Average Height: 7' 1” - 7' 6”
Average Weight: 165 – 200 lb.

Ability Scores: +2 Intelligence, +2 Strength
Size: Medium
Speed: 6 squares
Vision: Low-Light

Languages: Common, Deep Speech
Skill Bonuses: +2 Dungeoneering, +2 History
Aberrant Origin: Your origin is Aberrant, not Natural.
Purity of Essence: You gain Resist Psychic 5 + ½ your level.
Psionic Link: You and any non-Protoss allies within 5 squares of you gain a +1 bonus to initiative checks.
Psychic Shield: You have the Psychic Shield power.

Psychic Shield
Protoss Racial Power
After a brief moment's concentration, you erect a shimmering blue shield of energy around your body.
Encounter
Minor Action - Personal
Effect: You gain a +2 bonus to AC until the end of your next turn. In addition, you gain 1d8 temporary hit points.
Level 11: 2d8 Temporary hit points
Level 21: 3d8 Temporary Hit Points

The Far Realm is a maddening, unpredictable place. Most creatures that emerge from its depths are equally deranged and destructive. But not all. Born in the dark recesses of that strange world, the protoss are an honorable race of warriors and philosophers, many of whom see the other creatures of their former home realm as abominations to be destroyed mercilessly.

Play a protoss if you want...
  • To be an alien visitor to a strange world.

• To have strong ties to the Psionic and Arcane powers.

• To be connected to your allies with a Psionic Link.

• To be a member of a race that favors the Swordmage, Wizard, Psion, and Monk classes.

Characteristics

Physical Qualities

Protoss are tall, yet incredibly lean, individuals. They are covered in a leathery, scale-like hide, which ranges in color from bright gold, to brown, to white, as well as light blues; they do not have hair, but instead long tendrils of skin covered in a substance similar to that of a human fingernail. Two of these are larger than the others, and are what provide the larger cultural link of the protoss race. Dark Templar, in keeping with their traditions, rituallistically sever these twin tendrils, preventing other protoss from fully reading their minds, though it does not prevent them from speaking to their allies telepathically.

Their eyes glow with a strangely entrancing light, usually gold, whit, or blue, with green being rather rare.

Protoss can live for eons; many Protoss elders are several thousand years old, and most are still fully active. They reach maturity quite quickly, within fifteen years, in fact.

Playing a Protoss

Coming soon.

Racial Backgrounds

Backgrounds

Adjudicator Caste

Prerequisite: Protoss

The Adjudicators are the leaders of the protoss, the equivalant of the "Noble" members of other races. Generally, Adjudicators do not leave their homes, instead living out their long lives leading their people. Why did you leave? Were you exiled for heresy against the Khala? Did you leave of your own free will? Perhaps you never wanted the duties of an Adjudicator in the first place?

Associated Skills: Diplomacy, Bluff, History

Templar Caste

Templar Caste protoss are warriors; they are the most common adventurers, venturing out into the world to right wrongs and prove their worth to the senior members of the Templar order, in the hope of one day attaining the rank of High Templar. What started you on your journey from your home? Is there a specific task you wish to complete? Or are you trying to atone for some past mistake?

Associated Skills: Athletics, Endurance, Intimidate

Khalai Caste

The Khalai are craftsmen and scholars, the backbone of protoss soceity; it is uncommon for one to even hold a weapon, much less use it. Why are you different? What led you away from a life as a blacksmith or a scribe or a farmer? Do you seek greater things for yourself? Are you out for revenge? Or, do you just want to have some fun before you finally "settle down?"

Associated Skills: Dungeoneering, Perception, Streetwise

Nerazim

Long ago banished due to their refusal to accept the Khala, the Nerazim, or "Dark Templar," are a shadowy, mysterious lot. Upon initiation into the order, they ceremoniously sever their nerve tendrils, numbing the powerful psionic link all protoss share with one another, though not killing it completely. Unable to fully channel their natural abilities, the Nerazim instead draw power from "The Void," which many scholars believe to be an aspect of either the Shadowfell or the Far Realm. Nerazim generally leave their tribe only when on tasks of great importance. Were you bid by your Matriarch to halt some great evil? Were you sent to defend a specific person or place? Perhaps you were cast out due to some wrong you commited?

