception...

Number 1...Druids don't need to turn into a fully animal shape..infact its very much suggested that the shape retains humanoid form (IE he can be a werewolf that way).

Another thought..that someone touched upon, but nobody finished.  Is look at the Barbarian...the daily rage abilities....that can be the unholy werewolf rage your friend wants...just rule that whenever he uses Barbarian rage...he turns into a werewolf, once the rage is up so is the shape.

But for at will changing you prob want druid..there are feats that make the shapeshifted form actually change abilities.
Again, the problem with the druid is that, while it has at-will shapeshifting, it locks you into a specific class/role. Moreover, it pretty much demands that you go the beast form specialized route, which further restricts what you can do with it. I actually tried this out myself to see whether it was as viable as solution as it's often presented, and my experience is that it doesn't do the job.
Or you can say... "No".

It's a lot of work on your part to fit a players "wetdream". The shifters are watered down werewolves/tigers. Any actual werewolf would be far too powerful for this system and they did away with the absurd ECL system with monster races.

Shifters are often hunted down for being descendants of werewolves and they "shift" into a more animal/human form once blooded. If he insists on playing a werewolf, forward him to whitewolf and he can be in garu form all he wants (Inflicting lunacy to all the poor chaps). The player, in this case, needs to bend here. Shifters give plenty of the werewolf flavor without breaking the character - it's a good compromise and I enjoyed playing the race myself.

Some of the posters here suggested out of race feats or re-flavoring the shifters to be even more animalisic. I suggest that and strongly oppose creating a whole new race or feats just for him.
"DMs are not always right, but whatever the DM says, goes. And if he says enough stupid stuff, his players go too." - Salla
A Barbarian with the druid multiclass is your best bet. You dont even need to reflavor much. You got your rages and you got the wolf-form.

A shifter also fits great, unless the players wants his werewolf to be able to take a human form too. In that case just play a human and reflavor the barbarian rages in that he takes hybrid wolf characteristics when he rages.

Thats ofcourse if you want to stick to the rules. If you dont care much about sticking to the rules, houserule anyhing you like. Just take care that Regeneration and Damage Reductin are very powerful defensive mechanics. And the werewolf designed for you by Neutronium Dragon is thus broken.
Maybe I should clarify, the player isn't "demanding" I let him be werewolf.  He simply asked if he could be one and I said yes.  If I didn't want a player to have fun and roleplay whatever he wants, I'd be stiffling the nature of roleplaying games and at that point I really shouldn't be a DM.  Sure I could have told him "I don't know how", but I knew the excellent D&D community may be able to help.  True, I don't know the D&D 4e system all that well, but I have been DMing a lot of other systems for like 15 years.  And the honest statement here is that if a system can't accomodate such a simple request as "I want a custom character", then that system is broken...plain and simple.
As I suspected, though, this system can accomodate this and knowing how to do it is just a matter of how well one knows the system.  As others have helped me out with which I'm grateful for.

Thanks to all the wonderful people who've replied to me here.  I am now armed with several options I could take; reflavoring shifters, restricting allowed powers on a druid, ND's race write-up, etc.
I just need to take one and run with it.

I think if WotC were to "officially" do this (assuming they take it a step beyond shifter), they'd probably do Bloodline Feats like they did for the Vampires.
But that would take a level of knowledge of the system that I simply don't have yet.
> It's a lot of work on your part to fit a players "wetdream".

Nice attitude.

> The shifters are watered down werewolves/tigers.

Which is why many people seem not to like them or want to use them.

> Any actual werewolf would be far too powerful for this system and they
> did away with the absurd ECL system with monster races.

False - a PC writeup will be of the same power level as any other (as with the example I gave above).

> Shifters are often hunted down for being descendants of werewolves and
> they "shift" into a more animal/human form once blooded.

How they're viewed is entirely dependent on the campaign fluff.

> If he insists on playing a werewolf, forward him to whitewolf and he can
> be in garu form all he wants (Inflicting lunacy to all the poor chaps).

I'm not sure why there seem to be so many irrational statements about White Wolf on the forums lately (and I say that as someone who doesn't like their games), but the fact that WoD has PC werewolves in no way precludes them from being an acceptable option in D&D. Nor does it follow that someone wanting to play a werewolf must inherently be interested in the WoD system or WoD take on them. (Because I'm getting the impression that you feel that anyone wanting to play a werewolf must be 1) A White Wolf "fanboi" and 2) Therefore automatically a bad person/player, neither of which have any logical basis.)

