PEACH - Radiant Chaladin DPS Build

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
I recently put together this build for my brother for our current campaign (we just levelled to 17, and he's just joining in). I went for a Sun-based build for the radiant vulnerability spamming, combined with white lotus riposte and master riposte combined with sword burst to give a large number of enemies pause when considering to attack the paladin. Combined with forceful challenge (which we have ruled as an immediate interrupt effect) I hope to have him act as a versatile defender whilst dishing out some decent DPS.

I've calculated that with his at-will sword burst, he can be doing 1d6+4 (base) +5 (Pelor's Blessing) +4 (radiant weapon bonus) + 10 (burning radiance vulnerability bonus) + 5 (solar enemy vulnerability bonus), for a total of 1d6+28.

If they then hit him back, he repeats the attack in a burst, for another potential 1d6+28 damage, plus white lotus riposte's damage effect for another 21 (1 INT + 15 Vuln. + 5 Pelor's Blessing) damage.

With full vulnerability on his foes, his divine challenge and sanctions are able to output 32 (12+15 vulnerable + 5 Pelor's Blessing) damage per hit, and he drags his enemies away from his allies before they can deal damage, so long as they dont have reach.

I have a few questions however:
Is there any advantage in going for eldritch strike for my half-elf power instead?
Could I have opted for a better feat selection?
Are the item choices optimal?

Build

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
The Lord Protector, level 17
Half-Elf, Paladin, Morninglord
Build: Ardent Paladin
Arcane Implement Proficiency: Arcane Implement Proficiency (heavy blade group)
Background: Divinely Inspired (+2 to Insight)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 11, Con 16, Dex 9, Int 12, Wis 20, Cha 22.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 13, Dex 8, Int 11, Wis 16, Cha 16.

AC: 33 Fort: 26 Reflex: 24 Will: 29
HP: 127 Surges: 13 Surge Value: 31

TRAINED SKILLS
Religion +14, Insight +22, Heal +18, Diplomacy +21, Perception +18

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +5, Arcana +9, Bluff +14, Dungeoneering +13, Endurance +9, History +9, Intimidate +14, Nature +13, Stealth +5, Streetwise +14, Thievery +5, Athletics +6

FEATS
Level 1: Bardic Dilettante
Level 2: White Lotus Riposte
Level 4: Solar Enemy
Level 6: Arcane Implement Proficiency
Level 8: Focused Expertise (Fullblade)
Level 10: Weapon Proficiency (Fullblade)
Level 11: White Lotus Master Riposte
Level 12: Versatile Master
Level 14: Combat Virtuoso
Level 16: Forceful Challenge

POWERS
Dilettante: Sword Burst
Lay on Hands: Ardent Vow
Paladin at-will 1: Virtuous Strike
Paladin at-will 1: Ardent Strike
Paladin encounter 1: Valorous Smite
Paladin daily 1: Majestic Halo
Paladin utility 2: Bless Weapon
Paladin encounter 3: Invigorating Smite
Paladin daily 5: Unyielding Faith
Paladin utility 6: Wrath of the Gods
Paladin encounter 7: Blade of Light
Paladin daily 9: Crown of Glory
Paladin utility 10: Vengeful Vigilance
Paladin encounter 13: Castigating Strike (replaces Invigorating Smite)
Paladin daily 15: Divine Vengeance (replaces Crown of Glory)
Paladin utility 16: Divine Aegis
Paladin encounter 17: Wrathful Smite (replaces Castigating Strike)

ITEMS
Warplate Armor of Dwarven Vigor +4, Pelor's Sun Blessing (level 3), Amulet of Protection +4, Radiant Fullblade +4
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

It's 4:48am here, and I just woke up, so I might be missing something obvious, but...

How are you hitting with Sword Burst with 12 Final Int? It's an Int vs Ref attack.
Have a coffee Auspex - he's got Combat Virtuoso ;O)
Why fullblade? You mark a lot and expect to have a lot of opponents around you? wouldn't you prefer long/bastard sword and heavy board?

Maybe you should take Combat virtuoso a little bit faster? in Heroic perhaps?
I posted up a similarish build - The Radiant Knight of Pelor - which isn't quite finished, but may give some ideas.

Admittedly it does use Windride Ports cheese, vut it may have some ideas for other things you can sue.
Have a coffee Auspex - he's got Combat Virtuoso ;O)

Thank you

Looking at this after having had a lot of coffee (I manage a Starbucks), I'm embarassed at how much I missed. Bardic Dilettante is right there at the beginning of the feats list... /sigh
Why fullblade? You mark a lot and expect to have a lot of opponents around you? wouldn't you prefer long/bastard sword and heavy board?

I second this.  Swordburst, your bread and butter, gains no benefit from a Fullblade while a Heavy Shield is huge bonus.  Switch out Fullblade Proficiency with Combat Virtuoso and replace that feat slot with Honored Foe.

Also, this Paladin needs the Symbol of Divine Light.

I have a few questions however:
Is there any advantage in going for eldritch strike for my half-elf power instead?
Could I have opted for a better feat selection?
Are the item choices optimal?