Associated Skills: Acrobatics, Stealth, Thievery

Racial Feats

Heroic Tier

Racial Feats (Heroic)

Psi Blades [Protoss]

Benefit: You gain the ability to manifest, and are proficient with, Psi Blades. These weapons are made of pure energy, but you can magically enchant them. These weapons are a part of you, and cannot be removed in anyway; they are manifested by your mind.

Weapon

Prof.

Damage

Range

Weight

Group

Properties

Psi Blade

+3

d6

--

0 lb.

Light Blade

Off-Hand, High-Crit

Psi Blade Chaneller [Protoss]

Prerequisite: Protoss, Psi Blades Feat

Benefit: Your psi blade adds its enhancement bonus to attack rolls and damage rolls and any extra damage granted by it's high-crit property when used as an implement. You do not gain your weapon proficiency bonus to the attack roll when using your psi blade as an implement.

Zealot's Charge [Protoss]

Prerequisite: Protoss, Psychic Shield racial power

Benefit: Once per encounter, you may use the Zealot's Charge power instead of the Psychic Shield power.

Zealot's Charge
Feat Power
You charge toward your foe, pushed further by your natural psionic powers.
Encounter
Standard Action - Personal
Effect: You charge (with a +2 bonus to speed, and deal an extra 1d4 damage on a successful hit.
Level 11: 2d4 Extra Damage
Level 21: 3d4 Extra Damage

Paragon Tier

Shielded Zealot [Protoss]

Prerequisite: Protoss, Psychic Shield racial power, Zealot's Charge Feat

Benefit: You can use both Energy Shield and Zealot's Charge in any given encounter.

Epic Tier

Coming Soon...?

Racial Paragon Paths

High Templar

High Templar

HighTemplar_SC-FL3_Art1.jpg
"The full force of the Khala flows through me... As you shall soon discover."

Prerequisites: Protoss, Disciple of the Khala Feat

The High Templar are the most devout followers of the Khala, the religious philosophy most Protoss follow. Their powerful connection to this communal link is shown in the length of their nerve tendrils; it is common for the tendrils of a High Templar to trail down to their waist, or even their ankles.

A High Templar is the highest ranking a Protoss can achieve in the Templar caste, and, as such, they are highly respected by the members of the other castes.

Through their intense training, High Templar are able to focus their race’s innate psionic abilities to incredible degrees, even if they manifest no other psionic abilities; this is somewhat rare, however, as most High Templar are usually Psions, or even Monks.

High Templar Path Features
Action of the Khala:
More to come.

High Templar Powers

Hallucination
High Templar Power 11
You create an illusionary copy of yourself, confusing your foe.
Encounter * Conjuration, Illusion
Minor Action - Ranged 5
Effect: You create an illusionary double that occupies 1 square within range. Every round, you can move the Hallucination 3 squares as a move action. The Hallucination lasts until the end of the encounter. The Hallucination looks just like you; any enemy must make an Insight check opposed to your Arcana or Bluff check to discover it is imaginary. If hit, the hallucination dissipates.

Energy Surge
                         High Templar Utility 12
Utilizing your natural psionic prowess, you shield some of your allies in a bubble of energy similar to your own.
Encounter
Standard Action - Close Burst 5
Requirement: You must have used your Energy Shielding racial power this turn.
Effect: Any allies within the burst gain 2d6 temporary hitpoints.
Level 21: Any allies within the burst gain 3d6 temporary hitpoints.

Psionic Storm
High Templar Attack 20
You lash out with the full force of your power, unleashing a storm of psionic fury.
Daily * Psychic, Implement
Standard Action - Area Burst 5 in 10
Target: Each creature in burst.
Attack: Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma vs. Reflex
Hit: 2d8 + Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma modifier Psychic damage, and the target takes Ongoing 5 Psychic Damage (save ends)
Level 21: 3d8 + Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma Modifier Psychic Damage, and the target takes ongoing 10 psychic damage (save ends).