> The player, in this case, needs to bend here. Shifters give plenty of the
> werewolf flavor without breaking the character - it's a good compromise
> and I enjoyed playing the race myself.

It's great if it worked for you, but the repeated requests for PC werewolf writeupts that show up on this and on the Races forum make it clear that the shifter isn't seen as an acceptable substitute by many.

> Some of the posters here suggested out of race feats or re-flavoring the
> shifters to be even more animalisic. I suggest that and strongly oppose
> creating a whole new race or feats just for him.

Personal dislike of a PC race option, or of another gaming system that offers a similar PC race option, is not a good reason to oppose it being added to someone else's D&D campaign, nor is the idea of writing up a custom race for a PC inherently a crime. The developers don't feel it is either, as illustrated in the DMG2 sidebar "My Son the Fire Archon" and elsewhere.
4E werewolves in any context are in control of their actions at all times - they're a race of their own.

Actually 4E werewolves in any context are totally under the control of the DM - because they (per RAW) are not available as a player race.

Longtooth shifters (an available player race) explicitly are descended from werewolves. But are not themselves werewolves. PHB2 page 16 and 17.

Also, in a related note, why is it that a lot of people are of the opinion that if you're going to play D&D everyone has to be like Lawful Good or they can't play?

Because of several factors, one being that 4E D&D has the worst alignment system I've ever seen in an RPG. (And I've played several that have no alignment system at all.) It takes two UNRELATED factors and forces one linear scale upon them. This produces quite a few contradictions, such as the fact that a character who in 3E would be Chaotic Good, in 4E reflexively trusts both the law itself and the people responsible for enforcing it.

With the way that True Neutral got sliced in half in 4E and one half thrown out, it's difficult to come up with a reason for an Unaligned adventurer to stay in the business past about level 8 - unless it's a save-the-world quest. Any lesser goal is probably either already achieved or permanently out of reach by then.

There are player maturity issues, as well as "why are these characters staying together as a party?" issues, that have always made evil PCs unpopular among DMs and other players alike. The Lawful Evil alignment would help somewhat on some of that, but guess what? It no longer exists. And Chaotic Evil got some adjustments to its definition that made the staying-together problem even worse.

(Note: There are several changes in 4E that I disliked at first and changed my mind about. The skill system is less inadequate than the skill system in earlier editions, for example. But the more I look at 4E alignment, the less I like it.)
"The world does not work the way you have been taught it does. We are not real as such; we exist within The Story. Unfortunately for you, you have inherited a condition from your mother known as Primary Protagonist Syndrome, which means The Story is interested in you. It will find you, and if you are not ready for the narrative strands it will throw at you..." - from Footloose
> Actually 4E werewolves in any context are totally under the control of the
> DM - because they (per RAW) are not available as a player race.

If you want to be pedantic, they're under the control of whomever is playing them (because it won't always be the DM).

> Longtooth shifters (an available player race) explicitly are descended from
> werewolves. But are not themselves werewolves. PHB2 page 16 and 17.

And they're not what people are looking for in many cases, including the OP of this thread. Hence the requests for PC werewolf writeups that keep appearing on these forums; they don't have to be in a WotC book to be valid.

Alignment: Disagreed (but I don't want this to turn into another alignment thread).

Maturity: Agreed, and it's an issue regardless of alignment; it just seems to come up more often in association with 'I want to play evil!'

I'm in the Shifter + Barbarian + MC Druid camp; it sounds like it'd line up with what the player wants.

That's not forcing the race into a specific role btw; that's making a character. Assuming this guy is the only PC (note: PC! there can be plenty NPCs; they don't need a racial writeup anyway) that's a perfectly acceptable way to do it.

The "must have racial write-up because werewolf is a race" is a hold-over from other games; it doesn't fly in 4e. Just grab the appropriate mechanics, and refluff them to match your idea. Who cares if one werewolf is a Shifter Barbarian and the other werewolf in the team is an Elf Druid; if the fluff makes them both Werewolves, they are both Werewolves. 

Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
Update 5th Sep 2011: Added a sample kingdom, as well as sample of play.
I am just tossing in my two pennies as I also want to play a wolf character. However, I'm wanting mine to be LFR legal, so I am going to go primal predator druid and re-flavor my powers to be "wolves" instead of frogs, parrots, whatever.

My advice to your gaming group is to take baby steps. It sounds like you all have some gaming experience but none in 4e (as I think you said), and in my experience when you start trying to do a lot of customization early, the characters end up grossly overpowered. This may not be a big deal to you as the DM because you can compensate for it, but your other players may feel as if their characters are lame in comparison.

A couple of other points:

1. Tell him to rethink druid, or even hybrid beastmaster ranger MC druid or whatever. Several variations could be reflavored to fit what he wants without the need of a lot of custom feats, bloodlines etc.

2. Elven druids in beast form can get crazy charge movement speeds. That solves your speed issue and the beast powers of the druid would give you plenty of attacks to match the theme.

3. There is a wonderous item called...Onyx Dog or something similar (someone will correct that for me I hope) that would be a daily "wolf" he could use.

4. There is a giant riding wolf mount that could be used.

5. MC shaman could net him a spirit companion (wolf) as well.

Basically, dont give up on reflavoring exisiting stuff before you worry about creating custom stuff. I think he will be content if you do, and hopefully you wont run into walls for situations that custom stuff often causes.

Let us know how it turns out!
> The "must have racial write-up because werewolf is a race" is a hold-over
> from other games; it doesn't fly in 4e. Just grab the appropriate
> mechanics, and refluff them to match your idea.

While I'm a proponent of refluffing mechanics when it's appropriate (and I have done so for several 4E characters that I have played), I take issue with this statement because it's taking the absolute to the other extreme.

Sometimes there's an appropriate mechanic or package of mechanics (which is what a race or class is) to do the job. Sometimes there isn't, and the more of a thematic stretch you have to make, the less appropriate it becomes.

I feel that the werewolf is one of the latter cases, and I say this having tried some of these "solutions" myself (over the course of 4E) to see how well they worked; my experience is that they don't - the mechanics-fluff connection feels forced and plays awkwardly. (Thus why I wrote up a proper PC race for it.)

Moreover, even though mechanics can sometimes be refluffed, this does not make it inappropriate to alter mechanics or to create new ones if it results in a better fit. This is also the position taken by the designers, as that DMG2 entry I pointed out earlier describes. ("My Son the Fire Archon," DMG2 P21, in which James Wyatt describes how he refluffed some things and altered others to produce a better result than refluffing alone would have.)

I'm reminded of a discussion on another forum during the 4E preview days where someone insisted that it was inappropriate to include dragonborn in the PHB because they were "too monstrous" - and when it was pointed out that not everyone felt that way, went on to proclaim that someone who wanted to play one could (using then-current 3E game references) just refluff a human wizard using Burning Hands to emulate dragon breath, Mage Armor to represent scales, and so on, so there was no need to have an actual dragonborn writeup because it could all be solved with refluffing.

Now, compare that idea to the actual dragonborn race in the PHB1 and how the two would play out. It's the same thing I see happening here with the werewolf. Some players are fine with a refluffed shifter or druid (as I'm sure that poster would have been with his refluffed human wizard), but many aren't; it isn't "a hold-over" to create a proper racial writeup for those who prefer it, as long as that writeup is balanced in its own right.
It might be better, especially if you want to make the werewolf a specific race. But if this is the only PC werewolf, and werewolf culture isn't particularly well-worked out then it's not really required.

The main advantage to the Dragonborn Racial stat is that it doesn't require you to be a Wizard, you make a Dragonborn Defender, Striker, Leader or Controller, and each will work. This is very important for them to be a base option.

If you have one player who wants to play a Werewolf that fights beserker style, then a racial write-up isn't all that important (yet) since he's the only one and can be played as a Shifter Barbarian just fine. 

I agree that this is not the way to go for a rulebook, nor if more then 1 players wants to play a Werewolf really, or if Werewolf culture is a big part of the adventuer... but as it is now, it's just one character that wants a werewolf, so just refluffing something close to the concept he has in mind should work just fine. 
Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
Update 5th Sep 2011: Added a sample kingdom, as well as sample of play.