Unless you want to create a fisherman, sword burst is just perfect (winged horde would also work ok). I think that pelor's blessing is too unreliable to use it in a build (has gold value, but is no "item", you cannot buy it/create it, getting it & duration completely relies on DM fiat). You can use a Symbol of Divine Light comes to mind for another +5 vulnerability however, so the loss isn't that big... 

Ok, following the suggestions here, I have come up with this new build, which is actually able to dish out even more radiant damage than the original.

Attack:
Sword Burst - Burst 1, +20 vs. Reflex, 1d6+5 (base) +5 (Pelor's Blessing) +4 (Radiant Weapon) +10 (burning radiance vulnerability) +5 (solar enemy vulnerability) +5 (holy symbol bonus), for a total of 1d6+34.
For an additional -2 to hit, he can add +5 damage and gives all enemies combat advantage against him (this is used in combo with Righteous Armour, below).

Defenses:
If he is attacked by an enemy he hit with Sword Burst, he can attack them again for another 1d6+34/39 damage from White Lotus Master Riposte, plus another 26 damage from White Lotus Riposte.
If he is granting combat advantage to the enemy, they are then hit for another 29 damage from the Righteous Armour.

Maximum: 1d6+39+26+29 = 1d6+94 radiant damage from just being hit.

Marking:
Enemies that he has marked that don't attack him take 37 damage with full vulnerability in addition to be dragged out of reach of their targets, thus unable to hit unless they have reach.

Build
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
The Lord Protector, level 17
Half-Elf, Paladin, Morninglord
Build: Ardent Paladin
Arcane Implement Proficiency: Arcane Implement Proficiency (heavy blade group)
Background: Divinely Inspired (+2 to Insight)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 11, Con 16, Dex 9, Int 12, Wis 20, Cha 22.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 13, Dex 8, Int 11, Wis 16, Cha 16.

AC: 35 Fort: 24 Reflex: 24 Will: 27
HP: 127 Surges: 13 Surge Value: 31

TRAINED SKILLS
Religion +14, Insight +22, Heal +18, Diplomacy +21, Perception +18

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +3, Arcana +9, Bluff +14, Dungeoneering +13, Endurance +7, History +9, Intimidate +14, Nature +13, Stealth +3, Streetwise +14, Thievery +3, Athletics +4

FEATS
Level 1: Bardic Dilettante
Level 2: White Lotus Riposte
Level 4: Solar Enemy
Level 6: Arcane Implement Proficiency
Level 8: Focused Expertise (Longsword)
Level 10: Combat Virtuoso
Level 11: White Lotus Master Riposte
Level 12: Versatile Master
Level 14: Honored Foe
Level 16: Forceful Challenge

POWERS
Dilettante: Sword Burst
Lay on Hands: Ardent Vow
Paladin at-will 1: Virtuous Strike
Paladin at-will 1: Ardent Strike
Paladin encounter 1: Valorous Smite
Paladin daily 1: Majestic Halo
Paladin utility 2: Bless Weapon
Paladin encounter 3: Invigorating Smite
Paladin daily 5: Unyielding Faith
Paladin utility 6: Wrath of the Gods
Paladin encounter 7: Blade of Light
Paladin daily 9: Crown of Glory
Paladin utility 10: Vengeful Vigilance
Paladin encounter 13: Castigating Strike (replaces Invigorating Smite)
Paladin daily 15: Divine Vengeance (replaces Crown of Glory)
Paladin utility 16: Divine Aegis
Paladin encounter 17: Wrathful Smite (replaces Castigating Strike)

ITEMS
Pelor's Sun Blessing, Radiant Longsword +4, Waistband of the Grappler (paragon tier), Heavy Shield, Symbol of Divine Light +4, Righteous Warplate Armor +4, Amulet of Mental Resolve +2
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

If he is granting combat advantage to the enemy, they are then hit for another 29 damage from the Righteous Armour.

You can drop prone as a minor to grant CA
Waistband of the grappler is best for this - you are always granting CA in return for extra damage.
Waistband of the grappler is best for this - you are always granting CA in return for extra damage.

-2 to attack hurts, and crawling isn't that great for mobility.

If you want to grant combat advantage, just close your eyes -> all your enemies are invisible -> you grant CA and a +5 to hit.

If you want to grant combat advantage, just close your eyes -> all your enemies are invisible -> you grant CA and a +5 to hit.

Why the +5 to hit?  Enemies only gain a +2 due to CA by being in total concealment.  You take the -5 penalty to attack them, right?  If that's the case, just free-action open your eyes before making an attack.

Why the +5 to hit?  Enemies only gain a +2 due to CA by being in total concealment.  You take the -5 penalty to attack them, right?  If that's the case, just free-action open your eyes before making an attack.

Yes, mixup sorry. Actually, you can keep your eyes closed since close and area attacks don't  get penalties from total concealment anyway.