Dark Templar

Dark Templar

DarkTemplar_SC2_Cncpt1.jpg
"Though we may strike from the shadows, we are not afraid to step into the light."

Prerequisites: Protoss, Psi Blades feat.

Descended from the Nerazim tribe, Dark Templar are considered heretics by the protoss who follow the Khala. Believing that the Khala would cause them to lose their individuality, these protoss severed their nerve tendrils, utilizing strong metal "clamps" to prevent the "bleeding" effect; a leakage of raw, psionic energy.

Dark Templar lose their ability to channel the Khala's energies when they go through this ritual, and are also incapable of mastering their own innate abilities. To circumvent this, Dark Templar draw their power from a place they call "The Void," a plane of existence believed to be beyond even the Far Realm, though the veracity of those claims have never been proven.

Dark Templar Path Features
Shadowed Action:
More to come.

Dark Templar Powers

Racial Epic Destinies

Archon

Archon

Archon_by_ValValiant4.png
Coming soon.

Birdies!
None of the ideas seem too outrageous, but this race has too much going on, over-all it seems too powerful.

My suggestion: Drop the Resist Psychic.

I agree that it just has way too much. Just remove some stuff and it won't be as overpowered.

My suggestions:

1) Standardize the ability scores. Granting these sorts of options has become popular since the Changeling came out, but you need to realize that out of all the many races that have been released, the Changeling is the only one able to do this, and the reason for this is that flexibility is the entire point of playing a Changeling. If flexibility isn't a big part of your race's concept (and from what little I know of the Protoss, it's not), then you shouldn't do this, because it doesn't conceptually fit.

2) Bring the speed down to 6. I admit now knowing much about these guys, but I have seen the game played, and speed never struck me as a particularly special point of the race.

3) Telepathy and Psionic Link fill the same conceptual niche in this race's design. Pick one. I'd suggest Psionic Link, because it's more original and interesting. Telepathy would just step too much on the Kalashtar's toes.

4) Just get rid of Psionic Senses. Frankly, giving your race a specific bonus feat is kind of the lazy way out anyways, and if you want them to be perceptive, then just get rid of their racial bonus to Dungeoneering and give them one to Perception instead.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
I decided to just give them a +2 to Strength and Intelligence, and took the speed off by 1. I also got rid of the telepathy. I kept the Psychic Resistance, however, because the aberrant origin is the only other racial trait they have that really effects them; maybe I should just make it a set number per tier, like the genasi...
Birdies!
I think it's perfect the way it is. Unique, interesting, and balanced.
*Thumbs Up*

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
Cool! Thanks, dude; I'll be implementing some feats later (probably for their Psi Blades, and possibly a feat that gives them the option to charge further and deal extra damage one encounter instead of the energy shield, like the zealot), and I all ready have a couple of paragon paths in the works; High Templar (which will be a ranged-controller) and Dark Templar (a melee striker).
Birdies!
I think it's perfect the way it is. Unique, interesting, and balanced.
*Thumbs Up*

This.

Hmm, I need a signature...
looks good.

2 minor points:
- weighs a lot, no?
- granting +1 init to others while not having +1 init itself, seems ... strange.
Qube's block builder: if you want to create blocks for powers, items and monsters for this forum, but don't know html
Signature in a box
For years, I've lived a double life. In the day, I do my job - I ride the bus, roll up my sleeves with the hoi-polloi. But at night, I live a life of exhilaration, of missed heartbeats and adrenalin. And, if the truth be known a life of dubious virtue. I won't deny it - I've been engaged in violence, even indulged in it. I've maimed and killed adversaries, and not merely in self-defence. I've exhibited disregard for life, limb and property, and savoured every moment. You may not think it, to look of me but I have commanded armies, and conquered worlds. And though in achieving these things I've set morality aside, I have no regrets. For though I've led a double life, at least I can say - I've lived.