By the way, i took the liberty to combine a heavy marking build with this one, and present to you:

Lord Mark the Almost Blind
Lord Mark

Lord Mark the (almost) Blind

Basic Idea:
Lord Mark is blind - almost: Every round, he takes a little peek so he knows where his enemies are, but he doesn't look during the actual attack. Benefit: With closed eyes, you are blind, thus your enemies are invisible and gain
CA against you.

Attack:
Winged Horde (5x5 area, ranged 10) doesn't get penalties due to concealment (area attack), but provokes OA's (unfortunately only if the targets were not hit by winged horde so far). Hit: enemies are now vulnerable to radiant 23, are marked for a -6 to hit penalty (mark, mark of warding, group defenses, psychic lock), cannot make OAs or flank. As a minor action, increase the radiant vulnerability to 28 with solar enemy. 

Being Attacked:
Fortunately, Lord Mark's defenses are low compared to the rest of the group: between a -6 penalty to hit vs. all others and CA vs. the blind Lord Mark, the choice should seem obvious. Assuming a hit by a marked target, get 8 temp. hitpoints (honored foe) and DR 5, which should negate some, but not all damage. Now proceed to deal radiant damage from both White Lotus Riposte (2) and Righteous Armor (6), modified by radiant vulnerabiliy (->30 and 34, or 64 total). This works for every enemy marked by you.  

Race: Half-Elf
Class: Paladin
Multi: Bard, Warden
PP: Morninglord
ED: Demigood
Background: Windrise*

*(or, if you dislike windrise, Paladin|Bard MC Warden)

Stats:
Str:  8->10
Con: 10-12->14
int: 12->14
Dex: 12->14
wis: 16->26
Cha: 16-18->28

Feats:
Focused Expertise (Longsword), Solar Enemy, White Lotus Riposte, Arcane Implement Proficiency, Bardic Dilettante, Combat Virtuoso, White Lotus Master Riposte, Versatile Master, Honored Foe, Forceful Challenge, Arcane Admixture(thunder), Resounding Thunder, Psychic Lock, Group Defenses, Mark of Warding, Epic Fortitude, Epic Reflexes, Robust Defenses

Items:
Weapon: Radiant Longsword +6 &Shard of Radiance
Shield: (mundane) Heavy Shield
Implement: Symbol of Divine Light +4
Armor: Righteous Tarrasqueplate Armor +6
Arms:
Hands:
Head: headband of intellect
Waist: Sash of Regeneration
Feet: Spark Slippers
Ring1: Shadow Band
Ring2: Ring of Tenacous Will
Boon: Pelor's Sun Blessing*

*if available

Hehehe, A most ammusing build. And effective, too.
SongNSilence, that's a terrific build - brutal with a splash of hilarity.  I can't wait to try out Lord Mark.

Let me know if this is incorrect, but apparently being blinded only treats enemies as having total concealment and not invisibility (PHB 277).  I'm guessing it's because you can't see them, but you can still hear them.  Invisibility causes total concealment but the reverse is not true (PHB 281). 

The distinction? 
Total concealment still provokes attacks of opp while invisibility does not.  This means enemies can still provoke from Lord Mark, who will open his eyes before the attack of op, attack without penalty, then shut his eyes afterwards granting the enemy CA once again.
SongNSilence, that's a terrific build - brutal with a splash of hilarity.  I can't wait to try out Lord Mark.

Let me know if this is incorrect, but apparently being blinded only treats enemies as having total concealment and not invisibility (PHB 277).  I'm guessing it's because you can't see them, but you can still hear them.  Invisibility causes total concealment but the reverse is not true (PHB 281). 

The distinction? 
Total concealment still provokes attacks of opp while invisibility does not.  This means enemies can still provoke from Lord Mark, who will open his eyes before the attack of op, attack without penalty, then shut his eyes afterwards granting the enemy CA once again.

You can't take OAs if you can't see your target.

Reference?  I don't see where this is coming from in the PHB.

I checked the penalties listed under Blinded, nowhere does it say you can't take opportunity attacks.  Contrast this with Dazed, which do specify that you cannot take immediate or opportunity actions.

Reference?  Nothing personal but I don't see where this is coming from in the PHB.

p. 290 Opportunity Attack

Able to attack: You can't make an opportunity attack unless you are able to make a basic attack and you can see your enemy.
Bollocks... Frown
Sorry, there's things i don't understand in the lord mark build.

Pls enlight me :

1) What feat / power make the Winged Horde mark all target ?

2) How did the
Winged Horde gain the radiant keyword for trigering the burning radiance  of morninglord.

3) How do you go up to 23 radiant vulnerabilité (10 for the Burning radiance and 5 for the implement but i miss 8 of them)

thx for answers.
Sorry, there's things i don't understand in the lord mark build.

Pls enlight me :

1) What feat / power make the Winged Horde mark all target ?

Dilettante's Mark

2) How did the Winged Horde gain the radiant keyword for trigering the burning radiance  of morninglord.

radiant weapon

3) How do you go up to 23 radiant vulnerabilité (10 for the Burning radiance and 5 for the implement but i miss 8 of them)

pelors sun blessing
Sign In to post comments