3.jpg
D&D Home Page - What Monster Are You? - Stone Gaint

Scipio: And Chihuahuas have definitely improved in the "attacking ankles, yapping, and being generally annoying" environment. Me: OK, am I the only who sees an analogy between forum trolls & Chihuahuas?
Some of my work:
XDMC 19 (silver): A full fledged assassins guild (with stats, skill challenges, ...)link XDMC 14 (Bronze): a one shot campaign for beginning DMs/players. link XDMC 16: Paragon path: the Epitome: being better then all then any one else. link (note: this is balanced) XDMC 25: The Gelatinous Cube mount Guide To Disreality: a collection of houserules - Introduction & table of content
My ego in a box
who am I kidding? my ego would never fit in a box
True enough about the initiative; I gave them a +2. As for the weight, it's no more than a goliath or warforged, and they ARE almost all over 7 feet tall...

I also added some feats.
Birdies!
True enough about the initiative; I gave them a +2. As for the weight, it's no more than a goliath or warforged, and they ARE almost all over 7 feet tall...

I also added some feats.

Yes, but they're much leaner than a warforged of goliath, both not just tall but exeptionally massive due to being made largely of rock (or being rock-like)

Overall a nice write-up.  Not so sure about Str/Int, and really this would be a good race to apply the much needed Int/Con bonus to.
While it's true that it was somewhat odd for them to grain allies a bonus to initiative while not having one themselves, I think that a +2 bonus might be pushing it. I think a +1 bonus is enough to fix the oddity without raising balance questions.

Psionic Link: You and any non-Protoss allies within 5 squares of you gain a +1 bonus to initiative checks.

While it's true that it was somewhat odd for them to grain allies a bonus to initiative while not having one themselves, I think that a +2 bonus might be pushing it. I think a +1 bonus is enough to fix the oddity without raising balance questions.

True. Fixed.

Yes, but they're much leaner than a warforged of goliath, both not just tall but exeptionally massive due to being made largely of rock (or being rock-like)

Overall a nice write-up.  Not so sure about Str/Int, and really this would be a good race to apply the much needed Int/Con bonus to.

Makes sense. Fixed. My only issue with Strength/Con is that protoss are consistently portrayed as skilled warriors and psionics; the Energy Shield power helps increase their defenses, so I didn't really think a bonus to Con was necessary.

My major concern currently is the Zealot's Charge feat. I don't think it's overpowered, since using it negates the use of your energy shield that encounter, and vice-versa, but I do wonder if anyone would bother with it; is it too weak, or is it fine the way it is? I based it vaugley of the Gnoll encounter power, but tweaked it a bit.

EDIT: Racial Backgrounds added; Adjudicator, Templar, and Khalai Castes, as well as the Nerazim (Dark Templar).
Birdies!
Add a Paragon tier feat to let you use both per encounter, ala Master of Fire and Darkness.
As for the stat bonuses, this is a tricky one. I'm inclined to say Con/Int is the way to go here, with one little caveat: The Dark Templar background should swap the Int for Cha. They are passionate, as opposed to the regular protoss's mental rigidity.
The Dark Templar background should swap the Int for Cha. They are passionate, as opposed to the regular protoss's mental rigidity.

That just sounds to me like a member of the race who put a higher score into CHA than it did into INT.

I agree with CC on this one; 'sides, it's just a +1. It's not a huge deal.
Birdies!
Add a Paragon tier feat to let you use both per encounter, ala Master of Fire and Darkness.

Oooh... Good idea! Thanks!
Birdies!
Psi Blade Chaneller feat is up; it lets protoss use their psi blades as an implement.

The Dark Templar and High Templar Paths will be up in a moment... As of right now, they are still in their working stages. I have powers figured out, but not much for features. Any and all help, whether just ideas or out-and-out creations, would be very much apreciated!
Birdies!
Sign In to post comments